2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

Tough way to lose on a foul with two seconds left, but hey, it is what it is. Still, a very good game from the Gopher ladies.

Oh so close. Really hurts when you're that close but you can't sneak it out. Anyways, great effort from the Gophers. This is a legit top-4 B1G team, no doubt about it!

Big time clutch 3 from Wagner that tied it up. Wasn't so sure about the foul call that gave Maryland the 2 winning free throws seemed like the girl was mostly just stumbling and would have at least liked to see a replay of it. Despite the loss I think it was a pretty encouraging performance from the team tonight proved they can compete with a very good Maryland team.

Great game. I'm surprised the refs decided it. Oh well. This is a good team regardless. Games like this are less painful when they might knock you from a 4 to a 5 seed instead of out of the tournament.

Horrible call in the last seconds You let that call go. Great effort by the ladies. You hate to see officials decide the outcome of a game.

Two more years with AZB......holy crap.

Great game, great future.

the Officials did not decide the game. The Gophers made a lot of turnovers against full-court pressure - I think that is where they really missed Banham today - not as a scorer, but as a ball-handler and floor leader. Wagner also had some shaky moments shooting the ball - missed some makeable shots, and had a turnover late in the game when she should have shot, but tried a wraparound pass to ZB.

And give Maryland credit. One of their best players missed a lot of time with foul trouble, and they had other players come through with some clutch 3-point shooting. A few stats to consider: Maryland 7-21 on 3's; Gophers 4-13 on 3's. Maryland out-rebounded Gophers 42-32. Refs had nothing to do with that.

Great game played by both sides. Fantastic shot by Wagner to tie it near the end. Girls just didn't close this one out. Very impressive, even in the loss. Once again, turnovers and rebounds can tell the story. Change those two around and we win by 6 to 10 points.

the Officials did not decide the game. The Gophers made a lot of turnovers against full-court pressure - I think that is where they really missed Banham today - not as a scorer, but as a ball-handler and floor leader. Wagner also had some shaky moments shooting the ball - missed some makeable shots, and had a turnover late in the game when she should have shot, but tried a wraparound pass to ZB.

And give Maryland credit. One of their best players missed a lot of time with foul trouble, and they had other players come through with some clutch 3-point shooting. A few stats to consider: Maryland 7-21 on 3's; Gophers 4-13 on 3's. Maryland out-rebounded Gophers 42-32. Refs had nothing to do with that.

What was the score when the Maryland player drove the lane in the last 10 seconds? First of all, if there was any call, she traveled. In the men's game it is a no call and we go into overtme. The Maryland center was a hack. I saw at least 3 more fouls she committed. A DVR replay doesn't lie
Yes the Gophers didn't defend the 3 as well as they should have. They also gave up to many offensive boards and some costly turnovers Still, in the end it was a bull sh-t call that prevented the game from going into overtime. Period, end of story.

Great game played by both sides. Fantastic shot by Wagner to tie it near the end. Girls just didn't close this one out. Very impressive, even in the loss. Once again, turnovers and rebounds can tell the story. Change those two around and we win by 6 to 10 points.

We also had some Mo/Elliot-like misses from in close the last five minutes. I think Wagner had one and not sure if that's why she tried the pass to ZB when she could have laid it up. Encouraging they can play like this without Rachel. Would have liked to see a replay of the foul.

STrib: Former U coach Frese learns to mix life and basketball

“I was young, I was brash, I was confident,” she said of her early days as a head coach, when she moved from Ball State to the Gophers to Maryland in four years. “I didn’t have perspective or balance. I was on to the next game, the next practice, the next competition.”

Frese gave birth to Markus and Tyler in 2008. Two years later, Tyler was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and began three years of chemotherapy.

Today, Tyler is a healthy and happy boy approaching the five-year anniversary of his diagnosis, with hopes that he will be declared cancer-free in May. He and Markus often accompany their mother to practices and travel on the team charter, and their roles as little brothers to Maryland’s players have created a warm atmosphere around the program.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/288164211.html

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, I wanted to thank you for posting this. Really found it interesting.

This was a heartbreaking loss. It's a game that we could have won. But I couldn't be more proud of our coach and team. We took a very good Maryland team down to the wire. When we lost Rachel for the season, I thought our season was over, but that's not true. The future looks very bright.

We also had some Mo/Elliot-like misses from in close the last five minutes. I think Wagner had one and not sure if that's why she tried the pass to ZB when she could have laid it up. Encouraging they can play like this without Rachel. Would have liked to see a replay of the foul.

The foul would not have been called in the men's game. There was contact, but I didn't think it was worth calling in that situation. It's interesting to me how the refs don't let nearly as much contact take place in the women's game.

Patrick Reusse: Gophers women planting seeds for big crowds to return

"The Twin Cities sporting public was well-trained in the art of avoiding women’s basketball games at the University of Minnesota when Brenda Frese was hired as the coach.

The Gophers had gone through six consecutive losing seasons. Even the Sports Pavilion, the miniature arena behind the big wall at Williams Arena, looked cavernous when the women had a basketball game.

And then an amazing thing happened: The Gophers, with the new coach, and with sophomore star Lindsay Whalen, started winning. It was decided by boosters that this team needed more appreciation, and a mid-January game with Indiana was targeted for a “Pack the Pav” promotion.

“A water pipe blew up in the Pavilion and that’s when we moved over here,” Frese said."

........................................................................................................

"The last two came from Amanda Zahui B., the tall, strong sophomore from Sweden. AZB can get herself about as fired up on the court as you will see, and, oh my, was she pumped over that tying basket."

To read the full article:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/288215151.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Lord, you put Tiny behind my bench too?

Tcul2hqnlaQ5PcXpJ0wPnd0mifDAmbkI_rbg5fUfXUIAJU4U6V4KwIJv4i-EbV1layDMzg=s127

I took my 5-year old daughter to the game yesterday along with IAM4Goldy and his daughter. We all had a great time. Fantastic effort from the team, the crowd was rocking, etc.

I love the 30 second shot clock. It really helps the pace of the game.

Wagner is going to be a star.

Amanda Zahui B is an absolute stud. Her footwork and hands are incredible. I don't recall the back story to how Borton and the staff found her, but she's virtually unstoppable.

Go Gophers!!

I took my 5-year old daughter to the game yesterday along with IAM4Goldy and his daughter. We all had a great time. Fantastic effort from the team, the crowd was rocking, etc.

Amanda Zahui B is an absolute stud. Her footwork and hands are incredible. I don't recall the back story to how Borton and the staff found her, but she's virtually unstoppable.

Go Gophers!!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/239781931.html

I was pissed but not surprised that they wouldn't show a replay of the "foul" on TV. That tells me it didn't look any more like a foul in slo-mo than it did in real time. Bad, late call.

In any case, the Gophs need to be able to play better defense down the stretch against talented teams like Maryland.

I was pissed but not surprised that they wouldn't show a replay of the "foul" on TV. That tells me it didn't look any more like a foul in slo-mo than it did in real time. Bad, late call.

In any case, the Gophs need to be able to play better defense down the stretch against talented teams like Maryland.

I did see replays last night. To my completely objective eye where the Gophers are involved, it was a BS call. Maryland player was slipping before ZB even touched her. Could have been a travel IMO--simply a no-call play that the ref blew by anticipating.

Go Gophers!!

That's what was so great about the Whalen years. You'd go to a game and there would be all these young girls really into it. Be great if that was a regular occurrence again.

The men's game MUST get a 30 second shot clock.

Super fun game to watch yesterday.

Go Gophers!!

I was at the game too. Sorry I missed you. AZB is terrific.

I did see replays last night. To my completely objective eye where the Gophers are involved, it was a BS call. Maryland player was slipping before ZB even touched her. Could have been a travel IMO--simply a no-call play that the ref blew by anticipating.

Happened right in front of me (though I never saw a replay) and I thought it was a legit call.

MD was not going to lose that game. They are very good and equally confident. During one of the TO's in the last minute the players came back on the floor and, while they were waiting for the whistle to blow, one of their guards started dancing to the hip hop music being played in the arena. No worries.

I think we have a Sweet Sixteen team, even without Banham. Should be fun.

Happened right in front of me (though I never saw a replay) and I thought it was a legit call.

MD was not going to lose that game. They are very good and equally confident. During one of the TO's in the last minute the players came back on the floor and, while they were waiting for the whistle to blow, one of their guards started dancing to the hip hop music being played in the arena. No worries.

I think we have a Sweet Sixteen team, even without Banham. Should be fun.

Watched the replay " again " and that's not a call you make. She stumbled into AZB and the official didn't see it. The front court official had a better look at it and she should have overruled it.

Watched the replay " again " and that's not a call you make. She stumbled into AZB and the official didn't see it. The front court official had a better look at it and she should have overruled it.

Then they gave the call to the more prestigious team. I can't quite explain it but MD gave off the aura of knowing they were going to win the game (they were also the better team) and I think that the officials subconsciously bought it. It's like the Timberwolves are years away from getting any calls. Officials play favorites, even when they don't know it.

I'm waiting for AZB to set one of those backcourt concussion screens like McCarville used to do.

Then they gave the call to the more prestigious team. I can't quite explain it but MD gave off the aura of knowing they were going to win the game (they were also the better team) and I think that the officials subconsciously bought it. It's like the Timberwolves are years away from getting any calls. Officials play favorites, even when they don't know it.

I'm waiting for AZB to set one of those backcourt concussion screens like McCarville used to do.

You hit the nail on the head jammer. They expected to win.

Top Bottom