2020 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

per Shooter:

By the way, if the Vikings can get a high enough first-round pick for Stefon Diggs, a trade remains a possibility. The Las Vegas Raiders, who have the No. 12 pick, could be a trading partner.

It’s still curious that Vikings owner Zygi Wilf still hasn’t extended general manager Rick Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer, both of whom are in the final year of their contracts. It could be that Wilf, who turns 70 next month and has owned the Vikings for 15 years, is ready to dial back on spending.

Skol Vikes!!

I am not sure you can get a high first rounder for Diggs. I wouldn't give one. Lot's of potential, but injury history and questions about attitude. I'm guessing you could get a high second.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...l-enough-to-warrant-long-extension/568665382/

"
The three big ones:

*Decide if they are going to trade wide receiver Stefon Diggs — a question some of us (me) have been focused on even while the Vikings insist there’s nothing going on.

*Decide the future of Kirk Cousins, given that he has one year left on his contract and an extension could ease their salary cap burden.

*Decide the future of Dalvin Cook, who has one year left on his rookie deal and will be looking for a lucrative extension.

The Diggs question is a fun one, but it’s the most speculative and least urgent. He’s under contract for four seasons, and as long as everyone is happy the Vikings can just keep paying him to produce.

The Cousins question is interesting, but we’re probably overthinking it. Thinking like the Vikings: If the goal is to make the playoffs year after year, giving yourself a chance in the postseason, a Cousins extension makes sense. He’s an above-average player at a position where the Vikings haven’t had above-average stability in a long time.

Cook? It seems obvious on the surface, but it’s more layered than it appears. So let’s spend a little time on it. (Above photo of Cook by the Star Tribune’s Jerry Holt).

As recently as 10 years ago, this would be a slam dunk decision. Running backs were workhorses and the focal points of offenses. Twenty years ago the decision would be even easier. Thirty years ago the Vikings gave up a million pieces to get one (Herschel Walker) that they thought could put them over the top.

These days, though, it’s not so simple. First, the collective bargaining agreement signed in 2011 instituted a rookie wage scale — setting a fixed cost for players in the first four years of their careers based on their draft slots. Cook, a second-round pick in 2017, signed a four-year deal worth $6.26 million total.

Because running backs tend to be more NFL-ready than players at other positions, they tend to offer a lot of value on their initial deals. Then they get A LOT more expensive when they hit free agency.

They also take a lot of hits and are exposed to a sort of physical wear and tear that gives them a shorter peak shelf life than players at other positions. The main takeaway from a Pro Football Reference study of running backs is that “as a group, running backs under 27 tend to improve, and running backs over 27 tend to decline.”

Cook will turn 25 just before the start of next season. Let’s say the Vikings gave him an extension somewhere in the neighborhood of what Ezekiel Elliott got with the Cowboys — adding six years and $90 million to his existing contract. Cook would be 26 when the extension started and 31 in the final year of the deal. Theoretically, at least in terms of the average running back, the Vikings would be paying for 2-3 years of Cook’s peak and 3-4 years of his decline if the contract was played out in full.

No position has been squeezed more by analytics and the current NFL salary structure than running backs. And it doesn’t help Cook’s case when teams like the Steelers and Chargers almost seamlessly move on from standouts Le’Veon Bell and Melvin Gordon with cheaper options in James Conner (in 2018) and Austin Ekeler (in 2019).

"

Well, there's the first move of the offseason.

Vikings cut Xavier Rhodes and Linval Joseph.

Rhodes was cooked. I won't miss watching him get toasted or looking like he just got shot once a game.

Well, there's the first move of the offseason.

Vikings cut Xavier Rhodes and Linval Joseph.

Rhodes was an obvious move. Was Linval rumored to be on the chopping block?

Now they need to resign Trae Waynes. Hopefully the CAP situation works out. He's gotten better and better each year....after the first couple where he kind of looked to be a bust. But he played really well this last season outside of the Chiefs game where Tyreek Hill burned him a couple of times....including one pretty outstanding catch.

I just don't want to see the Vikings use their first round draft pick on another CB. And even though we have greater needs....I'm still holding out hope that the Vikings draft Winfield Jr.

Was Linval rumored to be on the chopping block?
Yes, but not because he was ineffective. He simply made too much money, given his age. He will be a great player for a couple/few more seasons, with another franchise.

Now they need to resign Trae Waynes. Hopefully the CAP situation works out. He's gotten better and better each year....after the first couple where he kind of looked to be a bust. But he played really well this last season outside of the Chiefs game where Tyreek Hill burned him a couple of times....including one pretty outstanding catch.

I just don't want to see the Vikings use their first round draft pick on another CB. And even though we have greater needs....I'm still holding out hope that the Vikings draft Winfield Jr.
I'm hopeful Mike Hughes will pan out, and we also have Holton Hill, who was a surprise spark two seasons ago, before having his off-field issues last season.

Rhodes was an obvious move. Was Linval rumored to be on the chopping block?

Waynes wants to get paid like a #1 CB; not sure that's in the Vikings best interest but who knows. The league is an offense-based league. The Vikings need to shore up the OL and hope that their defense is "good enough" to keep them in games. Even with a few departures, the defense is still better than most teams. If they plug a few holes with lower tier free agents or draft picks for depth, they can focus on filling holes on the OL, or at least one or two spots.

I would imagine that the Cousins extension lowers his cap hit this year and next year, and buys them a little time to figure out longer term plans for the position, past Cousins. Interested to see what the number is but I think many figured this was coming.

I would imagine that the Cousins extension lowers his cap hit this year and next year, and buys them a little time to figure out longer term plans for the position, past Cousins. Interested to see what the number is but I think many figured this was coming.

Lowers the cap hit by 10 million this season

It seems like the Cousins deal gives them cap room and they can still cut him after the season if needed.

Ugg...I don't want to see Cousins for two additional years. I thought the move was good (and necessary) when they made it. I would have liked to see him play out his current deal, and draft a QB either this year or next and roll the dice. The only way Cousins leads the Vikes to a conference championship or super bowl is if they manage to fix the OL, they keep Cook, and they all stay healthy.

And now they went and blew $11MM by franchise tagging Anthony Harris. I like Harris, but with Harrison Smith in the secondary, you can get by with a cheaper/younger alternative back there and spend the money on the OL.

Ugg...I don't want to see Cousins for two additional years. I thought the move was good (and necessary) when they made it. I would have liked to see him play out his current deal, and draft a QB either this year or next and roll the dice. The only way Cousins leads the Vikes to a conference championship or super bowl is if they manage to fix the OL, they keep Cook, and they all stay healthy.

And now they went and blew $11MM by franchise tagging Anthony Harris. I like Harris, but with Harrison Smith in the secondary, you can get by with a cheaper/younger alternative back there and spend the money on the OL.
Trade Smith and Cook for draft picks.

It seems like the Cousins deal gives them cap room and they can still cut him after the season if needed.
I just reread the article. 2021 has $21 guaranteed base salary. 2022 guaranteed against injury only. At $21 base salary, he would be easy trade bait if they wanted to part ways after this season. But they're not going to cut him after 2020 and eat $21MM. So basically, it's one year added to his current deal, and they can cut him after that.

Last edited:

Just reread the article. 2021 has $21 guaranteed base salary. 2022 guaranteed against injury only. At $21 base salary, he would be easy trade bait if they wanted to part ways after this season. But they're not going to cut him after 2020 and eat $21MM. So basically, it's one year added to his current deal, and they can cut him after that.
Ah. Well, I'm still in favor of drafting Jalen Hurts at the 25th pick.

Trade Smith and Cook for draft picks.
If they can get good value, and if that is what they're thinking, I'd be all for it. However, this isn't the NBA. NFL trades aren't overly common, as everybody is up against a hard cap. If it could work, great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ah. Well, I'm still in favor of drafting Jalen Hurts at the 25th pick.
I'm all in on that as well. Draft Hurts in the first, then use your second rounder on the best available guard. But with Cousins for (at least) two more years, and Zim and Spielman seemingly year-to-year, they're not going to use draft capital on a future potential QB. They're going to keep trying to band-aid the roster to "win now", as their jobs probably depend on it.

If they can get good value, and if that is what they're thinking, I'd be all for it. However, this isn't the NBA. NFL trades aren't overly common, as everybody is up against a hard cap. If it could work, great, but I'm not holding my breath.
NFL trades before the draft are very common. I want at least a 2nd rounder for Smith and a 1st or 2nd and 3rd for Cook.

I'm all in on that as well. Draft Hurts in the first, then use your second rounder on the best available guard. But with Cousins for (at least) two more years, and Zim and Spielman seemingly year-to-year, they're not going to use draft capital on a future potential QB. They're going to keep trying to band-aid the roster to "win now", as their jobs probably depend on it.
The 25th pick isn't a huge investment. And if this season goes sideways, putting Hurts in could actually save them if he looks OK.

NFL trades before the draft are very common. I want at least a 2nd rounder for Smith and a 1st or 2nd and 3rd for Cook.
In 2019, I counted 23 trades that involved players that were either traded for other players, or for draft picks in round 1-5 (excluding rounds 6-7, as those are often player dumps to get under the 53-man roster cap) that occurred before the start of the season. There were only 12 trades total that involved a player-for-player swap, or a player for a 1-3 rounder before the season started. So yes, they occur, but I would argue not overly common.

I'm all for trading guys while they still have a decent amount of value to offer another team, but gets them out of our system.

Smith has given use mostly 7.5 solid years. He plays and hits hard, that could start leading him to be more injury prone as he gets older.

Cook is great, but his value is largely that he's still on his rookie contract. It's the position where a high level college guy is most able to step in and do well.

This seems to be a fantastic deal for the Vikes. Diggs was becoming more and more of an issue off the field and we got a lot of picks including a coveted first rounder!

Skol Vikes!!

This seems to be a fantastic deal for the Vikes. Diggs was becoming more and more of an issue off the field and we got a lot of picks including a coveted first rounder!

Skol Vikes!!
Good trade. LT and Jalen Hurts in Round 1. Trade Smith for a 2nd rounder. Use the 2nd rounders on WR/Def.

Good deal! Wasn’t he drafted in the 5th round originally? Are there any QB’s worth packaging a bunch of picks together and moving up for?

Good deal! Wasn’t he drafted in the 5th round originally? Are there any QB’s worth packaging a bunch of picks together and moving up for?
Tua but it would take a massive overpay and if he's not healthy you're screwed for 5 + years. I'd rather roll the dice Hurts at 25.

Top Bottom