2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

Minnesota women overcome loss of best player to return to AP Top 25 for 1st time since 2006

"MINNEAPOLIS — When Marlene Stollings took over at struggling Minnesota this summer, she put two goals right on the table.

The quietly intense coach left VCU to get the Golden Gophers back into The Associated Press Top 25 and to restore the enthusiasm for the program in a market that has a history of supporting it when things are rolling.

Those goals figured to get a lot harder when preseason Big Ten player of the year Rachel Banham was lost for the season to a knee injury on Dec. 10."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/288079531.html

Minnesota women overcome loss of best player to return to AP Top 25 for 1st time since 2006

"MINNEAPOLIS — When Marlene Stollings took over at struggling Minnesota this summer, she put two goals right on the table.

The quietly intense coach left VCU to get the Golden Gophers back into The Associated Press Top 25 and to restore the enthusiasm for the program in a market that has a history of supporting it when things are rolling.

Those goals figured to get a lot harder when preseason Big Ten player of the year Rachel Banham was lost for the season to a knee injury on Dec. 10."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/288079531.html

Good to see the ladies get some print.

Very nice to see since none of the men's teams can be bothered with little things like winning games and such.

Should be a good crowd for Maryland tomorrow. As of four days ago there were only single tickets available in the lower sections facing the sidelines. I expecting Maryland to win but hopefully a good game will keep some people coming back.

In terms of how they are playing I'm glad to see they are starting to figure out how to play the matchup zone. There have been times when they really struggled when opposing teams got the ball to the short corner or the high post. I'm still not entirely sold on that system with our speed level but it has looked better.

I also want to give a shout out to Mullaney. As a non-descript Borton recruit I had pretty low expectations. Right from the get go two years ago she surprised me with better quickness and shooting touch than I expected. Now in the absence of Banham she has really stepped up. In addition she plays lot of minutes and hustles the whole time.

You can see Mullaney has been in the weight room. Last year she would get pushed off the ball at times. Not this year.

IF BANHAM COMES BACK, could next years team be better than what we were expecting this year???

The only other senior is Kelly.

IF BANHAM COMES BACK, could next years team be better than what we were expecting this year???

The only other senior is Kelly.

Well, that's the big question isn't it? Obviously I'd love to see her come back but of course I'd understand if she wanted to move on.

Washington Post: Maryland Coach Brenda Frese makes her return to Minnesota

“I had a meeting with Coach B, and I asked her if she was excited about going back to Minnesota,” Terrapins redshirt senior Laurin Mincy said. “She was really excited. She doesn’t know what to expect as far as the reaction when she gets there, but we’re going to play hard for her and try to come out with a win.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...95c848-9903-11e4-8005-1924ede3e54a_story.html

Go Gophers!!

Washington Post: Maryland Coach Brenda Frese makes her return to Minnesota

“I had a meeting with Coach B, and I asked her if she was excited about going back to Minnesota,” Terrapins redshirt senior Laurin Mincy said. “She was really excited. She doesn’t know what to expect as far as the reaction when she gets there, but we’re going to play hard for her and try to come out with a win.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...95c848-9903-11e4-8005-1924ede3e54a_story.html

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the post Bleed! Hopefully the ladies have a large and loud crowd for tomorrow. I'll be happy if we keep it to a single-digit game against Maryland. Should be a solid marker to see where this team's at.

STrib: Former U coach Frese learns to mix life and basketball

“I was young, I was brash, I was confident,” she said of her early days as a head coach, when she moved from Ball State to the Gophers to Maryland in four years. “I didn’t have perspective or balance. I was on to the next game, the next practice, the next competition.”

Frese gave birth to Markus and Tyler in 2008. Two years later, Tyler was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and began three years of chemotherapy.

Today, Tyler is a healthy and happy boy approaching the five-year anniversary of his diagnosis, with hopes that he will be declared cancer-free in May. He and Markus often accompany their mother to practices and travel on the team charter, and their roles as little brothers to Maryland’s players have created a warm atmosphere around the program.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/288164211.html

Go Gophers!!

Good game so far. Maryland killing us on the boards.

Maryland lights out from the 3 also......haven't seen the stats yet. Wagner doesn't seem to have the confidence in her 3 like last year(state tourney). She has a very low release point on the 3. She's definitely improving though. More confidence going to the basket. I really see her improving all year.

Entertaining game.

39-34 at halftime. Too many turnovers on our side, and everyone not named Zahui isn't rebounding well enough. But Stollings made a great switch, experiencing some success from benching Bailey and putting McDaniel and Tori Jacobs in her place. She just hasn't been getting it done this season. Zahui's having a monster game so far, btw.

They have to shut down Marylands top player. Bring the match up further out. Btw. I have no idea why Bailey is starting?

They have to shut down Marylands top player. Bring the match up further out. Btw. I have no idea why Bailey is starting?

Dee Brown's daughter is killing them. The problem with our zone is it leaves too many perimeter jump shots open. The Terps are a team that's going to take advantage of that.
*Agreed, Bailey hasn't earned her minutes at all this year. McDaniel and Jacobs have looked so much better in her place.

Bailey's playing time has baffled me all year. She plays very poorly every game, and still plays a lot of minutes.

Terps have 15 OR's to our 6....shooting % is fairly equal. FT Terps 80% Gophers 75....great game

Gophers shooting only 27% 3's Terps 31%....giving up too many easy outside shots

I got a good laugh at the UConn-SMU score. SMU hasn't scored in the 2nd half and has just 9 points with 8 minutes left in the game.

64-62 Marylans 5 mins left. We are sticking right with them but making LOTS of mistakes. Easily could be ahead by 6-8 points if we played a cleaner game.

Getting killed on the offensive boards......ladies and mens teams need to have intense box out practices

As good of a women's game I've seen in a long time.

Great crowd.

Gophers sure seem to allow the Terps to penetrate to the paint way too easily, for easy shots

Oh well, darn great game except for the offensive rebounding for the Gophers.

Top Bottom