2020 Depth Chart predictions

tyecko

Reaction score
Happy Gophers next day hangover celebration everyone!

Just curious from people more plugged in than me, what would you depth chart predictions be at the moment for next season?

Mainly curious about the defense as I know we are losing quite a few starters on that side of the ball. I'll hang up and listen.

It will depend on if any of the underclassmen decide to leave early for the NFL(Winfield in particular, maybe Durr or St. Juste) or transfer to find a better fit for themselves.

It will depend on if any of the underclassmen decide to leave early for the NFL(Winfield in particular, maybe Durr or St. Juste) or transfer to find a better fit for themselves.

Curious as to why you think Durr or St. Juste would even consider a move? They are very well entrenched in lineup with tons of playing time.... edit--- I may have misinterpreted your post as though they would transfer...

Side question, I do not believe Durr returned to the lineup after being injured yesterday? Does anyone have any info?

SJ needs another year before he has a chance at the NFL, I think.

He is a good looking DB, good frame.

Curious as to why you think Durr or St. Juste would even consider a move? They are very well entrenched in lineup with tons of playing time.... edit--- I may have misinterpreted your post as though they would transfer...

Side question, I do not believe Durr returned to the lineup after being injured yesterday? Does anyone have any info?
I meant they could declare for the NFL draft. No way either would transfer as you said they both are starters.
Mpls.: St. J graduated from SCum why wouldn't he be eligible for the Draft?

Durr and St. Juste aren't going anywhere, the only underclassman we may lose to the NFL is Winfield.

To the OP

2020 offensive depth chart feels pretty much set as the vast majority of that unit comes back again. Defense has been discussed in other threads. Will be lots of new starters but the guess would be those new starters will come from the backups who saw significant playing time this season with new faces filling in as the new backups.

Will be interesting to watch the defense during the spring and fall camp to see if any of the players who have been in the program for a few years but have not yet seen the field much are ready to step up.

2020 will be the year we get to find out if the staff's recruiting of defense is keeping pace with offense. They had to play the offensive players sooner then would have been ideal due to the extreme lack of talent on that side of the ball. Haven't needed to do that on defense to this point but with the departure a of a lot of solid players due to graduation we will get our first real look at what this staff can do to upgrade talent on that side of the ball as well.

Kicking game is another big question mark. Obvious area that needs improvement. Hopefully we can find a kicker who can put the ball in the endzone because our kickoff coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

Sori-Marin started for KMart at LB.
We have stud Mo at RB.
Lots of WR talent.
Need another LB to step up for Barber.

Who else are we even losing?? Coughlin you could argue was more of a rush DE. And we lose our other starting DE Winston. We have some players who are hopefully ready to step up. Also losing Renner, but again have some players.

Herbers P. We have the Aussie coming in.

Williamson was a nice player at DB. Lot of DB talent though.

Durr played.

My depth chart:
Tanner
Mo
Bate
CAB
Geary is my darkhorse to crack the lineup or (*mystery transfer from Nebraska)
Paulson BSF
6 headed monster at OL

Osezi
Schad
Dew
Boye
Oliver
Sori Marin
Rush
Coney
St Juste
Howden
Sapp
Nubin

Did Nubin retain his redshirt? I couldn't remember how many games he played this year.

As others have indicated, offensive starters are pretty much set. Only wildcards I see on offense are:
  • Who's behind Mo at RB? We didn't see enough of the other backs this year to make a definitive statement about it. Bryce Williams got a lot of playing time last year but was hurt this year. I see Ky Thomas as having potential to get some carries as well.
  • Who's our #3 receiver behind Bateman and CAB? Lots of high-potential players on the roster, so more to come.
Defense we're obviously losing a lot more. The line is the biggest question mark for me. MSM did a decent job filling in for Kamal, and I think we'll find someone capable to replace Barber. On DL, I'm hopeful that Rashad Cheney Jr. can step up. Mafe, Schad, and Teague are decent too, but not gamebreakers.

On paper you'd think DD is the #3 receiver. He was still back there fielding kickoffs.

I think he only got one target on offense yesterday? It was a low pass that I don't think was really catachable, if I recall correctly.

AFAIK he did not, was used in 5 games at least according to CFB reference

gophersports.com bio says:

"
2019 FRESHMAN SEASON: Made collegiate debut against South Dakota State • saw action against Fresno State, Georgia Southern and Purdue • recorded first collegiate tackle and broke up one pass against Illinois • broke up one pass and made one tackle against Nebraska • notched one tackle against Rutgers • competed against Penn State and Iowa • tallied two tackles at Northwestern.
"

As others have indicated, offensive starters are pretty much set. Only wildcards I see on offense are:
  • Who's behind Mo at RB? We didn't see enough of the other backs this year to make a definitive statement about it. Bryce Williams got a lot of playing time last year but was hurt this year. I see Ky Thomas as having potential to get some carries as well.
  • Who's our #3 receiver behind Bateman and CAB? Lots of high-potential players on the roster, so more to come.
Defense we're obviously losing a lot more. The line is the biggest question mark for me. MSM did a decent job filling in for Kamal, and I think we'll find someone capable to replace Barber. On DL, I'm hopeful that Rashad Cheney Jr. can step up. Mafe, Schad, and Teague are decent too, but not gamebreakers.

I wouldn’t write Mafe off as only decent yet. Teague also could be capable of a Renner like breakout.

On paper you'd think DD is the #3 receiver. He was still back there fielding kickoffs.

I think he only got one target on offense yesterday? It was a low pass that I don't think was really catachable, if I recall correctly.
I'm curious to see NNAMDI ADIM-MADUMERE play. I haven't heard a lot about him since he arrived but he was a fairly high ranked prospect out of high school and has good size (6'4, 235)

Durr played.

My depth chart:
Tanner
Mo
Bate
CAB
Geary is my darkhorse to crack the lineup or (*mystery transfer from Nebraska)
Paulson BSF
6 headed monster at OL

Osezi
Schad
Dew
Boye
Oliver
Sori Marin
Rush
Coney
St Juste
Howden
Sapp
Nubin

I agree with this except I think T. Smith will see more PT than Sapp. I also think Gordon will see more action than Rush.

As far as some true freshmen or redshirt freshmen who could shake things up on the depth chart (and I didn't really see mentioned much above):

RB - Ky Thomas, Jason Williamson
WR - Daniel Jackson, Nnamdi, Mike Brown-Stephens
OL - JJ Guedet

LB - James Gordon, Donald Willis, Braelen Oliver, Josh Aune
DL - D'Angelo Carter, MJ Anderson, DVion Harris, Cheney, Ahnatou (Lots of unproven potential in this group)

I think most of the starters for next year are pretty obvious. The interesting questions will be:

1. Mo will be the featured back, but who else is in the rotation? Potts, Wiley, Williamson, Thomas? We have a lot of options and I'd expect Mo to see 20 carries/game, but how do we rotate in the other guys.
2. Who are the #3/#4 WRs? DD has been okay, but does someone else emerge as the #3 WR? What will Nnamdi and MBS look like after a season of redshirting. Do one of the true freshman (Emilien, Jackson or Mann) make the rotation? My money is on Jackson or Emilien to play next year.
3. The d-line starters should be Mafe, Otomewo, MDT and Schad/Teague. The back-ups will also play a ton, who emerges from the players that redshirted this year? Most of the talk has been about DeAngelo Carter.
4. I think Oliver and MSM are the LBs, but how much do we see of Gordon and Willis?
5. Nubin is primed to take over for Winfield assuming he declares for the draft.
6. Finding a slot CB to replace Williamson is maybe the biggest question mark for the starters.

I think most of the starters for next year are pretty obvious. The interesting questions will be:

1. Mo will be the featured back, but who else is in the rotation? Potts, Wiley, Williamson, Thomas? We have a lot of options and I'd expect Mo to see 20 carries/game, but how do we rotate in the other guys.
2. Who are the #3/#4 WRs? DD has been okay, but does someone else emerge as the #3 WR? What will Nnamdi and MBS look like after a season of redshirting. Do one of the true freshman (Emilien, Jackson or Mann) make the rotation? My money is on Jackson or Emilien to play next year.
3. The d-line starters should be Mafe, Otomewo, MDT and Schad/Teague. The back-ups will also play a ton, who emerges from the players that redshirted this year? Most of the talk has been about DeAngelo Carter.
4. I think Oliver and MSM are the LBs, but how much do we see of Gordon and Willis?
5. Nubin is primed to take over for Winfield assuming he declares for the draft.
6. Finding a slot CB to replace Williamson is maybe the biggest question mark for the starters.

Good stuff. I forgot about Emilien at WR. I think he will also have a chance to play early.

As far as the DL, I think we have a chance to have a really athletic 2-deep with some size and speed. It could kind of be like our OL this year - younger group growing on the fly with a ton of potential.

As far as CB, I would expect T Smith to be back in the rotation with St Juste and Durr.

Good stuff. I forgot about Emilien at WR. I think he will also have a chance to play early.

As far as the DL, I think we have a chance to have a really athletic 2-deep with some size and speed. It could kind of be like our OL this year - younger group growing on the fly with a ton of potential.

As far as CB, I would expect T Smith to be back in the rotation with St Juste and Durr.

I expect Durr to play in the nickel quite a bit next year w/T.Smith and St. Juste on the outside.

After 11-2 I have confidence in Fleck to sort all this out.

I expect Durr to play in the nickel quite a bit next year w/T.Smith and St. Juste on the outside.
Makes complete sense.
I hope we see some competition from the OL underclassmen for PT at least early in the year for experience but also as evidence that the OL coach is developing the next generation of maulers. Was disheartening to not have anyone apparently ready to give some of the OL a rest this year.

I'm curious to see NNAMDI ADIM-MADUMERE play. I haven't heard a lot about him since he arrived but he was a fairly high ranked prospect out of high school and has good size (6'4, 235)
temper those expectations. only based on practice and watching warm ups, he has a LONG way to go.

I always though Coughlin would be immensely difficult to replace. But if you look at defensive stats he had only 4.5 sacks. Bottom lime is that this was a very balanced defense in terms of production.

With that being said Coughlin was a leader, and his impact and effort go well beyond the stat sheet. I am confident he and PJ have established a culture of passing the torch.

temper those expectations. only based on practice and watching warm ups, he has a LONG way to go.

Curious to hear more about this. What appear to be his big gaps?

I think this is a good setup. I know there was a couple of red shirts as well that they said looked good all season and will be in the mix. No one was named but that was the report...I think it was the GI guy I heard in a podcast? Somewhere it was reported. I liked Rush's size and speed when he played the prior year but he didn't get much run this year. I think Carter and Cheney will see a lot of time and I also think Ahanotou will be in the mix somewhere.

We are losing seven starters on D and they played the most minutes precisely because they were the best, most ready guys we had. The backups were backups for exactly the same reasons: less ready, less able. So, IMHO, we will have several games, at least, where the D will be short of where we were this year. I hope I am wrong, but my experience is that you do not replace seven starters without taking a step backwards unless you have a mighty stable of high school All Americans waiting on the bench like Ohio State has.

Makes complete sense.
I hope we see some competition from the OL underclassmen for PT at least early in the year for experience but also as evidence that the OL coach is developing the next generation of maulers. Was disheartening to not have anyone apparently ready to give some of the OL a rest this year.
We have four solid guys for the interior with Andries, Olson, JMS, and Dunlap.

Would like to see Guedet and/or Dickson step up and be able to rotate in, fill in as needed on the outside. We'll need them at some point next season! Plus occasionally as a 6OL "TE".

We are losing seven starters on D and they played the most minutes precisely because they were the best, most ready guys we had. The backups were backups for exactly the same reasons: less ready, less able. So, IMHO, we will have several games, at least, where the D will be short of where we were this year. I hope I am wrong, but my experience is that you do not replace seven starters without taking a step backwards unless you have a mighty stable of high school All Americans waiting on the bench like Ohio State has.

yeah it’s going to take a lot of practice reps and game time before the defense gels together.

Top Bottom