Who are you cheering for in the Rose Bowl

Who do you want to see win the Rose Bowl

• Wisconsin-I cheer for the big ten no matter what in bowl games

Votes: 48 29.1%
  • TCU-F bucky no matter what at all times.

Votes: 117 70.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is this a trick question? Better dead than red. Death to Bucky!

To go to one school and still be a fan of the school you grew up loving is a textbook case of being fair weather. It's like getting married and still dating your high school girlfriend. "Look, I married you, but I grew up loving her. It would be fair weather of me if I stopped dating her just because I am married to you." Alma mater matters. We all make choices in life.

I'm not sure the folks in this thread understand the definition of Fair Weather Fan. It has nothing to do with where you grew up or where you went to school, but rather whether your fandom wanes when the going gets tough. From the Urban Dictionary:

Fair Weather Fan: A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble.

You may be searching for the terms turncoat fan or lukewarm fan, but fair weather doesn't fit. gopheralum is certainly not a fair weather fan to the Badgers. It doesn't sound like he is a fan of the Gophers at all - nothing says an alum has to support that school, especially with a pre-existing loyalty. A diploma is not a marriage certificate, after all.

Similarly, jjgopher is not a fair weather fan, he just changed allegiances. He didn't change because the Badgers were losing (the definition of a fair weather fan), but for some other reason.

You may now return to bickering, but please use accurate phrases to denigrate each other.:cool02:

It doesn't sound like he is a fan of the Gophers at all - nothing says an alum has to support that school, especially with a pre-existing loyalty. A diploma is not a marriage certificate, after all.

A diploma is analogous to a marriage certificate. Nothing says an alum has to support that school? Since when? When you grow up as a fan of one school, and choose to go to that school's rival, you essentially divorce your original allegiance. Some people seem to forget that the university's teams don't just represent themselves, they represent the university itself. It doesn't mean you have to hate the school you previously were a fan of, it just means that you can't respectably root for that school over your alma mater.

I went to ASU because my family had moved to Arizona when I was in junior high. It was convenient and cheap. I feel no attachment to it whatsoever.

There are no rules to who you can be a fan of. Enjoy watching the team you like.

A diploma is analogous to a marriage certificate. Nothing says an alum has to support that school? Since when? When you grow up as a fan of one school, and choose to go to that school's rival, you essentially divorce your original allegiance. Some people seem to forget that the university's teams don't just represent themselves, they represent the university itself. It doesn't mean you have to hate the school you previously were a fan of, it just means that you can't respectably root for that school over your alma mater.

I disagree with this. You may choose a school because it has the best program in the field you are interested in. That doesn't mean you want to be a fan of their teams and going there shouldn't lock you into that. That's silly. I have plenty of respect for anyone who goes to a school and remains a loyal and true fan of their original team when the school they attend is a rival. That's tough to do. I do not respect the folks who are Gopher fans until the Border Battle game. That's the "lukewarm" fan stuff that is silly. And if the school you attend is not a rival then I don't think it matters (even within the same conference). That's just my opinion.

I have plenty of respect for anyone who goes to a school and remains a loyal and true fan of their original team when the school they attend is a rival.

And I have only contempt for such people.

Fair enough, but what you're saying is that your allegiance for a college sports team should trump everything else, even choices about academics. That's not a very logical position to me. A completely understandable, passionate, overriding hatred to be sure. But not very logical.

I also don't get why you'd have contempt for someone who maintains their allegiance in the face of pure stupidity and hatred when the easy way out would be to switch over to the other side.

But do you cheer for American League in the World Series? Most fans with an American league team do. Unless its the Yanks

I'm a big baseball fan and I've never heard anyone say they cheer for a certain team in the world series just because their favorite team plays in the same league. Honestly, I don't think it's ever crossed my mind.

Wisconsin winning this game would not help us or hurt us much, if it all. Therefore, I want them to lose by 50.

Fair enough, but what you're saying is that your allegiance for a college sports team should trump everything else, even choices about academics. That's not a very logical position to me. A completely understandable, passionate, overriding hatred to be sure. But not very logical.

I'm not saying that. You are. I'm saying the opposite. A college sports team is not a separate entity from the university that it represents. It's different with pro sports, as there the state and the team are totally separate entities. A professional team can be moved to another state, for example. But being going to one school while being a fan of that school's rival is to treat the college sports team as if it the team and the college is unrelated. It's like liking your hand but hating your arm, not realizing the connection between them.

I also don't get why you'd have contempt for someone who maintains their allegiance in the face of pure stupidity and hatred when the easy way out would be to switch over to the other side.

The easy way is often the best way. For example, it's easier to drive on the correct side of the freeway. That doesn't mean that it is admirable to drive in the wrong side of the freeway just because it is harder. You might also note that I don't agree that your assessment of the principle that alma mater matters as "pure stupidity".

I think you take sports a little too seriously.

"Respectable" is rooting for your alma mater.

"Respectable" is not trolling Gopher message boards constantly as a Badger fan.

"Respectable" is learning how to spell the word absurd.

How was the poster being fair weather? He realized how much cheering for the Badgers sucks and he now cheers for the Gophers. That is called "being smart."

Yeah, my bad on the spelling of absurd. Guess that U of M education failed me ;) So now it's smart to root for a losing football program? Please. Believe me, I root for the Gophers against the Badgers that one time of the year in football and twice in basketball. Of course I cheer for the baseball team. Other than that it's all Badgers baby. I understand if you don't like it, but you're going to have to get over it.

I'm a big baseball fan and I've never heard anyone say they cheer for a certain team in the world series just because their favorite team plays in the same league. Honestly, I don't think it's ever crossed my mind.

Wisconsin winning this game would not help us or hurt us much, if it all. Therefore, I want them to lose by 50.

I agree on all points except I'd rather have Wisc. lose by 60.

P.S. The National League is the better league, so despite my love for the Twins, I almost never root for the American League teams. This year was rare since I hate the Giants.

Yeah that's it. I'm not loyal to the team I grew up loving. I'm a coward. How about you stay loyal to the University you attended.

I love the U of M and always will. However when I compare 20+ years of being a fan of one team vs. 5 years of another at age 18-22, I will stick to my roots.

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#em Bucky!

I'm not saying that. You are. I'm saying the opposite. A college sports team is not a separate entity from the university that it represents. It's different with pro sports, as there the state and the team are totally separate entities. A professional team can be moved to another state, for example. But being going to one school while being a fan of that school's rival is to treat the college sports team as if it the team and the college is unrelated. It's like liking your hand but hating your arm, not realizing the connection between them.

So all the kids who don't care about sports are also wrong? Sports are a gateway to the school. In my opinion, they are one of the most important and most visible portions of a school. But they are not THE SCHOOL. Last time I checked you didn't have to be a fan of the football team to graduate with your Chemistry degree.

The road analogy is pretty off the mark. There is no law that says you have to be a Badger fan if you go to UW. Just like driving the right way on the road isn't simply a widely held social convention. They aren't equivalent in any way.

I love the U of M and always will. However when I compare 20+ years of being a fan of one team vs. 5 years of another at age 18-22, I will stick to my roots.

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#em Bucky!

So you're a Badger fan. Got it. Glad you stopped pretending you can have it both ways. EDIT: Just saw your other post and found that no, you still think you can have it both ways.

So all the kids who don't care about sports are also wrong? Sports are a gateway to the school. In my opinion, they are one of the most important and most visible portions of a school. But they are not THE SCHOOL. Last time I checked you didn't have to be a fan of the football team to graduate with your Chemistry degree.

I never said nor implied that you did. The sports teams are secondary to the school itself.

The road analogy is pretty off the mark. There is no law that says you have to be a Badger fan if you go to UW. Just like driving the right way on the road isn't simply a widely held social convention. They aren't equivalent in any way.

The point was that being more difficult doesn't mean it is admirable.

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# the badgers. It's as simple as that. Screw long term history, everyone should be thinking in recent terms, i.e. going for two against us. Go TCU.

Better Dead Than red.

F you Becky. GO FROGS!!!!

Hey Gopheralum, if the Gophers and the Badgers had their success flip flopped over the last 20 years, who would you root for? Of course you are going to say the Badgers, but would you really?

TCU, its not even close. Nothing would make my New Years like seeing Bucky getting drilled in Pasedena.

A diploma is analogous to a marriage certificate. .

This has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on any message board. Really? REALLY? How does your spouse feel about this statement? Is transferring from one college to another analogous to a divorce? Would you not date someone who switched schools because they are obviously cheaters? Because you graduate from one school, you can't cheer for another? What do the poor SOBs from the University of Chicago do? What do you do in sports your marriage-partner-university doesn't sponsor?

I am a huge sports nut and very loyal to my school, but you, sir, need to take a big step back and hope that step gets you into reality.

Would you really have contempt for a lifetime Gopher fan who maintained his fanhood even if he went to school in Madison? Would you really think less of them as a fan for NOT becoming a fan of the Badgers? I would respect someone for maintaining their loyalty even in the heart of enemy territory.
Yeah, my bad on the spelling of absurd. Guess that U of M education failed me ;) So now it's smart to root for a losing football program? Please. Believe me, I root for the Gophers against the Badgers that one time of the year in football and twice in basketball. Of course I cheer for the baseball team. Other than that it's all Badgers baby. I understand if you don't like it, but you're going to have to get over it.

This just makes no sense to me. You are a fan of the Badgers, yet you would prefer they lose to their biggest rival? Even if you did go to the U, I can't imagine being such a fan. Rivalry games are the times when fans most staunchly support their team; little is more satisfying as a Gopher fan than a win over Wisconsin, it is the best win of the season, short of beating a top 5 ranked Ohio State team or something, but even then, a win over a rival means so much more than a win over anyone else.

I am still trying to comprehend the thought of being a fan of a team, and then wanting them to LOSE the one game that every other fan wants them to WIN most of all. Are there Ohio State fans who want to be beaten by Michigan? Are there Alabama fans who want to lose to Auburn? Are there Duke fans who want to be trumped by North Carolina?

And even if Minnesota does beat Wisconsin like you say you want them to, is the win even that enjoyable? There's no hardcore Gopher fan in you to rejoice in beating a rival.

1993 must have been just a great year; a Rose Bowl win and a loss to Minnesota. Nuthin' better.

It is a sacrilege that TCU is even playing in the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl people are nuts to give up their Pac 10-Big 10 matchup for any reason.

There used to be 4 bowls that matter, now there is 1. The BCS totally sucks.

I can't believe I have to ask this...WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between CHEERING FOR a team and WANTING THEM TO WIN?!?!

(I apologize for the CAPS).

Might as well hop into the shouting match again. But this quote from Jim Delaney on Adam Rittenburg's Blog yesterday sums up why I would prefer Wisconsin win, and win big.

Rittenburg:
The Big Ten still benefits from the BCS more than any other league, sending two teams to BCS bowls in each of the past six seasons. But if you don't think it stings Delany or his constituents every time they lose the traditional Big Ten-Pac-10 matchup in Pasadena, you're dead wrong.

Asked about the chances for further access loosening with the Rose Bowl, Delany was crystal clear.

"I don't think there would be any support in our group, any support to doing anything more than what’s been done," he said. "Any support. That's not a negotiating point. That's simply a fact. ... Everybody has something that’s really important to them and they protect it.

"If you are defending what you're doing, it doesn’t resonate in the same way as somebody who might be attacking it. That doesn’t mean it's not true."

Delany brought up an interesting point: What if in 1995, a Northwestern program that ended decades of futility by winning the Big Ten, couldn't go to the Rose Bowl because of a BCS access change? He also used a more recent example of a team denied access.

"I know that Stanford will push hard not to see this happen to their team again," Delany said. "Under normal circumstances, the Stanford Cardinal could replace Oregon in the Rose Bowl. Can you imagine how it feels at Stanford? They love the Orange Bowl, but [the Rose Bowl] is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for those kids."
What if the Gophers were eligible to go to the Rosebowl and they couldn't because TCU won and the Non AQ's get even more political power and say in the Rose Bowl?

So I want Wisconsin to win for the Big 10.

It is a sacrilege that TCU is even playing in the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl people are nuts to give up their Pac 10-Big 10 matchup for any reason.

There used to be 4 bowls that matter, now there is 1. The BCS totally sucks.

I have no complaints with the current set up. If a Big10 or Pac10 team wins their conference, they play in the Rose Bowl (unless they play in the NC game). If Stanford wanted to play in the RB, they should have beaten Oregon. If we took second in the Big10, I would be fine playing in the Orange Bowl. You don't deserve the Rose Bowl if you don't win your conference (like Illinois a few years ago).

Top Bottom