2020 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Are there still rumblings of Harden to the Nets? I agree, these Nets seem to be shaping up as a new Clippers/old Clippers situation which occurred this year and Irving is about as mercurial as they come it seems, while Durant’s not far behind. I hope Harden joins them, it’ll be a wild sh*tshow to enjoy from afar.
I just feel bad for Steve Nash. I hope the organization tanks though cause of their treatment of Atkinson

I doubt it would have mattered...but that injury to Butler was bad in a number of ways. Lost home court advantage, had to play the Rockets, gave Jimmy time to see how weak Wiggins was and how much of a whiner Kat was, etc.. Maybe if they kept going as the 3rd seed team, Jimmy might have felt differently?

Agree about how all those things changed because of the injury. But Butler staying? No.

Butler was all about getting a Max contract. Period. Thibs probably told him he could get him one. Which is why when Butler acted like a jackass, Thibs didn't say anything about it. Cuz Thibs knew by then it wouldn't happen. Though Tommy Boy did snicker when he was asked about it by reporters.

The quicker Taylor sells the team the better. Odd that even though he hasn't been able to find a buyer who'll pony-up the money and keep the team here, he reported kicked-up the asking price another $200m.

Maybe he's just decided to sell the team to someone who'll take it to Seattle or Vegas and say to the fans here "Sorry, but no one will pay us what we want".

Then will be the time to treat the team they way Butler did.

Hmm? Yep this is a surprise. All things considered. (Now back yo the Gopher game)

From the time the Timberwolves acquired guard Malik Beasley in early February, President Gersson Rosas said Beasley, due to become a restricted free agent this offseason, was going to be in the team’s long-term plans.

Rosas stood by that notion even as Beasley encountered legal trouble involving charges of drug possession and threats of violence for an incident at his home in September.

On Friday, when Rosas had the chance to prove that with the start of free agency, he backed up those words. The Wolves and Beasley agreed to a four-year deal with $60 million, a source confirmed Friday night. The fourth year of the deal is a team option.

The Wolves took care of some other business Friday in making the officially welcoming Ricky Rubio back to the Twin Cities by completing their trade with Oklahoma City..

Hmm? Yep this is a surprise. All things considered. (Now back yo the Gopher game)

From the time the Timberwolves acquired guard Malik Beasley in early February, President Gersson Rosas said Beasley, due to become a restricted free agent this offseason, was going to be in the team’s long-term plans.

Rosas stood by that notion even as Beasley encountered legal trouble involving charges of drug possession and threats of violence for an incident at his home in September.

On Friday, when Rosas had the chance to prove that with the start of free agency, he backed up those words. The Wolves and Beasley agreed to a four-year deal with $60 million, a source confirmed Friday night. The fourth year of the deal is a team option.

The Wolves took care of some other business Friday in making the officially welcoming Ricky Rubio back to the Twin Cities by completing their trade with Oklahoma City..

I don't hate the move and I really like Beasley. Let's hope the league doesn't suspend his rear end for too terribly long, regardless how the legal proceedings play out. Hard to imagine him not missing some time no matter what happens?

The Beasley contract at that price and length doesn't make sense to me (under the current criminal circumstances) except to line up the dollars with Rubio's contract to trade for a superstar. However, the wolves would still have to be able to offer draft picks in any deal to bring in a big name player and they have none to trade until 2023.

I thought drafting Edwards would make Beasely expendable. This contract at this price is a head scratcher.

The Beasley contract at that price and length doesn't make sense to me (under the current criminal circumstances) except to line up the dollars with Rubio's contract to trade for a superstar. However, the wolves would still have to be able to offer draft picks in any deal to bring in a big name player and they have none to trade until 2023.

I thought drafting Edwards would make Beasely expendable. This contract at this price is a head scratcher.

Good to see you haven't changed. "Why'd they do that? Why won't they do this? Taylor has to sell. If he doesn't they'll never get better. How can they pay that guy so much money? Why don't they trade him? Gees, they're awful!"

Not that I disagree with much of that at all. Though I do remember saying during the Khan years "If they're gonna keep being so awful, I wish they'd just sell and let some other city and fan deal with it"

And your reply?

"No! I just love the NBA and I know they're gonna get better!"

I agree with the former but in the "Stars can force a trade" era, certainly love the NBA a whole lot less. As for the they'll get better part? After 16 straight years with only one winning season? Still waiting for that part.

The irony is I am feeling better about their direction after the moves this week.

You?

Seems as if you think they are still making the wrong ones. :)

Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Good to see you haven't changed. "Why'd they do that? Why won't they do this? Taylor has to sell. If he doesn't they'll never get better. How can they pay that guy so much money? Why don't they trade him? Gees, they're awful!"

Not that I disagree with much of that at all. Though I do remember saying during the Khan years "If they're gonna keep being so awful, I wish they'd just sell and let some other city and fan deal with it"

And your reply?

"No! I just love the NBA and I know they're gonna get better!"

I agree with the former but in the "Stars can force a trade" era, certainly love the NBA a whole lot less. As for the they'll get better part? After 16 straight years with only one winning season? Still waiting for that part.

The irony is I am feeling better about their direction after the moves this week.

You?

Seems as if you think they are still making the wrong ones. :)

Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.
What's with that? The move didn't make sense to me and I explained why. Paying $60M to Beasley under these circumstances is an albatross contract unless Rosas has another move lined up.

I'm a wolves fan thick and thin. I criticize when merited and praise when deserved. For most of the last 15 years it's criticism for obvious reasons. I want the team to stay even if it goes 0-82 for ten straight years because I'd rather have an NBA team than not have one.

I was ok with the Edwards pick, but preferred Wiseman. I liked LeAndro and McDaniels, but want LeAndro here this year. The roster is definitely more talented but, at the moment, it's super unbalanced. I hope Rosas has at least two more moves to balance it out.

Your knee jerk reaction to everything is Las Vegas Wolves or Seattle Wolves. That's your prerogative.

What's with that? The move didn't make sense to me and I explained why. Paying $60M to Beasley under these circumstances is an albatross contract unless Rosas has another move lined up.

I'm a wolves fan thick and thin. I criticize when merited and praise when deserved. For most of the last 15 years it's criticism for obvious reasons. I want the team to stay even if it goes 0-82 for ten straight years because I'd rather have an NBA team than not have one.

I was ok with the Edwards pick, but preferred Wiseman. I liked LeAndro and McDaniels, but want LeAndro here this year. The roster is definitely more talented but, at the moment, it's super unbalanced. I hope Rosas has at least two more moves to balance it out.

Your knee jerk reaction to everything is Las Vegas Wolves or Seattle Wolves. That's your prerogative.

0-82 huh and for 10 straight years huh?

You'd be a VERY bad owner. ;)

Still lacking a sense of humor and your reading comprehension skills are limited to finding something to be defensive about.

My apologies. I forgot about that.

Last edited:

Now THIS is today's NBA. :ROFLMAO:

"Veteran forward Trevor Ariza is headed to his fourth team this week as part of a three-team trade involving the Detroit Pistons, Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Ariza will be rerouted from Detroit to Oklahoma City in a deal that sends forward Justin Jackson to Oklahoma City, power forward James Johnson to the Mavericks and guard Delon Wright to the Pistons, sources said."

0-82 huh and for 10 straight years huh?

You'd be a VERY bad owner. ;)

Still lacking a sense of humor and your reading comprehension skills are limited to finding something to be defensive about.

My apologies. I forgot about that.
Your apologies are accepted.

Wow. Beasley signs a 4-yr. 60 million deal with the Wolves. 4th year is a team option. Guess his legal issues had zero to do with resigning him.

Wow. Beasley signs a 4-yr. 60 million deal with the Wolves. 4th year is a team option. Guess his legal issues had zero to do with resigning him.
It's really three years for $45M, which is slightly more palatable. Maybe the team can get out of it if Beasley goes to jail. I hope they know something we don't. It seems like a pretty big overpay for a team with 26 off guards and no power forwards.

Lot of "what the hell" and "oh my" when it was learned that Gordon Hayward turned down his $34.2m option to stay with Boston. Admittedly there were more than a few people who said that he wouldn't do that unless he had a solid deal for more money.

They were right and he did.

He is signing a four-year, $120 million deal with the Charlotte Hornets.

Good for him. Though with his injury history it seems like quite a reach for Charlotte. Just reinforces an opinion. Micheal Jordan, one of the greatest players of all time is one of the worst owners.

Only Taylor and James Dolan keep him out of the bottom spot.

Atlanta just let Jeff Teague walk and Kris Dunn signed as a Free Agent with Atlanta.

Last edited:

Why did the Wolves overpay for Beasley? John Hollinger has a theory. It's behind a paywall and it's pretty long, but here's the gist of it.

For teams above the cap, however, a situation like Hayward’s presents a different conundrum. For any player worth the midlevel exception or more, the team is in a really tight spot. First, if the player leaves, it can’t come up with a replacement of equal value. Second, even if it can come up with something of nearly equivalent value with the midlevel exception (MLE), you only get one of them … and you just forfeited your opportunity to use it on a player at another position. Use that MLE to plug the first hole and leaks pop up elsewhere.

Agents know that all too well and bluff to their advantage. Oh, you won’t go to $15 million a year for my guy? There’s this desperate team with cap room out there who will. Do you dare call their bluff? Do you feel lucky? (A few agents who truly know the cap are especially gifted at this. Though I must say, negotiating with an agent who bluffs and doesn’t know the cap, while rare, is freaking hilarious.)

It creates tremendous pressure for over-the-cap teams to overpay their non-All-Star starters in years, annual money or both. It’s no accident that the biggest overpays this week were on big-money, long-term deals for accessory players on capped-out teams: four years and $64 million for Morris; four years and $75 million for Harris; three years and $40 million for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope; five years and $80 million for Davis Bertans; four years and $52 million for Jordan Clarkson; and four years and $60 million for Malik Beasley...

Ed Davis coming onto the TWolves in exchange for Jacob Evans and Omari Spellman. I know he’s regarded as a solid veteran presence, I hope he has something to offer on the court to the team, that frontline needs all the help it can get.

Ed Davis coming onto the TWolves in exchange for Jacob Evans and Omari Spellman. I know he’s regarded as a solid veteran presence, I hope he has something to offer on the court to the team, that frontline needs all the help it can get.

So he goes to the Knicks on the 20th and heads to the Wolves today? Nothing stable about the NBA!

"According to Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link), Hernangomez will sign a three-year, $21MM contract to remain in Minnesota. The deal will include a third-year team option, per Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic (Twitter link).

The 15th overall pick in the 2016 draft, Hernangomez spent the first three-and-a-half years of his career in Denver. Although he was a solid part of the Nuggets’ rotation in 2018/19, the 25-year-old saw his minutes cut back in ’19/20 after the team added Jerami Grant. With not enough minutes to go around for Hernangomez and Beasley, they were sent to the Timberwolves at the deadline.

With an increased role, Hernangomez elevated his game after being traded from Denver to Minnesota, averaging 12.9 PPG with a .420 3PT% in 14 contests as the Timberwolves’ starting power forward. That strong finish helped him earn a nice multiyear commitment from the Wolves in free agency.."

RandBall: Ed Davis might be the Wolves' most important new player next season

While Edwards is the most important move (by far) for the long run, Rubio is the most interesting and fun move and deals for Beasley and Hernangomez are the types of deals that can make the Wolves more competitive for the duration of Karl-Anthony Towns’ contract, Davis might end up being the new player who has the most significant impact on how the Wolves play in the short-term — a season that begins in less than a month.

Davis has proven adept over the course of his career in both offensive and defensive pick and roll situations. At 6-9, with a 7-2 wingspan, Davis is good at contesting shots, grabbing rebounds and snaring both putbacks and passes for dunks.

So? There are a lot of players like that in the NBA.

Howl Wolves!!

RandBall: Ed Davis might be the Wolves' most important new player next season

While Edwards is the most important move (by far) for the long run, Rubio is the most interesting and fun move and deals for Beasley and Hernangomez are the types of deals that can make the Wolves more competitive for the duration of Karl-Anthony Towns’ contract, Davis might end up being the new player who has the most significant impact on how the Wolves play in the short-term — a season that begins in less than a month.

Davis has proven adept over the course of his career in both offensive and defensive pick and roll situations. At 6-9, with a 7-2 wingspan, Davis is good at contesting shots, grabbing rebounds and snaring both putbacks and passes for dunks.

So? There are a lot of players like that in the NBA.

Howl Wolves!!
Davis was bad last season but hopefully that was a blip in an otherwise solid career as a back-up big. He is very well liked by teammates and coaches. That is a big reason he is here.

per Shooter:

There’s buzz that ex-Wolves coach Tom Thibodeau, now of the New York Knicks, is interested in Malik Beasley, recently signed by the Wolves for $60 million for four years. No. 1 pick Anthony Edwards, 6-5, and Beasley, 6-4, play the same position.

Howl Wolves!!

David Aldrige in The Athletic ranked all 30 teams based on what they had done since the end of the season. In a long disclaimer he stresses that this is not a prediction of how each team will do in the season.

Subscribers who ignore the disclaimer and go right to the rankings will be in for quite the surprise. ;)

9. Minnesota Timberwolves
2019-20 record: 19-45; did not make playoffs

Added: G Anthony Edwards (first round, first pick overall); G Ricky Rubio (acquired from Oklahoma City); F/C Ed Davis (acquired from New York); F Mathias Lessort (acquired from Clippers); G Leandro Bolmaro (draft rights acquired from New York); F Jaden McDaniels (draft rights acquired from Oklahoma City)

Lost: F James Johnson (traded to Oklahoma City); F Omari Spellman (traded to New York); G Jacob Evans (traded to New York); 2024 second-round pick (traded to Oklahoma City); F Aleksej Pokusevski (draft rights traded to Oklahoma City); G Immanuel Quickley (draft rights traded to New York); C Daniel Oturo (draft rights traded to Clippers)

Retained: G Malik Beasley (four years, $59.7M); F Juancho Hernangomez (two years, $13.5M)

The Skinny: The Wolves auctioned the first pick long and hard before deciding to keep it and take Edwards rather than LaMelo Ball, whose pre-draft interview with the team was not optimal and who didn’t seem a natural positional fit on a team that already has a guy who needs the rock in D’Angelo Russell. You win with stars; if Minny thinks the Georgia guard can be special, it was smart to turn down offers short of mortal lock All-Stars for the pick. Bringing Rubio back for a second tour of duty to serve as a mentor/teacher for both of Minnesota’s guards was good thinking, too. The Wolves didn’t really address their atrocious defense, though, with any of their moves, so Edwards will need to help them try to outscore opponents on the regular.

“I feel it was a great fit to come back here by the timing of everything,” Rubio said. He added later: “It feels good to be back. … I feel like I belong here.”

He said he maintained good relationships with the Wolves — including with Saunders — after leaving but didn’t envision he would be back in Minnesota at this stage of his career.

It was quite a journey back to Minnesota.

Shortly after taking Anthony Edwards with the No. 1 overall pick, the Wolves swung a trade with Oklahoma City to bring back Rubio — the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft who had spent the past three seasons out of Minnesota but not as far away from the hearts of many fans.

Oklahoma City had acquired Rubio in a trade with Phoenix for Chris Paul just days before the Wolves reacquired him.

Rubio comes back to a different organization than the one that traded him to Utah three years ago. The man who traded him, Tom Thibodeau, is gone. He also won’t have to be the franchise savior, as he carried part of that burden early in his career.

Rubio, 30, is coming off a season in which he averaged 13.0 points and 8.8 assists per game with Phoenix after spending two years with the Jazz. He made a career-high 36.1% of his three-point attempts last season and has improved his overall shooting percentage since his first stint with the Wolves...

While not in jail this offseason, Wolves' Beasley is cheating on his wife with Larsa Pippen:

Howl Wolves!!

per STrib:

Malik Beasley did not have much to say Wednesday about the charges he’s facing for drug possession and threats of violence stemming from an incident in September at his home in Plymouth.

In his first media session since April, Beasley declined to talk about the charges — citing the fact that his case is still pending, while saying he appreciated the support the Wolves have shown him through this process, especially in re-signing him to a four-year deal worth up to $60 million.

“It’s a legal issue,” Beasley said. “I cannot really comment on that right now, but I appreciate the Timberwolves’ support and I’m 100% focused on the court this year and doing what we have to do.”

Beasley spoke along with forward Juancho Hernangomez as the Wolves are holding individual workouts in advance of the NBA’s season, which is set to open Dec. 22. He replied to multiple questions about the case by saying he wished only to discuss basketball matters.

His next court hearing is scheduled for Dec. 17.

President Gersson Rosas has said the organization would stand by Beasley throughout the process and Rosas backed up his words in signing Beasley to the new deal, which includes a team option for the fourth year.

“We’ve gone above and beyond to make sure that this is a situation that we address in the best way possible, supporting Malik and also creating an environment and a structure where we grow, mature and develop,” Rosas said Wednesday. “But that goes for all of our players, and unfortunately life happens in a lot of different ways, not only to Malik, not only to our players, but our staff and people around our organization.

“And we’re going to learn from it. Our focus is not to make the same mistake over and over again.”

Howl Wolves!!

Top Bottom