2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

It sounds like Foster is Andre Ingram with a higher ceiling. A good role player but probably not anything special.

I have no problem with role players. However, you do need starts. Hopefully Ellis can do that for us.

To piggyback on combes' post, Foster did not have a UW offer either. If I remember correctly, he was down to Minnesota and Auburn.

I haven't read Combes post and I am not saying you're wrong, but rivals and scout/fox has him with scholarship offers from wisconsin. Plus Purdue, Illinois and Tennessee. I think he is a better player than what most are saying.

I haven't read Combes post and I am not saying you're wrong, but rivals and scout/fox has him with scholarship offers from wisconsin. Plus Purdue, Illinois and Tennessee. I think he is a better player than what most are saying.

Most people who followed his recruitment and follow recruiting for certain schools say that they offered him earlier on when he was more highly regarded, and then pulled the offer and recruited over him. So they did offer him at one time, but it basically expired from certain teams. Not saying it happened here because I didn't follow his recruitment, but that happens pretty often.

per Amelia's Q&A:

Amelia,

With Gavin Schilling having taken his official visit to Michigan State over the weekend, he has now visited each of the four schools on his list of finalists. Since we're already late in the 2013 class recruiting cycle, when do you expect we'll be getting a decision from Mr. Schilling? With the Gophers' starting frontcourt graduating in a few months, this would seem to have a significant impact upon next year's team. If Schilling commits elsewhere, will Tubby look elsewhere to fill that scholarship or stand pat with their two existing commits?

Brett

Yes, where Schilling decides to go is critical. If he goes elsewhere, the Gophers will be in a tough spot as there just aren’t a lot of capable big men out there otherwise. Last I spoke with the Findlay Prep senior, he said he would make a decision in March. Well, it’s March, and as you mentioned he’s now visited all of his schools. I expect we’ll be hearing something soon. (I texted him today, but haven’t heard anything back just yet -- will keep this blog and the Twitters updated).

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/197427811.html

Go Gophers!!

I cannot really find too many highlights on him except for summer ball (doesn't even look like AAU). There is no major youtube channels (ballislife, hoopmixtape, etc) that has a mixtape on him..

per Amelia's Q&A:

Amelia,

With Gavin Schilling having taken his official visit to Michigan State over the weekend, he has now visited each of the four schools on his list of finalists. Since we're already late in the 2013 class recruiting cycle, when do you expect we'll be getting a decision from Mr. Schilling? With the Gophers' starting frontcourt graduating in a few months, this would seem to have a significant impact upon next year's team. If Schilling commits elsewhere, will Tubby look elsewhere to fill that scholarship or stand pat with their two existing commits?

Brett

Yes, where Schilling decides to go is critical. If he goes elsewhere, the Gophers will be in a tough spot as there just aren’t a lot of capable big men out there otherwise. Last I spoke with the Findlay Prep senior, he said he would make a decision in March. Well, it’s March, and as you mentioned he’s now visited all of his schools. I expect we’ll be hearing something soon. (I texted him today, but haven’t heard anything back just yet -- will keep this blog and the Twitters updated).

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/197427811.html

Go Gophers!!

maybe Tubby is just slow-playing the whole recruiting thing til he needs to do something to save his job. Julius Randle and Andrew Wiggins would turn this recruiting class around in a hurry. We could buy a year until the Big3 get here.... No pun intended on the usage of the word "buy"

(semi-breaking) Schilling will announce this coming Wednesday where he'll attend college!P
Stay strong Gopher fans. Don't expect a committment, you'll get your hopes up. If he does committ, treat it as an extremely pleasant surprise. :)

Here is Schilling's breakdown of the final four. Sounds like he's leaning towards Villanova and MSU based on his responses, but who knows.

Class of 2013 Findlay Prep (NV) power forward Gavin Schilling has seen his stock rise as much as any post player in the nation this season. After transferring to the prep power from Chicago, Schilling has taken his game to new heights. That has translated on the recruiting trail. Next Wednesday, March 20 Schilling will make his college announcement.

He tells us he has narrowed it down to UCLA, Minnesota, Villanova, and Michigan State. Schilling broke down what he likes about each program beginning with UCLA.

“At UCLA I like the tradition. I like the business program there because that’s what I want to study and its top 30 in the country. They are saying they are in need of a player like me for next season that can especially rebound since that’s what they are lacking this season. They also like my versatility so that’s another thing that can help me make an impact right away.”

What stands out about Minnesota?

“At Minnesota there’s a good situation for me because Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams are both leaving. They need to replace them right away with someone. I like Coach Smith and the way he develops his bigs. They compare me to Kris Humphries who came through Minnesota and say I have some similarities.”

Next up is Villanova.

“At Villanova they also have a good situation for me to play right now with Mouphtaou Yarou leaving. The whole team is like a family over there and they just all come together even with the coaching staff. I’m close with them and Coach Wright. Life after basketball is emphasized there and that’s important to me and their business program is also top 30 in the country. Coach Wright likes versatile players who can run with guards and that’s what I am.”

The final school on his list is Michigan State.

“Their program is a winning one. What Coach Izzo has done there is amazing. He is a player’s type of coach that spends much time with the team on the court getting his players better as well as off the court. I like Coach Izzo’s style of play and I like the Big Ten style of play. I have a good chance to make an impact as a freshman. The business program is also top of the line and the school is close to home.”

Right now Schilling plans to announce his decision on his twitter @GSchills32.

As I said in January, 5 will get you 3 that Schilling comes to the U.

Gavin Schilling to Announce Wednesday

“I’ve decided that I will announce my college decision next Wednesday,” the 6-foot-9, 205-pound Findlay Prep forward told SNY.tv. “It’s between UCLA, Minnesota, Michigan State and Villanova.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/gavin-schilling-to-announce-wednesday/

Go Gophers!!

With Tubby on the hot seat, this is not good news for us. If I were him there's no way I'd decide for Minnesota without knowing who the coach will be. I'd say we are toast unless Flip has called him and told him a little secret. :)

Schilling doesn't annouce where he is going last fall in hope of getting a big time offer. He visits Villinove, Ucla and then last week he visits MSU (All offer him) and now he annouces that he will be declaring on Weds. where he will be going. Didn't he visit the U of M last Fall? I hear he likes to wear green and play for a winning program.

Schilling doesn't annouce where he is going last fall in hope of getting a big time offer. He visits Villinove, Ucla and then last week he visits MSU (All offer him) and now he annouces that he will be declaring on Weds. where he will be going. Didn't he visit the U of M last Fall? I hear he likes to wear green and play for a winning program.

That very last point is the most important one. Winning program=not gophers

He would probably start and get all the minutes he wants for the Gophers. No matter who the coach it would be a great opportunity for him. I don't think anyone on this board knows what color he likes to wear.

I have no idea how Teague will decide Tubby's fate. Losing to Illannoy today and either not making the tournament or losing the first game may be grounds for his dismissal. There is the remote possibility that if his 2013 recruiting includes Schilling he may be retained. Firing Tubby would probably mean Ellis, Foster and Schilling would go elsewhere. That said if I am Shilling I am signing with Izzo,

I have no idea how Teague will decide Tubby's fate. Losing to Illannoy today and either not making the tournament or losing the first game may be grounds for his dismissal. There is the remote possibility that if his 2013 recruiting includes Schilling he may be retained. Firing Tubby would probably mean Ellis, Foster and Schilling would go elsewhere. That said if I am Shilling I am signing with Izzo,

He has a connection to Foster and Ellis. He starts from day one with a team with experienced guards. I am not so sure he won't choose the gophers. Good of a shoT as any.

As much as I want him to sign here. If I'm a recruit and I have the option to play for Izzo or Tubby. I'm choosing Izzo every single time.

One thing for sure, if any recruit is watching us play, they'll surely be saying "I can definitely play right away for THIS team."

As much as I want him to sign here. If I'm a recruit and I have the option to play for Izzo or Tubby. I'm choosing Izzo every single time.

Maybe. Nor perhaps he could be like Isaiah Dahlman there and a decent and active player here. With kids he has already played with and knows.

per Doogie:

Palm Beach State Juco assistant coach Ben Servidio on his player, former Texas commitment and 6-foot-9 forward Kevin Thomas: "Minnesota offered a scholarship to Kevin Thomas back in November, but due to Minnesota's needs at forward, they also recently indicated that they offered a scholarship to a freshman small forward with the same body type as Kevin's -- long, slender and can elevate. They still send mail constantly and are still interested, but they have put him on the backburner, it seems, for the time being. Kevin's recruitment has picked up in the last few months, receiving offers from Nebraska, Oregon State, Seton Hall and Western Kentucky."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ences_makes_sense_for_Wolves_owner_says031513

Go Gophers!!

Makes sense to wait and see where Schilling ends up before pursuing Thomas very hard. I wouldn't mind taking both of them, though. Even if it means taking away a scholarship from the class of 2014.

Makes sense to wait and see where Schilling ends up before pursuing Thomas very hard. I wouldn't mind taking both of them, though. Even if it means taking away a scholarship from the class of 2014.
I don't think you would want to do that, would take away all hope of landing the big 3 and anger an already somewhat upset fan base. I think you have to hold out or at least sell the hope of the big 3 whether you think you have a real chance at all them or not until any of them say they are not going to go to Minnesota.

per Doogie:

Palm Beach State Juco assistant coach Ben Servidio on his player, former Texas commitment and 6-foot-9 forward Kevin Thomas: "Minnesota offered a scholarship to Kevin Thomas back in November, but due to Minnesota's needs at forward, they also recently indicated that they offered a scholarship to a freshman small forward with the same body type as Kevin's -- long, slender and can elevate. They still send mail constantly and are still interested, but they have put him on the backburner, it seems, for the time being. Kevin's recruitment has picked up in the last few months, receiving offers from Nebraska, Oregon State, Seton Hall and Western Kentucky."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ences_makes_sense_for_Wolves_owner_says031513

Go Gophers!!

If I am reading this correctly, the Gophers have an offer out to a JUCO freshman (Paul Carter type situation with 3 years to play?) whose name has not become public knowledge yet? A "long, slender and can elevate" small forward sounds pretty low on the list of needs for next year to me. Wouldn't Buggs fit that profile? Outside of possibly the elevation, it seems like Foster is that type of guy too. I would think we'd be looking for a PF who could board and score (hopefully Schilling) or a PG or simply a go to offensive force that this team has not had had in the Tubby era.

PiPress: Gophers basketball struggles don't dissuade recruit Gavin Schilling

"I'm always going to look at teams and how they play," Schilling said. "But if a team is struggling this year, I look at it as I can come in next year, help them out and make them better."

"Gavin will physically be ready to play Big Ten basketball, if he ends up at Minnesota or Michigan State," Bossi said. "He's got a pretty good basketball IQ. Traveling with Findlay all year long, he's accustomed to the college lifestyle. I think he can contribute, but I wouldn't look for him to be a guy who averages 14 (points) and eight (rebounds) as a freshman."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ruggles-dont-dissuade-recruit-gavin-schilling

Go Gophers!!

Could MN land two straight big 3's? First Chicago and then Minnesota? The great 6?

Top Bottom