2020 Iowa game moved to Friday night

Coyle hired PJ to bring this team to the next level, which includes better recruiting. Part of that is making us a nationally recognized team. What better way than to get a Friday night, presumably nationally-televised game. Even if this wasn't Coyle's idea, he should be loving it.

Last edited:

I'm fine with one Friday game a year. Like it in earlier fall as well for the typically great weather. Just PLEASE, do not make it a 6:00 start.

I work evenings and won't get to see the game live regardless of which day it is. Fortunately, this is the age of DVR and we never have to miss anything, ever again. It's great to get that slot and the ensuing exposure on this ascending Gopher team and easily worth the opportunity to keep up this year's momentum with national recognition. Instead of complaining about it, we really should be grateful that it's a home game. It's a border rival game between two (probably) top 20 teams! It doesn't get much better than that. If you'd rather be at a different game as a principle, then what's really your priority anyway? Great chance to breed new fans by giving away your ticket to a friend or selling it cheap to someone else! I haven't watched a high school game since high school so no conflict for me. IMHO there isn't a chance in hell this game doesn't sell out. If the Gophers manage to upset Auburn a little less than two weeks from now....it might sell out a lot faster than you think.

Last edited:

On Saturday, there will be a multitude of games. On Friday night, a lot of fans across america will be watching that would not be on Saturday. This is a win.

A Friday night game during HS football season means:
1. no HS football players - including potential recruits - can watch the game live
2. no HS football players - including recruits - can attend the game
3. It forces a lot of fans to choose between the Gophers and their local HS football team. And make no mistake - a lot of people support HS football. It's not just the big metro schools. It's every small school across the state. In the smaller towns, the HS football game is the big event of the week.
4. I know for a fact that HS coaches don't like it - and college teams need to have good relationships with HS Coaches for recruiting.
5. The Iowa State High School Athletic association is on record as opposing Friday night games. Can't find if the MSHSL has taken an official stance.

A Friday night game during HS football season means:
1. no HS football players - including potential recruits - can watch the game live
2. no HS football players - including recruits - can attend the game
3. It forces a lot of fans to choose between the Gophers and their local HS football team. And make no mistake - a lot of people support HS football. It's not just the big metro schools. It's every small school across the state. In the smaller towns, the HS football game is the big event of the week.
4. I know for a fact that HS coaches don't like it - and college teams need to have good relationships with HS Coaches for recruiting.
5. The Iowa State High School Athletic association is on record as opposing Friday night games. Can't find if the MSHSL has taken an official stance.

Yet somehow for Michigan in 2003 at the Dump, we had one of our largest crowds ever. If the hype and the quality of the teams are there, people will come - whether it's a Friday, Wednesday or Saturday.

Pretty sure there was a 10-page thread bitching about Penn St being picked for an 11am start this year too. And we all know how that atmosphere turned out.

Just thought of something...it's either a Gameday conspiracy to not have to come here for that game OR they are planning a Gameday doubleheader weekend.

Just thought of something...it's either a Gameday conspiracy to not have to come here for that game OR they are planning a Gameday doubleheader weekend.

I would like to see Gameday come here for the Little Brown Jug contest.

Yet somehow for Michigan in 2003 at the Dump, we had one of our largest crowds ever. If the hype and the quality of the teams are there, people will come - whether it's a Friday, Wednesday or Saturday.

Pretty sure there was a 10-page thread bitching about Penn St being picked for an 11am start this year too. And we all know how that atmosphere turned out.
And we all know 2003 worked well for the program

Top Bottom