2018 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/plan-a-for-jets-is-kirk-cousins-but-what-are-the-backup-plans/267545352

"There is rampant speculation around the league that Cousins is destined for Minnesota, where he'd replace journeyman Case Keenum on a team that just reached the NFC championship game. The Jets can compete with any team in the chase financially. But it will be hard for them to beat the Vikings - or even the Broncos - if Cousins is looking for a place where he can immediately win."

This is coming from a guy who covers the Jets for a living.

Good convo on KFAN between the Power Trip and Allen/Charchian on the phone. Charch made an excellent point that the Vikings haven't had a franchise quarterback since Tommy Kramer (although Culpepper probably should be considered one, even though his career was cut short). The approach/history of this franchise since the late 80's has largely been based on the idea that we can get by on journeymen, and the result has been a very long drought of no Super Bowl appearances. If you think that Cousins is a franchise-caliber QB, it's probably time to try that approach for a change, even though it might be expensive.

Naturally, you'd expect a team that's had such a tough history with prospective franchise QBs to be inclined to go the journeyman route. Culpepper had one MVP-caliber season but was otherwise uneven. Ponder was a bust. Teddy's story isn't completely written yet, but his injury is symbolic of the position's fragility.

If you think Cousins is better than Keenum, $7 million is not worth taking the downgrade.

I saw a statistical comparison the other day that was borderline alarming. The discussion was, take out someone's best year and worst year (regardless of your line of work) and the average of the rest is most likely who you are.

The comparison between Cousins and Keenum, the average of their body of work when eliminating the best and worst statistical year, was MASSIVE. I don't have the numbers in front of me but essentially it was;

Cousins: 4200 yards passing, 62% comp, 3:1 TD:INT ratio, 91 QB rating

Keenum: 2700 yards, 57% comp, less than 2:1 TD:INT ratio, and a QB rating around 60

2-4 weeks ago I was not on the Cousins train. I'm coming around. The window is always smaller than you think and this is the Vikings best chance in a while. I'm starting to hope they make the move.

Whether it's Cousins or someone else, the pressure on that QB will be TREMENDOUS; taking the helm of team that just went to the NFC Champ game and is getting Dalvin Cook back in the backfield? There will be arguably the most pressure any Vikings QB has played under in recent memory. I hope they can handle it!

Mike Zimmer still has questions about Case Keenum: 'Is it because he had a good team around him?'

As the Vikings go through the process of determining their next starting quarterback, coach Mike Zimmer wants to make sure their choice doesn’t come at the expense of the rest of the team.

In an interview with local media at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday morning, Zimmer underscored the importance of the well-rounded group that’s helped the Vikings win two division titles in the last three seasons. With quarterback prices continually on the rise — Washington’s Kirk Cousins, in whom the Vikings are believed to be interested, could command an average salary near $30 million — Zimmer said he doesn’t want the position to impair the Vikings’ ability to keep their core group together.

“I don’t want to talk about windows and things like that because I’m hoping it’s more than a window — I’m hoping it’s wide open spaces,” Zimmer said. “But I do think we have a good nucleus as a team. I think it’s really, really important that we understand — and I’m not just saying this — we’ve won 40 games in the last four years. We’ve done that by being pretty good on defense. This year obviously the offense was much better, but part of the reason we’ve been winning games and staying in games is because we’ve been playing good on defense and we’ve been a smart team and all those things.

“I want to be really careful about taking away from our strength and saying, ‘OK we’re not going to be able to do this and we’re not going to be able to do that anymore because of financial reasons or something else.’ ”

The Vikings have to make decisions on several homegrown players in the next year, when wide receiver Stefon Diggs, defensive end Danielle Hunter and linebackers Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr are all scheduled to hit free agency. It’s another factor complicating a quarterback choice already full of variables.

Zimmer said Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford are all “definitely” under consideration to return as the starting quarterback next season, but the coach said each passer comes with questions that must be answered.

With Keenum, who threw for 3,547 yards and 22 touchdowns while leading the Vikings to the NFC Championship Game last season, it’s whether he can repeat such a performance under new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo.

“We think he can. It’s just kind of guessing: Is he the guy when he was at Houston or the Rams or is he the guy who played for us? Is it because he had a good team around him?” Zimmer said. “Bradford, his record wasn’t great, is it because he didn’t have a good team around him? Did he play with a good defense? All those things enter into it. All those factor into it. At the end of the day it’s a guess and a hunch.”

Bradford, Zimmer said, is in good health; the quarterback is skiing with tight end Kyle Rudolph this week. But the long-term reliability of Bradford’s knee, after a non-contact injury limited him to six quarters in the regular season, is the “million-dollar question,” Zimmer said.

“His knee’s not great, obviously, right? It’s degenerative,” Zimmer said. “But it’s his history of being hurt. That’s the monkey wrench in the whole thing. Can you believe he’s going to play the 15 games he did two years ago, or he’s going to play the one game where he hit the turf this year? That’s the big dilemma.”

League sources told the Star Tribune earlier this week that Bridgewater’s contract will not toll into the 2018 league year, meaning the 25-year-old is headed for free agency after returning from the left knee injury he suffered in 2016.

Zimmer said Bridgewater “did some really good things in practice” after returning from the physically-unable-to-perform list in October, but he added it’s hard to use practice snaps as much of a gauge for how Bridgewater can play at this point.

“You can make mistakes in practice by just doing whatever you want to do and not having that affect you,” Zimmer said. “So it’s really hard to evaluate just in practice. We have to go back a lot with Teddy on what he’s done in the past, him as a person, his work ethic, all those things. Him not playing for two years and not being able to see him play in live situations, that’s concerning a little bit. But I love the guy. He’s a great kid, great competitor, a winner.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zim...ause-he-had-a-good-team-around-him/475550173/

Skol Vikes!!

I saw a statistical comparison the other day that was borderline alarming. The discussion was, take out someone's best year and worst year (regardless of your line of work) and the average of the rest is most likely who you are.

The comparison between Cousins and Keenum, the average of their body of work when eliminating the best and worst statistical year, was MASSIVE. I don't have the numbers in front of me but essentially it was;

Cousins: 4200 yards passing, 62% comp, 3:1 TD:INT ratio, 91 QB rating

Keenum: 2700 yards, 57% comp, less than 2:1 TD:INT ratio, and a QB rating around 60

2-4 weeks ago I was not on the Cousins train. I'm coming around. The window is always smaller than you think and this is the Vikings best chance in a while. I'm starting to hope they make the move.

Whether it's Cousins or someone else, the pressure on that QB will be TREMENDOUS; taking the helm of team that just went to the NFC Champ game and is getting Dalvin Cook back in the backfield? There will be arguably the most pressure any Vikings QB has played under in recent memory. I hope they can handle it!

That comparison is unfair to Keenum because he's only HAD one good season and it's the only one he wasn't on a god awful team. But that is exactly the issue. I would be wiling to give pretty strong odds that 2017 will be Keenum's best season no matter how much longer he plays. Cousins has had 3 very good years in a row in an offense arguably less talented than the Vikings.

Sid: Vikings should end the chatter and sign QB Case Keenum to long-term deal

As the Vikings offseason gets rolling, there is nothing fans and media love to speculate on more than the team’s quarterback situation.

I have been covering the Vikings since Day 1, and no quarterback has had more speculation about his performance than Case Keenum. From the day he became the Vikings’ starter and throughout an incredible regular season, coach Mike Zimmer would be asked every week who his starting quarterback was going to be.

Then the second the season ended, the question became whether or not Keenum was going to get a franchise tag.

And now people seem to think that just because it’s being reported that Keenum won’t be tagged, for some reason means he won’t be back with the Vikings. That’s just not true.

Rest assured that the Wilf family wants to keep on winning, and that means the Vikings ownership will help General Manager Rick Spielman get any quarterback he wants. And if you want my opinion, it’s Keenum — and not the Redskins’ Kirk Cousins, or any other quarterback.

Zimmer on Thursday put a big damper on all of the Cousins talk when he said that if he had his wish, he would just bring back all three quarterbacks from last season.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...n-qb-case-keenum-to-long-term-deal/475608603/

Skol Vikes!!

Sid: Vikings should end the chatter and sign QB Case Keenum to long-term deal

As the Vikings offseason gets rolling, there is nothing fans and media love to speculate on more than the team’s quarterback situation.

I have been covering the Vikings since Day 1, and no quarterback has had more speculation about his performance than Case Keenum. From the day he became the Vikings’ starter and throughout an incredible regular season, coach Mike Zimmer would be asked every week who his starting quarterback was going to be.

Then the second the season ended, the question became whether or not Keenum was going to get a franchise tag.

And now people seem to think that just because it’s being reported that Keenum won’t be tagged, for some reason means he won’t be back with the Vikings. That’s just not true.

Rest assured that the Wilf family wants to keep on winning, and that means the Vikings ownership will help General Manager Rick Spielman get any quarterback he wants. And if you want my opinion, it’s Keenum — and not the Redskins’ Kirk Cousins, or any other quarterback.

Zimmer on Thursday put a big damper on all of the Cousins talk when he said that if he had his wish, he would just bring back all three quarterbacks from last season.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...n-qb-case-keenum-to-long-term-deal/475608603/

Skol Vikes!!

Looking forward to a few weeks from now when Sid tells us what a great signing it was for the Vikings to land Kevin Cousins.

That comparison is unfair to Keenum because he's only HAD one good season and it's the only one he wasn't on a god awful team. But that is exactly the issue. I would be wiling to give pretty strong odds that 2017 will be Keenum's best season no matter how much longer he plays. Cousins has had 3 very good years in a row in an offense arguably less talented than the Vikings.

My two cents:

Cousins is known for choking in big games. He has a penchant for throwing interceptions when the teams needs it least. The team that knows him best wasn’t interested in committing long term. Why?

Teddy Bridgewater is getting compared to all the other QB’s. They are comparing a 23 year old second year QB who played with an inferior team that if not for a missed chip shot would have been in the NFC Championship game. If he is healthy why would they go in another direction? He will be cheap and young (25-26).

Bradford is the best of the QBs on the market. He just can’t stay healthy. I would sign him (on the cheap), a veteran backup, the best right tackle available and a Safety who can cover and tackle to pair with Smith.

At some point and time folks will realize Case can play he’s just short. If the price is right, why not Case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two cents:

Cousins is known for choking in big games. He has a penchant for throwing interceptions when the teams needs it least. The team that knows him best wasn’t interested in committing long term. Why?

Teddy Bridgewater is getting compared to all the other QB’s. They are comparing a 23 year old second year QB who played with an inferior team that if not for a missed chip shot would have been in the NFC Championship game. If he is healthy why would they go in another direction? He will be cheap and young (25-26).

Bradford is the best of the QBs on the market. He just can’t stay healthy. I would sign him (on the cheap), a veteran backup, the best right tackle available and a Safety who can cover and tackle to pair with Smith.

At some point and time folks will realize Case can play he’s just short. If the price is right, why not Case.

Because he can't shoot, obviously. :)

My two cents:

If you're talking about Teddy, that kick would have gotten them to the divisional round.

Not surprising, but...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Because he can't shoot, obviously. :)

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]Cousin’s just reminds me of a much better version of Ponder. He’s not better than Bradford, possibly as good as 2017 Case (not for the money though) and I will concede he’s better than 2015, 23 year old version Bridgewater (2016 preseason Bridgewater was looking pretty damn good.)

If you're talking about Teddy, that kick would have gotten them to the divisional round.

Oppps; don’t go pointing out my inadequacies![emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

It's critically important that the backup QB not be an afterthought. Whether Keenum's 2017 was an aberration or not, he was widely regarded as a quality backup. That signing saved the Vikings' season. It's very unwise to assume that any starter will make it through a sixteen game schedule. The necessary analytics and salary cap money needs to go into that slot.

Not surprising, but...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How many at the $30 mark is the question? Incentive laden contract to get him to the max? Cool. Guaranteed money? Hell to the no.

Rich is rich, I bet he will take the incentive contract from the team who will pay him the most with the Vikes being option 1 and Denver being option 2.

It's critically important that the backup QB not be an afterthought. Whether Keenum's 2017 was an aberration or not, he was widely regarded as a quality backup. That signing saved the Vikings' season. It's very unwise to assume that any starter will make it through a sixteen game schedule. The necessary analytics and salary cap money needs to go into that slot.

Agreed but it can’t just be because someone is the best of poor options. Cousins is not a max QB. He’s not better than Bradford and I don’t believe he is better than Keenum or possibly a healthy Bridgewater.

I think the Vikings are being shrewd by allowing their QB’s to hit the free agent market and showing interest in Cousins. Cousins will get offered a max deal by someone other than the Vikes or Denver, he will take that. For various reasons Bradford, Case or Bridgewater won’t and the Vikes will gladly resign one of them for slightly less with incentives for what ever that number was. The Vikes only real competition is Denver and the Vikes will gladly pay whatever Denver is ABLE to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the Vikings went 8-8 last year and were on the outside looking in at the playoffs, I could buy an argument for Bridgewater. They weren't.

With a team that could still make a serious run at the SB, they have to get the best guy available. Of course Cousins isn't an elite QB, likely not even top 10-12, but Cousins gives them the best chance to win NOW. Of course they would have to overpay for Cousins. That's the price you have to pay if you want to be relevant.

I'm not in love with Cousins by any stretch but I think it's their best move given the status of the roster and their window to win, like it or not.

What's our cap space look like? If we sign Cousins, is there much left to upgrade our OL more through free agency?

What's our cap space look like? If we sign Cousins, is there much left to upgrade our OL more through free agency?

IIRC it's around $50 million, so Cousins is not crippling this year. Would probably be an issue in future years. The rumor is that he doesn't want a long-term deal, something like 3/$90 million but all guaranteed. I think it'll come down to the Broncos and Vikings. The Jets can probably offer a bit more money but are much further from Super Bowl contention.

Rich Gannon was on the Sports Huddle on Sunday. he said he doesn't see much difference between Keenum and Cousins. take that for what it's worth. Gannon also said that Keenum was very popular in the locker room, and he questioned how the players would accept another QB change.

Rich Gannon was on the Sports Huddle on Sunday. he said he doesn't see much difference between Keenum and Cousins. take that for what it's worth. Gannon also said that Keenum was very popular in the locker room, and he questioned how the players would accept another QB change.

Largely ridiculous. Players want to win. That's the business they are in. If Cousins (or Keenum) wins, they will be extremely popular in the locker room. Bridgewater was/is popular in the locker room. Bradford is popular in the locker room. That's one of the most overblown comments in sports. Barring a Jeff George or Ryan Leaf personality, it's just hardly ever an issue.

I wish I could find the audio clip but I recall an interview one time with an offensive lineman from the Steelers around the time Big Ben was being raked over the coals for an alleged incident in Tahoe. The player was asked his opinion of Big Ben and he replied something to the effect of "Ben wins games, and that's the (bleep) business we're in". Enough said.

IIRC it's around $50 million, so Cousins is not crippling this year. Would probably be an issue in future years. The rumor is that he doesn't want a long-term deal, something like 3/$90 million but all guaranteed. I think it'll come down to the Broncos and Vikings. The Jets can probably offer a bit more money but are much further from Super Bowl contention.

I’d be okay with a shorter deal like that. Then maybe draft a guy like Lamar Jackson.

Why would Cousins want to go to another team where he has no help? I've got to think a strong supporting cast & winning will factor in heavily. He's going to be so wealthy he'll never be able to spend it all in this lifetime, so why not make a run at a SB before he's out of the league?

Why would Cousins want to go to another team where he has no help? I've got to think a strong supporting cast & winning will factor in heavily. He's going to be so wealthy he'll never be able to spend it all in this lifetime, so why not make a run at a SB before he's out of the league?

Great point; plus the Vikings could structure a 3 year deal giving him a larger chunk up front lessoning the cap hit in years 2 and 3. With that being said I don’t like Cousins.

Top Bottom