2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

Gopher Basketball Recruiting: Illinois Preps, Tory Miller & More
By JB Bauer

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/179247?referrer_id=388419

As mentioned yesterday (Alvin Ellis Looks Like a Good Fit For Minnesota), this weekend Minnesota plans to host two Chicago-area recruits who have had the interest of Tubby Smith and his staff for some time. Alex Foster and Alvin Ellis played together at De La Salle (IL) during the 2011-12 high school season and were teammates again during this spring and summer with the talented Meanstreets AAU program. The Gophers will also host Kansas City-area big man Tory Miller this weekend.

In addition to Foster and Ellis, the Gophers have been involved with a number of others in basketball-rich Illinois. In terms of knowledge and experience within the world of Illinois prep basketball, it's tough to compete with Roy & Harv Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bulls-eye. These gentlemen offer plenty of information at their website ilprepbullseye.com, but were also kind enough to discuss certain players in further detail with me this week.

Alex Foster
Physically, the 6'8" Foster looks the part of a 4 man, but from what Illinois Prep Bulls-eye and I have seen, he hasn't embraced the idea of being a low-post threat even though he has the ability to rebound and score around the basket.

Foster averaged 5.1 points and 3.6 rebounds in 13.6 minutes per game during the EYBL regular season, shooting an impressive 62.0% eFG (only 1 3FGA all season). As I often make known, free throws aren't usually a big concern for me, but he may need a change in method after continuing struggles (converted just 9 of 30 attempts for 30.0%).

Alex has long been considered a player with plenty of potential and even though he hasn't lived up to the early hype that surrounded him, Illnois Prep Bulls-eye believes he is one of those players who could end up being more productive in college than he has been in high school. They think Minnesota is recruiting Foster mainly as a 3 man as that is probably his best college position due to his ability to run the floor and finish in transition, as well as shoot from the perimeter.

In case you missed it: GopherHole contributor Chris Monter talked to Foster several weeks ago and covered a number of topics including Foster's participation in the Nike Skills U camp and his recent transfer to Seton Academy (IL).

Gavin Schilling
Schilling has lived and played all over the map, including international competition with Germany. Roy & Harv Schmidt commented that the 6'9" forward is outstanding on the break, a force on the boards and a terrific shot blocker, but to this point has relied mainly on his world-class athleticism. His offensive game is raw and improvement in this area will be the key to his overall progress.

Gavin is now at Findlay Prep in Nevada and although the school's former coach Mike Peck accepted the head coaching position for the NBDL's Idaho Stampede just last week, the program remains in good hands with assistant Todd Simon being promoted. Being at Findlay will provide a significant focus on skill development and also allow Schilling to play often against elite-level competition.

Under his circumstances, the fact that Schilling is considering waiting until the spring to decide on a school makes sense more than it might for others. Should Minnesota bring in a similar player between now and when Schilling makes his call, it might still make sense for the Gophers to stay in touch. This is a big year for the senior and he may very well raise his stock measurably over the next several months.

EYBL regular season statistics for Schilling (Mac Irvin Fire): 13.0 mpg, 4.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, team-high 37 offensive rebounds in just 247 minutes played, 54.1% FG% (no 3FGA).

In case you missed it: Chris Monter also spoke with Gavin Schilling in April.

Ben Moore
Moore is a long, lanky 6'8" forward from Bolingbrook ("hi" to my friends at the Tilted Kilt on Weber Road) who is receiving a lot of attention after a strong summer. Illinois Prep Bulls-eye had identified him as a diamond in the rough long ago and their projections are proving true. I last saw Moore in Las Vegas in late July with Team Rose where he put an exclamation point on a very good summer showing, but he is continuing to impress the many coaches coming to see him now in open gym play.

"He is a jumping-jack athlete with great instincts on the glass. He is a strong rebounder, has great hands and consistently finishes with authority. In addition, he is a superb interior defender." -- Illinois Prep Bulls-eye

Moore is off to SMU this weekend after rescheduling a visit initially planned for October and now has the attention of a number of high major schools. With his length and athleticism, he's a type of player I greatly enjoy watching and the upside potential is there. The question now is just how good can he be?

Tory Miller (Kansas City, MO)
The big (6'8", 240 pound) power forward hails from Kansas City but is attending school this year at New Hampton Prep (NH). Miller played his summer ball with KC Run GMC and their talented point guard Connor Frankamp, a Kansas commit also in the 2013 class.

An ACL injury as a freshman may have slowed his development some and there is a degree of upside with Miller. Nonetheless, what he could immediately provide to Minnesota is another interior presence that the Gophers are in need of next season. He's a big body, but with the help of a change in diet and hard work, he's been able to get himself into good shape.

From Tubby Smith's perspective, he can certainly offer a great opportunity for Miller to earn early playing time that many other schools can't. That said, I think the Gophers also need to take a long look at certain JUCO players to bring in next year.

A common theme you'll begin to notice if you haven't already is Nebraska's involvement in recruiting kids that the Gophers also have interest in. This is a prime example, but it's tough to examine the recruitment of most any Gopher target without the names of Nebraska head coach Tim Miles and former-Gopher & current Nebraska assistant Ben Johnson coming up. (Huskers also have shown interest in all the other players covered in this article.)

The relationship between Miles and Miller dates far back in time and Nebraska also has a need for a player of Miller's type. The Huskers faithful had dreams of 6'9" Omaha high schooler Akoy Agau giving the program a boost in 2013, but the native of Sudan gave his pledge to Rick Pitino and Louisville this week.

Other Notes

Alex Ellis added an offer from Butler yesterday.

Minnesota was in Illinois and saw Foster, Ellis and Moore this week.

Speaking of Illinois, new head coach John Groce and the Illini may struggle a bit on the court this coming season, but it's not going to last long. Another guard from Meanstreets (and Simeon high school), Kendrick Nunn, committed to Illinois last weekend and there are other impressive talents that may give their pledge in the very near future. While Groce's relationship with Nunn dates back to the head coach's time at Ohio, the new head man in Champaign has hit the ground running.

There is a lot at stake this weekend at several universities that are hosting key recruits on official visits. From an Illinois-based standpoint, things do not get any bigger than at the University Of Minnesota. That is because the Gophers have two prime targets from the Land Of Lincoln on campus for officials--6'4 2013 2-guard Alvin Ellis from De La Salle Institute in Chicago and 6'7 2013 wing forward Alex Foster who at one time was Ellis' high school teammate at De La Salle before transferring to Seton Academy in South Holland, IL.

Both Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith and assistant coach Vince Taylor have tracked Ellis endlessly over the course of the past year and there is no question that he is their top recruiting priority as far as wings in the 2013 class go. Not only that, but both Smith and Taylor have put in considerable work in the Chicago area since open gyms began this month. Foster is looking to decide from amongst the Gophers, Auburn and Tennessee. If Minnesota were to land both Ellis and Foster it would undoubtedly constitute a recruiting bonanza and make a huge statement with respect to the Gophers recruiting efforts in the Windy City.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Sept_21-23_Visits.html

Go Gophers!!

Well.. I cannot envision a better atmosphere for our young visitors than last nights football game.. Its was awesome.

per Illinois Prep Bulls-Eye

Make no mistake about it--Ellis has been a top-priority recruit for the Gophers in the 2013 class for the better part of the past year. During that entire time, Smith and assistant coach Vince Taylor let it be known to Ellis just how much he was wanted. They tracked him endlessly throughout last season as they took in a number of De La Salle's games. They followed that up by pretty much following Ellis non-stop during both the past Spring and Summer evaluation periods while watching him compete for the talented Meanstreets 17-Under traveling team squad.

Ellis had already built a strong camaraderie with the Gophers coaching staff. That and the fact that he also enjoyed a strong official visit is what definitely enabled Minnesota to come out on top. There is no question that Ellis is a player who can flourish in Smith's system, as it is one that offers lots of freedom and flexibility with respect to allowing wings to operate--both offensively and defensively.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Ellis_Minnesota.html

Go Gophers!!

ChicagoHoops.com: Alex Foster Narrows List Down To 3 Schools

The state’s top senior power forward Alex Foster of Seton Academy took an official visit this past weekend to Minnesota. We caught up with him to see how it went.

“The first day I had dinner with Tubby (Smith) at this restaurant, watched their practice, and got a little tour of campus. Tubby is a great person. I could see myself playing for him. The second day we had breakfast at his house and got to chill, relax, play pool, and talk with him. Then we went to their practice, tailgate, and football game which was amazing. Today we had breakfast again and got to talk about everything.”

He spoke about the Gophers coaching staff.

“They all seem like they are really close with the players and they make sure you are on top of things.”

What else does Foster like about Minnesota?

“Their schedule and how the players love the school like all the people there.”

The Gophers picked up a commitment from Foster’s Meanstreets teammate Alvin Ellis on Sunday. Foster tells me he has two official visits scheduled for October.

“Well I have another visit with Auburn and Tennessee on the 5th and 19th.”

He says he has narrowed his list of schools down to Minnesota, Auburn, and Tennessee.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/in...ws-list-down-to-3-schools&catid=34:recruiting

Go Gophers!!

Alvin Ellis Talks Minnesota Commitment
Chicago Hoops - Recruiting
Written by Scott Burgess
Sunday, 23 September 2012 11:12

The recruitment of class of 2013 De La Salle shooting guard Alvin Ellis came to an end on Sunday morning as he verbally committed to Minnesota during his official visit. Ellis ranks as one of the top five prospects in the state and is a huge get for the Gophers. The senior shooting guard broke down how he committed.

“I told Coach Tubby (Smith) I could see myself playing there and fitting in. I had a great chance of coming in and playing so I took that opportunity. I would be playing for a coach that’s like a legend.”

Why did he decide to commit Sunday?

“It just felt right.’

Ellis spoke about his relationship with the Gophers coaching staff and Head Coach Tubby Smith.

“Real good relationship. Coach Tubby is very cool and can sometimes be a funny guy.”

Ellis has made great strides over the last two years. As a freshman he was a very raw prospect that had athleticism and tons of upside. Over the last two years he has continued to refine his game and improve his jump shot to the point where it has become his go to weapon. He will bring Minnesota a go to scorer that can get buckets when they are in crunch time.

He chose Minnesota over offers from Northwestern and Butler. Ellis ran this past summer with Meanstreets in the competitive Nike EYBL.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/in...alks-minnesota-commitment&catid=34:recruiting

Go Gophers!!

Confirming Moore's offer:

GopherHole #Gophers RT @cavwalsh: Ben Moore picks up an offer from Tubby Smith and University of Minnesota according to HS coach Rob Brost

GopherHole #Gophers RT @cavwalsh: Ben Moore picks up an offer from Tubby Smith and University of Minnesota according to HS coach Rob Brost

I don't know jack about Ben, but I thought we had a decent % chance at Nigel Hayes.

Gophs moving on or would we sign two '13 PF to replace Mbakwe & Ingrim?

re: Ben Moore - Illinois also offered tonight. That's Northwestern, Ill and Minn from the B1G. Wisconsin & Indiana had assistants in the gym tonight as well.

I don't know jack about Ben, but I thought we had a decent % chance at Nigel Hayes.

My guess would be first come, first serve. If one commits the offer is off the table for the other. Hopefully that's the case.

I shouldn't have left out the other forwards:
2013: Alex Foster, Tory Miller, Gavin Schilling, Dan Edozie + Ben & Nigel
2014: Travis Reid & Henry Elleson
2015: Alex Illikainen

Elleson (sic) is a 2015.

Right on.

What's your take? We looking to pick up two forwards this season? I'd only like to take one due to all the local talent coming in '14 & '15. That makes a JUCO more attractive for next season if the Gophers want two power forwards.

Most these guys are 6'-9", not sure how many can play some 3...

Right on.

What's your take? We looking to pick up two forwards this season? I'd only like to take one due to all the local talent coming in '14 & '15. That makes a JUCO more attractive for next season if the Gophers want two power forwards.

Most these guys are 6'-9", not sure how many can play some 3...

I wouldn't mind two guys capable of being interior players... definitely would be looking at JUCO talent. It's the Big Ten and in 2013-14 you've only got Eliason and Walker as big, physical guys, with Walker especially being a health concern.

2013-14 would be a great year to bring on a graduate transfer (although I hate the waiver rules re: graduate transfers) who wants playing time at the 4, but can't plan on something like that.

I wouldn't mind two guys capable of being interior players... definitely would be looking at JUCO talent. It's the Big Ten and in 2013-14 you've only got Eliason and Walker as big, physical guys, with Walker especially being a health concern.

2013-14 would be a great year to bring on a graduate transfer (although I hate the waiver rules re: graduate transfers) who wants playing time at the 4, but can't plan on something like that.

I agree. Until Mo plays a full season with out injury I'll be worried about his ability to stay healthy and play significant minutes at his weight.

We would have one freshman PF, Oto could do some spot duty guarding the four (not ideal, but he's shown some grit down-low pushing) & Buggs in is second year (depending on style of play). I'm not going to knock Buggs weight because Damian was a great 4 and he came in at 190lbs and is hardly over 200lbs now.

Big Man Reggie Lynch Could Follow Uncle Kevin to the U
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/180886?referrer_id=331171

Reggie Lynch, a 6-foot-9, 235-pound senior power forward from Edina (MN) High, is one of the top shotblockers in the state. Lynch recently made an unofficial visit to Minnesota and talked to Gopher Hole about the latest on his recruitment.

Lynch helped lead the Hornets to a 19-10 mark, losing to Hopkins in the Section 6, Class AAAA finals. He averaged 10.1 points per game, scoring in double figures in 10 of his 15 games. Lynch missed the beginning of the season after transferring from Bloomington Jefferson.

Lynch has received scholarship offers from Drake, LaSalle and Northeastern, but he is expected to see more recruiting attention after a strong summer for the Minnesota Magic Elite.

Gopher Hole: How was the visit to LaSalle?

Reggie Lynch: It was just like any visit should go. They showed me around the Philly Cheese Steak places. It was very nice. I got to see the practices. What school was like. Got to hang out with the players. Meet with the coaches and it was just like a great visit and I really liked it. There are not the highest on my list, but they are definitely a great consideration thanks to that visit.

Gopher Hole: What other plans do you have to make some more visits?

Reggie Lynch: I am thinking that I am going to take a visit to Drake within the next month. I’m not sure if this is happening, but we are planning a visit to the University of Minnesota again in the next couple of weeks.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers right now?

Reggie Lynch: They are highly interested in me. That have already offered to a few guys and they just want to see how the decisions go with the players and whether they commit or not. They just want to see if I can climb my grades up a little bit in the next couple of weeks, which I am quite sure I can. .

Gopher Hole: Have you done many open gyms yet and have you had coaches come out to those?

Reggie Lynch: I have had four open gyms and I have been to all of them, but only one of them have coaches come to watch. That was this past Tuesday where the University of Minnesota, Drake and a couple of other schools came to watch me and Graham Woodward.

Gopher Hole: I think that LaSalle head coach recently told me that they are coming here soon.

Reggie Lynch: They have already offered me and they really liked me, but they just want to show that I am the only one on their list by coming.

Gopher Hole: Any other home visits?

Reggie Lynch: No home visits coming up, but we’ll see.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about when you might try to decide on a school? Would you sign in the fall or would you wait until the spring?

Reggie Lynch: I want to decide in the fall, depending on if some of the bigger schools that can offer. If not, I might go onto the spring.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, Minnesota has a connection with your uncle, Kevin. Has he talked to you much about Minnesota?

Reggie Lynch: He just wants the best for me. He does want me to go to Minnesota, if they make the offer. Just like him. We’ll just have to see, if that’s what happens.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that would appeal to you to play in front of the hometown fans?

Reggie Lynch: Oh, yes. For sure. Minnesota is the only school in Minnesota that I would want to go to. Other than that, I would like to travel out, but definitely the U of M is one of the highest schools on my list.

Gopher Hole: You had a strong July. How pleased were you with how well things went this summer?

Reggie Lynch: I was happy with my performance. I had triple-doubles (points, rebounds and blocked shots in most games). We weren’t in the best of brackets, but we still did very good and we were 6-0, but we had to leave early for our flight. We would have won that bracket.

Gopher Hole: Was that kind of frustrating. I’m sure you would have liked to won the title?

Reggie Lynch: For sure. We can just say that we won that, but we don’t know for sure, but I’m pretty sure that we would have won that.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you have gotten a lot bigger and stronger since I saw you last. Have you been working on getting stronger?

Reggie Lynch: Yes, definitely. I am in the weight room all the time and in the gym all the time. I am up to 6-9 now. I hope that I can grow a few more inches.

Gopher Hole: What other things besides getting stronger have you been working on to improve yourself as a player?

Reggie Lynch: Working on the outside shot a lot more. Working on free throws. I am good at free throws right now, but I want to make all of them, instead of missing one or two per game and work on the footwork.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from?

Reggie Lynch: I’m hearing from Fairfield, VCU, Iowa, Rutgers, Bucknell, Illinois and South Dakota and the high majors would be UNLV, Washington State and Minnesota.

Nothing against the kid. He looks raw & like plan 'Z' for our 2013 PF needs.

Nothing against the kid. He looks raw & like plan 'Z' for our 2013 PF needs.

Very raw, he's got a nice touch shooting the ball though, if he is a legit 6'9" and wouldn't need to play right away, I could see him contributing in three years.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN
Edina PG Graham Woodward adds Miami of Ohio to his ever expanding offer list.

Minnesota did not make the final four for Moore:

Robert Brost ‏@brookhoops
BHS F, Ben Moore cuts list to 4-In no order-Colo St-SMU-Missouri-Illinois-Will visit Missouri (10/12) & Illinois (10/26) decision soon after

Minnesota did not make the final four for Moore:

Robert Brost ‏@brookhoops
BHS F, Ben Moore cuts list to 4-In no order-Colo St-SMU-Missouri-Illinois-Will visit Missouri (10/12) & Illinois (10/26) decision soon after
Colo St and SMU? I thought he might be the most likely.

Who do you guys think- right now- have the highest likelihood of coming here?

Maybe Alex Foster? He's certainly talked about us the most. Gavin Schilling might also be a good guess, because we're the only school that has hosted Schilling for an official visit. It's probably going to be awhile before he commits anywhere, though - I think he said he's going to wait until the end of his high school season to commit.

Sterling Brown has three visits set up - none of which are to Minnesota.

Chris Perry's favorite right now is Cincinnati.

Gophers JC target Daniel Edozie about his visit: “Everything stood out to me”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...get-daniel-edozie-everything-stood-out-to-me/

“It went pretty good, pretty well,” Edozie told the Pioneer Press. “I got a chance to meet the team, the coaches and the academic staff. I got a chance to tour the campus and see the student union and (Williams Arena) and everything. I got a chance to see the team go up and down a little bit (on Thursday).”

Go Gophers!!

I am a fan of Alvin Ellis. He is a good get. One of the top 10 players in Illinois who has a chance to move up the list.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of Foster or Schilling. I have seen both play many times and they just don't get much done on the court. Foster was highly ranked as a freshman but has dropped in the rankings steadily ever since.

It is really hard to believe that those three were on the same high school team and the team greatly underachieved.

Not trying to be negative. Just what I have observed.

Top Bottom