2020 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Williams to the Bulls. If the chalk picks continue Toppin will to Cleveland.

He didn't!

Isaac Okoro from Auburn did.

He's dynamic! He's explosive! Look at these dunk highlights!

😴

I have a bad feeling that we just made the worst first overall pick since Anthony Bennett in 2013.

lol.....just took a 6'3" shooting guard that shot under 30% from three in his only year at Georgia. First overall.
He will be a lot better than Anthony Bennett. My fear is he becomes a JR Rider (not the crazy part).

Onyeka Okongwu from USC goes to Atlanta. That's a guy I liked.

So did Atlanta I guess.

Wolves just tweeted about Edwards being a Wolf. I don't see them trading him now.

Rumor: James Johnson and the #17 for Kelly Oubre. Just read it from some "insider" so maybe...

Jon Krawczynski
@JonKrawczynski
The Timberwolves are in talks to trade the 17th pick to OKC for Ricky Rubio and picks 25 and 28, sources tell
@TheAthleticMIN

Boy I hope I'm wrong. A volume scorer that only shot 40% overall and 29% from 3. 1 to 1 assist to TO ratio. Woof. At least he hit 77% of his free throws.

Boy I hope I'm wrong. A volume scorer that only shot 40% overall and 29% from 3. 1 to 1 assist to TO ratio. Woof. At least he hit 77% of his free throws.
Anthony Wiggins...I read that, so I can't claim I came up with it.

I trust that Wolves coaches, you know, watched film of him. Talked to him. Probably even had him come in for a workout.

I think he's going to score a ton of points for us. Excited they made this pick!

Yeah, this would be very surprising. Though have heard that Karl-Anthony is a fan. That said a BIG surprise.

The Timberwolves are in talks with Oklahoma City to bring Ricky Rubio back to where it all began.

The talks center around the 17th overall pick going to Oklahoma City in return for Rubio and pick Nos. 25 and 28, sources tell The Athletic. There could be other moving parts included in the deal, but it will give coach Ryan Saunders another ballhandler to pair with D’Angelo Russell in the backcourt..

As soon as Rubio was traded to the Thunder, the Timberwolves set their sights on bringing the popular Spaniard back, sources said. The Wolves were interested in signing Rubio when he was a free agent last summer, but Rubio signed a three-year deal with Phoenix instead.

Rubio and Saunders are incredibly close, having bonded when both lost parents to cancer within a year of each other. Rubio also played with Karl-Anthony Towns in Towns’ first two seasons in the league, so there is a familiarity there...

I'm choosing to believe the narrative that that's because he had to carry the team and at Georgia his shot selection was for shit. I guess he was a better shooter in HS, for whatever that's worth. I'm a hopeless optimist, character flaw.

I trust that Wolves coaches, you know, watched film of him. Talked to him. Probably even had him come in for a workout.

I think he's going to score a ton of points for us. Excited they made this pick!
I don't think there's a fear he's not going to score points. There's a lot more to playing the dribble ball than putting it in the bucket.

I couldn't stand Ricky until his last year here. Then....I kind of liked him. Then.....he left and I missed him.

Haliburton is sliding, would be interesting to see the T Wolves move up for him.

I'm choosing to believe the narrative that that's because he had to carry the team and at Georgia his shot selection was for shit. I guess he was a better shooter in HS, for whatever that's worth. I'm a hopeless optimist, character flaw.

I posted this earlier....but Crean, along with Edwards, brought in a second five star guy and three four stars.....just coming into this last year. I find it hard to believe that narrative that he had to carry the team. They've had success with bringing in talent. But another reason why I am worried about him is because.....he "carried" the Bulldogs to a 16-16 (5-12 in the SEC) record. Big red flag.

Do you dislike him and the pick so intently that you're hoping he fails? Not that the Wolves keep losing, but that Edwards is a bust. Serious questions.

Absolutely not. I don't pull for players to fail (unless they are Badgers) if they are on teams that I'm a fan of. Just think there is a decent bust potential here....which sucks for a number one pick.

I really don't know a TON about Edwards. But as I said....a SG that hit below 30% from three is concerning. And athletic ability only gets you so far. I don't like taking a guy number one overall because he has a highlight reel full of dunks. That's not enough when you step up a level to the pros. But we'll see. I can't wait to see him suit up....and I hope I'm wrong. Only have to wait a little over a month to see him in action.

Whatever the wolves do it’s the wrong thing...everyone said to make Thibs the manager coach they did and it was a disaster. Everyone wanted Butler, they got him and another disaster. Until KAT wants to be a leader and work this team is going no where. I find it amazing that KAT never missed a game when Thibs was here and he would play the entire game basically. Now with best friend Ryan in charge he’s no where to be found and is not a leader of the team.

Confirmed: Rubio, #25, #28 for #17 and Johnson (I assume this part).

I would like this. With #25, #28, and #33....you can grab a few guys and hope one hits.

Would love to see Oturu with one of those. Precious Achiuwa won't be there by #25....but another MN kid....Zeke Nnaji would likely be around. He looked pretty damn good in his one year at Arizona. And then.....as a guy who could come in day one and be a solid role player immediately.....I wouldn't mind the Wolves bringing in Cassius Winston.

Whatever the wolves do it’s the wrong thing...everyone said to make Thibs the manager coach they did and it was a disaster. Everyone wanted Butler, they got him and another disaster. Until KAT wants to be a leader and work this team is going no where. I find it amazing that KAT never missed a game when Thibs was here and he would play the entire game basically. Now with best friend Ryan in charge he’s no where to be found and is not a leader of the team.

Everyone?

As for not wanting to get on the court that reeked of tanking by the Front Office. Apparently it worked. Didn't care for ir myself but the results were what Rosas wanted.

I would like this. With #25, #28, and #33....you can grab a few guys and hope one hits.

Would love to see Oturu with one of those. Precious Achiuwa won't be there by #25....but another MN kid....Zeke Nnaji would likely be around. He looked pretty damn good in his one year at Arizona. And then.....as a guy who could come in day one and be a solid role player immediately.....I wouldn't mind the Wolves bringing in Cassius Winston.
Someone not expected to be at 25 will be there. I wouldn't draft another PG with Rubio and a cheap McLaughlin still around to resign. They need some PF's.

will be interesting to see what we get from OKC (guessing) for the Greek toothpick

They're rebooting completely so they can let him sit in the EU for a couple of years and beef up like Dirk when Dallas drafted him.

I like trading part of it more than the atual picks

Absolutely not. I don't pull for players to fail (unless they are Badgers) if they are on teams that I'm a fan of. Just think there is a decent bust potential here....which sucks for a number one pick.

I really don't know a TON about Edwards. But as I said....a SG that hit below 30% from three is concerning. And athletic ability only gets you so far. I don't like taking a guy number one overall because he has a highlight reel full of dunks. That's not enough when you step up a level to the pros. But we'll see. I can't wait to see him suit up....and I hope I'm wrong. Only have to wait a little over a month to see him in action.

That's the thing about the first three picks. They all have defined weaknesses. Pretty easy to make the case for any of them to be a bust. Wiseman had IMHO and that of others, had the least amount of downside, but also had a much lower ceiling. Ball? There have been pages written about has potential boom or bust future.

Edwards? That 3% was damn low but he shot 50% from 2 so he can score. He can get to the hoop which hasn't been something Wolves guards have been known for. Now with Rubio coming back and Russell wanting to handle the ball maybe it will be easier for Edwards to adapt to the NBA game.

Truly, who the hell knows? Just don't think that any declaration of "he'll be awful" or "he'll be great" will work. It's too damn soon to tell.

Last edited:

Top Bottom