What to do with Tanner Morgan

TM’s health comes first. He has a post football life ahead of him. He is a high quality man with a bright future.

Agreed. If there is even the slightest concern about his health, he should not play against PSU. This game is one that most people would have marked "L" for the Gophers in preseason. The worst that can happen is another loss but that's not as bad if you expect it going into the game. After this game, the schedule gets easier.

Time to see the Greek Freak! I hope the kid is fast and elusive. Playing behind that OL and getting your first start at PSU white out is probably more than most Redshirt freshmen can take!

Time to see the Greek Freak! I hope the kid is fast and elusive. Playing behind that OL and getting your first start at PSU white out is probably more than most Redshirt freshmen can take!
That should be fun.

No kidding. If they allow him to run when he's pressured it'll add a lot to an offense that crumbles when they take away the run and/or blitz.

I
No kidding. If they allow him to run when he's pressured it'll add a lot to an offense that crumbles when they take away the run and/or blitz.
I would assume that they will start Kramer, he has more experience.

I

I would assume that they will start Kramer, he has more experience.
If Morgan is out I think it will come down to whichever QB looks to have the best handle on the gameplan during the week. I doubt that Kramer's limited experience edge will have much of a factor. Athan is the heir apparent and there really isn't much doubt there so I think if they feel he can handle the moment, he will be the one under center.

Reading between the lines a bit but Fleck pretty much said in his presser this morning that as long as Morgan is cleared by the medical staff by Thursday, he will be the starter this week. But it's in the medical staff's hands currently.

He also said Morgan was cleared to fly back with the team on Saturday, and woke up feeling good on Sunday.

Reading between the lines a bit but Fleck pretty much said in his presser this morning that as long as Morgan is cleared by the medical staff by Thursday, he will be the starter this week. But it's in the medical staff's hands currently.

He also said Morgan was cleared to fly back with the team on Saturday, and woke up feeling good on Sunday.
That is a fast recovery from a concussion.

Well, he looks to be about 150 pounds if that, so hope he can handle some of the big boys Penn State will throw at him.

I'm not in the bench morgan, morgan sucks, camp. But if there is ANY doubt, he should sit. I'd rather PJ be overly cautious with head injuries to any player.

Morgan will start if he is healthy.
Has he been good? Nope, but my guess is that he is still the better option right now. Honestly, I hope the young kid can be a stud, but I doubt he is ready yet to go into Happy Valley and even compete. Most likely he gets sacked 5-7 time and throws 2-ish picks.

As excited as all of us are to see Athan in action, on the road at a place like PSU is far from an ideal spot for a first start. If Morgan is cleared to play I have no doubt he will be out there under center in that game.

As excited as all of us are to see Athan in action, on the road at a place like PSU is far from an ideal spot for a first start. If Morgan is cleared to play I have no doubt he will be out there under center in that game.

Agree 100%

I don't know the status of Morgan any more than other GHers. Nor do I know anything about the seriousness of Kramer's injury but he did dress at Illinois. If Morgan is not the call and PJ maintains his philosophy of a complimentary/game manager type of QB who is a good ball handler, decision maker, and can make the basic throws, Kramer's limited experience trumps the obvious gunslinger abilities of the Greek Rifleman. The PSU environment, 100,000+ fans, night game, whiteout is incredible pressure for anyone but particularly for the Illinois phenom. If PJ changes his mindset about what type of game it will be for the Gophers and goes heavy passing I may be persuaded to go with Athan, but I don't believe PJ will change his basic approach to BIG football.

That is a fast recovery from a concussion.
All concussions are different. I've been knocked out cold for 10 minutes while skiing, taken to the ER immobilized in a cervical collar, and felt fine to go to dinner 3 hours later. Skied the next day.

Others have been killed or had a TBI from the same scenario. This story isn't to suggest I'm some kind of tough guy. I was lucky and a couple inches the wrong way and I could be typing this from a wheelchair. Head injuries are weird and unpredictable. Some fade very quickly, others leave a lasting imprint. Only the doctors and Tanner can decide if he's ready this week. If he is, he starts.

Given the trip to the hospital for our assumption of concussion and the stepwise return to play protocol it seems very unlikely approaching impossible for Morgan to play. It’s been a tough Big Ten season for Morgan but he shouldn’t rush back too soon although that’s probably what he wants to do. For better or worse have to think we’ll get to see how the backup reacts under extreme scrutiny and pressure to perform.

Then again I thought Devito would be hobbled last game. That was some Miyagi-level training shi*.

Didn't you just see what Athan can do in that scenario that is hi-lited?

I'm a little confused here.
No confusion if you have watched PJ the past six years. He will not quickly replace his experienced quarterback without overwhelming evidence.

I'm not in the bench morgan, morgan sucks, camp. But if there is ANY doubt, he should sit. I'd rather PJ be overly cautious with head injuries to any player.
Medical staff makes the decision cleared / not cleared. If he is cleared he will start, same as a cornerback or guard.

Top Bottom