2020 Iowa game moved to Friday night

Guys, if helmet schools/powerhouses like USC and Oregon are hosting Friday night games - which they both did this year - do we really think we're above it?

Ohio State and Penn State both played Friday night games this year.

And yes I'm aware they were both the visiting team but that wasn't the comment
Very good counter-point.

My comment was (lazily) only addressing someone else’s claim that Michigan pronounced that they would not comply with the Friday games.

Guys, if helmet schools/powerhouses like USC and Oregon are hosting Friday night games - which they both did this year - do we really think we're above it?
Michigan apparently does.

Football Friday night and then golf in the cities Saturday...I'm in.

And? We all know that Michigan and OSU are treated differently in the Big 10 than the rest of the conference

With regards to the Friday night thing, I am totally fine that Michigan & Ohio State are being treated differently. Getting over 100,000 fans in and out of Ann Arbor & Columbus on a Friday night feels like a logistical nightmare. Add Penn St to that list.

If I'm reading my calendar correctly, I will be at a HS game in Lake Crystal, MN on the Friday night game with Iowa. Have to DVR the Gophers and watch on Saturday.

As noted, the Black Friday game will likely conflict with the MN Prep Bowl - HS football championship games. Depending on who's playing in the HS games, that will be another DVR possibility.

Yes.

For all the reasons listed in this thread.

Should be great weather, the bank is awesome at night. Take day off work, hammer the tailgate, then watch Gophers Rip the Hawks a new one, and claim the Pig. Sounds like a plan

Guarantees poor attendance. High school football will prevail. Takes the vibe out. Better to play Saturday night.

Guarantees poor attendance. High school football will prevail. Takes the vibe out. Better to play Saturday night.

I don't think your first sentence will age well. I'd certainly guarantee this game will be a sellout. We had one of our biggest crowds ever at the Dome for Michigan in 2003 - and that was changed to Friday on short notice. Also, I'm pretty sure there was also HS football being played that night.

I forgot they don't play HS football in Southern California. Or people don't drive 3+ hours to Eugene for games at Oregon.

So?

Michigan won't do it at home.

Ohio St. has refused at home.

Maybe we should be like them?

I don't think your first sentence will age well. I'd certainly guarantee this game will be a sellout. We had one of our biggest crowds ever at the Dome for Michigan in 2003 - and that was changed to Friday on short notice. Also, I'm pretty sure there was also HS football being played that night.
It will be a sellout but home viewership will be down. If teams already have a loss or two, the place will have a lot of empty seats.

So?

Michigan won't do it at home.

Ohio St. has refused at home.

Maybe we should be like them?

Short-sighted and ridiculous point. Sorry.

This is like saying the Twins should demand the same TV leverage from networks as the Yankees. There are decades of success that allowed both into that position. We aren't close to there yet. The fact that people are arguing otherwise because of personal commitments/logistics is hilarious. Money talks and the Big Ten TV contract pays a lot of bills.

Short-sighted and ridiculous point. Sorry.

This is like saying the Twins should demand the same TV leverage from networks as the Yankees. There are decades of success that allowed both into that position. We aren't close to there yet. The fact that people are arguing otherwise because of personal commitments/logistics is hilarious. Money talks and the Big Ten TV contract pays a lot of bills.

What do you mean by TV leverage?

The U can refuse to play Friday night games at home... they're not forced to play them.

It will be a sellout but home viewership will be down. If teams already have a loss or two, the place will have a lot of empty seats.

Haha. If we lose to Florida Atlantic or Tennessee Tech, we have MUCH bigger problems next year than empty seats for a game.

What do you mean by TV leverage?

The U can refuse to play Friday night games... they're not forced to play them.

How is this not clear? Certain programs (or pro sports teams) have the ability to dictate what kind of timeslots they get or to ensure they play in prime ones. This can't be news to you. Do you think it's coincidence that the Yankees are always playing in the national prime slot for the playoffs? Or that the Lakers are basically always part of the NBA's Christmas slate of games? Same goes for certain football programs. The U gets many millions of dollars from the TV contract. You're not really trying to argue that we have the same leverage to push back on the Big Ten's request like Ohio State or Michigan, are you?

The thing many of you are not seeing is that despite your personal conflicts and bitches, Coyle and PJ see this as an opportunity to get us an uncontested slot in a likely ranked vs ranked game under the lights (which almost certainly leads to a hyped atmosphere). There is a bigger picture here and it's good for the U getting more national exposure with the rest of the college football world. And yes, the seats will be filled for a night game with Iowa.

How is this not clear? Certain programs (or pro sports teams) have the ability to dictate what kind of timeslots they get or to ensure they play in prime ones. This can't be news to you. Do you think it's coincidence that the Yankees are always playing in the national prime slot for the playoffs? Or that the Lakers are basically always part of the NBA's Christmas slate of games? Same goes for certain football programs. The U gets many millions of dollars from the TV contract. You're not really trying to argue that we have the same leverage to push back on the Big Ten's request like Ohio State or Michigan, are you?

The thing many of you are not seeing is that despite your personal conflicts and bitches, Coyle and PJ see this as an opportunity to get us an uncontested slot in a likely ranked vs ranked game under the lights (which almost certainly leads to a hyped atmosphere). There is a bigger picture here and it's good for the U getting more national exposure with the rest of the college football world. And yes, the seats will be filled for a night game with Iowa.

You know nothing of that first paragraph applies here right?

This isn't the PAC-12, this isn't the NBA, this isn't MLB....

After the B1G announced the Friday night games and a lot of fans objected the B1G straight up said no team would be required to play a Friday night game at home if they didn't want to ... it's not a mystery here.

You know nothing of that first paragraph applies here right?

This isn't the PAC-12, this isn't the NBA, this isn't MLB....

After the B1G announced the Friday night games and a lot of fans objected the B1G straight up said no team would be required to play a Friday night game at home if they didn't want to ... it's not a mystery here.

Fella, did you NOT read the second paragraph? I just laid it out for you. Obviously the U sees the benefit of this slot and atmosphere. I will trust Coyle and PJ's judgement.

Again, despite all the bitching, I lay before you two examples where it was a great matchup and people were excited about the Gophers, but a weeknight game did not hurt the attendance - or the hype:

Michigan 2003
TCU 2015

Fella, did you NOT read the second paragraph? I just laid it out for you. Obviously the U sees the benefit of this slot and atmosphere. I will trust Coyle and PJ's judgement.

Again, despite all the bitching, I lay before you two examples where it was a great matchup and people were excited about the Gophers, but a weeknight game did not hurt the attendance - or the hype:

Michigan 2003
TCU 2015

The second paragraph is basically saying what we already knew in the news... a decision was made.

What does that have to do with your whole theory about different teams being able to dictate timeslots?

The second paragraph is basically saying what we already knew in the news... a decision was made.

What does that have to do with your whole theory about different teams being able to dictate timeslots?

If you think our AD and Ohio State or Michigan's AD's have the same ear of the Big Ten office, you're living in a Utopian dream world where college football is played on a level playing field.

As a secondary point, we are at a juncture where we need and want more national exposure. OSU and Michigan can feel comfortable knowing that they will have great viewership and attendance regardless of when they play.

Yup.
Minnesota is one of the only states that has a built in Friday with no High School football.
We should tell the big ten we will host MEA Friday every other year but other than that refuse to play Friday home games.
Agree. Which is why if we were smart we would tell the big ten MEA or not at all
Mark Coyle told the Fan Experience Committee (or whatever it's called) that they were forced into the Indiana deal, but after that he told the B1G MN would only do it on MEA from then forward. So, we can see how much sway THAT had...

I forgot about the Nebby game on black Friday for two years.

Count me in the group that very much dislikes this. Part of it principle- big boys say “no”, so we’re stuck doing more of them. Another problem is the U isn’t really committed to doing this right. There always seems to be logistical problems with full time workers and their parking conflicting with tailgating. This also means taking off time for work to get to tailgating, etc. Also, having young kids I’m hoping this is a 6pm start, otherwise I also have to find babysitting as it’ll be too late to bring them.

I know things have been trending this way, but this is just another way the B1G and teams say F you to the people that actually go to the games.

The only positive I see is potentially fewer Iowa fans at the game.

Here is the one thing, more than any other thing, I have learned about college football over my 54 years as an adult fan: we fans are extras in the game, not paid extras, paying extras. We have no say regarding anything that interfears with the real money in TV exposure. The U will tell you very, very politely, "we (ie you) have no control over that."

Almost every high school player in the country will be unable to watch that night.
Almost every high school football fan and coach will be unable to watch that night.

Honestly the big ten should do Thursday night games instead of Fridays
Umm, other people watch college football.

Top Bottom