2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I think the chance of making a deeper tournament run would be the main thing to bring him back. Austin is also a fun city to live in.

Yes, other than being hotter than hell in the summer (and even pretty hot during the day by late March), it is a great city to be a young person. Still, if he earned what he wanted in terms of college credits and really wants to be a pro, then he would be better off starting that career like Nate Reuvers decided to do after briefly having his name in the portal last offseason.

With NIL and fan attendance (maybe 8-10K per game at Texas?) I would prefer to play an extra year for a good program and make another run in the NCAA tournament, and take a few more classes to boot.

Nobody gives a shit about G league games. Here's a shot from a recent Iowa Wolves G League game. There are what, 25 fans on that side of the arena? And if you go to the G League you have less control over where you end up living.
Yeah for kids though, they may want to be done with school. That's the main difference. Also there is some money to be had in Europe and their earning potential is only so many years. We will continue to see if the NIL catches up or not and start to make a difference.

and not weary of school, I would let it play out and see who Beard brings in through the portal.

Good qualifier. That's not a factor to be underestimated!

Portal Alert:

In the last 16 hours, there have been only 9 updates to the list on Verbal Commits. Six of those were commitment announcements. Still very early but I do wonder if this could be the beginning of two trends:

1) A slow down in the rate of entry; and

2) A pick up in the rate of commitments.

Given the size of the portal a few weeks ago, the portal is larger than I expected it to be by April 1st but maybe people are just entering earlier this year. There have been a pretty small number of announced commitments so far but maybe those are due to pick up the pace. Hope Ben doesn't dawdle too much here.

Portal Alert:

In the last 16 hours, there have been only 9 updates to the list on Verbal Commits. Six of those were commitment announcements. Still very early but I do wonder if this could be the beginning of two trends:

Given the size of the portal a few weeks ago, the portal is larger than I expected it to be by April 1st but maybe people are just entering earlier this year. There have been a pretty small number of announced commitments so far but maybe those are due to pick up the pace. Hope Ben doesn't dawdle too much here.
Dawdle? So dumb. Yeah, I bet he’s just hanging out, hoping those players he is interested in commit here on their own. Maybe he’ll even consider a quick text, or even a phone call.

Dawdle? So dumb. Yeah, I bet he’s just hanging out, hoping those players he is interested in commit here on their own. Maybe he’ll even consider a quick text, or even a phone call.

Go stuff a sock down your throat, oaf! That comment wasn't meant to be taken as an accusation.

Are you one of these clowns who just scours forum threads to see if there is something remotely capable of being attacked and then do so with heavy handed foolishness? That was a rhetorical question.

Portal Alert:

Yeah there seems to be waves of entries. We had our initial one, now with commitments coming in, we will see a wave from those. It's quite the ride

Disappointed Gophers didn’t even get a sniff from NDSU transfer Sam Griesel. Really good player. Chose hometown Nebraska.

Go stuff a sock down your throat, oaf! That comment wasn't meant to be taken as an accusation.

Are you one of these clowns who just scours forum threads to see if there is something remotely capable of being attacked and then do so with heavy handed foolishness? That was a rhetorical question.
Relax. No history of that. You can jump on people, but struggle when people call you out for a shallow comment. You're the one that said, "dawdle," not me. Wow.

I know Ben and staff are out talking with potential players and making contacts. Some they continue to have interest in, some they won't after talking with them and learning more. So many people think no noise means there isn't recruiting happening, or if a kid picks another school it means Ben didn't reach out or they weren't interested. Often means Ben and staff weren't interested. Sometimes the kids find a better fit.

We want the same thing... more talent. Sorry if you were insulted. I'll still go stuff a sock down my throat though :)

Last edited:

Disappointed Gophers didn’t even get a sniff from NDSU transfer Sam Griesel. Really good player. Chose hometown Nebraska.

Yes, but at least this one is fully understandable and, since he committed so quickly, it was obviously the offer he wanted most. It would have been worse if he were offered, waited a month, and chose Penn State or Rutgers over the Gophers.

Relax. No history of that. You can jump on people, but struggle when people call you out for a shallow comment. You're the one that said, "dawdle," not me. Wow.

I know Ben and staff are out talking with potential players and making contacts. Some they continue to have interest in, some they won't after talking with them and learning more. So many people think no noise means there isn't recruiting happening, or if a kid picks another school it means Ben didn't reach out or they weren't interested. Often means Ben and staff weren't interested.

We want the same thing... more talent. I'll still go stuff a sock down my throat though :)

I said "I hope Ben doesn't dawdle too much here." I didn't accuse him of dawdling already and "dawdling" just means moving slowly. Yes, it was just an off-the-cuff shallow remark that wasn't meant to be taken literally or have much read into it. The main point to the post was speculating about whether we were at the beginning of a phase of rising commitments.

I said "I hope Ben doesn't dawdle too much here." I didn't accuse him of dawdling already and "dawdling" just means moving slowly. Yes, it was just an off-the-cuff shallow remark that wasn't meant to be taken literally or have much read into it. The main point to the post was speculating about whether we were at the beginning of a phase of rising commitments.
Doogie keeps saying "it would be quicker to list the guys in the portal the Gophers haven't contacted" so I don't think it's a matter of dawdling.

I'm sure Ben is grinding, needs to be able to close though. It'd be cool if he can land somebody that maybe we thought was a stretch.

Besides that, Jones, Walton and Garcia would all be solid and those aren't even reaches I wouldn't think. Should be able to compete to get those guys.

and the player has to want to go to MN - or at least be willing to consider it.

If the Gophers contact player X, and his response is "no f***ing way am I going to MN..."
then it would probably be a waste of time to keep trying to recruit that player.

If I could draw a Venn diagram, one circle would be
"players who have interest in MN"
and the other circle would be
"players the Gopher coaches are interested in."

and the area where the two circles intersect is what you focus on to try and seal the deal.

and the player has to want to go to MN - or at least be willing to consider it.

If the Gophers contact player X, and his response is "no f***ing way am I going to MN..."
then it would probably be a waste of time to keep trying to recruit that player.

If I could draw a Venn diagram, one circle would be
"players who have interest in MN"
and the other circle would be
"players the Gopher coaches are interested in."

and the area where the two circles intersect is what you focus on to try and seal the deal.
Reminds me of my dating days.........

Made the top 6 for Sessoms. Kind of a weird group, MICH/MN/MISS ST but then George Mason UTEP and Coppin St? Either way, would be a nice start.
We never seem to get the guys who include on in these lists. Maybe I'm forgetting, but I don't recall any of the transfers from last year releasing a "final X" before they committed to MN.

Portal Alert:

Just had a break at work and checked VC and all sorts of interesting names in the last hour--Arkansas' KK Robinson, Butler's Simas Lukosius, Pitt's Femi Odukale, Louisville's Matt Cross, LSU's Mwani Wilkinson. Idaho State's Robert Ford III (not to be confused with U. of South Dakota footballer, Robert Ford III).

I'm expecting to see my name in the portal very soon. I may or may not have dreamt that.

That one dude that wisconsin is reaching out to, Patrick Cartier Div II, shoots a really high %
43.8% on 3's and 66% overall. (Parker Fox addition piqued my interest.)

Made the top 6 for Sessoms. Kind of a weird group, MICH/MN/MISS ST but then George Mason UTEP and Coppin St? Either way, would be a nice start.
Goes to show the difference maybe maturity of some of the older players making moves. It's not just about the name of the school. It's fit, winning, playing time and maybe academic endeavors.
1000 in the portal and all are not getting spots on rosters next year and likely aren't even getting the offers they thought.

That one dude that wisconsin is reaching out to, Patrick Cartier Div II, shoots a really high %
43.8% on 3's and 66% overall. (Parker Fox addition piqued my interest.)
He averaged making one 3pt shot a game. He's a forward who can get to the line. Not recruited for his three point shooting ability.

Side note I spring breaked three years ago at a family resort that the Hillsdale Football team chose to be at. Dad's were not fond of the boys hitting on their HS daughters to say the lease. Bunch of tools.

Sessoms has his commitment date for May 1st...come on man

I don't think you wait for him if you can grab other guys, not holding my breath he picks us here anyway.

Top Bottom