2018 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I would definitely make a run at Brees, although I doubt he leaves that cesspool called New Orleans.

Eli? I have mixed emotions. He could very well have a lot left in the tank but I heard a compelling argument recently that he’s actually been crappy for the last four plus seasons, OBJ just makes him look good enough at times to hide the warts; kind of like how Carter and Moss made Culpepper look like a HOF’er for a while.

If you can get Bradford to take high-end backup money, I would sign him and either Bridgewater or Keenum, Cousins, whatever.

Eli's never been a great regular season QB. But the Giants also generally have no running backs you've ever heard of and pedestrian WR's outside of OBJ. The Vikings would probably be the most talented offense he's played with in some time. I think we will be a 10-12 win team no matter who we choose. It's more about what we will do once the play-offs start.

I would definitely make a run at Brees, although I doubt he leaves that cesspool called New Orleans.

Eli? I have mixed emotions. He could very well have a lot left in the tank but I heard a compelling argument recently that he’s actually been crappy for the last four plus seasons, OBJ just makes him look good enough at times to hide the warts; kind of like how Carter and Moss made Culpepper look like a HOF’er for a while.

If you can get Bradford to take high-end backup money, I would sign him and either Bridgewater or Keenum, Cousins, whatever.

I’m a huge Daunte fan![emoji15][emoji3][emoji3] Steve Young had Rice and Owens; when he didn’t (Bucs) he wasn’t very good. Peyton Manning had Wr’s who were All Pros BEFORE he arrived his entire NFL career. Daunte getting his knee shredded is what led to his demise.

FYI, Daunte best season Nate Burleson led the team in WR yardage. I’m not comparing Daunte to Manning or Young merely making point.

Eli, can’t carry a team but the Vikings don’t need that. Of the QB’s being mentioned I think Bradford (assuming Brees can’t be had) is the only one can carry a team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like the hire. Though I've already seen comments that he'll be "one and done" because he'll get a HC job next year. Good problem to have I guess.

ESPN: Vikings make statement hire with respected offensive mind John DeFilippo

The steady hands of Mike Zimmer and Rick Spielman paid off Thursday.

Patient in their approach to find the Minnesota Vikings' next offensive coordinator, the two acted quickly when they finally had the chance to meet with Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. They made a swift hire just hours after Philadelphia’s Super Bowl parade and checked off the biggest item on Minnesota’s offseason to-do list.

The sign that the Vikings were willing to wait until after the Super Bowl to speak with one final candidate after conducting four other interviews more than a week ago speaks volumes to how strongly the franchise feels about DeFilippo and what he will bring to Minnesota.

Pat Shurmur left massive shoes to fill when he became the New York Giants' head coach two weeks ago. In finding his replacement, Minnesota made a splash hire with one of the most respected up-and-coming offensive minds in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-...-with-respected-offensive-mind-john-defilippo

Skol Vikes!!

This guy had me at: the back of the end zone is the least defended place on the field. It recalls the frustrations earlier in this thread about our red zone offense having been three consecutive fades to the tight end.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Vikings make an under-the-radar singing to bolster the offensive line;

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/12/vikings-sign-free-agent-guard-josh-andrews/

Going to go out on a limb and guess that DeFilippo knew of this guy on the Eagles practice squad and impressed him enough that he made making a move to acquire him was one of his first orders of business? Hopefully he's a rising star. Definitely playing time available on the interior of the Vikings O-Line.

SKOL!

That's great! Anything they can do to add quality depth inthe trenches (especially the OL) I'm all for.

CBS: The difficult decisions all 32 teams have ahead in the 2018 NFL offseason

Minnesota
They have to find a quarterback, and I personally wouldn't be shocked to see Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater back there. They have plenty of cap flexibility. With Anthony Barr and Stefon Diggs in the final year of their deals, there is extension work to be done there, and I continue to hear it will unfortunately be very difficult for Sharrif Floyd to play again due to a lingering knee problem.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...2-teams-have-ahead-in-the-2018-nfl-offseason/

Skol Vikes!!

Charley Walters: Vikings expected to consider QB AJ McCarron

It looks like a new quarterback is about to enter the mix Vikings’ quarterback mix. Should Minnesota be unable to re-sign free agent Case Keenum, it is expected to consider AJ McCarron.

McCarron, 27, on Thursday was ruled an unrestricted free agent after winning a grievance against the Cincinnati Bengals, for whom he was primarily a backup to Andy Dalton.

McCarron, the former Alabama star, will be considered, more seriously, by several other teams besides the Vikings, including Cleveland, Arizona, Denver and the New York Jets. His price tag is expected to be in the $10 million per year range.

If the Vikings were to sign McCarron, it would be for him to compete for the starting job, not as a backup.

Pssst: It’s looking more and more like there’s some sensitive legal stuff going on between the Vikings and defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd, who the team decided not to release even though he was eligible to be cut Monday.

Floyd, who hasn’t played since knee surgery nearly two seasons ago, and his $6.7 million contract this year are adversely affecting the Vikings’ salary cap, which currently is $49 million. Floyd’s people aren’t talking, and the Vikings plead ignorance.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/17/charley-walters-vikings-expected-to-consider-qb-aj-mccarron/

Skol Vikes!!

Sid: Vikings turning attention to combine, free agents

With the NFL scouting combine starting Thursday in Indianapolis, the Vikings are well underway preparing for the 2018 season, starting with free agency beginning March 14 and the draft starting on April 26.

General Manager Rick Spielman explained where the team is at. “We’re halfway through our draft process now, before we go to the combine,” he said. “We’ll continue that process and once we get back with the measurables and psych testing and smart testing — so right now we’re initially stacking our draft board. I think there will be some positions there that we’ll be able to get some good football players in here.”

While the focus right now is on the draft, Spielman said the team is preparing their free-agency game plan before they head to Indianapolis this week.

“After I get out of the draft meetings, we’ll start our unrestricted free agent meetings as we get ready to go to the combine,” Spielman said. “We will compare our guys that are going to be out on the open market compared to guys that are potentially UFAs and also trying to compare the strengths and weaknesses of the draft. Right now, we are right in the meat of everything trying to finalize a game plan.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-turning-attention-to-combine-free-agents/475059453/

Skol Vikes!!

Shooter: Charley Walters: Vikings have 10 days to make decision on Case Keenum’s future

In 10 days, Minnesota Vikings fans could get a little bit of a clue as to what their team is thinking regarding their quarterback choice for

The NFL deadline for teams to designate either franchise or transition tags on players is March 6. If by then the Vikings don’t put either tag on Case Keenum, and if he’s not re-signed by that point, that would strongly indicate the team is willing to gamble going into free agency.

At that point, the Vikings could easily lose Keenum to another team as a free agent, meaning they are thinking about quarterback alternatives.

Free agency in the NFL, which begins on March 14, is very different from free agency in major league baseball. In football, nearly all the big-name free agents seek their guaranteed money and sign right away. Most of those players get signed no later than the second day of free agency, which is March 15. The two-tier players get signed after March 15.

In baseball, as evidenced this offseason, signings can drag on indefinitely for big-name players.

Rich Gannon acknowledges that the Vikings have a tough decision to determine who will be their starting quarterback next season. But it’s clear the former NFL Most Valuable Player and current CBS-TV analyst was impressed with what Keenum achieved last season.

“Case Keenum, he came in and not only did the team not miss a beat, but the team played even better,” Gannon said last week. “He just grabbed control of the reins and didn’t look back. That says something about his personality and character and leadership and toughness.

“When I look at Keenum, I don’t think he ever thought of himself as a backup quarterback. Even his last year with the Rams, they drafted (No. 1 overall Jared) Goff and he didn’t care — he kept the kid off the field for a long time. It wasn’t by accident.

“I heard stories about (Keenum) in the offseason — the players just rally around him. He’s got some swagger to him. He’s got a lot of confidence, he goes out and competes and makes plays, and the players believe in him. And that’s a big part of playing that position.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/24/vikings-have-10-days-to-make-decision-on-case-keenums-future/

Skol Vikes!!

Report: Case Keenum set to hit free agency after Vikings elect not to use franchise tag

While the Vikings still have more than two weeks to work out a deal with quarterback Case Keenum before he becomes a free agent, they apparently don’t plan to use their simplest method to retain Keenum’s services for the 2018 season.

NFL Media reported on Monday that the Vikings don’t plan to use the franchise tag on Keenum, who would become a free agent on March 14 after leading the team to the NFC Championship Game. The Vikings have until March 6 to tag Keenum; if they placed the franchise tag on him, he would receive a one-year contract worth the average of the league’s five highest-paid QBs over the past five years.

The Vikings have only used the franchise tag twice in their history — on Chad Greenway in 2011 and on Jim Kleinsasser in 2003 — and placing the tag on Keenum would have likely meant paying him more than $24 million for the 2018 season. Kirk Cousins, who could be a Vikings target in free agency, made $23.943 million on the tag last year.

But while a more reasonable long-term deal might remain a viable (and more prudent) course of action, it’s fair to wonder about Keenum’s prospects to return if the Vikings have given his agents an indication they’re free to test the market at the NFL combine in Indianapolis this week.

http://www.startribune.com/report-c...ngs-elect-not-to-use-franchise-tag/475183653/

Skol Vikes!!

Rumors circulating that the Vikes would go with Bridgewater and some schmoe backup (Josh McCown has been mentioned) and let Keenum walk. That would be extremely risky. The last time we saw Bridgewater, he was performing at a much lower level than what we got from Case this past year.

Rumors circulating that the Vikes would go with Bridgewater and some schmoe backup (Josh McCown has been mentioned) and let Keenum walk. That would be extremely risky. The last time we saw Bridgewater, he was performing at a much lower level than what we got from Case this past year.

Where are you seeing this? Everything I'm reading today (from multiple sources) says there is strong mutual interest between Cousins and the Vikings.

Where are you seeing this? Everything I'm reading today (from multiple sources) says there is strong mutual interest between Cousins and the Vikings.

I like your source better.

Yes, these are now my favorite news outlets.

we need someone with good legs.

Is Kirk Cousins mobile?

The most overlooked skill for a Viking QB is the ability to scramble and make plays outside the pocket. Our o line just doesnt pass block well enough consistently for a pocket only passer.
This is why Teddy and Case had fine seasons and Bradford had issues.

I suspect that the desperate Jets will be inclined to outbid anyone and everyone.

Bradford had issues.

Huh? Bradford played 15 games in 2016 and set what was then the NFL record for completion percentage. He played one full game in 2017 and played one of the best games I've ever seen from an NFL QB. What "issues" are you referring to?

Huh? Bradford played 15 games in 2016 and set what was then the NFL record for completion percentage. He played one full game in 2017 and played one of the best games I've ever seen from an NFL QB. What "issues" are you referring to?

It is clear in the message you're selectively quoting what is wrong with him. Also, you just pointed put that Bradford nearly missed an entire regular season over the course of 2 seasons. He also didn't start in 2 playoff games.

That was a poor response, even from you. You might need to load up on Double Stuff Oreos, and take a break from Gopherhole for the day.

It is clear in the message you're selectively quoting what is wrong with him. Also, you just pointed put that Bradford nearly missed an entire regular season over the course of 2 seasons. He also didn't start in 2 playoff games.

Your reading comprehension is poor. In the context of his quote, when he said that Keenum and Bridgewater had fine seasons, the implication was that Bradford had a poor season. Bradford is injury-prone (everyone knows that) and was consistently very good-to-great whenever he played. The injury that ended his season in 2017 had nothing to do with the OL - further reason why implying that he had "issues" in the context of the OL makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh, and by the way - your lameass Oreo "jokes" are stupid, neither clever nor funny, and further are nonsensical. You know less than nothing about me, and I haven't had an Oreo in probably 20 years or more. In addition - go f*ck yourself.

Your reading comprehension is poor. In the context of his quote, when he said that Keenum and Bridgewater had fine seasons, the implication was that Bradford had a poor season. Bradford is injury-prone (everyone knows that) and was consistently very good-to-great whenever he played. The injury that ended his season in 2017 had nothing to do with the OL - further reason why implying that he had "issues" in the context of the OL makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh, and by the way - your lameass Oreo "jokes" are stupid, neither clever nor funny, and further are nonsensical. You know less than nothing about me, and I haven't had an Oreo in probably 20 years or more. In addition - go f*ck yourself.

I'm telling ya, if you haven't had the new birthday cake flavor, you owe yourself a trip to the grocery to pick up some.

Bradford played well in a dink and dunk offense with a clean pocket. When the pocket collapsed he had issues with his immobility. I for one want a qb who can scramble, if you don't that is fine.

If they can get Cousins at a reasonable salary, fine. But if the choice is Cousins at 30 mill vs Keenum at 23 mill, I take Keenum and use the extra 7 mill to sign/re-sign other players.

Unless the Vikes think Keenum is going to fall off a cliff without Shurmur as the OC. Or the new OC doesn't think Keenum is best-suited for his system.

Teddy is in a trap not of his own doing. To sign with someone, he has to demonstrate he can play. but to demonstrate he can play, he has to sign with someone. Being a Vikes fan, I suspect that Teddy will sign with someone else, and come back to have a nice career in another Jersey.

If they can get Cousins at a reasonable salary, fine. But if the choice is Cousins at 30 mill vs Keenum at 23 mill, I take Keenum and use the extra 7 mill to sign/re-sign other players.

Unless the Vikes think Keenum is going to fall off a cliff without Shurmur as the OC. Or the new OC doesn't think Keenum is best-suited for his system.

Teddy is in a trap not of his own doing. To sign with someone, he has to demonstrate he can play. but to demonstrate he can play, he has to sign with someone. Being a Vikes fan, I suspect that Teddy will sign with someone else, and come back to have a nice career in another Jersey.

If you think Cousins is better than Keenum, $7 million is not worth taking the downgrade.

Top Bottom