Wow: Kirk Ciarrocca Takes OC Job at Rutgers

Wonder if this will change PJ's view of Schiano?
If PJ and Schiano have such a great relationship, is it at all possible that Schiano spoke with PJ prior to hiring Kirk?

The vitriol by some of you towards Kirk is almost comical. A guy gets hired by someone he used to work with, closer to home, for reportedly significantly more money and he is what? Supposed to say no? Please.

well, I don't see a separate thread on this, so someone has to ask the Big Question?

WTF is going on at MN?

three assistant coaches leaving in the same week? right after Burns leaves for a HC job. that's 4 assistant coaches leaving - including one coordinator.

Is it money?

does it have something to do with personalities?

Look, Haley and Haynes each had prior relationships with the HC's who hired them. Burns got a shot at being a HC. those are understandable.

But Kirk C. making a lateral move - to a less successful program? Yes, he worked with Schiano before - but that was 12 years ago.

I have no inside information. just human experience of working at various jobs.

So I will just say this. all things being equal, you are less likely to leave a job that you like or a situation that you're happy with. you are more likely to leave if you don't like your current situation, or you think you can do better somewhere else. And - Fleck's new contract included higher pay for assistant coaches, so that makes money less likely as an issue.

Somebody - Fleck - Coyle - somebody - needs to be asking some questions about what is going on.

in closing - I will be watching the portal very closely to see if all of the coaching changes have an impact on the Gophers' roster.
Yeah, something is f’d up here. Three horizontal moves is a big problem. I don’t think Kirk is particularly good OC but the turnover is a problem.

Well..........Ciarrocca had a great run the first time here and QB Morgan was at one time projected as a first round draft pick. Since then Ciarrocca was bounced out of Penn St. after one year and the Gopher offense did not impress too much this year. Morgan regressed and will probably not be drafted at all.

We can do better!!!! (we can also do worse, too lol.) Let's get the right guy that first and foremost wants to be here and isn't going to want to leave after a year.

LOTS OF GUYS OUT THERE THAT COULD DO BETTER -- LET'S JUST GET THE RIGHT GUY.

One of Fleck's many 'ism's' is that the offensive coordinator should always be the QB coach. Given how stongly he holds his beliefs, I don't think that Simon will get the job.
That's a good point, clearly how the Mike Sanford incident came about. Presumably narrows down the candidate pool, too. Not always a good thing.

If PJ and Schiano have such a great relationship, is it at all possible that Schiano spoke with PJ prior to hiring Kirk?

The vitriol by some of you towards Kirk is almost comical. A guy gets hired by someone he used to work with, closer to home, for reportedly significantly more money and he is what? Supposed to say no? Please.
Have the character not to come back to Minnesota after you’ve already left once if you’re not going to stay more than a year or two. I wouldn’t talk to the guy again if I was Fleck. Don’t take the job, get a job on the East coast. He just fucked Fleck over big time. Fleck will say the right things, but he’s done with Ciarocca.

WTF. Why would you make that move? Especially when PJ took you back a 2nd time.
Maybe PJ has too much influence and doesn't allow him creativity? Perhaps PJ overruled plays in some of these games (Purdue/Iowa etc.) and he thought that might change when he came back this go round, but it didn't?

Seems like it has to be something like this for him to leave AGAIN!

Maybe PJ has too much influence and doesn't allow him creativity? Perhaps PJ overruled plays in some of these games (Purdue/Iowa etc.) and he thought that might change when he came back this go round, but it didn't?

It’s the location and the familiarity with Schiano and Rutgers. It’s 100% that and he’s an ass. Good riddance.

or he is just a coach who has been at 15 different stops in a 33 year coaching career (average stop of 2-3 years) who has never been at a place more than 6 years.
Has never been at an FBS place more than 4

I doubt he hates working for PJ
He is a mover and he has been PJ’s OC for 8 years.

I think this could be a very important time in PJ’s tenure as head coach at Minnesota. Does he stick with the same type of status quo offensive philosophy or does he realize the same thing that Saben and Smart did several years ago? That to compete on an elite level you have to open up the playbook to be more creative and explosive. While I wouldn’t pitch a fit if he hired internal with Simon, it would signal to me that we will continue with the same basic philosophy. Now that isn’t all bad. It gets us 8-9 wins almost every year and I’m happy overall…..for now. However, I’d also like to see us compete at the top of this conference, which is about to get tougher with the addition of USC and UCLA. I think PJ needs to find someone very creative, possibly with NFL experience, who can open things up, at least much more than what we do now. Just my opinion which doesn’t mean much I know.

While I agree with the sentiment....Saban and Smart bring in top talent at every position. It's easy to say that we want an explosive....big play offense. It's hard to actually field an offense with that kind of talent from top to bottom. Not saying it's impossible. If AK is as good as we hope he could be....there's certainly a possibility for the Gophers to have an exciting offense. But we need receivers who can get themselves open.....and a line that can give AK sufficient time. I think we've got some real potential at receiver. The o-line is a bigger question. While the run blocking was really solid this year....the pass blocking was a giant issue.

I support Matt Simon. Matt has taken some hits, being passed over twice. It’s his time now.

Matt’s loyalty matches the Gophers culture.

If Kirk doesn’t get the Rutgers job, he needs to be out anyway. He has done a good job but we can do better.

No way it was a short term deal. It’s an asshole move and Ciarocca can suck it. Lost all respect for the man. Don’t come back if you don’t want to be here. PJ must of got snowed. I wouldn’t talk to the guy if I was Fleck. I’d say you’re dead to me, get the hell out.
Holy cow.

Why is it any different than when he left the first time for Penn St? For all you/I know, his family was begging him to get back east?

I’d cut him a little slack at least.

One of Fleck's many 'ism's' is that the offensive coordinator should always be the QB coach. Given how stongly he holds his beliefs, I don't think that Simon will get the job.
Until he left for PSU, the only OC that Fleck had had as a head coach was Kirk C.

So, the whole “has to be the QB coach” thing always struck me as a cheap excuse that Fleck came up with to try to justify the cronyism of hiring Sanford.

Those trying to hold lack of passing game against Simon:

did you hold very poor defensive play by LB’s in 2018 against Rossi, before Robb Smith was fired and Rossi was hired?

Those trying to hold lack of passing game against Simon:

did you hold very poor defensive play by LB’s in 2018 against Rossi, before Robb Smith was fired and Rossi was hired?
Would be pretty strange to considering he was the DL coach

If it was an interim hire like it was for Rossi I would think Simon would get the interim tag with no questions from anyone

or he is just a coach who has been at 15 different stops in a 33 year coaching career (average stop of 2-3 years) who has never been at a place more than 6 years.
Has never been at an FBS place more than 4

I doubt he hates working for PJ
He is a mover and he has been PJ’s OC for 8 years.
Yes and movers tend to follow the money.

Holy cow.

Why is it any different than when he left the first time for Penn St? For all you/I know, his family was begging him to get back east?

I’d cut him a little slack at least.
It’s different because he left once and decided to come back and then leaves after one season. It’s a weasel move that shows a lack of character and commitment. Don’t take the job if you want to be on the East coast. I’m sure he said all the right things to PJ, or maybe Fleck made a mistake. It’s a sleazy move. I’d of been fine if he never came back. I was fine when he left for Penn St. But have some character. I’d never hire the guy if I was an FBS head coach anywhere after what he just did.

DL coach was Paup and then Panagos.

Rossi was LBs.
Even if he was LBs (he wasn’t) he was in his position for less than 10 games.

Simon is a great hire if he works out. Based on what I’ve seen, I don’t want anybody who has been running this bad offense the last 3 years to be running it next year. Especially at the largest position of weakness. But that’s just me.
If we hire Simon, I hope he succeeds.

I don’t know what would be better for the board:

Option 1: Simon gets the job and his fanboys finally shut up about him

Or

Option 2: Simon doesn’t get the job and it’s a total meltdown

Both would be nice in very different ways.

It’s different because he left once and decided to come back and then leaves after one season. It’s a weasel move that shows a lack of character and commitment. Don’t take the job if you want to be on the East coast. I’m sure he said all the right things to PJ, or maybe Fleck made a mistake. It’s a sleazy move. I’d of been fine if he never came back. I was fine when he left for Penn St. But have some character. I’d never hire the guy if I was an FBS head coach anywhere after what he just did.
Fleck just got out from beneath the anchor of Sanford, sees KC sitting there at WV as an analyst, and makes him a deal? “Hey, how about this, come back here, work with Tanner again, get back on your feet as a play caller. If you get another opportunity out East, I’ll support you and wish you best of luck.”

How do you know it wasn’t like that?

I made that up out of thin air, mind you. I’m just asking you to be at least a little bit open minded.

This offense looked great against Wisconsin.

Got some guys out there catching a ball.

Give me that every day and twice on Sunday. I’ll fan boy or fan girl all over the place, and do a jig on top of it for free.

This offense looked great against Wisconsin.

Got some guys out there catching a ball.

Give me that every day and twice on Sunday. I’ll fan boy or fan girl all over the place, and do a jig on top of it for free.
You know you have a bad WR corps when the brag is that the wideouts caught the ball lol

If it has happened once...
Gophers pick up new NIL sponsor...
shopping

Or, find a way to fabricate complaints about beating Wisconsin with 319 passing yards.

:sneaky:

Because of that TD at the end of the Rutgers game. He could have took a knee but instead rushed it in for a TD. I thought it was a dick move given that was his mentor. Schiano didn’t bat an eye but I’m guessing that stung a little bit?
Good lord no. Silly.

Top Bottom