2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

If he's 6-9, Mbakwe is 7-3. He looks about 6-6 and is a below the rim player. I don't see him factoring much in our future.

If he's 6-9, Mbakwe is 7-3. He looks about 6-6 and is a below the rim player. I don't see him factoring much in our future.

Well thanks for your opinion, Im sure you know more than all the D1 coaches who recruited him.:rolleyes:

per Shooter:

The Gophers desperately need to sign 6-foot-9, 240-pound Gavin Schilling from Findlay Prep in Las Vegas to replace the 6-8, 245-pound Mbakwe next season. Word is Schilling's choices are down to Minnesota and Michigan State.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22738243/shooter-now-vikings-scott-studwell-says-ex-gopher

Go Gophers!!
I'll take this for about the same amount I took his "sources" the other week saying Tyus was likely headed to Kentucky, Rashad to UNC, and Reid maybe to Sparty which isn't much. I would like to think he may have some insight on this one since Schilling should be anouncing in the next month or two but I just can't get too excited about any information coming from Shooter.

I'm sure that's why Izzo wants him. Talk about an expert. lol

if early playing time is important to him, it bodes well for us.

Hot damn. If we made the final 2, I'm thinking Foster and Ellis are major factors. That and immediate playing time.

Makes the 'Fire Tubby' mania give a little pause. We'd probably lose all 3 of them.

You really think they wouldn't let them go?

Probably not instantly. My guess is they would tell them to wait until the new coach is hired and to give whoever it is a chance to convince them to keep their commitment. Get to know him first and see what he's all about. Maybe they will like him and want to stay afterall. Once the U feels like they have given the new coach a fair opportunity, then they would grant their release if they still want it.

He could be 6'8" or 6'9" in shoes which is taller than Mbakwe. Also Tom Izzo will take him even if he was 6'6" as that was what Draymond Green was listed at comming into college.

Probably not instantly. My guess is they would tell them to wait until the new coach is hired and to give whoever it is a chance to convince them to keep their commitment. Get to know him first and see what he's all about. Maybe they will like him and want to stay afterall. Once the U feels like they have given the new coach a fair opportunity, then they would grant their release if they still want it.

This. It's pretty much standard practice with a coaching change to let kids out of LOIs. Neither are from the area, they're pretty clearly coming to play for Tubby. It's not certain they'd leave, for one, the places they want to go may not have open scholarships. But it wouldn't be shocking if one or both bolted.

Two tweets from Schilling today:

"Had a great time at Villanova these past couple days. Thanks to Coach Wright, his staff and all the players who showed me a good time."

"It truly felt like I was part of the Nova family during my time there. #NovaNation"

Go Gophers!!

Two tweets from Schilling today:

"Had a great time at Villanova these past couple days. Thanks to Coach Wright, his staff and all the players who showed me a good time."

"It truly felt like I was part of the Nova family during my time there. #NovaNation"

Go Gophers!!

Which proves that Shooter's article was complete crap again saying that he was down to MN and MSU. Is there any way shooter can be canned?

Which proves that Shooter's article was complete crap again saying that he was down to MN and MSU. Is there any way shooter can be canned?

This proves nothing. Now, I think Shooting is full of crap 99% of time and that he probably read a thread about one of us speculating that MSU or hte Gophers are logical (which I actually agree with). However, these tweets prove nothing. What is he going to tweet. "My visit was okay, but I'm totally not going to school here". He is a kid, he tweets about his visits. He actually didn't tweet much during his visit, which I take as a good sign, only after this Shooter story comes out (which was retweeted to him).

I think MSU is #1, followed by the Gophers. I think he will let the season play out and our finish and Tubby's situation probably have a big factor in this.. remember, he played with both Foster and Ellis and is decent friends with them.. at least with Ellis.

Only if the U let's them go. Foster and Ellis signed their LOI.

Watched Foster play yesterday. Played in state title game in second smallest class in Illinois. He is just not very good. Very disappointing. He was playing against 6-2 kids and couldn't score. Non factor as his team lost. Then, to top it off, his team became the first team in state history to run off the court and not come back to accept second place trophy. Really bad sportsmanship by team. School will likely be sanctioned by IHSA for the actions.

As I have said before, I am a fan of Ellis. But Foster will not help you, IMO.

Watched Foster play yesterday. Played in state title game in second smallest class in Illinois. He is just not very good. Very disappointing. He was playing against 6-2 kids and couldn't score. Non factor as his team lost. Then, to top it off, his team became the first team in state history to run off the court and not come back to accept second place trophy. Really bad sportsmanship by team. School will likely be sanctioned by IHSA for the actions.

Yeah, I remember you comparing him to Stanley Gaines. Foster sounds like an awesome recruit.

Yeah, I remember you comparing him to Stanley Gaines. Foster sounds like an awesome recruit.

There is a name I haven't heard in some time. YEah, that didn't work out well for us. In Stanley's defense, he did have a nice senior year for Seton Hall.. I believe started in led them in rebounding. Not great, but a D1 player. He was miscast for Monson and Gophers.. he is a post type player that Monson had playing the 3.

This is what I've silently figured the whole time... Foster really doesn't seem like an impact player from what I hear. He obviously isn't respected by recruiting websites.

I do feel Minnesota got a steal though with Alvin Ellis!

This is what I've silently figured the whole time... Foster really doesn't seem like an impact player from what I hear. He obviously isn't respected by recruiting websites.

I do feel Minnesota got a steal though with Alvin Ellis!

Why do you say that? He's a 3-star recruit by both rivals and scout with offers from programs like Purdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Why do you say that? He's a 3-star recruit by both rivals and scout with offers from programs like Purdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

I can't speak to the other programs, but Foster was not offered by Illinois. Those websites often get the offer thing wrong. Even the players do, sometimes. Some kids think if coaches check them out or call them, they have Ann offer. Foster was highly rated as a freshman, but he maxed out a couple of years ago. I think he was still a three star because he started out as a five-star type. He has gone from top three in Illinois to out of the top 20. He is a tweener who does not have a true position in the BT, IMO.

Stanley Gaines was another Illinois prep who was ranked highly as a freshman and never progressed much.

I have nothing against Foster. I watch a bunch of kids and just give my impressions. Again, I think Ellis is a very good player.

Izzo and the Breslin Center vs Tubby and the Barn. Not much doubt what most players would do.

Izzo and the Breslin Center vs Tubby and the Barn. Not much doubt what most players would do.

That's probably most everyone's first impression. But don't forget playing time right away can be a big factor for some. Michigan St. has Payne back for one more year and they signed two highly recruited big men last year.

I know it's still unlikely but it's probably more plausible than you think.

To piggyback on combes' post, Foster did not have a UW offer either. If I remember correctly, he was down to Minnesota and Auburn.

I can't speak to the other programs, but Foster was not offered by Illinois. Those websites often get the offer thing wrong. Even the players do, sometimes. Some kids think if coaches check them out or call them, they have Ann offer. Foster was highly rated as a freshman, but he maxed out a couple of years ago. I think he was still a three star because he started out as a five-star type. He has gone from top three in Illinois to out of the top 20. He is a tweener who does not have a true position in the BT, IMO.

Stanley Gaines was another Illinois prep who was ranked highly as a freshman and never progressed much.

I have nothing against Foster. I watch a bunch of kids and just give my impressions. Again, I think Ellis is a very good player.

Based on watching Foster do you think that, while not an impact player, that he has potential to develop into a solid player who contributes (even down the line)? Yeah, having that as upside kind of stinks when we are in need of impact players, but trying to see the upside if any? Good to hear Ellis is pretty much universally thought of as a steal.

@gschills32: Had a wonderful time at MSU this weekend! Great atmosphere..Coach Izzo, his staff and the players are great people! #GoGreen

Go Gophers!!

@gschills32: Had a wonderful time at MSU this weekend! Great atmosphere..Coach Izzo, his staff and the players are great people! #GoGreen

Go Gophers!!

This guy will make a good politician. He says the same thing after every visit.

He is definitely methodical.

It sounds like Foster is Andre Ingram with a higher ceiling. A good role player but probably not anything special.

Top Bottom