2020 Iowa game moved to Friday night

I am torn because on one hand it's cool to play a night game against a big rival, on the other hand the game is on a Friday and we will miss out on what could have been a nice Saturday afternoon game. The impact on attendance will be interesting to see. It's early enough in the season that some of the shine of 2019 ought to play a factor in getting bandwagon fans to games and for those in the metro area, a Friday night game might be more doable than a Saturday afternoon when various fall activities take up the day.

However, this is going to cut down on outstate fans that won't be able to make it due to work and school commitments or that either won't want to drive home very late at night or can't or won't be able to stay over at a hotel. The many high school football players that attend games will also be kept away for obvious reasons. As far as visiting fans go, it might keep away some of the Hawkeyes fans that drive north from Iowa, but I think most Iowa fans that come to TCF Bank Stadium are from the Twin Cities or outstate Minnesota anyway.

I am not against Friday night games but I wish the U would lay down some ground rules and say we would play on the Friday of MEA or the following Friday when the majority (all but 6A) play high school playoffs on Tuesday and Saturday. The Indiana game happen to fall on the playoff week and only 6A schools had games.
Yup.
Minnesota is one of the only states that has a built in Friday with no High School football.
We should tell the big ten we will host MEA Friday every other year but other than that refuse to play Friday home games.

As far as the TV network goes, there were four prime time Friday games in 2019 with two on FS1 and two on BTN. In 2018 there were also four prime time Friday games with two on FS1, one on ESPN, and one on BTN. In 2017 there were three on FS1 and one on ESPN.

I feel like folks throw out "hey exposure" all the time... I'm not sure anyone really can quantify what (if anything) a friday game gets any team.
If this is the only marquee match up that night, probably a lot. Let's say both teams win their bowl games and are undefeated. Both will be ranked inside of top 20, maybe top 15.

Oh, and I would be prepared to stand the whole game.

If this is the only marquee match up that night, probably a lot. Let's say both teams win their bowl games and are undefeated. Both will be ranked inside of top 20, maybe top 15.

Oh, and I would be prepared to stand the whole game.
Almost every high school player in the country will be unable to watch that night.
Almost every high school football fan and coach will be unable to watch that night.

Honestly the big ten should do Thursday night games instead of Fridays

Almost every high school player in the country will be unable to watch that night.
Almost every high school football fan and coach will be unable to watch that night.

But THINK OF THE EXPOSURE!!!

/s

As far as the TV network goes, there were four prime time Friday games in 2019 with two on FS1 and two on BTN. In 2018 there were also four prime time Friday games with two on FS1, one on ESPN, and one on BTN. In 2017 there were three on FS1 and one on ESPN.
And I hope the ratings were crap for all of them, unless they were Labor or Thanksgiving weekend games.

I am torn because on one hand it's cool to play a night game against a big rival, on the other hand the game is on a Friday and we will miss out on what could have been a nice Saturday afternoon game.

I am conflicted as well.

Pros - I am already downtown for work, so that is convenient.
Saturday completely free for golf.
Night games are great at TCF Bank, I wish every September game was played under the lights.

Cons - Miss out on HS game that week.
Will likely reduce the amount of tailgate time available.

You can't always get what you want, when you want it.

Don't private schools play on Saturday? Or is that a Maryland Catholic school thing?

Unless both teams are idle the week before, I can't see that happening for a conference game.

Don't private schools play on Saturday? Or is that a Maryland Catholic school thing?
there are a few city games in stadiums without lights that play Saturday. But not that common in MN

Perhaps this will keep some Iowans at home working the fields...

And I hope the ratings were crap for all of them, unless they were Labor or Thanksgiving weekend games.
I'm guessing the ratings are worse locally because of more conflicts with HS football but it's probably better nationally because the game isn't competing for ratings with other games.

Those of us that work in the banking sector still have to take a vacation day on the Friday after Thanksgiving if we want it off.

I'm guessing the ratings are worse locally because of more conflicts with HS football but it's probably better nationally because the game isn't competing for ratings with other games.
Well yes exactly, that's the theory. And I hope it gets proven wrong.

I think you underestimate people's ability to stream the game. I'm sure many high school football fans will be watching the games simultaneously if they really care enough about the gophers.

The Friday games are also a big hit with Vegas and gamblers in general.

TV demanded it, and Big Ten said yessir, anything else sir?

Oh don't worry, it's just Minnesota and Iowa, not the actual schools around the Great Lakes that we care about.

We will take that $50M a year, though.

Ohio State and Penn State both played Friday night games this year.

And yes I'm aware they were both the visiting team but that wasn't the comment

absolutely hate this. Friday games change everything for my situation. Plus, I go to HS games often and will have to miss a night of that. But most importantly, there was a tradition that worked sooooo well and made for the creation of so many traditions: High School football on Friday, College on Saturday, and pro on Sunday.

Top Bottom