2022-2023 Other Bowl Games Thread

A few weeks ago after the USC/UCLA game, an old friend texted about how good USC looked and that they would be a good CFP team. I commented that USC defense was optional. Wow. Kudos to Tulane, but holy crap USC. They play defense like Oklahoma...

I didn't get that either. That was a brutal, brutal hit, and he definitely lowered the crown on the hit. If after that, they would have let the incomplete call on the TD stand, I would have said they were in the tank for USC.

That's EXACTLY the type of hit they're trying to remove from the game. Both guys were knocked out for gawd's sake.

63-7 WTF Purdue. I had a feeling they might get beat up a bit but that is a total meltdown. Good thing they got Drew Brees on board to help with the offense before the game LOL.

Both guys were knocked out for gawd's sake.
Maybe. I don’t think they ever showed Watts after the hit. They spent the next 20 minutes showing the USC player on the bench, and Caleb Williams sitting there staring at the sky.

I gotta say, if that wasn't targeting by USC, the NCAA just needs to get rid of the rule. We've seen multiple headfirst hard spearing hits in bowl games and none have been called targeting. The NCAA is definitely not taking headfirst hits out of the game.
Yeah, the announcers kept talking about the “ crown “ of the helmet like the front of the helmet hit is minimal.

Announcers just mentioned both PSU O-Tackles opted out of playing in the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl. Unbelievable how the game has changed over the past decade.

Yeah, the announcers kept talking about the “ crown “ of the helmet like the front of the helmet hit is minimal.

Agreed. One of the hardest hits in football is forehead to opposing player's chin or earhole. I suppose that's technically legal now if it's just the "crown" of the helmet. Unreal.

63-7 WTF Purdue. I had a feeling they might get beat up a bit but that is a total meltdown. Good thing they got Drew Brees on board to help with the offense before the game LOL.
In a "positive" note they didn't get shut out.

Can't believe Gophers lost to them!

Announcers just mentioned both PSU O-Tackles opted out of playing in the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl. Unbelievable how the game has changed over the past decade.
As a fan I don’t like it, but it’s hard for me to blame a guy who has a multi million dollar contract waiting for him for not taking the risk.

And standing on the sidelines looking like buffoons, they wouldn't be out there if it was me...go prepare the combine

As a fan I don’t like it, but it’s hard for me to blame a guy who has a multi million dollar contract waiting for him for not taking the risk.
Agreed, but some of these players are not even going to get an invite. The NCAA or all that NIL $$ could purchase a little insurance for projected draft picks.

It shows how little players now think of the Rose Bowl. It used be an iconic goal to reach. Now, just another bowl game to opt out of.

OMG. I love the Wing-T PSU just ran. I wonder if they ran that during the year?

Utah recruiting classes averaged about #35 in 247 Sports the past four years. Just sayin. I love their style of football.

Agreed, but some of these players are not even going to get an invite. The NCAA or all that NIL $$ could purchase a little insurance for projected draft picks.
Really tough to get paid out on those policies.

Solid article: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...eceive-insurance-payment-myles-jack-wont/amp/

And NIL money isn’t for this. It’s given to people individually. They could purchase the insurance if they wanted. Or they could keep their money, opt out and be millionaires.

Does anybody else look at those aerial shots of the Rose Bowl every year and imagine what it would look like with maroon and gold on the field with a gorgeous MINNESOTA in the end zone, or is it just me?
As someone who attended both Rose Bowls the Gophers played in, I can tell you that it is GORGEOUS, as is the Rose Bowl parade.

I've always liked watching them play
Same here. I've always liked Utah. Hard to believe that Urban Meyer was the one who built them into a major program. They're still good, and he's a disgraced scumbag (that will still get another job at some point.)

I’m watching the Rose Bowl at the Timberwolves game tonight.

Penn State looks good.

Utah playing like their whole starting defensive backfield opted out. Guys running wide open all over.

Really tough to get paid out on those policies.

Solid article: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...eceive-insurance-payment-myles-jack-wont/amp/

And NIL money isn’t for this. It’s given to people individually. They could purchase the insurance if they wanted. Or they could keep their money, opt out and be millionaires.

Generally many companies are more adept at taking the money than disbursing it. If someone is looking at a guaranteed signing bonus of significant $ hard to blame them for sitting out a bowl game. Some people have no safety net in life. Others do.

Top Bottom