Wow: Kirk Ciarrocca Takes OC Job at Rutgers

Promoting Simon would be the exact same situation as promoting Rossi.

Most can see that, but I suspect you'll find a way to pretend like it makes no sense.
Nothing that you said here disagrees with anything I said

Is exactly the same as I've been saying, and what you disagreed with.

You're going in circles.

If Simon fails in 23, it won't be any more meaningful in 24 than Sanford's failure in 21 was.
It will if be he is still the OC

Not sure why you are arguing this hypothetical
You think he is going to fail? Why do you want him as OC then?

Pretty much guaranteed there was no bidding war. When the guy twice as been offered to move East and has wanted to do so, there was no reason to even try and change his mind. Time to move on and find stability.
Wasn't there a 3rd time in there with West Virginia where he was talked out of it maybe 1-2 years prior to the Penn State move?

Jedd Fisch is an NFL guy. I think this board would revolt if the Gophers hired him as an OC (again). Hiring someone based on pedigree rather than talent / fit is a bad policy.

If Fleck thinks that Simon can do the job then he's as good of a hire as any.
Compare Fisch to who we are competing with and I think we’ll come to the same conclusion.

1.7 M. Last tweet I saw that Rutgers 247 is reporting according to Fluguar tweet.

Right, which is why nobody held PSU against him. But Rutgers? Minnesota should be able to hold on to any coach that gets an offer from Rutgers. If the goal was always for him to move on then whatever, but if Minnesota lost a bidding war to the Scarlett Knights then that's pretty pathetic.
This story is from 2021 but if the 1.5 million figure is correct then it would put KC up near the top 10 highest paid assistant coaches in college football. Even if those numbers have gone up 1.5 probably still puts him in the top 15-20.

Not sure how Rutgers is able to pay that kind of money to their assistants but it isn't like we are offering up chump change to our coordinators.

1.7 M. Last tweet I saw that Rutgers 247 is reporting according to Fluguar tweet.
Good lord.....I like KC but I'm not sure he is worth anything close to 2 mil a year.

Coaching salaries are just insane with the way they have blown up and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

Good lord.....I like KC but I'm not sure he is worth anything close to 2 mil a year.

Coaching salaries are just insane with the way they have blown up and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
I have just ordered “How to be an Offensive Coordinator for Dummies”. I should be fully ready for the OC position at Minnesota by Tuesday. I could you use the pay raise.

I have just ordered “How to be an Offensive Coordinator for Dummies”. I should be fully ready for the OC position at Minnesota by Tuesday. I could you use the pay raise.
It really is like winning the lottery.

I would say it is based on the fact he was the play-caller in two game-winning bowls (Tampa, Phoenix) and that he's developed two 1st round draft pick WRs and has a couple more in the NFL, too.

I think it is likely that Fleck had more to do with the play calling in the two bowl games and developing the two 1st round WR draft picks than Simon. Fleck was a wide receiver and I have to believe he is closely involved with their development.

Most can see that, but I suspect you'll find a way to pretend like it makes no sense.
I don't agree. Rossi turned a failing defense into a very solid defense that pretty much saved the rest of the season for the Gophers. Whatever impact Simon had in the two bowl games in which he was interim OC doesn't compare with what Rossi accomplished as interim DC.

It’s actually everyone else who can’t have it both ways.

Either Rossi was a great hire and therefore the 2018 season before Smith was fired can’t be held against Rossi.

Or, it can be held against him and you therefore think Rossi was a bad hire (thus exposing yourself as being not honest or knowing very little about Gopher football).

Hiring Rossi proves that hiring Simon is correct.

If Fleck would not have done that, then sure, it would cut the legs off of hiring Simon.

But he did and it worked very well. So, it’s time to give a guy from Farmington his well deserved shot.
No one is making that argument...you are tilting at windmills as per usual.

No it wouldn't...just because you ignore facts doesn't mean they don't exist.

Rossi proved himself over multiple games after Smith was fired. Simon coached one game 3 years ago.

But sure exact same thing...if you ignore all context.

Look Simon may be the guy and he may be ready but your logic is atrocious.

Nebraska - whole new coaching staff
Wisconsin - whole new staff
Illinois- lose DC to #5 randed defense
Purdue - whole new staff
Iowa - kept there OC
Minnesota- lose OC of bottom 1/3 offense.

While i understand our disappointment and concern, the sky is hardly falling. I believe we will get better not worst.

No it wouldn't...just because you ignore facts doesn't mean they don't exist.

Rossi proved himself over multiple games after Smith was fired. Simon coached one game 3 years ago.

But sure exact same thing...if you ignore all context.

Look Simon may be the guy and he may be ready but your logic is atrocious.
As is the logic of the Simon haters. Blah blah blah he hasn't produced any WRs. Idiot logic for evaluating how someone will run an offense.

While i understand our disappointment and concern, the sky is hardly falling. I believe we will get better not worst.
This is my take as well. Many teams, even Georgia, Alabama etc lose coaches to other teams. I’d be worried if there was some scandal brewing behind the scenes but that just isn’t the case here. Burns got a head coaching job. What was he supposed to do? Say no to please us? Brick is not a big loss and can be replaced and the position improved. KC is a surprise but again, not the end of the world. As for Haynes, I think he could be the biggest loss but he has a history with Fickell. That’s easy to understand.

Let’s just hope PJ makes good decisions over the next few days.

I'm not a Simon hater...I just don't get why everyone assumes he will be awesome because he coached 1 game. If we hire him I hope he is HOF worthy!

None of us have any clue whether he is right or wrong.

I'm not a Simon hater...I just don't get why everyone assumes he will be awesome because he coached 1 game. If we hire him I hope he is HOF worthy!

Simon has been co-OC for three years. There's more to it than being the primary play-caller for one game.

Then stop replying to anyone who has an opinion that they think Simon will do well. As you said nobody knows, it's just their opinion.

Crazy part too is that once you are in you are in for life it seems. You will get fired multiple times but most of these guys seem to land on their feet somewhere and some guys like Sanford just manage to fail upwards into more money and new opportunities.

Just to clarify, Robb Smith was fired on Nov.4th. Rossi received the permanent DC position after the Wisconsin win on the 24th. He cleaned up a giant mess, but he was hired based on a 3-game sample size

Top Bottom