2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

Yeah, some silver lining I guess. With that said, will the Gopher women be ranked next week?

They should be. They are either 13-1 and beat #12 this week.

The women showed they have bigger balls than the men over the last two days.

Hirt is not a very good defensive player in the matchup zone. On offense she needs her feet set for the spot up jumper.

Hirt is not a very good defensive player in the matchup zone. On offense she needs her feet set for the spot up jumper.

Haven't been able to see many games, but I have seen her play quite well at times. With the starters logging those big time minutes I was surprised she only had 7.

On another note, If Banham comes back, where does the scholarship come from? Common of the men's team to lose players, but I almost feel guilty bringing it up on the women's team.

Sure she could find room for Banham, she'd just need to drop interest in one of the many jucos/transfers she's recruiting.

I believe she has two signed recruits. Banham and Kelley are the only two seniors.

Game Preview: Minnesota at Wisconsin
The Gophers travel to Wisconsin Sunday for a Border Battle contest at 2 p.m

"Amanda Zahui B. has really stepped up her game in recent outings, as she is averaging 21.3 points, 15.0 rebounds, 5.3 blocks, 2.0 assists and 1.5 steals per game since Dec. 20 vs. Liberty. Zahui currently ranks second in the NCAA in double doubles, third in blocks per game, seventh in defensive rebounds per game, 13th in field goal percentage and 15th in rebounds per game. Shayne Mullaney has also stepped up to take on more of the Gophers’ scoring responsibilities, as she is averaging 11.8 points and 6.3 assists per game in her last four outings."

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/010315aaa.html

Gophers up 40-30 at the half in Madison. In spite of really bad rebounding. If they shore that up and close some holes in their zone defense, you're still arguably talking a top 4 B1G team without Banham.

Gophers beat the Badgers 72-60 in Wisconsin this afternoon. They move to 14-1 on the year and 3-0 in B1G play. Game was a lot closer than it could/should've been. The ladies are in excellent position now and should be ranked in a few days.

Gophers beat the Badgers 72-60 in Wisconsin this afternoon. They move to 14-1 on the year and 3-0 in B1G play. Game was a lot closer than it could/should've been. The ladies are in excellent position now and should be ranked in a few days.

First time I've been able to see a full game this season. Like the energy they play with. Usually not a big fan of the 2-3 zone, which seems to be a defensive staple coach Stollings is going with. But that's just a personal preference of mine. Even without Banham, the ladies have some players than can really score the basketball. If their defense and rebounding can stay relatively consistent, looks like they'll be tough to beat. Also, Carlie Wagner is going to be a player. She appears to do everything pretty darn well. At 14-1 and 3-0, I'd say the ladies are in good shape. :D

Should be a Top 25 team tomorrow. Glad at least one MN team is thriving.

Skunks not that good, but another road win. Plus, anytime you beat the Skunks it's a good day

I find it interesting the number of people on this site that poo-poo women's basketball. Gopher basketball to me is BOTH men's and women's. The women's game has evolved dramatically over the past 10 years. And I can tell you one thing for sure. In a free throw shooting contest the women would kick the men's ass. And btw, Rachel Banham can bench 200 lbs.

I find it interesting the number of people on this site that poo-poo women's basketball. Gopher basketball to me is BOTH men's and women's. The women's game has evolved dramatically over the past 10 years. And I can tell you one thing for sure. In a free throw shooting contest the women would kick the men's ass. And btw, Rachel Banham can bench 200 lbs.

If you remember, there was a time when posters would complain about women's BB even being discussed on this forum. Thankfully the name of the men's coach is no longer in the title of this forum.

BTW, don't use yesterday's game for the FT comparison. :rolleyes:

I find it interesting the number of people on this site that poo-poo women's basketball. Gopher basketball to me is BOTH men's and women's. The women's game has evolved dramatically over the past 10 years. And I can tell you one thing for sure.In a f ree throw shooting contest the women would kick the men's ass. And btw, Rachel Banham can bench 200 lbs.

Only if they keep Kelley out of it.

Thanks for beating our hated rivals. Way to go ladies.

Top Bottom