What to do with Tanner Morgan

This O line does not handle blitzes and stunts very well. See Bowling Green and Ill last year and Purdue and Ill this year. Hard to win if you can't give the QB a little time.
Agree with this. Morgan is a good QB when the running game is going and he can RPO and play action. If not or MN is behind, he's a bottom 5 starting QB in the B10. I hope hes ok, he had some great games in 2019 throwing bombs to Bateman and Johnson, and seems like one hell of a person.

After today, I'm just ready to move on from Morgan. There is nothing wrong in saying that.

Also, we lost the west today, so why not play for the future?

We literally can't pass the ball with Morgan anyway, so why not?
Morgan is hardly the only problem and I don’t know if we’ll see much of a difference with Athan but it’s worth trying.

Yes he’s far from the only problem I’d agree. But he has not been good since 2019.

Morgan is hardly the only problem and I don’t know if we’ll see much of a difference with Athan but it’s worth trying.
It was definitely a group failure today. The dropped passes by the WR corp is just awful. Wright just gave up on that last passing play of the game which led to the INT. Not that it mattered, but it’s certainly a symptom of a bigger problem with him. MBS could have had that ball that was a pick by the safety if he was more aggressive in catching the ball with his hands instead of trying to catch with his body. With that said, that ball was floated too much by Tanner to even give the safety a play on the ball. The drop by BSF where #30 knocked it away would have been an easy catch if Tanner led him to the sideline like he should have. The WR are not helping any, but good gravy when Tanner gets happy feet, he just cannot throw to save his life.

The way AK slings the ball, I’m not opposed to putting him out there in a more advantageous situation to see what he can do. Like others have said, he’ll get a lot of first team reps this week, whether Tanner plays against PSU or not.

Illinois is pretty good guys…I sure hope AK is great but chances are he’s not going to to be great at Penn State. Could be a bad to worse scenario. Some of you will get their wish as AK is going to get at least a one game tryout, maybe two+ to show the coaches he’s ready right now. Personally I look at next year as more of a rebuilding year. Needed to win now. Massive disappointment.

Illinois is pretty good guys…I sure hope AK is great but chances are he’s not going to to be great at Penn State. Could be a bad to worse scenario. Some of you will get their wish as AK is going to get at least a one game tryout, maybe two+ to show the coaches he’s ready right now. Personally I look at next year as more of a rebuilding year. Needed to win now. Massive disappointment.
Agree with all this
Hope we can pull off 8

Get northwestern and Rutgers

Great post. I'm excited for Athan while fully expecting him to throw at least two picks next week

Pretty sure he will by default. This might be the changing of the guard moment at QB for Gophs.
Might be the time. Sometimes it takes an injury for a team to move on to the next phase. Hope Tanner is Ok, he’s a good man.

AK in Happy Valley fot his first start will be a disaster

AK in Happy Valley fot his first start will be a disaster
Would be with Tanner, also. He threw for 20 some yards today.

Get his ears wet. What if he isn't the guy? you won't know until next year. Start seeing what you have.

The other thing to take into consideration here is that we lose Mo and our top center. Holy hell, what happens on offense. Let's get it going and find out if this is the guy.

Would be with Tanner, also. He threw for 20 some yards today.

Get his ears wet. What if he isn't the guy? you won't know until next year. Start seeing what you have.

The other thing to take into consideration here is that we lose Mo and our top center. Holy hell, what happens on offense. Let's get it going and find out if this is the guy.
I agree. Let the guy get some experience and see how he responds. He'll have Mo to fall back on.

You guys are high. This isn't the NFL. We don't get a better draft pick by playing younger players and losing more games. Play the guys that give you the best chance to win. At 4-2....it looks like the west may be lost. But after PSU.....we are looking at five games that we should win. Still have the ability to win 8 or 9 games in the regular season and get to a good bowl game.

You guys are high. This isn't the NFL. We don't get a better draft pick by playing younger players and losing more games. Play the guys that give you the best chance to win. At 4-2....it looks like the west may be lost. But after PSU.....we are looking at five games that we should win. Still have the ability to win 8 or 9 games in the regular season and get to a good bowl game.
How many more are you winning with Morgan than Athan?

I will maintain we are minimum 4-2 if Athan has started all year.

What if Athan isn't the guy. Do we wait until next year to find out?

How many more are you winning with Morgan than Athan?

I will maintain we are minimum 4-2 if Athan has started all year.

What if Athan isn't the guy. Do we wait until next year to find out?

Probably still 4-2 seeing as how we railroaded those first four teams. My entire thought on all this....is that Morgan is an accurate passer when he has time. These past couple of games....the protection has been TERRIBLE on passing downs. Not to mention that receivers are dropping balls. If Morgan was regularly missing receivers....I'd agree to try something else. But that's not the case.

I'd prefer not to throw our presumed QB of the future behind a line that's going to get him killed and turn him into Mertz West.

I wish TM a speedy recovery but hopefully will take him 3-4 weeks to heal 👍

Let’s play our future with AK and Knuth!

TM is iPhone X and AK is iPhone 14 Pro Max, people with iPhone X are content but scared to upgrade to iPhone 14 Pro Max 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

TM is iPhone X and AK is iPhone 14 Pro Max, people with iPhone X are content but scared to upgrade to iPhone 14 Pro Max 🤷🏻‍♂️

VwF92Pj.jpg

Probably still 4-2 seeing as how we railroaded those first four teams. My entire thought on all this....is that Morgan is an accurate passer when he has time. These past couple of games....the protection has been TERRIBLE on passing downs. Not to mention that receivers are dropping balls. If Morgan was regularly missing receivers....I'd agree to try something else. But that's not the case.

I'd prefer not to throw our presumed QB of the future behind a line that's going to get him killed and turn him into Mertz West.
The pass protection is terrible in part due to teams bringing more than we can block. Carroll has been bad also. When you have a statue back there, and they are sending more than can be blocked, with weak pass catchers, you've got massive issues. Maybe the new guy can offer something.

If we can't pass block, Morgan ain't doing shit anyway.

We shall see what happens. Maybe it will force us to scheme something to get an occasional open look. Maybe Athan goes out the backside for 20.

I just want to see the guy.

Also, if the defense wants to play like that, nothing matters.

I say 4-2 minimum, with a shot at 5-1.

At this point in the season, what's the downside? A shit Dec. 20 bowl, verses a shit Dec. 28 bowl?

The pass protection is terrible in part due to teams bringing more than we can block. Carroll has been bad also. When you have a statue back there, and they are sending more than can be blocked, with weak pass catchers, you've got massive issues. Maybe the new guy can offer something.

If we can't pass block, Morgan ain't doing shit anyway.

We shall see what happens. Maybe it will force us to scheme something to get an occasional open look. Maybe Athan goes out the backside for 20.

I just want to see the guy.

Also, if the defense wants to play like that, nothing matters.

You seem to be disagreeing.....but also agreeing that the main problem is the offensive line.

You seem to be disagreeing.....but also agreeing that the main problem is the offensive line.
I'm hoping Athan is not the statue Morgan is. We shall possibly see.

Let's find out.

If the main problem is the offensive line, that won't change. The receivers can't separate either. It's almost hopeless. A more active running qb may help slightly.

But again, I'm looking ahead here. We just lost the west, which was our goal today.

I'm hoping Athan is not the statue Morgan is. We shall possibly see.

Let's find out.

If the main problem is the offensive line, that won't change. The receivers can't separate either. It's almost hopeless. A more active running qb may help slightly.

But again, I'm looking ahead here. We just lost the west, which was our goal today.

My goal is to win as many games as possible. I have a hard time believing that Athan gives us a better chance to win. If Morgan plays....then that is the case.

My goal is to win as many games as possible. I have a hard time believing that Athan gives us a better chance to win. If Morgan plays....then that is the case.
Ok, we win one more game going forward with Morgan.

You go into next year not knowing a thing about Athan.

I want to know what we have in Athan. At least see him or a couple of games.

Top Bottom