12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard from a few people close to the AAU scene that Rashad switched from NGS to Playground Elite (EYBL team) instead of Pulley because he doesn't want to have to share the spotlight with Tyus, who could interfere with the number of looks he gets. (wouldn't it be the opposite though?)

Either way, Doogie said on twitter that he can sense all three recruits are more impressed with Pitino than with Tubby. Let's hope Pitino keeps on building a relationship with them.

If Doogie has ever actually talked directly to any of these guys, I would be surprised. It is not a reach to think they would be more impressed by the new guy. More energy, new enthusiasm, and a promise of a style of play that is different than the immediate past. Sorry, but I see no insight there.

I have heard from a few people close to the AAU scene that Rashad switched from NGS to Playground Elite (EYBL team) instead of Pulley because he doesn't want to have to share the spotlight with Tyus, who could interfere with the number of looks he gets. (wouldn't it be the opposite though?)

Either way, Doogie said on twitter that he can sense all three recruits are more impressed with Pitino than with Tubby. Let's hope Pitino keeps on building a relationship with them.

If that's the case, Tyus should just commit to Duke already so Rashad can have the spotlight here.

I feel like out of Tarik Black, Cameron Forte, Shane Rector, Malik Smith, Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, Reid Travis, Josh Perkins, Goodluck Okonoboh, and Dominique Collier... We are bound to hopefully land 3-4 which would be a nice program changer! But we all know how recruiting goes...

Pitino is a salesman, who is young, energetic, with a great wealth of basketball knowledge who can relate to kids.

Tubby struggled to form sentences at times and was "old-school" in every aspect of the word.

When it's all said and done, I think we get Vaughn and Travis....and adding Tyus is more of a possibility now than ever before. The thing I worry about Tyus, is Okafor getting in his ear to play at a Kentucky, Duke etc. Which in the end, is what will likely end up happening. I doubt Okafor has any interest in coming to Minnesota what-so-ever, Pitino or not. Someone also said on Gopher Illustrated that he believed there was zero chance Rashad and Tyus play in college together because they are not close, and neither wants to share the spotlight with the other. If this is indeed the case, maybe this will put pressure on Rashad to commit before Tyus has the chance to. Again, through my maroon and gold glasses.

Could you imagine this lineup in a dream world???

Tyus Jones (Freshman)
Andre Hollins (Senior)
Rashad Vaughn (Freshman)
Reid Travis (Freshman)
Jahlil Okafor (Freshman)

If you can offer Okafor (or any of the Big Three, for that matter) to play in that lineup he would be crazy not to come to the U. 'Fab Four' anyone? That team would be historic for the U and the players, but convincing them of it individually, to make it happen, is where you achieve legendary status. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for Young Pitino until the dust is all settled.

If you can offer Okafor (or any of the Big Three, for that matter) to play in that lineup he would be crazy not to come to the U. 'Fab Four' anyone? That team would be historic for the U and the players, but convincing them of it individually, to make it happen, is where you achieve legendary status. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for Young Pitino until the dust is all settled.

They could easily do that same thing at Kentucky...Or any other school for that matter.

When it's all said and done, I think we get Vaughn and Travis....and adding Tyus is more of a possibility now than ever before. The thing I worry about Tyus, is Okafor getting in his ear to play at a Kentucky, Duke etc. Which in the end, is what will likely end up happening. I doubt Okafor has any interest in coming to Minnesota what-so-ever, Pitino or not. S

There's no way Okafor is coming to Minnesota. None. Zilch. Nil. Nada.

It's great news that Vaughn/Tyus have been impressed by Pitino, though.

I'm extremely worried that Rashad is getting mesmerized by North Carolina. He really seems to like them, and talk about them an awful lot. I hope I'm wrong though!

I'm extremely worried that Rashad is getting mesmerized by North Carolina. He really seems to like them, and talk about them an awful lot. I hope I'm wrong though!

I'm worried, too. A month ago or so, UNC bloggers seemed very confident Vaughn would commit to UNC after Rashad watched UNC play Duke AND received an in-home visit from Roy Williams during a 2-week span. Let's hope that if he was going to commit to UNC, he already would have.

Vaughn certainly seems to have some interest in the U, though. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up waiting to see how Pitino does, and then deciding if he'd rather stay home or play for UNC/Kentucky/Syracuse.

I think probably the longer the Big 3 wait to make a decision, the better chance we have.

I'm worried, too. A month ago or so, UNC bloggers seemed very confident Vaughn would commit to UNC after Rashad watched UNC play Duke AND received an in-home visit from Roy Williams during a 2-week span. Let's hope that if he was going to commit to UNC, he already would have.

Vaughn certainly seems to have some interest in the U, though. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up waiting to see how Pitino does, and then deciding if he'd rather stay home or play for UNC/Kentucky/Syracuse.

IMO, Vaughn is deciding between Minnesota and UNC. Minnesota is his home school, but I believe UNC is more his "dream" school. Will be interesting to see his decision.

IMO, Vaughn is deciding between Minnesota and UNC. Minnesota is his home school, but I believe UNC is more his "dream" school. Will be interesting to see his decision.

Obviously I'm no expert, but this is what I'm thinking also. I guess we can only wish for a kick butt gopher season and an underperforming Tar Heel season this year to show Rashad where he needs to be!

Obviously I'm no expert, but this is what I'm thinking also. I guess we can only wish for a kick butt gopher season and an underperforming Tar Heel season this year to show Rashad where he needs to be!

I doubt how UNC does this season has any effect on his school choice. The only thing holding up his decision is waiting to see what Pitino does in his first year at Minnesota. Even if Vaughn does leave, it sounds like Pitino is doing some good work early on in this recruiting process and i expect him to real in a great 2014 recruiting class. Even if it isn't the top 3 recruiting class that it could be.

I doubt how UNC does this season has any effect on his school choice. The only thing holding up his decision is waiting to see what Pitino does in his first year at Minnesota. Even if Vaughn does leave, it sounds like Pitino is doing some good work early on in this recruiting process and i expect him to real in a great 2014 recruiting class. Even if it isn't the top 3 recruiting class that it could be.

I doubt Vaughn is going to wait to see how anybody's season goes. He might wait to see how the summer goes with Pitino and to see if Pitino gets some nice verbals. My wish is that someone like Vaughn or Jones or Reid would commit in May or June to us. That would give Pitino some real traction to sell other recruits.

I doubt Vaughn is going to wait to see how anybody's season goes. He might wait to see how the summer goes with Pitino and to see if Pitino gets some nice verbals. My wish is that someone like Vaughn or Jones or Reid would commit in May or June to us. That would give Pitino some real traction to sell other recruits.

Considering Tyus Jones said he'll probably delay his decision to see how Pitino does next year, I think it's a very real possibility that Vaughn would do the same.

Considering Tyus Jones said he'll probably delay his decision to see how Pitino does next year, I think it's a very real possibility that Vaughn would do the same.

I don't think he said that exactly. He said he would delay his decision, but I don't think he said it would be to see how we played this winter. I think it was more in terms of getting to know Pitino this summer and how he interacts. I could be wrong but that's my take. It's really rough on these kids to have everybody hounding them all during the school year. Most of them want to get it over with in the fall.

I don't think he said that exactly. He said he would delay his decision, but I don't think he said it would be to see how we played this winter. I think it was more in terms of getting to know Pitino this summer and how he interacts. I could be wrong but that's my take. It's really rough on these kids to have everybody hounding them all during the school year. Most of them want to get it over with in the fall.

That's the way I recall it too, beej.

I think both Jones and Vaughn sign in the the early signing period. Probably commit somewhere by the end of summer.

I'm guessing they will all narrow their lists by summer so it keeps the craziness at bay. I think they will want to take some official visits this Fall, unless they are blown away by one program. I think Tyus will choose between MSU, Duke or the Gophers (long shot). As others have said, Vaughn seems to like UNC but I can see him going down to UNC or the Gophers. As for Reid, I think he is more wide open than the others.. which can work in our favor?

This morning Sid said Tyus' mother wants him to stay here so she can see him play. She was quoted in Sid's column and sounded impressed with Pitino. I am convinced that Pitino has a much better chance at signing any of the Big 3 than Tubby.

Based on this tweet it sounds like he wants to see how they do on the court, at least in the nonconference.

bobsansevere ‏@bobsansevere 2m
And this: Tyus Jones says he might delay making his college choice to see how Pitino coaches the Gophers in his first season.

This morning Sid said Tyus' mother wants him to stay here so she can see him play. She was quoted in Sid's column and sounded impressed with Pitino. I am convinced that Pitino has a much better chance at signing any of the Big 3 than Tubby.

Tubby = 0% chance

He also says, after speaking with Pitino, "I then got more interested."

Sorry for the constant edits, but I have Vaughn seemed very positive about the Gophs and Pitino's staff.

Based on this tweet it sounds like he wants to see how they do on the court, at least in the nonconference.

Thanks - I hadn't seen it stated that clearly so I stand corrected. That said- bet the farm that they all sign somewhere in the fall period.

You are playing for a Milwaukee team this summer for AAU. Why?

I thought that was the best fit for me.

Did the Howard Pulley Panthers with Tyus Jones and Reid Travis try to get you?

There was a bit of an altercation. My family and I decided that playing for Milwaukee was best.

Go Gophers!!

You are playing for a Milwaukee team this summer for AAU. Why?

I thought that was the best fit for me.

Did the Howard Pulley Panthers with Tyus Jones and Reid Travis try to get you?

There was a bit of an altercation. My family and I decided that playing for Milwaukee was best.

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully it was between his parents and the people that run Pulley and not between Vaughn and Tyus/Reid.

Hopefully it was between his parents and the people that run Pulley and not between Vaughn and Tyus/Reid.

I'm not sure it matters either way, as this demonstrates further that these guys especially Vaughn with Tyus/Reid, don't have much of a relationship. There appears to be little chance the three pick the same school:

Do you talk to Jones and Travis about how the process is going, for advice?

We had a photo shoot together, so we talked. Besides that, we don't talk. Maybe every now-and-then. But not about the process.

Do you like being grouped in with those two?

It doesn't really matter, by myself, or being grouped with them. All three of us work hard.

Go Gophers!!

I'm not sure it matters either way, as this demonstrates further that these guys especially Vaughn with Tyus/Reid, don't have much of a relationship. There appears to be little chance the three pick the same school:

Do you talk to Jones and Travis about how the process is going, for advice?

We had a photo shoot together, so we talked. Besides that, we don't talk. Maybe every now-and-then. But not about the process.

Do you like being grouped in with those two?

It doesn't really matter, by myself, or being grouped with them. All three of us work hard.

Go Gophers!!

It's hard to read Rashad Vaughn, but one thing I really like about him is that old school kind of competitiveness, especially because he's a scorer.

I'm not comparing him in style of play or caliber or anything like that, but it's like Kobe or MJ. Both of those guys would be slightly annoyed (probably in a less respectful way than Rashad) about being always talked about in terms of being part of this group or being second fiddle to Tyus. A SG is sort of like a WR, you want him to think he is always open, he is always taking good shoots and no one can cover him (like WR's are ALWAYS open, just ask them).

Rashad seems to have that. He is respectful to the other two, but in my brief reading in his quotes, he has a certain amount of competitiveness to him that you sometimes don't see anymore because of the AAU circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom