2020 Depth Chart predictions

yeah it’s going to take a lot of practice reps and game time before the defense gels together.

yes and no

Otomewo, MDT, Teague, Schad and Mafe all played significant minutes along the D-line and all will be upper classmen next year who have been in the program for multiple seasons. During the Auburn game I heard Otomewo and Mafe mentioned many times. There are some highly touted unkowns coming up behind them as well.

At LB, Oliver and MSM have played a ton.

In the secondary, Durr, St. Juste, Thomas, and Smith have all played a lot.

So yes, we have to replace a lot of players on defense but we do have a lot of returning experience as well on that side of the ball. It isn't like we are turning to guys that have never seen the field and will be getting their first taste of college football next year.

The only loss that really concerns me is Winfield (assuming he elects to go pro). The rest were all solid players but not superstars so the bar is not crazy high for a new player to come in and equal their play and hopefully improve on it.

We are losing seven starters on D and they played the most minutes precisely because they were the best, most ready guys we had. The backups were backups for exactly the same reasons: less ready, less able. So, IMHO, we will have several games, at least, where the D will be short of where we were this year. I hope I am wrong, but my experience is that you do not replace seven starters without taking a step backwards unless you have a mighty stable of high school All Americans waiting on the bench like Ohio State has.

I don't totally agree on this. If - at LB for example - Gordon and Willis were on the same level as Mariano and Oliver, I'm sure Fleck would save their redshirts if possible since they would have been the #2s anyway. But with another spring ball, offseason and fall camp, I don't think it's crazy to think that some of the redshirt freshman could be better than the guys who were second in the rotation this year. Same goes for the DL with Cheney, Carter, Harris and Anderson.

Would think redshirt freshmen Gordon, Willis and true frosh Itayvion (Tank) Brown will push for time at linebacker. True frosh Burns and Lindenberg play early?

They seem to really like Schad at interior d-line ...big year from him would help. Fleck likes redshirted frosh Carter on d-line interior as well.

Mafe could be very good defensive end. Recruited hard at DE with Joyner, Logan-Redding, Kreuder, Striggow.

Need T Smith to step up to Fleck hype. Need Nubin to step up to Fleck hype. If Phil Howard is back, he could earn some more time. Glaze could help at corner as true frosh. Dubar could help at safety as true frosh.

I don't totally agree on this. If - at LB for example - Gordon and Willis were on the same level as Mariano and Oliver, I'm sure Fleck would save their redshirts if possible since they would have been the #2s anyway. But with another spring ball, offseason and fall camp, I don't think it's crazy to think that some of the redshirt freshman could be better than the guys who were second in the rotation this year. Same goes for the DL with Cheney, Carter, Harris and Anderson.

Agree. Fleck has said he's playing the long game and will play Freshman only when it makes sense. I get the argument that if they're better they would play, but a solid case can be made to forgo a limited role in year 1 for 4 years of a major role, especially at DL where another year of strength/maturity is huge. We have a lot of really intriguing young DL I'm excited to watch play. I'm really intrigued by Anderson, especially if he stays at DE with his size. I've watched Big Ten tackles largely throw around our ends like rag dolls for three decades.

Walk-on olineman Axel Ruschmeyer (Hutchinson and Holy Family) got some time in Bowl game and some of the blow-out wins as a blocker...could be a guy to watch on depth chart.

Fleck is done with the save the redshirt, long play, building for future...says we are now blue blood, has said 2020 will be the year...blue bloods trying to win championships don't save redshirts

The more I think about this, the more excited I am about the future and to see who steps up at LB and DL. We have a mix of guys with game experience and guys who redshirted and had REALLY good offers

LB - Sori-Marin, Oliver, Rush, Aune, Guthrie, Gordon, Willis and (if he is as good as his ratings) Brown
DL - Dew-Treadway, Schad, Teague, Otemowo, Mafe, Ahanatou, Carter, Cheney, Anderson, Harris

We are finally getting that quality depth we've always dreamed of.

Last edited:

Fleck is done with the save the redshirt, long play, building for future...says we are now blue blood, has said 2020 will be the year...blue bloods trying to win championships don't save redshirts

Hardly any true freshmen saw more than 4 games this year - Nubin and Lantz? - but that's not because Fleck changed his philosophy. It's because we have better players and it's becoming harder to come in and play significant minutes as a true frosh. Players like Bateman and Nubin did it, but they are studs. Maybe we will see Ky Thomas or Brown do it this year, but until we start landing some high 4-stars or even 5-stars, I don't think we will see a lot of true freshman starting.

Hardly any true freshmen saw more than 4 games this year - Nubin and Lantz? - but that's not because Fleck changed his philosophy. It's because we have better players and it's becoming harder to come in and play significant minutes as a true frosh. Players like Bateman and Nubin did it, but they are studs. Maybe we will see Ky Thomas or Brown do it this year, but until we start landing some high 4-stars or even 5-stars, I don't think we will see a lot of true freshman starting.

Fleck has built enough depth that we will be RSing our FR unless they are just too good to keep off the field. That's a huge positive trend for a program.

I've seen Gopher fans wonder how and why Iowa/Wisconsin always seem to have a capable "next person up", this is the reason.

Walk-on olineman Axel Ruschmeyer (Hutchinson and Holy Family) got some time in Bowl game and some of the blow-out wins as a blocker...could be a guy to watch on depth chart.
Where do you see this? And is it possible those were on a special team? Like blocking for FG/PAT?

Where do you see this? And is it possible those were on a special team? Like blocking for FG/PAT?

I remember seeing him on the field for the Outback Bowl and I believe it was during a normal offensive series, but I can't be 100%. Definitely did notice his name on the jersey on the field though and it caught my attention.

Fleck has built enough depth that we will be RSing our FR unless they are just too good to keep off the field. That's a huge positive trend for a program.

I've seen Gopher fans wonder how and why Iowa/Wisconsin always seem to have a capable "next person up", this is the reason.

Agree. There are too many football fans that still view recruiting like it is basketball. In basketball you are looking for that kid that can come in and play right away. In football, even the most highly touted freshmen aren't ready to contribute right off the bat most of the time. They need time to get physically stronger and make the adjustment to the college game.

Just because a true freshman or redshirt freshman (or even sophomore) isn't ready to be a full-time starter it doesn't mean they never will be. Especially along the lines, it takes guys multiple years to really be physically ready to compete. Our D-Line has a chance to make a big step up next year as both Otomewo and Mafe enter their 4th years in the program as redshirt Juniors. Teague will be a Junior as well. Schad and MDT are both seniors so all should be physically ready to take on Big Ten offensive lines loaded with Juniors and Seniors.

So you look at that number of 7 people keep tossing out for replacements and I see 5 along the D-Line who should be able to fill in just fine for DeLattiboudere, Coughlin, and Renner.

Martin missed a ton of time at LB meaning MSM got a lot of time as a starter and should anchor the LB corps. Barber was always a solid player but he was never a dominant player, guys like Oliver, Aune, and Rush have all seen time and should be capable of producing at a similar level. Then there is the unknown of Willis and Gordon who the coaches have raved about. If one or both is ready to take on a big role next year the LB unit could take a step forward. So that addresses 5 of the departing seniors with guys that should be able to play at a similar if not better level next year.

Williamson did a great job for us. Never a superstar but a very solid player. Someone has to step into that nickel role but there are some obvious candidates on the roster who have played quite a bit in Thomas and Smith. So that takes care of 6 which again should be replaceable without a massive drop off based on the returning experienced players on the roster already.

So finally you get to the big one with Winfield. If he goes pro we have the guy who is supposed to be his replacement ready to go in Nubin but of course we have no way of knowing at this point if he will be able to play at a level similar to Winfield as those are some huge shoes to fill. The chance is still there that Winfield comes back again, if he does I see little to no reason why the defense won't be as good or better next year as the hope is that the talent will improve on that side of the ball the way it has on offense under Fleck.

The best news of all for the defense is that we have a loaded offense coming back that should be able to score a lot of points. That means we don't need the defense to be dominant we just need it not to suck. I feel very confident that we can pull that off with what we have coming back and then we just wait and see if that unit can take a step forward. In order to be a championship level team we are going to need more from the D then what we have gotten to this point. The players we are losing were all very solid guys, many with local connections, but they were not superstars and if your program is doing what it is supposed to be doing from a recruiting/developing standpoint then replacing those departing players should not be difficult.

The big question mark on D is the second unit as those players have not had their chance to shine yet. They will get it next year and we will get our first real look at the young guys that Fleck and his staff have been developing the past few seasons.

I agree blue bloods don’t save redshirts but for a different reason. Their recruits are 4 and 5 Star guys. They’ll only be there 3 years anyway. Bateman may be our best comparable example of this.

Hopefully, we have some we can’t keep off the field coming in. Clemson, I think, had 10 true freshmen with playing time throughout the year. Alabama usually plays a bunch of freshmen. Different level. We are getting closer, I think.

Personally, I find much of the above to be wishful, unproven, thinking at this point, but we will just have to wait until late September to know how many of the above named "studs" live up to the hype and which will be on the transfer table in December. By November I hope and expect the young guys to be veterans, but how much pain will we have to endure until then? I certainly agree that a very good O can solve a lot of defensive problems. Go Gophers!

We have four solid guys for the interior with Andries, Olson, JMS, and Dunlap.

Would like to see Guedet and/or Dickson step up and be able to rotate in, fill in as needed on the outside. We'll need them at some point next season! Plus occasionally as a 6OL "TE".

I wouldn't be shocked to see Tyler Cooper get some snaps inside either. Sounds like the coaches really like him.

It's losing battle with Veritas.

Agreed

Fleck calls this a developmental program. Gophers are not magically a blue blood after one great year and aren't recruiting with the Clemson's of the world at this point.

RS and develop unless someone is mind boggling good.

Personally, I find much of the above to be wishful, unproven, thinking at this point, but we will just have to wait until late September to know how many of the above named "studs" live up to the hype and which will be on the transfer table in December. By November I hope and expect the young guys to be veterans, but how much pain will we have to endure until then? I certainly agree that a very good O can solve a lot of defensive problems. Go Gophers!

College football is all about turnover and preparing young guys to take over.

Every year we assume WI/Ia will drop off becasue they graduate 7-8 key guys, and every year, there they are.

He never said we are now a blue blood. This is how false rumors/perceptions are created.

Would think redshirt freshmen Gordon, Willis and true frosh Itayvion (Tank) Brown will push for time at linebacker. True frosh Burns and Lindenberg play early?

They seem to really like Schad at interior d-line ...big year from him would help. Fleck likes redshirted frosh Carter on d-line interior as well.

Mafe could be very good defensive end. Recruited hard at DE with Joyner, Logan-Redding, Kreuder, Striggow.

Need T Smith to step up to Fleck hype. Need Nubin to step up to Fleck hype. If Phil Howard is back, he could earn some more time. Glaze could help at corner as true frosh. Dubar could help at safety as true frosh.
Is there anyone who couldn’t help as a true frosh???

I think this is a good setup. I know there was a couple of red shirts as well that they said looked good all season and will be in the mix. No one was named but that was the report...I think it was the GI guy I heard in a podcast? Somewhere it was reported. I liked Rush's size and speed when he played the prior year but he didn't get much run this year. I think Carter and Cheney will see a lot of time and I also think Ahanotou will be in the mix somewhere.

Good post & echoing your comments: At DT I imagine Angelo Carter will likely gets snaps behind Micah Dew-Treadway, with Schad & Cheaney likely splitting time at the other DT spot, and Ahanotou somewhere in the mix at either DT or DE.

I think we might be better at DE next year, as crazy as that sounds. Time to let Mafe & Otomewu eat!

At LB we lose a lot of experience but Oliver & Sori-Marin have game time under their belts, Rush is a great athlete & I'm excited to see what James Gordon & Donald Willis bring to the table? Word out of practice was very positive about those two.

It sucks we lose Winfield, but Tyler Nubin will be a very good player & Benny Sapp should be ready for prime time as well. Who replaces Williamson in the slot/hybrid spot?

Good post & echoing your comments: At DT I imagine Angelo Carter will likely gets snaps behind Micah Dew-Treadway, with Schad & Cheaney likely splitting time at the other DT spot, and Ahanotou somewhere in the mix at either DT or DE.

I think we might be better at DE next year, as crazy as that sounds. Time to let Mafe & Otomewu eat!

At LB we lose a lot of experience but Oliver & Sori-Marin have game time under their belts, Rush is a great athlete & I'm excited to see what James Gordon & Donald Willis bring to the table? Word out of practice was very positive about those two.

It sucks we lose Winfield, but Tyler Nubin will be a very good player & Benny Sapp should be ready for prime time as well. Who replaces Williamson in the slot/hybrid spot?

I would expect T Smith and/or Kiondre Thonas to be the first candidates to replace Williamson

he was for sure in a "fullback" role on the 4th and 1 sneak with Morgan under center...he played in mop up time vs NE, ILL, RU
He never said we are now a blue blood. This is how false rumors/perceptions are created.

“We challenged everyone of our players, you want to be a blue blood you’ve got to beat the blue bloods,” Fleck said Wednesday after No. 16 Minnesota beat No. 9 Auburn 31-24 in a game that wasn’t as close as the final score.

“We used to be a blue blood back in the 30′s, 40′s, 50′s and 60′s,” Fleck added. “We’ve talked about the word of the year is restore. We want to restore that tradition.”

Coach PJ Fleck: “I tell our team to be a blue-blood program you have to beat the blue-blood programs. We were able to do that today.”

We are losing seven starters on D and they played the most minutes precisely because they were the best, most ready guys we had. The backups were backups for exactly the same reasons: less ready, less able. So, IMHO, we will have several games, at least, where the D will be short of where we were this year. I hope I am wrong, but my experience is that you do not replace seven starters without taking a step backwards unless you have a mighty stable of high school All Americans waiting on the bench like Ohio State has.
Except under your theory, in which the backups are always going to be worse than the starters, every year should see a regression in talent and performance, like some sort of weird football entropy.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that the R-Fr could be better than the guys who were 2nd stringers, in fact I agree 100%. That said, imo the reason guys like Gordon, Willis & Nubin burned their red-shirts this year is precisely because they're being counted on to play next year, so getting some game experience was important this year.

Except under your theory, in which the backups are always going to be worse than the starters, every year should see a regression in talent and performance, like some sort of weird football entropy.
Row the boat ... and completely seal it to prevent any heat loss!

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that the R-Fr could be better than the guys who were 2nd stringers, in fact I agree 100%. That said, imo the reason guys like Gordon, Willis & Nubin burned their red-shirts this year is precisely because they're being counted on to play next year, so getting some game experience was important this year.

Just to clarify, only Nubin burned his redshirt. Gordon and Willis played only 4 games, keeping theirs. But your point about game experience still stands - just like for Dunlap on the OL the previous year.

I think most of the starters for next year are pretty obvious. The interesting questions will be:

1. Mo will be the featured back, but who else is in the rotation? Potts, Wiley, Williamson, Thomas? We have a lot of options and I'd expect Mo to see 20 carries/game, but how do we rotate in the other guys.
2. Who are the #3/#4 WRs? DD has been okay, but does someone else emerge as the #3 WR? What will Nnamdi and MBS look like after a season of redshirting. Do one of the true freshman (Emilien, Jackson or Mann) make the rotation? My money is on Jackson or Emilien to play next year.
3. The d-line starters should be Mafe, Otomewo, MDT and Schad/Teague. The back-ups will also play a ton, who emerges from the players that redshirted this year? Most of the talk has been about DeAngelo Carter.
4. I think Oliver and MSM are the LBs, but how much do we see of Gordon and Willis?
5. Nubin is primed to take over for Winfield assuming he declares for the draft.
6. Finding a slot CB to replace Williamson is maybe the biggest question mark for the starters.
Guys like Robinson, Hickson and Guthrie should be the next to stepup on defense as Juniors, but they've played very little.

Top Bottom