Wow: Kirk Ciarrocca Takes OC Job at Rutgers

Internally, Matt Simon will get considered for the position.

He called the Outback Bowl against Auburn.
He also coached out wideouts the last 3 years and was co-OC for 2 of the last 3 if I’m not mistaken

I think the move should be to bring in a great offensive coach and give some autonomy. Not hire internally from 3 years of mediocre offense for a guy you’ve already passed on twice
I think passing on him for Sanford was a mistake. I don't claim to know a lot of details about him, but unless there's some HR hire, he deserves a shot.

Whoever it is I hope for AK's sake we don't get anymore turnover in the OC department.

That is if AK still has both his legs.

I think passing on him for Sanford was a mistake. I don't claim to know a lot of details about him, but unless there's some HR hire, he deserves a shot.
Simon has CoOC with Sanford
Probably 25-50% of that mess is on him. Especially since we haven’t developed a WR

Don’t get the Simon love.

Either promote Simon internally and hire a WR or QB coach with a proven track record of making their position better (or bare minimum not cause regression) or hire someone externally with a track record of making things better (or not regressing, bare minimum). The Sanford experiment did not go well and I don't want to repeat it.

I think this could be a very important time in PJ’s tenure as head coach at Minnesota. Does he stick with the same type of status quo offensive philosophy or does he realize the same thing that Saben and Smart did several years ago? That to compete on an elite level you have to open up the playbook to be more creative and explosive. While I wouldn’t pitch a fit if he hired internal with Simon, it would signal to me that we will continue with the same basic philosophy. Now that isn’t all bad. It gets us 8-9 wins almost every year and I’m happy overall…..for now. However, I’d also like to see us compete at the top of this conference, which is about to get tougher with the addition of USC and UCLA. I think PJ needs to find someone very creative, possibly with NFL experience, who can open things up, at least much more than what we do now. Just my opinion which doesn’t mean much I know.

If hiring outside, I'd give one/both of the co-OCs at Western Kentucky a look. Just doing some quick searching they have the highest ranked total offense of a non-P5 team for the 2022 season...

If hiring outside, I'd give one/both of the co-OCs at Western Kentucky a look. Just doing some quick searching they have the highest ranked total offense of a non-P5 team for the 2022 season...
One of them, Arbuckle, was hired to be the OC at Wazzou last month.

Soon there will be no internal candidates from whom to choose
But there is one guy still there, who deserves the opportunity to be OC every single iota as much as Rossi deserved the promotion to DC.

Matt Simon.

Fleck screwed the pooch in hiring Sanford. Can we trust him not to make the same mistake??

Simon is the correct choice.

WTF. Why would you make that move? Especially when PJ took you back a 2nd time.
Maybe it was always a short-term deal?

Got KC out of being an analyst in West Virginia and back in the OC game.

Clearly he (KC) and his family want to be out east. That's where they're from.

Also, the idea that Fleck will ever give the OC full "autonomy" is laughable.

This is Fleck's offense. Always has been and will be. No person on Earth is going to come in here and get Fleck's blessing to start throwing the ball 70% of the time. For example

Top Bottom