2020 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Well, the Wolves season kind of officially ended, so on to what will be a VERY long offseason.

Howl Wolves!!

per Sid:

• The Timberwolves, Cavaliers and Warriors will all have a 14% chance of landing the No. 1 draft pick in the 2020 draft. The Cavs drafted Andrew Wiggins No. 1 overall in 2014 and then traded him to the Wolves, who traded him to the Warriors this season.

Howl Wolves!!

ESPN: Sources: NBA teams left out of Orlando mulling ways to keep players active amid hiatus

Fearful of significant setbacks in the development of young players over months of inactivity, several teams left out of this season's regular-season resumption in Orlando, Florida, have proposed ideas for regional mini summer leagues, training camps and organized team activities, sources told ESPN.

As the rest of the NBA prepares to restart the 2019-20 season with training camps, regular-season games and playoffs beginning in July, teams left out of the 22-team format and facing a possible nine-month hiatus between games are seeking unprecedented offseason access to players, sources said.

Most of the eight teams whose seasons have ended -- including Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota and New York -- are pushing to engage in joint practices as ramp-ups for regional summer leagues in August, sources said. For example, the Pistons and Cavaliers have discussed the possibility of joint practices as a prelude to a mini-pod of games, sources said.

Among the front-office ideas presented to the NBA, sources said:
  • A combination of voluntary and mandatory workouts for two weeks in July.
  • Regional minicamps in August that include joint practices for a period of days and approximately three televised games.
  • Organized team activities (OTAs) for mid-September.
  • Teams want an opportunity for training camps to start seven to 10 days earlier for the 2020-21 season for those teams left out of Orlando.

Howl Wolves!!

End of Timberwolves’ season brings more uncertainty

Still, there are some questions, and possible lasting effects, that stem from Thursday’s announcement.

RFA DECISIONS
Since the team acquired Malik Beasley and Juancho Hernangomez from Denver in a trade in the days leading up to the February deadline, Rosas has said he sees both as long-term pieces of the Timberwolves’ puzzle.

Beasley and Hernangomez are restricted free-agents this summer, meaning they can test the market and sign an offer sheet with any team, but Minnesota ultimately has final say on whether it wants to match any offer to keep either player in Minneapolis.

What exactly those markets are for Beasley and Hernangomez remain to be seen. Beasley emerged as a fan favorite in short order here in Minnesota, as his scoring ability, leadership and work ethic immediately shined. Finally given more of a starring role with significant playing time for the first time in his pro career, Beasley responded.

But he did so for 14 games. Was that enough for another team to step up this offseason and pay Beasley as if he’s a top-3 scoring option? If someone does, did Minnesota see enough to determine it’s worth it to match such an offer?

DRAFT IMPLICATIONS
Thursday’s best piece of news for the Timberwolves came in the form of NBA lottery procedures. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported the NBA Draft Lottery will be held Aug. 25, with the draft on Oct. 15.

Teams that do not qualify for the 16-team postseason will be included in the lottery, with a team’s number of balls determined by teams’ records when the league stopped March 11.

Which means Minnesota (19-45), with the NBA’s third-worst record, will be tied with Cleveland and Golden State for the best chance to get the No. 1 pick (14 percent) and the best odds to land a top-4 pick (52.1 percent).

The Wolves also are guaranteed the third pick of the second round — 33rd overall. Early second-round picks often are highly-coveted by teams across the league.

It is Minnesota’s second first-round pick this year that is now in question. The Wolves have Brooklyn’s pick, but that’s lottery protected, so Minnesota only gets it if the Nets make the playoffs. Currently, Minnesota would get the pick, which would be No. 16 overall. But should Brooklyn lose its playoff spot to Washington in Orlando, that pick would defer to 2021.

Howl Wolves!!

STrib: Next up for Timberwolves: The NBA draft (in October)

The NBA took its most significant step yet toward resuming its season Thursday, as the its board of governors approved a plan for the league to return to play with 22 teams participating in eight regular-season games followed by the playoffs at a bubble site in Orlando, the league announced Thursday.

The plan is still pending approval Friday from the NBA Players’ Association, but a source said that approval is expected and means the Timberwolves 2019-20 season is over.

The Wolves had a 19-45 record when the league postponed its season March 11 after Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for coronavirus. That would leave them out of the 22-team return-to-play scenario that includes 13 Western Conference teams and nine Eastern.

“While we are disappointed for our team and our fans that our season is coming to an end, we understand and accept the league’s plan to move forward with 22 teams,” Timberwolves President Gersson Rosas said in a statement.

“It is important that we be a good teammate not only to the NBA, but to the other 29 teams to support the efforts to complete this season and prepare for next season in a healthy and safe manner.

“Our offseason program will be intensive and thorough to make sure our players continue their development and are prepared for the start of the 2020-21 season. ... We will also use this offseason to work tirelessly to help our community heal, to influence change and to promote thoughtful actions in response to recent events.”

Howl Wolves!!

There will be no games, but a very busy summer ahead for the Timberwolves

Where they finished the year: 19-45, 14th in the Western Conference.

What this means to the franchise: Wait ’til next year, as usual. The Wolves made major moves at the trade deadline in an effort to expedite the turnaround that Rosas envisioned when he took over as president. But the sample size was too small to make any grand proclamations one way or the other. The stoppage means they won’t get the extra practices and games that would have aided the evaluation process and allowed them to hit the ground running when training camp for the 2020-21 season rolls around.

They will enter next season with expectations of being in the mix for the playoffs. Towns and Russell will be watched closely for their ability to lead and play on both ends of the court. Fans weary of one rebuild after another will be looking for tangible signs of progress.

Players hurt by the end of the season: Beasley is easily at the top of this list. After turning down a three-year, $30 million extension before the season, Beasley was out of the regular rotation for the Denver Nuggets. The trade to the Timberwolves put him in a starter’s role for the first time in his career, and he flourished. He averaged 20.7 points, 5.1 rebounds and shot 42.6 percent from 3-point range in 14 games and was positioning himself to be a coveted restricted free agent on the market.

Life is difficult for RFAs, but there was no disputing that Beasley was on his way to proving that he could be a starting-caliber scorer in this league. Now his immediate future is much murkier. The Wolves will want to retain him, but his ability to get other teams involved in a bidding war when the salary cap could be taking a hit from all of the lost revenue will be a challenge.

Jake Layman also took a little hit. He missed three months with torn ligaments in his foot, and had just returned for nine games when the season was shuttered. Layman had been playing very well before the injury, and the chance for him to get some of his rhythm back before going into the summer was missed. He will recover fine, but it was unfortunate timing for him.

Players helped by the end of the season: Karl-Anthony Towns. He was out with a wrist injury when the season was suspended, and there was some hope that a delay would help him heal enough to get back on the court with his new teammates. In the interim, he lost his mother, Jackie, to COVID-19 and has been mourning with his family since she died in April. It remains unclear how healthy his wrist is, but it feels like the Timberwolves being eliminated could come as a relief for Towns. This will give him more time to work through the mourning process and have his wrist heal up before getting back on the court in a competitive environment.

It feels like Jarrett Culver could benefit from the end as well. He had a rocky rookie season, but it was long enough for him to come to a full understanding of what he needs to work on to become an impact player in the league. No one denies Culver’s work ethic, and he was showing signs of better play and stronger field goal shooting before the games stopped. But now he doesn’t have to be in the middle of a grueling season, when the games keep coming and there is little time for intensive skill work. Most are expecting Culver to make a big jump going into his second season after being to able to put in work in the lab to improve his game.

And really, as stated above, the entire team might need to take a breath after the harrowing last week in Minneapolis. Towns and Okogie showed up to make a statement demanding justice for Floyd’s death and many players’ heads are spinning while watching things unfold.

What remains to be seen is whether the Wolves will get some sort of training camp approved even though they are not going to Orlando. Getting back on the court in a practice-type scenario and enjoying some fellowship could be beneficial as they try to get their bearings back and grapple with so much trauma. If they don’t, and the start of next season is pushed back to December, it could be nine months between games for these players. That is an eternity.

Getting some type of summer camp wouldn’t solve all of those problems. But it would give them at least a chance to get together again.

First order of business in the offseason: Get ready for the draft. The Wolves have already been doing extensive work on this year’s class. It may not be as strong as some, but they are expected to have three of the top 33 picks. That will give them ammunition to move around, inquire on veterans and add cheap young talent to a roster that will always be stretched thin by the max deals for Towns and Russell.

Culver showed glimmers, but not enough as a rookie. Naz Reid appears to be a nice find in undrafted free agency and the jury is out on Jaylen Nowell. Making good use of this draft is going to be critical for the Wolves to keep moving forward.

Other offseason priorities: Re-sign Beasley and add a defensive-minded power forward that can help Towns in the frontcourt. Juancho Hernangomez and James Johnson both played well at the 4 after coming over in trades, but neither is a prototypical starting 4. If the Wolves are going to stay fairly small, they need a rugged dude with good instincts and a nose for the ball off the glass. Maybe that is available in the draft, but the better bet is they go out and trade for a player who fits that description or try to sign one in free agency. If the salary cap shrinks significantly, that would hinder a team that has rarely had much luck attracting free agents, but that won’t stop Rosas from going after them.

Howl Wolves!!

per Shooter:

Owner Glen Taylor told the Pioneer Press that Ryan Saunders will be back to coach the Timberwolves for the 2020-21 season.

Howl Wolves!!

Wolves and Lynx announce layoffs for 18 employees, pay cuts for others

The Timberwolves and Lynx have laid off 18 employees and have instituted temporary pay cuts for others, it was announced Thursday.

The changes come to the business side of the operations for the Wolves, Lynx, Iowa Wolves and T-Wolves Gaming, a spokesperson said. The pay cuts will be for employees making over $70,000 per year.

The cuts across those organizations come after the Wild announced furloughs and reduced hours for an undisclosed number of employees on Tuesday.

“The Timberwolves and Lynx have experienced a significant financial impact due to the global pandemic,” the Timberwolves said in a statement. “As a result of these unforeseen circumstances, the organization has made staffing changes that include a temporary tiered pay reduction plan for employees earning $70,000 or more as well as a reduction in our full-time workforce.”

The NBA postponed its season March 11, becoming the first sports league to do so. Even though the league is planning to resume its season with 22 teams late July in Orlando, there is expected to be a decline in revenue since there is a reduction in games and teams can’t collect ticket revenue for home games. The Wolves are one of eight teams whose season is over and will not be resuming play in Orlando.

The revenue decline will affect the amount of money distributed to teams and likely reduce the salary cap for next season. Players have already accepted a 25% temporary pay cut and the league instituted a 20% temporary pay cut for its top executives.

The Twins announced last month all full-time employees would be paid through at least June 30. United players are taking a 5% salary reduction as part of the MLS’ agreement to restart. The Vikings have not furloughed employees, according to the team.

Howl Wolves!!

per Sid:

• The latest NBAdraft.net mock draft has the Wolves taking point guard LaMelo Ball of the Australia-based Illawara Hawks at No. 3, Gophers forward Daniel Oturu going No. 14 to Portland, Lakeville North grad and Arizona forward Zeke Nnaji going No. 33 to the Wolves and Apple Valley and Duke product Tre Jones going No. 41 to San Antonio.

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• The latest NBAdraft.net mock draft has the Wolves taking point guard LaMelo Ball of the Australia-based Illawara Hawks at No. 3, Gophers forward Daniel Oturu going No. 14 to Portland, Lakeville North grad and Arizona forward Zeke Nnaji going No. 33 to the Wolves and Apple Valley and Duke product Tre Jones going No. 41 to San Antonio.

Go Gophers!!
Draft Ball and trade him. I want nothing to do with him on the Wolves.

That mock draft continues to be one of the worst I've looked at. Some good players completely getting no love and they have the Wolves drafting two pg's (maybe they think we trade Ball as well). I hope they are correct on Oturu, but he isn't even going in the first round with many of the mock drafts I've seen.

News breaking today (Tuesday) that T-Wolves owner Glen Taylor is seriously considering offers to sell the team - with the caveat that he will only sell to an owner or group of owners who will agree to keep the team in MN.

And - on top of that, numerous reports claim that Kevin Garnett is trying to put together a group of investors to purchase the team - with Garnett presumably taking a lead role in running the franchise.

is there something to this?

We shall see.

News breaking today (Tuesday) that T-Wolves owner Glen Taylor is seriously considering offers to sell the team - with the caveat that he will only sell to an owner or group of owners who will agree to keep the team in MN.

And - on top of that, numerous reports claim that Kevin Garnett is trying to put together a group of investors to purchase the team - with Garnett presumably taking a lead role in running the franchise.

is there something to this?

We shall see.
Very interesting. KG scares me though. He had some horrible player opinions while in MN. Hopefully he has learned.

Update - Star Tribune has a story about the potential sale of the T-Wolves.

Story noted that the Strib reached out to Glen Taylor for a comment and he has not responded.

in case you don't know, Glen Taylor OWNS the Star-Tribune. He won't talk to his own paper!

You can't make this stuff up.

Very interesting. KG scares me though. He had some horrible player opinions while in MN. Hopefully he has learned.
I wonder what level of input he envisions. He was very vocal in trying to get his buddies here while he was playing, whether they fit or not.

I have a hard time believing there can be an owner worse than Taylor, so it's worth a shot!

That mock draft continues to be one of the worst I've looked at. Some good players completely getting no love and they have the Wolves drafting two pg's (maybe they think we trade Ball as well). I hope they are correct on Oturu, but he isn't even going in the first round with many of the mock drafts I've seen.

I think Oturu goes late teens

I wonder what level of input he envisions. He was very vocal in trying to get his buddies here while he was playing, whether they fit or not.

I have a hard time believing there can be an owner worse than Taylor, so it's worth a shot!

I hope he gets rid of Rosas, but isnt the GM himself, but gets one that believes in what KG does, the importance of both hard defense and good offense.

I shouldnt write off Rosas yet. But I hated the Wigs trade. Getting rid of Wigs was supposed to be because his contract was so bad, but you traded for a player that doesnt play D, has the same exact contract as Wigs, and you had to give up a lottery pick for him. WTF.

This team currently constructed is going to be awful at D. His draft choices better focus on good defensive players. You need a good D big to go next to Towns, and you need a player that can guard PG's, since Russell can not.

In summary, I still hate the Russell trade. Loved getting Beasley. I would like to have Wigs and Beasley play together, and get a PG in this draft. But whatever, time will tell

I hope he gets rid of Rosas, but isnt the GM himself, but gets one that believes in what KG does, the importance of both hard defense and good offense.

I shouldnt write off Rosas yet. But I hated the Wigs trade. Getting rid of Wigs was supposed to be because his contract was so bad, but you traded for a player that doesnt play D, has the same exact contract as Wigs, and you had to give up a lottery pick for him. WTF.

This team currently constructed is going to be awful at D. His draft choices better focus on good defensive players. You need a good D big to go next to Towns, and you need a player that can guard PG's, since Russell can not.

In summary, I still hate the Russell trade. Loved getting Beasley. I would like to have Wigs and Beasley play together, and get a PG in this draft. But whatever, time will tell
I am on the opposite side of the Wiggins trade. I still don't know how he did it. Probably more on the Warriors being crazy to take him. I like the fit with Russell. Can't play defense but is a really good fit with Kat on Offense and they are friends. Gotta keep Kat happy. Wiggins is still one of the worst players in the league and has that contract. Russell is a borderline all-star caliber player.

I'm all on board with Vassell, Okongwu, Okoro, Bey...just to name a few players who play D.

I am on the opposite side of the Wiggins trade. I still don't know how he did it. Probably more on the Warriors being crazy to take him. I like the fit with Russell. Can't play defense but is a really good fit with Kat on Offense and they are friends. Gotta keep Kat happy. Wiggins is still one of the worst players in the league and has that contract. Russell is a borderline all-star caliber player.

I'm all on board with Vassell, Okongwu, Okoro, Bey...just to name a few players who play D.

We can agree to disagree. I think Wiggins is going to take off in GSW, but i get where youre coming from.

Glad youre on board with getting more D players to balance the team. If Rosas doesnt get that, that will make me done with him. Good O teams work in the regular season, not post season.

Towns could be a lot better on defense, but i dont think he cares without KG keeping him accountable.

For this team to be good, they need a defensive player that can guard the primary ball handler. Hopefully Okogie and/or Culver can do that. So Russell can play PG on offense, but not on defense.

Then they just need to get that springy "4" that compliments Towns with good defense.

We can agree to disagree. I think Wiggins is going to take off in GSW, but i get where youre coming from.

Glad youre on board with getting more D players to balance the team. If Rosas doesnt get that, that will make me done with him. Good O teams work in the regular season, not post season.

Towns could be a lot better on defense, but i dont think he cares without KG keeping him accountable.

For this team to be good, they need a defensive player that can guard the primary ball handler. Hopefully Okogie and/or Culver can do that. So Russell can play PG on offense, but not on defense.

Then they just need to get that springy "4" that compliments Towns with good defense.
I know they are interested in bringing in another ball handler to play with Russell (when Beasley sits). That might mean Haliburton (sp?) out of Iowa State. I am for that, but that would mean no Vassell (my number one want).

Golden State is already looking for way's to get rid of Wiggins. Just what I have read this summer. No ideas if true or not.

One thing I am pretty sure of: Rosas will not draft a big to fit next to Towns. He is all about small ball. Hopefully he changes his tune as I just don't see that working with what this draft is offering. Plus, any trade rumors all involve bigs... I think he is smart enough to not try fitting a square in the round hole.

I think Oturu goes late teens
1595607703753.png

Despite having averaged 20.1 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks as a sophomore at Minnesota, Oturu hasn't received much draft attention from national media members. However, he's gotten more love within NBA circles.

"From talking with guys around the league, I think Oturu is gonna go higher than people think. Maybe top 20-25," a scout told Bleacher Report.

While I've questioned his stiff movement, shooting, shot-blocking legitimacy and decision-making, scouts are buying his physicality, post game, mid-range touch, improved range and potential in rim protection.

Oturu would have benefited from the opportunity to work out and validate the 19 threes he hit this season and 45.5 percent he shot on medium-range jumpers. But it's sounding possible that he might generate enough first-round interest regardless.

View attachment 8880

Despite having averaged 20.1 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks as a sophomore at Minnesota, Oturu hasn't received much draft attention from national media members. However, he's gotten more love within NBA circles.

"From talking with guys around the league, I think Oturu is gonna go higher than people think. Maybe top 20-25," a scout told Bleacher Report.

While I've questioned his stiff movement, shooting, shot-blocking legitimacy and decision-making, scouts are buying his physicality, post game, mid-range touch, improved range and potential in rim protection.

Oturu would have benefited from the opportunity to work out and validate the 19 threes he hit this season and 45.5 percent he shot on medium-range jumpers. But it's sounding possible that he might generate enough first-round interest regardless.

I hope he does get in the first round. Most mock drafts have him going after the kids form Maryland and Michigan State, which would be a crime imo.

I didn't want Russell at all. You can find guys like him in the NBA all day long (all offense, no D). However, I was fine with the trade. Wiggins was an absolute albatross. On a personal level, it just irks me to see people that just don't care or try. I couldn't stand watching him play, because you know he was super talented and could be as good as he wants to be. I can't say I blame him- if you can make hundreds of millions of dollars without putting in a ton of effort, would you? Other than personal motivation and pride, what other reasons are there? His athleticism will allow him to get another (smaller) contract after his max deal expires anyway, so that's not motivation either.

The good part about Russell is even with his contract, he at least is easier to trade than Wiggins. So if he doesn't work out here, you can move him. One of the reasons I dislike the NBA is that it's almost entirely predicated on how few "bad" contracts you have. Wiggins was a "bad" contract. When they traded him, they got rid of one of those "bad" contracts, so it's a win in my book.

STrib: Glen Taylor won't consider just anybody as a Timberwolves suitor

After word leaked Tuesday from the sports business website Sportico that Glen Taylor was working with investment bank Raine Group in courting offers for the Timberwolves, Taylor quickly made it known to the Star Tribune and other local media outlets that it was his intent to make sure the team remains in Minnesota.

Anybody interested in moving the franchise was not a prospective buyer.

Two high-profile names with local ties quickly emerged as potential buyers: Former Wolves star Kevin Garnett said he was working with a group to buy the team, while the Wilf family, who owns the Vikings, had some dialogue with Taylor — though sources said last week those talks aren’t active. On Friday, a group led by former NBA player Arron Afflalo, which would keep the team in Minnesota, also reportedly emerged.

But if there’s another potential buyer — Taylor indicated a family from out of state is further along in the process than others — can provisions be put in writing that would marry the new owners to Minneapolis? Would the NBA approve those provisions? Would they hold up in court?

The Star Tribune spoke to a number of lawyers and the consensus was that doing so doesn’t seem as simple as baking it into a contract and tying the new owners to Minneapolis permanently. A deal likely would have to have parameters about how long such an agreement, or covenant, would last, and any financial penalty for breaking that covenant couldn’t be overly severe.

The league has not responded to Star Tribune requests for comment regarding the sale of the Wolves.

“You could have some contingencies … and I’m sure there could be a provision that relates to keeping the team in place,” said Eldon Ham, an author and professor of sports law at Chicago-Kent College of Law. “But I don’t think it would be able to extend forever.”

Howl Wolves!!

per Sid:

Not for lack of trying

And while the Wolves haven’t found the success on the court that Taylor has always wanted, it hasn’t been for a lack of resources or trying.

Taylor gave out historically large contracts and hired some top talents in coaching — Rick Adelman, Tom Thibodeau and of course Flip Saunders, twice.

For whatever reason, it has never worked exactly right for the club.

But there’s reason for optimism with the current Wolves, with coach Ryan Saunders, Gersson Rosas leading the front office and Karl-Anthony Towns and D’Angelo Russell teaming up on the court next season.

Howl Wolves!!

If the Wolves end up in a position to draft Ball, how loud do you think big daddy LaVar is going to get campaigning for his kid to NOT go to the Wolves? Talk about a shit show. The last place LaVar wants his kid playing is MSP and I'm sure he's not hiding that fact already. It's about the "brand" and Ball playing in Target Center doesn't do much for the BBB

If the Wolves end up in a position to draft Ball, how loud do you think big daddy LaVar is going to get campaigning for his kid to NOT go to the Wolves? Talk about a shit show. The last place LaVar wants his kid playing is MSP and I'm sure he's not hiding that fact already. It's about the "brand" and Ball playing in Target Center doesn't do much for the BBB
Possibly. Haven't heard from dad in a long time. Maybe he's figured out that he isn't helping.

Top Bottom