Wyatt Gilmore Watch

I don’t know what the odds are, but I doubt they good enough to gamble on if he really wants to come here. So yes I do think he should come here now if he thinks he has us a plan b down the road.
A guy that was good enough that Miami, Oklahoma, and Oregon gave him committable offers and welcomed him on official visits?

Nope. You're just not being reasonable. It's not 100% guaranteed, sure, few things are.

But if I'm Fleck, I'm absolutely telling him when he announces that he's going to one of those places "Wyatt I want to congratulate you on your decision and wish you best of luck. And I want to let you know that if things don't work out like you were thinking [down/out] there, please think of your home state Golden Gophers and know that we would love to talk to you about possibilities of transferring home!"

Would like to think that's the defacto message for any high-level, in-state athletes who leaves, unless the guy is a dick/really bad fit for culture.

A guy that was good enough that Miami, Oklahoma, and Oregon gave him committable offers and welcomed him on official visits?

Nope. You're just not being reasonable. It's not 100% guaranteed, sure, few things are.

But if I'm Fleck, I'm absolutely telling him when he announces that he's going to one of those places "Wyatt I want to congratulate you on your decision and wish you best of luck. And I want to let you know that if things don't work out like you were thinking [down/out] there, please think of your home state Golden Gophers and know that we would love to talk to you about possibilities of transferring home!"

Would like to think that's the defacto message for any high-level, in-state athletes who leaves, unless the guy is a dick/really bad fit for culture.
You wish him luck and tell him to keep in touch if things don't work.

The truth is that if he goes to Miami and does a nice job, he'll likely stay at Miami (or transfer to another premier program). If he goes to Miami and doesn't see PT, it becomes less clear that there is a spot.

I think Gilmore is really good and I hope he is really good here.

The truth is that if he goes to Miami and does a nice job, he'll likely stay at Miami (or transfer to another premier program). If he goes to Miami and doesn't see PT, it becomes less clear that there is a spot.

IMO it depends on how it plays out. Going to another school for 1-2 years and then wanting to come back is no gauge on his ability. It's just that he didn't like the fit after a True Freshmen or Redshirt Season. Most kids transfer early due to fit and it's usually not about playing time that early. Most football players don't expect to see the field in the first 1-2 years unless they're ready. \

Gophers have all kinds of guys that don't see the field until year 3 or after.

It becomes less clear? OK, very definitive :sneaky:

Has there ever been a high level TC area recruit who went left state to go to a high level program, then wanted to come home with eligibility left, and was denied by the staff??

Townley isn’t necessarily proof because we have no idea if he wants to come home.

Go Gophers!!
Taking an official makes me think there is a chance.
Sometimes guys don’t use one of their officials on the gophers but yet somehow the gophers are a “finalist” and they take an unofficial or two. Kid wouldn’t commit this much time this late if the chances were 0.

No idea where he is going and wouldn’t bet on anything.

Would we ever know this?
The player would be told by the coaching staff that "well, at this time, we aren't sure ...." and the player would have to choose to never let that information out.

It's possible, but I think it would get out.

I don't think there have been a lot of cases, to be honest. The free transfer era is still too new and Fleck is only recently making the program more interesting as a transfer home destination.

Taking an official makes me think there is a chance.
Sometimes guys don’t use one of their officials on the gophers but yet somehow the gophers are a “finalist” and they take an unofficial or two. Kid wouldn’t commit this much time this late if the chances were 0.
Fair point. More than zero chance.

And ... he gone.

Has there ever been a high level TC area recruit who went left state to go to a high level program, then wanted to come home with eligibility left, and was denied by the staff??

Townley isn’t necessarily proof because we have no idea if he wants to come home.
Of course it's not definitive. You'd have to be an absolute lunatic to give a definitive answer on where a 2024 HS recruit could potentially transfer in 2026. Yes, that's precisely the point.

Well, I mean, the portal has only been open a couple of years.

Terry Lockett
Aidan Bauman
David Alston
Davon Townley

As far as proof as to whether or not the people we didn't recruit even wanted to come home, yeah, you'll never get that. Reading the tea leaves, which is all anyone can go by, any of these 4 would have pounced on an opportunity if they received a Gopher offer, and that ship had sailed for the U.

IMO it depends on how it plays out. Going to another school for 1-2 years and then wanting to come back is no gauge on his ability. It's just that he didn't like the fit after a True Freshmen or Redshirt Season. Most kids transfer early due to fit and it's usually not about playing time that early. Most football players don't expect to see the field in the first 1-2 years unless they're ready. \

Gophers have all kinds of guys that don't see the field until year 3 or after.
It's not about playing time in the first two seasons, it's about seeing where they stack up in the depth chart. After two seasons, if they are still buried in the depth chart for the foreseeable future, they start looking. So you're right, it's not about PT your FR and SO season, it's about knowing where you stack up after those years.

As to players not being a fit at a program, absolutely. I just think if someone like Gilmore goes to Miami and isn't buried in the depth chart after seasons, he would more likely transfer to an SEC school or another big time program before transferring home.

Terry Lockett
Aidan Bauman
David Alston
Davon Townley

As far as proof as to whether or not the people we didn't recruit even wanted to come home, yeah, you'll never get that. Reading the tea leaves, which is all anyone can go by, any of these 4 would have pounced on an opportunity if they received a Gopher offer, and that ship had sailed for the U.
Well the bolded is literally everything, in the whole argument. You are assuming the answer you want, and then pointing to it in victory.

My tea leaves say they had no interest in coming home.

ALSO, it's cannot be understated that transferring within the conference can be more of a sore spot for Big Ten schools that letting a guy go outside the conf.

The guys above other than Bauman went to other Big Ten schools.

I'm not saying they can block them. But they can ask them not to, try to convince them, say "don't go somewhere to play against us", etc.

Bauman went to Iowa State, who offers every single Minnesota high school player with a pulse. That to me a lower offer than the Gophers. Are we sure he had a committable offer to come here? Just asking, answer could easily be yes, I did not follow his recruitment.

Well the bolded is literally everything, in the whole argument. You are assuming the answer you want, and then pointing to it in victory.

My tea leaves say they had no interest in coming home.
Then you're not very smart.

You think Terry Lockett picked Eastern Michigan over the U?
You think Aidan Baumann picked South Dakota over the U?
You think David Alston picked Montana State over the U?

I don't think that's tea you're drinking.

Then you're not very smart.

You think Terry Lockett picked Eastern Michigan over the U?
You think Aidan Baumann picked South Dakota over the U?
You think David Alston picked Montana State over the U?

I don't think that's tea you're drinking.
I'll take an L for sure on Lockett. (Though maybe the guy just really loves the state of Michigan?)

Alston does not show an offer from Minnesota https://247sports.com/Recruitment/David-Alston-100342/RecruitInterests/ but it does show one from Wisconsin, though who knows if it was committable? His timeline only shows an official to Neb https://247sports.com/Player/David-Alston-46037064/TimelineEvents/ But assuming Wisc was committable, then I'll take an L on Alston as well. You'd think he'd have transferred to Madison if that was on the table.

Not taking an L on Aidan Bouman. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Aidan-Bouman-116006/RecruitInterests/ only showing Iowa State as an offer. Why would we offer him in the portal if we didn't offer him as a high school player?

This is really surprising. A good thread that evolved into a pissing match on Gopherhole about hypothetical what-if scenarios, and things that might (or might not) have happened in the past. And complete and utter emotional attachment to positions on these what ifs and maybe/maybe nots.

Sarcasm detectors are 'on' I hope.

There have been instate kids that went to P5 schools out of high school that the gophers never offered, why wouldn’t there be transfers that we wouldn’t offer?

Of course it's not definitive. You'd have to be an absolute lunatic to give a definitive answer on where a 2024 HS recruit could potentially transfer in 2026. Yes, that's precisely the point.

Well, I mean, the portal has only been open a couple of years.

Terry Lockett
Aidan Bauman
David Alston
Davon Townley

Chase Carter as well.

I'll take an L for sure on Lockett. (Though maybe the guy just really loves the state of Michigan?)

Alston does not show an offer from Minnesota https://247sports.com/Recruitment/David-Alston-100342/RecruitInterests/ but it does show one from Wisconsin, though who knows if it was committable? His timeline only shows an official to Neb https://247sports.com/Player/David-Alston-46037064/TimelineEvents/ But assuming Wisc was committable, then I'll take an L on Alston as well. You'd think he'd have transferred to Madison if that was on the table.

Not taking an L on Aidan Bouman. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Aidan-Bouman-116006/RecruitInterests/ only showing Iowa State as an offer. Why would we offer him in the portal if we didn't offer him as a high school player?
I think you have been spinning around trying to make an argument and you forgot your argument.

I said that they would have pounced if they received an offer from the Gophers. The fact that they never received an offer from us kind of makes my point not yours.

These were highly recruited local players we had no interest in after a couple of years of college. They are examples of my point.

This is really surprising. A good thread that evolved into a pissing match on Gopherhole about hypothetical what-if scenarios, and things that might (or might not) have happened in the past. And complete and utter emotional attachment to positions on these what ifs and maybe/maybe nots.

Sarcasm detectors are 'on' I hope.
A good another emotional hissy fit about people should talk about on a message board thread.

You're now complaining about people discussing where Wyatt Gilmore might play in the future on a Wyatt Gilmore thread? Wow.

I think you have been spinning around trying to make an argument and you forgot your argument.

I said that they would have pounced if they received an offer from the Gophers. The fact that they never received an offer from us kind of makes my point not yours.

These were highly recruited local players we had no interest in after a couple of years of college. They are examples of my point.
I made the mistake of reading ignored posts and replying a few days ago. I'm assuming this has just gotten worse since then?? 😂😂

Wyatt Gillmore, taking an official visit to Minnesota, tells me there is still a chance he may become a Gopher. But, the sway of the other programs on his list might be more significant.

I wish him the best of luck.

A good another emotional hissy fit about people should talk about on a message board thread.

You're now complaining about people discussing where Wyatt Gilmore might play in the future on a Wyatt Gilmore thread? Wow.
I think people wouldn’t mind so much except a certain poster makes it a point to create hypothetical arguments out of nowhere on pretty much every topic.

To be clear, I don’t blame you for responding, and actually appreciate someone setting G4L straight, but I also understand why Crosby might be annoyed with the guy spamming every thread on this message board with his garbage.

Wyatt Gillmore, taking an official visit to Minnesota, tells me there is still a chance he may become a Gopher. But, the sway of the other programs on his list might be more significant.

I wish him the best of luck.
Yep, I hope he comes here and I don't think he'd waste in official if we weren't in contention.

I think he is really good (even better than his rating), so here's to hoping.

Yep, I hope he comes here and I don't think he'd waste in official if we weren't in contention.

I think he is really good (even better than his rating), so here's to hoping.
One important thing that he has to consider is his family and friends can watch him play at home. If he is that good, he goes to the NFL no matter where he goes.

I think people wouldn’t mind so much except a certain poster makes it a point to create hypothetical arguments out of nowhere on pretty much every topic.

To be clear, I don’t blame you for responding, and actually appreciate someone setting G4L straight, but I also understand why Crosby might be annoyed with the guy spamming every thread on this message board with his garbage.
This is 100% right. Thanks '92. Not directed at you, Bob. And a "hissy fit?" You ain't seen nothing. My hissy fits are usually much more intense than that.

There have been instate kids that went to P5 schools out of high school that the gophers never offered, why wouldn’t there be transfers that we wouldn’t offer?
Not the argument I'm making.

I'm strictly limiting to high school kids that we offered -- and that they may indeed have a reasonable expectation to be able to transfer back here. That's the opposite of what you're trying to force.

Top Bottom