2020 Iowa game moved to Friday night

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
Biggest game of the home schedule on a Friday?? Should be a great atmosphere under the lights but the traditionalist in me hates it.

Great for early-season exposure. Hoping it'll be the FOX national game

I don't like it.

Michigan and other schools said they won't do it at home ... apparently we buckled under and said yes.

Bad enough we do the Thursday opener.

We're not Michigan at this point. Any chance to be the prime focus of the college football watching nation (which any of these Friday FOX games are) is worth it at this point as we are continuing to build the national brand. I'm going to also guess this will be well sold out and Friday vs Saturday won't hurt a bit

Only good news is we will be coming off a much easier game, they are squaring off against Iowa State the weekend before.

We're not Michigan at this point. Any chance to be the prime focus of the college football watching nation (which any of these Friday FOX games are) is worth it at this point as we are continuing to build the national brand. I'm going to also guess this will be well sold out and Friday vs Saturday won't hurt a bit

I feel like folks throw out "hey exposure" all the time... I'm not sure anyone really can quantify what (if anything) a friday game gets any team.

I don't like it.

Michigan and other schools said they won't do it at home ... apparently we buckled under and said yes.

Bad enough we do the Thursday opener.

That's my gripe as well. I was OK with the Indiana game being on a Friday last season as a novelty. But playing one of our big rivals on a Friday sucks.

Pretty shameful that the conference allows the big dicks to opt out of the Friday home games while we are forced to deal with this crap.

I feel like folks throw out "hey exposure" all the time... I'm not sure anyone really can quantify what (if anything) a friday game gets any team.

FOX does a really nice job with the Friday games. Their whole studio crew is in (Meyer, Bush, Leinart). I'd say anytime you can be on a main network channel, that's pretty desirable. When it happens when there are a bunch of other competing college games is even better.

Day after Thanksgiving road game isn't that big a deal, but having two weeknight games in September is rough.

I get that playing on Black Friday is a Nebraska tradition, but it's a huge pain in the ass for those of us who want to go to Lincoln.

Thursday opener, and we already have the day-after-Thanksgiving Friday game against Nebraska, and now this? LAME.
I forgot about the Nebby game on black Friday for two years.

Count me in the group that very much dislikes this. Part of it principle- big boys say “no”, so we’re stuck doing more of them. Another problem is the U isn’t really committed to doing this right. There always seems to be logistical problems with full time workers and their parking conflicting with tailgating. This also means taking off time for work to get to tailgating, etc. Also, having young kids I’m hoping this is a 6pm start, otherwise I also have to find babysitting as it’ll be too late to bring them.

I know things have been trending this way, but this is just another way the B1G and teams say F you to the people that actually go to the games.

The only positive I see is potentially fewer Iowa fans at the game.

I get that playing on Black Friday is a Nebraska tradition, but it's a huge pain in the ass for those of us who want to go to Lincoln.

I graduated from the University of Colorado (after transferring from the U) and I'll just say that those Black Friday games in Boulder were the event of our seasons. We all were home for Thanksgiving dinner, but back up and pre-gaming at 7 or 8am on those Friday mornings.

Bottom line is people generally work it out - regardless of the day of the week - for huge games.

I graduated from the University of Colorado (after transferring from the U) and I'll just say that those Black Friday games in Boulder were the event of our seasons. We all were home for Thanksgiving dinner, but back up and pre-gaming at 7 or 8am on those Friday mornings.

Bottom line is people generally work it out - regardless of the day of the week - for huge games.

Sure, but those are home games. I'm talking about needing to make a 6 hour drive on Thanksgiving night.

I'm ok with that to some extent. They got a thing, it's their game at their place, I'll respect it.

It's In Neb, it's their game ... their call IMO.

We will also be hosting at TCF on Black Friday afternoon in 2021.

Positives: 1. Less IA fans likely. 2. Less drunken IA fans very likely. 3. For all w/ conflicts, what an opportunity to get some new or haven’t attended in a long time friends/family to use your tix. 4. Natl exposure for a big rivalry game on the point on the calendar when P5 programs are playing Sun Belt, etc., or directional FCS, schools. 5. No worries about team switching to the sun side benches. ?

I am not against Friday night games but I wish the U would lay down some ground rules and say we would play on the Friday of MEA or the following Friday when the majority (all but 6A) play high school playoffs on Tuesday and Saturday. The Indiana game happen to fall on the playoff week and only 6A schools had games.

TV demanded it, and Big Ten said yessir, anything else sir?

Oh don't worry, it's just Minnesota and Iowa, not the actual schools around the Great Lakes that we care about.

We will take that $50M a year, though.

Agree. Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekend, lots of teams play on Friday, even Thursday (moreso Labor than Thanks).

The other weeks, you are disrespecting high school football. Sorry but hope these Friday night games during the regular season get horrible TV ratings, so the TV execs will piss off. Tried it, fine, didn't work.

I am fine with this. Really what is the difference between Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend? The only real bummer is those that have to travel.

I highly doubt it would be an 11am kick. Nebraska/Iowa this year was like 3pm. People should still have time to drive in the AM

I highly doubt it would be an 11am kick. Nebraska/Iowa this year was like 3pm. People should still have time to drive in the AM
The kickoff was at 1:30. If they keep the same time - sure, you can have Thanksgiving at home with your family, but if you want to drive down on Friday morning, you'll need to leave home by 6 am or earlier.

I am fine with this. Really what is the difference between Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend? The only real bummer is those that have to travel.

Well I mean the travel is kinda it.

Like if you're making more than a day trip ... you gotta come back on Thanksgiving to make it back to the cities to go to the game.

There’s two games I miss due to HS commitments.
Same.
Already out for 3 of 7 home games between 2 HS conflicts and a wedding

if any of the other 4 games are at 11am I’ll have to miss those as well for Hs football commitments.

Hard for HS football people to be college fans these days

Top Bottom