2020 Depth Chart predictions

Good post & echoing your comments: At DT I imagine Angelo Carter will likely gets snaps behind Micah Dew-Treadway, with Schad & Cheaney likely splitting time at the other DT spot, and Ahanotou somewhere in the mix at either DT or DE.

I think we might be better at DE next year, as crazy as that sounds. Time to let Mafe & Otomewu eat!

At LB we lose a lot of experience but Oliver & Sori-Marin have game time under their belts, Rush is a great athlete & I'm excited to see what James Gordon & Donald Willis bring to the table? Word out of practice was very positive about those two.

It sucks we lose Winfield, but Tyler Nubin will be a very good player & Benny Sapp should be ready for prime time as well. Who replaces Williamson in the slot/hybrid spot?

Jamal Teague has been very solid for us as well. If DeAngelo Carter takes snaps away from him (it's certainly possible), then we are at a very good place along our DL.

As odd as it sounds, I agree with you about our DE. Mafe has a higher ceiling than even he understands. The guy is big and he can fly. It genuinely wouldn't surprise me to see him take a HUGE step up next year.

Ahanotou will be interesting as well.

Durr played.

My depth chart:
Tanner
Mo
Bate
CAB
Geary is my darkhorse to crack the lineup or (*mystery transfer from Nebraska)
Paulson BSF
6 headed monster at OL

Osezi
Schad
Dew
Boye
Oliver
Sori Marin
Rush
Coney
St Juste
Howden
Sapp
Nubin
this is really hard to read for someone who does not instantly know what position each player plays.

this is really hard to read for someone who does not instantly know what position each player plays.
My depth chart:
Tanner - QB
Mo - RB
Bate - WR
CAB - WR
Geary is my darkhorse to crack the lineup or (*mystery transfer from Nebraska) - WR
Paulson BSF - TE
6 headed monster at OL

Osezi - DE
Schad - DT
Dew - DT
Boye - DE
Oliver - LB
Sori Marin - LB
Rush - LB
Coney - CB
St Juste - CB
Howden - S
Sapp - S
Nubin - S

thanks Blah Blah! i'm a little out of my league in these threads.

also, can i get a little more info on the o-line? wasn't there a guy around here that broke down the o-line play pretty well early in the season? is he still around?

On the OL, the walk-on from Hutchinson, Axel Ruschmeyer, was listed on the two-deeps for several games and actually played in several (I think I saw him on the field in the Outback Bowl, too). Maybe he's a contributor in 2020 as a guard?

Also, on the OL, the true freshman from St. Croix Falls, Tyler Cooper, was getting some praise from coaches in fall camp. He's big and supposedly pretty tough. Maybe he starts to show in 2020?

Except under your theory, in which the backups are always going to be worse than the starters, every year should see a regression in talent and performance, like some sort of weird football entropy.
Stow the fake charecterization of my views. I clearly, very clearly, stated that replacing seven starters on D will very likely have a short term (September) negative effect on the D. Even an eighth grader should be able to understand that distinction.

On the OL, the walk-on from Hutchinson, Axel Ruschmeyer, was listed on the two-deeps for several games and actually played in several (I think I saw him on the field in the Outback Bowl, too). Maybe he's a contributor in 2020 as a guard?
Did I see Guedet in there? Is there any where to get snap counts for the OL in the Bowl?

Jamal Teague has been very solid for us as well. If DeAngelo Carter takes snaps away from him (it's certainly possible), then we are at a very good place along our DL.

As odd as it sounds, I agree with you about our DE. Mafe has a higher ceiling than even he understands. The guy is big and he can fly. It genuinely wouldn't surprise me to see him take a HUGE step up next year.

Ahanotou will be interesting as well.

I think he's kind of a tweener. My guess is he gets some snaps behind Schad & Teague at the 2 technique DT spot, but gets more snaps at DE where we appear to be thin behind Mafe & Otomewu.

Also, on the OL, the true freshman from St. Croix Falls, Tyler Cooper, was getting some praise from coaches in fall camp. He's big and supposedly pretty tough. Maybe he starts to show in 2020?

Yes Cooper got good reviews from the coaches in practice & camp. He's a guy I'd expect to be in the mix providing depth to the guard positions this Fall.

My depth chart:
Tanner - QB
Mo - RB
Bate - WR
CAB - WR
Geary is my darkhorse to crack the lineup or (*mystery transfer from Nebraska) - WR
Paulson BSF - TE
6 headed monster at OL

Osezi - DE
Schad - DT
Dew - DT
Boye - DE
Oliver - LB
Sori Marin - LB
Rush - LB
Coney - CB
St Juste - CB
Howden - S
Sapp - S
Nubin - S

No Terrell Smith or Kiondre Thomas?

Although it seems like we are making huge strides in redshirts vs previous years so is every other program. what changed is the 4 game redshirt rule.

so although it seems great that we have 3 & 4 year guys stepping in on defense.....everyone else is likely in an identical situation.

Stow the fake charecterization of my views. I clearly, very clearly, stated that replacing seven starters on D will very likely have a short term (September) negative effect on the D. Even an eighth grader should be able to understand that distinction.
You 've repeated over and over if younger guys were better, they'd already be starting. Since they weren't, there will be dropped off next season.

Nothing about short term bumps

also, can i get a little more info on the o-line? wasn't there a guy around here that broke down the o-line play pretty well early in the season? is he still around?
All starters return.
schleuter played exclusively LT and graded well
Andries played LG and RT
Connor Olson player C and LG
Dunlap played exclusively RG
Faalele played exclusively RT
Schmitz played C.
All return. Definitely played better and better every week and great in the bowl game. Subbed Schmitz in and subbed a guy out for a break all year and played 6 OL several times until Faalele got hurt. Broken leg, doesn’t seem like a long term concern.

You think they are replacing this years starters? I have no idea what happened to ttime. Kiondre got reps all season.

We started 3 CB (Williamson, Durr, St. Juste).

I think T. Smith steps in for Williamson (moving Durr to the nickel).

We started 3 CB (Williamson, Durr, St. Juste).

I think T. Smith steps in for Williamson (moving Durr to the nickel).
Ah, got ya. I have no clue. I threw Sapp in there because once the light goes on, I think he’s going to be a star. I’m running out of time on that prediction. In practices he just looks different. Powerful and agile and can hit. Concern with him has been health, but I think he’s been fine. Maybe his knees are stiii giving him trouble or maybe he’s not fitting culturally.
t time played hardly any snaps. After starting all year. Odd.

You 've repeated over and over if younger guys were better, they'd already be starting. Since they weren't, there will be dropped off next season.

Can't players get better throughout their career? If we have a senior that rates as an 8 on a 10 point scale and a sophomore that's a 7 behind him, couldn't said sophomore be an 8 (or maybe even a 9 or 10) when they're asked to step into a position as a starter? Or maybe I'm not understanding what's being argued here.

Ah, got ya. I have no clue. I threw Sapp in there because once the light goes on, I think he’s going to be a star. I’m running out of time on that prediction. In practices he just looks different. Powerful and agile and can hit. Concern with him has been health, but I think he’s been fine. Maybe his knees are stiii giving him trouble or maybe he’s not fitting culturally.
t time played hardly any snaps. After starting all year. Odd.
Yeah, Sapp is interesting to me too. He does really flash as an athlete. He feels like someone that, when the light turns on, could be really special.

Did I see Guedet in there? Is there any where to get snap counts for the OL in the Bowl?

I think Guedet played in the Bowl. He would be a tackle, I believe. 6’ 7” and 310 as a freshman. You will see him on the field in 2020.

Last edited:

Yes Cooper got good reviews from the coaches in practice & camp. He's a guy I'd expect to be in the mix providing depth to the guard positions this Fall.

I honestly think we start to see an 8 man rotation at OL in 2020, because we have the horses and we lose a Schlueter and Olson, and possibly Big Dan, after 2020. Want some experienced “next guys up” in 2021.

On Gophersports.com, if you go to the box score for a particular game there is a participation tab. No clue if this is 100% official and doesn't give you a number of snaps for each player but does tell you who played in the game.

Guedet is not listed as having played against Auburn. But one name that I did see listed that caught my eye was Jason Williamson. Looks like the knee heeled up enough for him to get out there on special teams at least in the bowl game.

Personally, I find much of the above to be wishful, unproven, thinking at this point, but we will just have to wait until late September to know how many of the above named "studs" live up to the hype and which will be on the transfer table in December. By November I hope and expect the young guys to be veterans, but how much pain will we have to endure until then? I certainly agree that a very good O can solve a lot of defensive problems. Go Gophers!

Unless someone gets beat out by a less experience player then every single starter next year will have plenty of experience except Nubin if Winfield leaves. St Juste, Oliver and Sori Marin all played key roles this year with very little experience coming into the year.

On Gophersports.com, if you go to the box score for a particular game there is a participation tab. No clue if this is 100% official and doesn't give you a number of snaps for each player but does tell you who played in the game.

Guedet is not listed as having played against Auburn. But one name that I did see listed that caught my eye was Jason Williamson. Looks like the knee heeled up enough for him to get out there on special teams at least in the bowl game.

I am pretty sure I saw him without pads in street clothes standing on the sidelines.

just went and found the pregame blog from the Strib and has him listed as out:

Last edited:

Unless someone gets beat out by a less experience player then every single starter next year will have plenty of experience except Nubin if Winfield leaves. St Juste, Oliver and Sori Marin all played key roles this year with very little experience coming into the year.
Yes, and each has gotten better as the year has progressed, my point exactly. Sori Marin made all sorts of serious errors earlier in the season. Remember the Iowa TE running past him as he stood still for a TD, as an example. I am not saying we can not replace the starters lost, ONLY that the replacements will need time to get up to full speed and that period may cost us some wins early in the year. Basic college football stuff.

"Early next season" is what I have tried, without success, to get through to you and others.:rolleyes:

Yes, and each has gotten better as the year has progressed, my point exactly. Sori Marin made all sorts of serious errors earlier in the season. Remember the Iowa TE running past him as he stood still for a TD, as an example. I am not saying we can not replace the starters lost, ONLY that the replacements will need time to get up to full speed and that period may cost us some wins early in the year. Basic college football stuff.

You missed my point. We aren’t going to be starting a bunch of guys like Sori Marin that had no experience. You don’t need to be a starter to aquite a lot of experience. Like I said the only guy that I project to start at this point that has little experience is Nubin, and that’s if Winfield does indeed leave. So I don’t see tons of inexperience like you do.

Top Bottom