2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

That's really weird. There must be more to the story. It certainly comes across as if they were not close to Dawson but I don't get the laughter.
Me too. That was a very bad sign. At least to me without knowing anything behind the scenes. Disrespectful on the surface, but like you said there has to be more that maybe there is an explanation. Maybe they did talk, he reminded them he has a bigger schlong and they didn't want to talk about it.

Dawson's dad was hospitalized in December, yet he continued to play until 1/22. His numbers significantly dropped the last month he played, and his dad's health likely played a role in that.

Then there was this post 4 days after his last game played:

The Dawson stuff getting a bit crazy. Hopefully the family issue turns out well. Will need way more info before judging any potential handling of the situation.

At that point his dad was doing better and was interviewed shortly after about how he was going through family health issues.

My guess is the UNC players felt like he quit on them midseason.

The system is designed for five years, if you assume a redshirt freshman year. I don't know how much that happens in basketball though, probably far less than in football.
Well yeah, 5 years of playing basketball.

Very few college basketball players RS. So the system is designed for most players to have 4 years of eligibility to play.

If either Garcia or Walton are destined for maroon and gold they already know it and Ben does too.
Judging by Walton's commitment announcement I'm not sure he knows where he's going. He seemed very torn over that decision.

Does Ben want both of these guys ? Very little improvement in their games. Does not mean that i think they would not be helpful. They are very finesse type players so far.

I knew Dawson chose Marquette, but I missed that he seriously considered pursuing the NBA and then pulled out and transferred to North Carolina, quit and returned home.
I hope his family is healthier. Playing for the Gophers would seem like a win all around.

Does Ben want both of these guys ? Very little improvement in their games. Does not mean that i think they would not be helpful. They are very finesse type players so far.
Is Dawson better than Charlie Daniels? We can use a 6'11 guy who averages 10 ppg, I'd say.
Having said that his next school will be his third and he is likely thinking NBA following next year...so?
If Walton came now he'd be our most experienced guard, but he did disappear. Gotta know who else we can get.

Seeing Ramey from Texas is in the portal and looking at the Longhorns roster, does Carr have one more year to play? Could that be? (He has only "played four" and now with the extra year....I have to be looking at things incorrectly.)

If true, that (one) seems impossible...that Carr has another year of eligibility.
But. (two) it's cool because he had a year stolen from him.
Yeah, the clock runs incredibly slow for someone who redshirts.

2017-2018 - PITT - (1 of 4)
2018-2019- MN - REDSHIRT -
2019-2020 - MN - (2 of 4)
2020-2021 - MN - FREE YEAR (COVID)
2021 -2022 - TX - (3 of 4)
2022 - 2023 - ??????

That's really weird. There must be more to the story. It certainly comes across as if they were not close to Dawson but I don't get the laughter.
Yeah, no clue what to make of that response to the question. Very odd.

Yeah, no clue what to make of that response to the question. Very odd.
When this first came out, I read some of the responses on the UNC board....a lot of them were saying it was taken out of context and that the players were laughing at the previous question and that they didn't know how to answer the question since Garcia had just "disappeared".....just what i read.

When this first came out, I read some of the responses on the UNC board....a lot of them were saying it was taken out of context and that the players were laughing at the previous question and that they didn't know how to answer the question since Garcia had just "disappeared".....just what i read.
Screenshot_20220331-214515_ESPN.jpg

Wondering if it is possible that Garcia thought he'd play more when he transferred, but Manek and Bacot didn't leave that many frontcourt minutes. That, plus the family issues, might have been enough for him to say "F it all" and just take off for home. IF that's the case, I can see both Dawson's and his teammates' sides.

I didn't see the whole presser so maybe the laughing was out of context but for all 5 to blank stare and not even offer a reply is weird. Even if you just say "hey ya know it's been hectic we didn't have time right after the game but we wish him the best". I'd be pretty surprised if either is back there, not saying they are locks here but

That response came off really odd.

Even if Dawson left the team abruptly it's a shitty response by those guys. Definitely not a ringing endorsement of their character.

Carr isn't someone who's going to get drafted, so his options are either stay in school, or try to make the G league/play overseas.
Has to be a tough call for him. Sure his dream is to play in the NBA but yeah, he is a fringe guy and someone that won't get drafted. So will have to decide if his odds improve with another year of college or a jump to the G League.

Carr isn't someone who's going to get drafted, so his options are either stay in school, or try to make the G league/play overseas.

Yes, but I think his chances of being able to play overseas somewhere or the G League next season are pretty high. I really don't know what returning to school would do for him unless he wants to pick up additional credits.

Has to be a tough call for him. Sure his dream is to play in the NBA but yeah, he is a fringe guy and someone that won't get drafted. So will have to decide if his odds improve with another year of college or a jump to the G League.
With NIL and fan attendance (maybe 8-10K per game at Texas?) I would prefer to play an extra year for a good program and make another run in the NCAA tournament, and take a few more classes to boot.

Nobody gives a shit about G league games. Here's a shot from a recent Iowa Wolves G League game. There are what, 25 fans on that side of the arena? And if you go to the G League you have less control over where you end up living.

@eker0016 "I would prefer to play an extra year for a good program and make another run in the NCAA tournament"
Yeah, if I were Carr, (I am not, my skills were just a tad under his) and not weary of school, I would let it play out and see who Beard brings in through the portal. Supposedly on Terrance Shannon, KJ Williams and Fardaws Aimaq

Yes, but I think his chances of being able to play overseas somewhere or the G League next season are pretty high. I really don't know what returning to school would do for him unless he wants to pick up additional credits.

I think the chance of making a deeper tournament run would be the main thing to bring him back. Austin is also a fun city to live in.

With NIL and fan attendance (maybe 8-10K per game at Texas?) I would prefer to play an extra year for a good program and make another run in the NCAA tournament, and take a few more classes to boot.

Sure, there are positives but he's been in college for 5 years already. Lots of people get sick of going to school after awhile; it's just another time consuming activity that can be a significant distraction depending upon your immediate goals. Nate Reuvers very likely could have found another basketball scholarship at a decent program last summer but he chose to devote his efforts to beginning his pro career. He played for an Adriatic League team located in Croatia this past season and did pretty well.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't try to go make some money playing hoops now.

Top Bottom