2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Yeah, the clock runs incredibly slow for someone who redshirts.

2017-2018 - PITT - (1 of 4)
2018-2019- MN - REDSHIRT -
2019-2020 - MN - (2 of 4)
2020-2021 - MN - FREE YEAR (COVID)
2021 -2022 - TX - (3 of 4)
2022 - 2023 - ??????
Him not being eligible in 18-19 still pisses me off. That would have been a really good team with him.

Made the top 6 for Sessoms. Kind of a weird group, MICH/MN/MISS ST but then George Mason UTEP and Coppin St? Either way, would be a nice start.
Seems like the kind of list where you have 3 realistic choices (Mich/MN/Miss St) and then you throw the other 3 on there as an ego boost to yourself.

I would definitely be happy with him. Seemed like a speedy and tough guy.

I didn't mean anything by it, other than I find it shocking that players still will commit to a school who I assume is going to face NCAA sanctions......
I guess i spoke too soon.....every scholarship player from LSU has entered the portal or turned pro.....

Would love to get Sessoms. That said, hard to envision a guy transferring from one bottom Big Ten program to one that’s even lower on the totem pole. Makes no sense. This smells like Michigan to me.
Maybe he is looking for more playing time/ball dominance at a high level. He lost his starting job, and had several games where he saw low minutes (7, 12, 21, 22, 22 minutes).

Payton Willis is gone and Ben could sell him on the opportunity to get his 35 minutes per game and be more of a scorer.

Maybe he is looking for more playing time/ball dominance at a high level. He lost his starting job, and had several games where he saw low minutes (7, 12, 21, 22, 22 minutes).

Payton Willis is gone and Ben could sell him on the opportunity to get his 35 minutes per game and be more of a scorer.

I don't know. Sessoms has played on 4 losing teams over the past 4 years. He has only one more chance to experience some team success in his college career. I'm not saying that couldn't be our team but, to an outsider, the chances probably don't look as good as they might with another team. On the other hand, that is a weird list. Except for Michigan, the prospects don't look like they have great potential for success although UTEP at least won 20 games.

Last edited:

I don't know. Sessoms has played on 4 losing teams over the past 4 years. He has only one more chance to experience some team success in his college career. I'm not saying that couldn't be our team but, to an outsider, the chances probably don't look as good as they might with another team. On the other hand, that is a weird list. Except for Michigan, the prospects don't look like they have great potential for success although UTEP at least won 20 games.
Yup I agree it's a weird list. Michigan is graduating Devante Jones (29 mpg) and Eli Brooks (36 mpg), which leaves a huge hole. I have no idea about who they have coming in or who is ready to step up. I would guess they are the favorite, knowing their need and recent success in the tournament.

Mississippi State has a very high usage point guard in Iverson Molinar (34 mpg, 18 ppg, 25% 3PT!) who declared for the NBA but didn't hire an agent. So there could be a huge role there...or not if he returns.

Payton Willis fits a similar high usage point guard mold as Michigan and Mississippi State which is why I think it is about playing time/wanting to be showcased. With how well Willis played I think we definitely have a shot.

Yup I agree it's a weird list. Michigan is graduating Devante Jones (29 mpg) and Eli Brooks (36 mpg), which leaves a huge hole. I have no idea about who they have coming in or who is ready to step up. I would guess they are the favorite, knowing their need and recent success in the tournament.

Mississippi State has a very high usage point guard in Iverson Molinar (34 mpg, 18 ppg, 25% 3PT!) who declared for the NBA but didn't hire an agent. So there could be a huge role there...or not if he returns.

Payton Willis fits a similar high usage point guard mold as Michigan and Mississippi State which is why I think it is about playing time/wanting to be showcased. With how well Willis played I think we definitely have a shot.

Good info!

I didn't realize that MS State hired the New Mexico State coach. He certainly had a lot of success with his former team. They don't have a lot of transfers so far (2) for a team with a coaching change.

4 Big Ten teams with no outbound transfers listed so far: Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers, and Ohio State.
383 of the 1,102 entries are Freshmen. (Which of course has nothing to do with your post. Just more info on the transfers overall.)
Did Ryan Young (Northwestern) enter the portal? He’s a guy that could help the Gopher frontcourt. Nothing flashy, but crafty around the basket.
Yes. Was just looking at his stats.

Last edited:

SEC - 46 (LSU with their mass exodus)
Pac12 -30
ACC - 26
Big12 - 23
Big 10 - 22
Big East - 10

FWIW - players are individuals. So each person entering the portal has his or her own reasons for wanting to leave their current program, and they have different criteria for choosing a new program.

If the only criteria is "I want to play for a winner," then MN is not going to get a single player from the portal.

But, that is not the only criteria. Some people may prioritize playing time - or a different offensive approach - or a different coaching style. Location may matter in some cases.

some players may just want to feel wanted. "they like me!"

MN - at least in its current situation - is not going to be seen as a springboard to the pros, or a place to win championships. The Gopher coaches have to come up with other selling points, and then they have to identify players who would be receptive to those selling points.

In the end, someone will put on the jersey and play for the Gophers next year.

at least for the Men's team...................the Women's team, now that's a different story.........

Did Ryan Young (Northwestern) enter the portal? He’s a guy that could help the Gopher frontcourt. Nothing flashy, but crafty around the basket.

I thought I saw him in the portal a couple of weeks ago but he wasn't there when I checked the Big Ten schools yesterday. Maybe he pulled his name out like a number of Penn State players did last year.

383 of the 1,102 entries are Freshmen. (Which of course has nothing to do with your post. Just more info on the transfers overall.)

Yes. Was just looking at his stats.

Yeah, it's freshmen heavy. I'm a little surprised by that because I would think after soph year and after graduating would be the best times to transfer.

The Presbyterian transfer, Rayshon Harrison. On the 3's he was .243 this year, but didn't stop him from launching 218 of them. That's more attempts than Battle.
Looks like he shot 35% as a freshman from 3PT, but geez the guy is jacking up shots right and left. I counted 6 games with 20 or more shots this season alone. Went 3/16 from the field (0/8 3PT) in their opener against Clemson, 6/15 against Cincinatti, and 3/10 against Tennessee.

Good FT shooter (85%) and decent rebounder for a guard.

Wonder how he would do as the ~3rd fiddle here.

Top Bottom