Women's Hockey 2023-24 Season -- Part 2: The Regular Season

Abbey Murphy finished the season with 31 goals, tops in the NCAA. Murphy is the regular season goals scoring leader.

Current Gophers gaining attention in international play.

Forward Josefin Bouvang has multiple goals for Sweden:

Defender Nellie Laitinen of Finland:

Forward Abbey Murphy:

Speaking of Abbey Murphy:

"Abbey Murphy is hockey’s next great pest: ‘There is truly no one like her’"

Defenders Chloe Primerano and Gracie Graham of Hockey Canada (U18) headed to Minnesota Gophers. Both shoot left:

Chloe Primerano: For the second straight year Primerano has been named the Female U18 Prep MVP Award Winner. It was a historic season for Primerano as she set single season Female U18 Prep records with 35 goals, 54 assists and 89 points, smashing the previous record of 63. Her 137 career points are third among all skaters and most among all defensemen. Primerano is committed to the University of Minnesota for next season after capturing MVP, Best Defender, Tournament Allstar and Leading Scorer honours at the 2024 U18 Women’s Worlds, where she set the record for most points by a defender at one U18 Women’s Worlds (16) and most points by a Canadian at one U18 Women’s Worlds

Graham finished second among defensemen and third among all skaters with 59 points in 29 games. The University of Minnesota commit has tallied 104 points in 81 games with RHA Kelowna over her three year career with the team. Graham has represented Team Canada twice at the U18 Women's World Championships, winning Gold in 2023 and bronze in 2024. This is her second individual CSSHL award, having been named the Top Freshman Award winner in 2021/22.

Defenders Chloe Primerano and Gracie Graham of Hockey Canada (U18) headed to Minnesota Gophers....

Gophers singing class also includes Minnesota Ms. Hockey Ayla Puppe too!!!

And Hockey Canada goaltender Hannah Clark!

And Minnetonka's Kendra Distad!

And Elk River's Carly Humphrey!

And Moorhead's Kate Kosobud!

Natalie Darwitz, former Gophers star player and assistant coach, is featured today in the Star Tribune for her work as PWHL - Minnesota's general manager:

Former Gopher TAYLOR HEISE with the winning goal over #1 seed Toronto. WHAT A SNIPE!!

Minnesota advances to the Walter Cup championship against Boston!

Heise was the #1 overall draft pick in the first PWHL draft.

Heise scored again on an empty netter.

Besides Taylor Heise and Grace Zumwinkle, two other former Gophers playing big roles for Minnesota include:

Lee Stecklein, a shutdown defensive player. She's probably USA's best shutdown defender.

Minnesota as a team usually plays good defense. Minnesota has a terrific penalty kill coach Mira Jalosuo who played for the Gophers and a star defender for Finland.

Kelly Pannek, another Gopher great from a golden era of winning, she does everything well. She was 3rd for points on the team this season. She has 3 assists in the playoffs.

Forward Abigail Boreen was a key contributor to Minnesota Gopher's high scoring attack offense that by far led the NCAA in scoring. She played in the PWHL playoff series against Toronto but not the championship series against Boston because she wasn't originally drafted, limits on her playing time.

Former Gophers playing for Boston

Forward Hannah Brandt:

Defense Emily Brown:

Forward Gigi Marvin:

Last edited:

You be the judge. Hard to say. Minnesota's winning goal was called off for interference with the goalie. If the player is pushed into the goalie it's not interference. Watch the replay.

Look at the Boston defender's stick. Did Boston pull down the Minnesota player?

Former Minnesota Gophers Taylor Heise named playoffs MVP. Heise had a shoulder injury part of the regular season and then turned it on in the playoffs. Several players were worthy including Michela Cava, very much a team effort including a strong defense.

Minnesota dominated Boston in the final game. Minnesota outshot Boston 44 to 17! You can watch the replay on YouTube. The Boston goaltender Frankel gave an amazing performance as Minnesota pelted her in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

I was strongly unhappy with the way the previous game ended on a called off winning Minnesota goal and Boston win, all those people at the game in Minnesota let down and smell of -- yet again -- another goal called off against an Eastern team like we've seen many times in the old WCHA men's hockey, new WCHA, and Big Ten. I was disgusted.

Today there's no dispute who the champion is. Minnesota opened a can of whoop-a**. Controversy gone.

Congrats to Boston for sweeping Montreal to get to the championship, a shocker. Boston played the championship series about even until the last game.

"Gopher alums Lauren Bench, Abigail Boreen, Taylor Heise, Amanda Leveille, Kelly Pannek, Lee Stecklein and Grace Zumwinkle were crowned as PWHL champions in the league's first season."

Leveille and Bench were reserve goaltenders and didn't play during the season. Boreen came in and out more than once as a player who wasn't drafted and has different collective bargaining contract terms, badically the next player in.

I will also add these names:

Assistant coaches Mira Jalosuo (penalty kill), Jake Bobrowski (assistant), and Brennan Poderzay (goaltenders) have ties to the Gophers. Jalosuo was a top defender in the world for Finland national team for many years and a defender for Minnesota Gophers. Jalosua probably was a significant reason for success in the postseason (100% penalty kill postseason) and to me a rising star in the world of defense-minded coaching -- actually has already arrived at the top. I don't know much about Bobrowski except he was an assistant coach with the Gophers and I'm guessing runs important work during practices, especially forwards/centers. Poderzay is a goaltenders coach for Gophers men's hockey.

General Manager Natalie Darwitz was a hockey great as a forward/center for Team USA and Minnesota Gophers. She also was an assistant coach for the Gophers.

The first coach Charlie Burggraf was a former assistant coach for Minnesota Gophers. He had been retired from coaching awhile and looks to me, kind of, a bit like an honorary appointment or to bring an initial style before stepping aside, or at least that's what the final result looks like to me personally. Former NHL defenseman and Team USA coach Ken Klee then came in.

Sorry if I'm missing anyone.

Last edited:

St
Natalie Darwitz was the ultimate person to start a Minnesota brand hockey team, from a targeted marketing viewpoint if Minnesota hockey is the appeal. Regardless of where the team heads, the team was stamped with that Minnesota appeal.

Other players see Kendall Coyne Shofield as is the reason for the championship this season and even the existence of the PWHL.

“The only reason this happened [winning a championship] from the players’ side is Kendall [Coyne Schofield]. Like legit the only reason, and she hates it (the attention),” [Kelly] Pannek said pointing a finger at Coyne Schofield following a Walter Cup-clinching 3-0 win over Boston in a decisive Game 5... Pannek added, as Coyne Schofield squirmed in her seat “But she has like seven other jobs on top of it, the biggest one being creating this league for all of us other player to play in.”

Curious how this plays out with fans immediately and over the next couple years.

New details emerge (at these two links). Some of the language sounds like it comes from an HR department or related communication.

Now backtracking, regardless of what comes next or who was right for what and when, the big success this year had at least part to do with Darwitz, a face of Minnesota hockey.

St. Paul Pioneer Press had a few quotes from Darwitz regarding the physical nature of PWHL play. She thought it was more physical than she anticipated it would be and that it intensified in the playoffs. Perhaps, the conflict between her, Klee, and the league centered around that philosophy. I really don't know. But, that is the first time I had heard any comments like that.

Zumwinkle Wins Rookie of the Year

Former Minnesota Gophers Grace Zumwinkle has been named PWHL Rookie of the Year. Way to go!!!!! You worked so hard for it!

14,000+ girls/young adults play hockey in Minnesota. What an inspiration to them and simply everyone. Congrats to the other nominees too!

Minnesota PWHL in the draft passed over former Gophers Abby Boreen and current PWHL team member who scored 5 points in 9 games part-time for Minnesota

In the third round, Montreal called a timeout. The crowd waited and watched. Why did they need to rethink?

Montreal then made their pick: Abby Boreen.

Minnesota passed on Boreen two picks before. "Why is Boreen even available? Minnesota was to take her," is maybe what they thought, I have no way to know.

Minnesota instead drafted Klara Hymlárová. Hailey Salvian of The Athletic (New York Times) wrote: "Biggest surprise: Klára Hymlárová (Round 3), a.k.a. not drafting Abby Boreen... Instead of grabbing Boreen — who they know worked well on the top line with Taylor Heise — Minnesota reached a bit on Hymlárová."

I saw Boreen walk to the stage. The first look on her face was... I'm not sure.... the look when you you are no longer part of your homestate team you are a member of but now you're not. And then she looked happy on the stage. It will be a good experience for her to play for Montreal, new great memories.

Last draft, GM Natalie Darwitz went with the Minnesota theme. Many players were from Minnesota. She's such a genius with how she built PWHL Minnesota. She probably made a misstep with her first coach choice but not nearly as big of a blunder as the second coach Ken Klee.

I wasn't going to post more about PWHL, I'm withdrawing. But after Zumwinkle won the award plus Boreen passed over by Ken Klee...

And what did draft boss Ken Klee do with his draft? Not one player from Minnesota was drafted. I don't expect that, but I sensed a bit of a snub, maybe not. Passing on Boreen was a surprise, and it seems Montreal was caught by surprise.

The crowd booed loudly 2-3 times that night, "We want Darwitz! We want Darwitz." There were Darwitz signs, Darwitz jerseys. One women was wearing a Darwitz jersey that appeared to be autographed on the back by Darwitz.

Salvian described it as "the home team getting booed."

I wonder if some people see Darwitz as the GM in waiting (to return).

I wonder if she is.

Last edited:

Zumwinkle Wins Rookie of the Year

Former Minnesota Gophers Grace Zumwinkle has been named PWHL Rookie of the Year. Way to go!!!!! You worked so hard for it!

14,000+ girls/young adults play hockey in Minnesota. What an inspiration to them and simply everyone. Congrats to the other nominees too!

Minnesota PWHL in the draft passed over former Gophers Abby Boreen and current PWHL team member who scored 5 points in 9 games part-time for Minnesota

In the third round, Montreal called a timeout. The crowd waited and watched. Why did they need to rethink?

Montreal then made their pick: Abby Boreen.

Minnesota passed on Boreen two picks before. "Why is Boreen even available? Minnesota was to take her," is maybe what they thought, I have no way to know.

Minnesota instead drafted Klara Hymlárová. Hailey Salvian of The Athletic (New York Times) wrote: "Biggest surprise: Klára Hymlárová (Round 3), a.k.a. not drafting Abby Boreen... Instead of grabbing Boreen — who they know worked well on the top line with Taylor Heise — Minnesota reached a bit on Hymlárová."

I saw Boreen walk to the stage. The first look on her face was... I'm not sure.... the look when you you are no longer part of your homestate team you are a member of but now you're not. And then she looked happy on the stage. It will be a good experience for her to play for Montreal, new great memories.

Last draft, GM Natalie Darwitz went with the Minnesota theme. Many players were from Minnesota. She's such a genius with how she built PWHL Minnesota. She probably made a misstep with her first coach choice but not nearly as big of a blunder as the second coach Ken Klee.

I wasn't going to post more about PWHL, I'm withdrawing. But after Zumwinkle won the award plus Boreen passed over by Ken Klee...

And what did draft boss Ken Klee do with his draft? Not one player from Minnesota was drafted. I don't expect that, but I sensed a bit of a snub, maybe not. Passing on Boreen was a surprise, and it seems Montreal was caught by surprise.

The crowd booed loudly 2-3 times that night, "We want Darwitz! We want Darwitz." There were Darwitz signs, Darwitz jerseys. One women was wearing a Darwitz jersey that appeared to be autographed on the back by Darwitz.

Salvian described it as "the home team getting booed."

I wonder if some people see Darwitz as the GM in waiting (to return).

I wonder if she is.

Surprise updates on former Gophers Amanda Kessel and Abby Boreen drafted Monday, the stories continue:

Gophers defender Madeline Wethington was drafted by Ottawa, they got a steal. She's excited to play there. Minnesota PWHL passed on her too.

Wethington was WCHA Rookie of the Year and most recently All-WCHA Third Team.

Wethington previously was Minnesota Ms Hockey.

The PWHL has a severe glut of goaltenders. That makes the available former Gophers goaltenders longshots to make a team, such as Lucy Morgan.

Gophers defender Madeline Wethington was drafted by Ottawa, they got a steal...

Hailey Salvian and Scott Wheeler at The Athletic (New York Times) rated Madeline Wethington the #16 prospect. IAN KENNEDY at The Hockey News had her #25. She fell to the last round at #38

Ken Klee of PWHL Minnesota passed on her. She fell in the draft. My guess is she was given a draft space to Minnesota, teams stayed away. Ken Klee passed.

In the last round, Ottawa stepped in and grabbed her when they saw Ken Klee was passing on her, making her fall in the draft.

Thanks again Ken Klee.

Hailey Salvian called the Wethington pick the "biggest surprise" for Ottawa.

"I did not have Wethington as a seventh-round pick in any of my projections. She was a minutes-eating top-pair defender at the University of Minnesota and played around 27 per night — including more than 60 in a thrilling 4OT loss to Clarkson in the NCAA tournament. She has size (5-foot-10) and is a solid two-way defender. That she was available at No. 38 was a little surprising."

The consensus of reviews I've read is Ken Klee had the worst draft. Worst in the PWHL.

Last season a Minnesota hockey icon WOMEN built an amazing Minnesota brand that brought the fans in big. She built a championship team that included the input of many people, players, staff, and yes Ken Klee coaching. That was the Darwitz era.

She built that with Minnesota-core players. They won it all. It was working before. Allegedly there were clashes and issues -- but look at what was achieved. And then look at now, fans booing.

This is a women's sport you know. A lot of fans are REALLY into the woman part of this.

Natalie Darwitz needs to return. What happened is not OK. When you've had it with Ken Klee, she's back.

Natalie Darwitz is our state WOMAN icon and it's not okay what you did to her.

Fans are booing the home team. It was the opposite way under Natalie Darwitz.

Headline: Ken Klee causes former Minnesota Ms Hockey to fall in draft to last round.

That's Ken Klee -- again.

WCHA team Ohio State -- national champions -- had the most top players selected in the draft.

That included Hannah Bilka at 4th overall, Cayla Barnes at 5th overall, and then a run of Ohio State players down the line.

Minnesota Gophers Report

Minnesota in last offseason lost Taylor Heise, Grace Zumwinkle, Abby Boreen and most of their scoring production to graduation. Both Heise and Zumwinkle won awards as pros in season one.

With the new recruiting class coming in plus players coming up, Gophers will outmatch everyone soon. Minnesota is loaded with talent. If Ohio State and Wisconsin are loaded with talent now, then the Minnesota Gophers are next in line which is about... now?

Last edited:

Top Bottom