2020 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

He plays defense, something no other guard on the roster does. He can let Russell play off the ball, something that the front office/coachers want. His contract is way more valuable than Johnson's. If they want to make a trade this season or next, Rubio is the guy who gets moved. Rubio can be a mentor to Edwards. We get an extra #1 pick.
And....he shot 36% from 3 last season.

The guy that OKC wanted at 17? Apparently it was something they had been working on.

Post-Draft Analysis
The Thunder traded up to No. 17 to select Aleksej Pokusevski here.

Pokusevski being promised and subsequently picked by the Thunder was one of the worst kept secrets in the entire draft process, one that has reportedly been in the works for the better part of the past year. With most of the NBA aware of the Thunder's intentions, Sam Presti was forced to get creative and orchestrate a trade to move into the mid-teens to ensure that they were able to draft him.

Arguably the most unique prospect in the draft as a 7-footer who handles and passes the ball like a guard, Pokusevski is years away from contributing from a physical standpoint, but has the type of perimeter talent and versatility that is very difficult to find, giving him one of the highest upsides of any prospect in the draft. -- Jonathan Givony

Everyone?

As for not wanting to get on the court that reeked of tanking by the Front Office. Apparently it worked. Didn't care for ir myself but the results were what Rosas wanted.
They tanked and moved up in a draft with no definitive #1 pick so you could argue they tanked in the wrong way too. If the front office is going to simply let him sit that’s really poor leadership.

He plays defense, something no other guard on the roster does. He can let Russell play off the ball, something that the front office/coachers want. His contract is way more valuable than Johnson's. If they want to make a trade this season or next, Rubio is the guy who gets moved. Rubio can be a mentor to Edwards. We get an extra #1 pick.
I thought culver and okogio were basically defender first guards / wings cause they can’t score.

The guy that OKC wanted at 17? Apparently it was something they had been working on.

Post-Draft Analysis
The Thunder traded up to No. 17 to select Aleksej Pokusevski here.

Pokusevski being promised and subsequently picked by the Thunder was one of the worst kept secrets in the entire draft process, one that has reportedly been in the works for the better part of the past year. With most of the NBA aware of the Thunder's intentions, Sam Presti was forced to get creative and orchestrate a trade to move into the mid-teens to ensure that they were able to draft him.

Arguably the most unique prospect in the draft as a 7-footer who handles and passes the ball like a guard, Pokusevski is years away from contributing from a physical standpoint, but has the type of perimeter talent and versatility that is very difficult to find, giving him one of the highest upsides of any prospect in the draft. -- Jonathan Givony

ESPN Draftnicks were making it sound like they might be swamping him to OKC for picks who has a ton of them over the next couple of years.

Paul Reed might fall in our laps.
I thought culver and okogio were basically defender first guards / wings cause they can’t score.
Okogie is gonna play both forward spots. Culver didn't play defense last season...or offense. He might have to be a backup at SF. I hope we can trade him at some point.

Someone not expected to be at 25 will be there. I wouldn't draft another PG with Rubio and a cheap McLaughlin still around to resign. They need some PF's.

Am I missing something? Was the Rubio trade confirmed? Can't find anything about it. But I am fully on board. We are one of the worst teams in the league defensively. Rubio will immediately help there. Plus....as an assist first....score second player.....I think he'll fit well with Russell in the backcourt.

But yes....assuming that we traded the Serbian guy for a couple of picks in the 20s....some front court players that I'd like to see. $hit. There goes Nnaji. lol. Oturu is still there. I don't know much about the other power forwards there. Nnaji is the only one that I've payed attention to.

Paul Reed might fall in our laps.

Okogie is gonna play both forward spots. Culver didn't play defense last season...or offense. He might have to be a backup at SF. I hope we can trade him at some point.
They needed Tyler hero last year and instead took a guy that can’t shoot a 3 in a league dominated by guys shooting 3’s. It’s the same thing this year drafting a guy that didn’t shoot the 3 well in college so why would that improve in the nba. For their sake in hope the coaches can help Edwards, but that has yet to be shown as non of the the players. they have drafted have improved

They needed Tyler hero last year and instead took a guy that can’t shoot a 3 in a league dominated by guys shooting 3’s. It’s the same thing this year drafting a guy that didn’t shoot the 3 well in college so why would that improve in the nba. For their sake in hope the coaches can help Edwards, but that has yet to be shown as non of the the players. they have drafted have improved
I wanted Herro. Just such a bad draft last year by the Wolves.

I'm worried about Edwards but am ok with the pick. Wanted a trade first but oh well.

Am I missing something? Was the Rubio trade confirmed? Can't find anything about it. But I am fully on board. We are one of the worst teams in the league defensively. Rubio will immediately help there. Plus....as an assist first....score second player.....I think he'll fit well with Russell in the backcourt.

But yes....assuming that we traded the Serbian guy for a couple of picks in the 20s....some front court players that I'd like to see. $hit. There goes Nnaji. lol. Oturu is still there. I don't know much about the other power forwards there. Nnaji is the only one that I've payed attention to.

Yep. It's been confirmed by ESPN and the Athletic.

Ugh. Trading 25 and 33 for Bolmaro. Don't get that.

Never heard of him so can't say either way. They just interviews him from Barcelona. Kinda interesting huh?

Here's what ESPN said:

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
-
Good size at 6-foot-7 for someone who can play point guard.
- Creative ball handler who plays at different speeds and shows excellent passing ability off a live dribble. Manipulates defenses with pace, skill and feel. Uses floaters and touch shots to finish creatively around the basket.
- Plays with energy defensively. Attentive and aware both on and off the ball. Quick feet sliding and containing in small spaces. Gets into passing lanes.

Improvement areas
-
Lacks a degree of strength and explosiveness athletically. Can't always beat better defenders from a standstill. Has struggled to put the ball in the basket at times against higher-level competition.
- Career 30% 3-point shooter on more than 300 attempts and a 68% free throw shooter. Just how good of a shooter can he become? Low, clunky release limits him at times against better defenders.
- Hasn't been seen nearly as much as other international players in this draft. Played only 388 minutes this season, rotating between Barcelona's first and second teams.

Projected role: Big two-way playmaker

I wanted Herro. Just such a bad draft last year by the Wolves.

I'm worried about Edwards but am ok with the pick. Wanted a trade first but oh well.
I don’t like edwards attitude but he should fit right in with the timberpups.

I assume trading for a guy that won’t be on the roster for a couple of years so they are saving cap money. But that’s just a guess.
Most likely but they could have had him at 25 I bet. No way Thibs would be cool with a guy not coming over right away.

We are getting Bey or Reed at 28. Do not screw this up...

I think this is a fair assessment on Rubio.

Edwards is worse than Wiggins. He will be a bust and does not help this team whatsoever.

So, just read that the 25 and 33 trade for 23 was about stashing and the mid-level. According to what I read, by getting rid of the 33rd pick, they can use all of the mid-level for a Free Agent. Maybe that is where the new starting PWF comes from.

Let me get this straight. The Wolves are a lousy three-point shooting team in a league dominated by three-point shooting.

To alleviate the problem, we trade for a guy who cannot shoot, and we drafted 3 players who cannot shoot. Brilliant!

Can we hire Ogee to lay bricks for us? I'd rather pay him and his construction crew than watch Rubio, Edwards, Culver, Okogie, and Bolmaro lay them.

I was mad that they traded #33 in order to move up two spots for some stash guy. Now I'm even more upset because we drafted Oturu with it....but will be sending him off to the Knicks.

😡

Bad news for Klay Thompson and the Warriors. From ESPN:

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported on Wednesday that Thompson injured his lower right leg and is expected to undergo testing in the next few days to determine the severity of the injury.

I will give credit to the Warriors front office for not panicking during the draft when the Thompson news broke. It would have been easy to try to move back in the draft and target a shooting guard, but they selected who they believed was the best prospect available. Wiseman certainly fills a need at the center position and the Warriors will now turn their attention to improvements via their $17.2 million trade exception. With a Nov. 23 expiration date on that exception, Golden State is on the clock to help find bench help or a possible replacement for Thompson.

a3

I am not sure what to think about any of this. Maybe Built Badger can fill in the blanks. (not kidding)

I am happy to see R Rubio back because he does move the ball. Culver has been weak as an NBA player, and cost T Tech the NCCA Championship game and was a waste of pick so far (harsh comment, we will see),. The OSU kid still has it, I like him, he defends and goes hard to the basket.

I like big 2/ small 3s that can defend a 1,2,3, an even 4, so this is a good pick if he can shoot. Big Guards are ideal if they can shoot it, and go hard to floor (problem with Culver).

I like Rubio returning.

Top Bottom