2020 Iowa game moved to Friday night

I for one LOVE night games and if I were the coach/AD and nobody were standing in my way the Gophers would be unique by playing ALL night games. Night games in September are even better.

Friday is even better (for one time only) because it's all to ourselves. Hoping it's FOX and not BTN. That game is going to be sold out and lit.

The Big 10 is pathetic for not standing up to the TV networks.

I would prefer only Saturday games. The opening Thursday game was okay but not great. Multiple games not on Saturday in a season is too much.

If they really need Friday games, make the teams that play like high school teams (Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland, Purdue) play in them.

No matter how they try to sell it, it's not like the NFL where the Thursday and Monday games are better. Maybe I'll buy that when Ohio State gets their fair share and gets some home ones but that clearly isn't the case now. If they're going to do them all teams should get an equal number, both home and away.

The Big 10 is pathetic for not standing up to the TV networks.

I would prefer only Saturday games. The opening Thursday game was okay but not great. Multiple games not on Saturday in a season is too much.

If they really need Friday games, make the teams that play like high school teams (Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland, Purdue) play in them.

No matter how they try to sell it, it's not like the NFL where the Thursday and Monday games are better. Maybe I'll buy that when Ohio State gets their fair share and gets some home ones but that clearly isn't the case now. If they're going to do them all teams should get an equal number, both home and away.
Well, you're in a minority. Also MNF is a shell of what it was, barely watchable.

Well, you're in a minority. Also MNF is a shell of what it was, barely watchable.
Maybe of people here but I bet most Gophers fans think that Friday football is for high schools and the MAC.

Even if this particular game ends up being good for us, Gophers fans should be mad about it. Other teams get to opt out and we don't. Penn State gets an extra game to have recruits visit than us because they opted out of Friday games. The extra exposure doesn't help when the people we want to see us are all playing in their own games.

What is the average attendance of a high school football game? 1000? 3000? 5000?

This is just not that big of a deal, it's Iowa on a Friday night, seems great to me!

I think that you are forgetting that theres more than one high school.

What is the average attendance of all high school football games in the area?

How many of those football fans would go to this college football game if they didn't have the high school game commitment?

I bet Its enough to keep TCF from selling out.

I would think that the Big 10 would have more respect for High School Friday night Football. I agree, it is pretty lame that the conference doesn't stand up to this. Yes money talks, however they stepped over the line and showed no respect for high school football.

I for one LOVE night games and if I were the coach/AD and nobody were standing in my way the Gophers would be unique by playing ALL night games. Night games in September are even better.

Friday is even better (for one time only) because it's all to ourselves. Hoping it's FOX and not BTN. That game is going to be sold out and lit.

Me too. I'm fine with a Friday night game or two. Night games in the fall are awesome. Temp is great and the crowd is usually pumped.

Don't care for them flexing the Iowa game though. Should be a couple of ranked teams playing for Floyd. Could have been a potential Gameday game.

I'm also fine with occasional Friday games. We can end this thread.

I love night games, especially mid-October and earlier. They are a lot easier for me to be able to attend with kid's activities during the day on Saturdays. Plus the atmosphere is usually better.

I vaguely remember during the Wacker years that the Gophers played a lot of home night games.

I wouldn't mind at all if we did one Friday night game a season and would love to see a couple Saturday night games.

What is the average attendance of a high school football game? 1000? 3000? 5000?

This is just not that big of a deal, it's Iowa on a Friday night, seems great to me!
Less than 5.
Probably less than 1k.

1k times 225 games on a Friday night would be 225 thousand football fans.

I still think the Iowa games sells out. That’s not the point.
My point is that thousands of football fans in Minnesota won’t get to watch this big game

Less than 5.
Probably less than 1k.

1k times 225 games on a Friday night would be 225 thousand football fans.

My point is that thousands of football fans in Minnesota won’t get to watch this big game

I'm sure there are thousands of football fans that can't watch games on Saturdays for other reasons. Maybe this is a chance to get some new fans watching the team.

I'm sure there are thousands of football fans that can't watch games on Saturdays for other reasons. Maybe this is a chance to get some new fans watching the team.
Maybe it is.
Or maybe the big ten told us we get to do this even if we don’t want to

Maybe it is.
Or maybe the big ten told us we get to do this even if we don’t want to
Totally could be that we were told we had no choice. I just see it as a positive if it's a once a year thing.

We've got a Hawk nephew that we know is getting married in September. Don't know the date yet but have been concerned it would be the I-O-W-A gameday. Now not an issue if that day. Go to the game and drive down to Des Moines or wherever that next morning.

Won't get to watch live.

But then, that's also still the point ... why have the live game on such a stupid time? It's supposedly about getting higher ratings, from less competition in the same time slot.

I hope that theory fails.

Maybe of people here but I bet most Gophers fans think that Friday football is for high schools and the MAC.

Even if this particular game ends up being good for us, Gophers fans should be mad about it. Other teams get to opt out and we don't. Penn State gets an extra game to have recruits visit than us because they opted out of Friday games. The extra exposure doesn't help when the people we want to see us are all playing in their own games.
It's one Friday night. I'm totally fine with it. Rather it be a home game than an away game as well.

I graduated from the University of Colorado (after transferring from the U) and I'll just say that those Black Friday games in Boulder were the event of our seasons. We all were home for Thanksgiving dinner, but back up and pre-gaming at 7 or 8am on those Friday mornings.

Bottom line is people generally work it out - regardless of the day of the week - for huge games.
Count me in among the many fans of Boulder on Black Friday.

Who is "We"?
bl2.jpg

Never.
Gets.
Old.

I have worked in the private country club business most of my life, I can equate that somewhat to being a season ticket holder. I learned long ago that whatever you do for a large group of people, there will always be a small outspoken percentage that will bitch. If I sent every member/season ticket holder a $10,000 diamond as a thank you, some percentage would come back and ask for a ruby instead. Gophers/Iowa prime time at TCF on a Saturday, love it! Now, quityourbitchen

Won't get to watch live.

But then, that's also still the point ... why have the live game on such a stupid time? It's supposedly about getting higher ratings, from less competition in the same time slot.

I hope that theory fails.
No. It isn’t because it’s a good time slot.
it’s because it’s an additional time slot.

I have worked in the private country club business most of my life, I can equate that somewhat to being a season ticket holder. I learned long ago that whatever you do for a large group of people, there will always be a small outspoken percentage that will bitch. If I sent every member/season ticket holder a $10,000 diamond as a thank you, some percentage would come back and ask for a ruby instead. Gophers/Iowa prime time at TCF on a Saturday, love it! Now, quityourbitchen
I would love prime time on a Saturday

I like it. Whenever a game is scheduled, it will be a conflict for certain fans.

Top Bottom