What to do with Tanner Morgan

The coaches know more than a bunch of people on a message board. Lots of people making assumptions based upon nothing.
There are assumptions made on a message board?

I remember many assumptions being made that the passing game would be fine without Crab as others would step up and we have the veteran qb. I won't say who, though!

There are assumptions made on a message board?

I've wasted enough time responding to you. If Athan gives the Gophers a better chance to win, he'll start over Morgan.

I've wasted enough time responding to you. If Athan gives the Gophers a better chance to win, he'll start over Morgan.
I never said that though. I said I'm ready to check out the future with Athan since today was a death blow.

I've wasted plenty of time, also. Let's part ways on this.

It was definitely a group failure today. The dropped passes by the WR corp is just awful. Wright just gave up on that last passing play of the game which led to the INT. Not that it mattered, but it’s certainly a symptom of a bigger problem with him. MBS could have had that ball that was a pick by the safety if he was more aggressive in catching the ball with his hands instead of trying to catch with his body. With that said, that ball was floated too much by Tanner to even give the safety a play on the ball. The drop by BSF where #30 knocked it away would have been an easy catch if Tanner led him to the sideline like he should have. The WR are not helping any, but good gravy when Tanner gets happy feet, he just cannot throw to save his life.

The way AK slings the ball, I’m not opposed to putting him out there in a more advantageous situation to see what he can do. Like others have said, he’ll get a lot of first team reps this week, whether Tanner plays against PSU or not.
The key to beating this offense is to rattle Morgan. You are spot on. Once he gets popped, those happy feet are jumping around all over the place. Then his mechanics go out the window. He starts throwing behind guys and sailing balls.

I wish TM a speedy recovery but take 3-4 weeks to heal 👍

Let’s play our future with AK and Knuth!

TM is iPhone X and AK is iPhone 14 Pro Max, people with iPhone X are content but scared to upgrade to iPhone 14 Pro Max 🤷🏻‍♂️
Lots of assumptions there.
The problem is that as soon as you put Athan in, Knuth instantly becomes better than him. The backup is always the better QB. Plus Knuth is younger. Might as well get him reps now.

The key to beating this offense is to rattle Morgan. You are spot on. Once he gets popped, those happy feet are jumping around all over the place. Then his mechanics go out the window. He starts throwing behind guys and sailing balls.
That's pretty much the key to beating any QB. Even Mahomes looked bad in the super bowl when he had a trash OL.

That's pretty much the key to beating any QB. Even Mahomes looked bad in the super bowl when he had a trash OL.
if the o-line is trash, does trying a more mobile qb make sense?

It goes both ways on this argument. A QB that can run then the WR has a better chance of being open. A WR that can scoot can get open and makes the QB look better. I hope if the o-line continues to struggle they get more roll outs. I do think some bubble screens and quick slants would help as well. That’s weird to me to not see it at all because I swear KC ran them a lot with Tyler and Bateman?!?!

How many more are you winning with Morgan than Athan?

I will maintain we are minimum 4-2 if Athan has started all year.

What if Athan isn't the guy. Do we wait until next year to find out?
Morgan has been a winner and is still gives the team the best chance of winning. The receivers have stunk along with pass protection the past two weeks.

It goes both ways on this argument. A QB that can run then the WR has a better chance of being open. A WR that can scoot can get open and makes the QB look better. I hope if the o-line continues to struggle they get more roll outs. I do think some bubble screens and quick slants would help as well. That’s weird to me to not see it at all because I swear KC ran them a lot with Tyler and Bateman?!?!
Teams must be scheming to take the slant away because we were running them a lot early in the season but they have been MIA the past few games.

We also have been missing our best wideout the last two games
True, but would hope there would be others on the roster capable of running the slant even without CRAB.

True, but would hope there would be others on the roster capable of running the slant even without CRAB.
A lot easier to run the slants as the secondary receiver than the primary if you are physically overmatched

MBS being an afterthought is a better wideout than MBS being the top target to take away

Don’t disagree with you. Wideouts other than Wright not physically good enough. wright doesn’t seem to be emotionally good enough

This.

Which teams have beat us in the last few years ?

Bowling Green blitzed and stunted on every play.
Illinois has done it 2 years in a row. Iowa does it every year.

Look at what O'Donnell did yesterday when the huskers tried this yesterday. He got hit. BUT, he stepped into throws. He evaded the first blitzer.

Look at what the Utah QB did to USC when they blitzed every other play.

We are what we are with Morgan at QB.

He is a good QB when he is facing a normal 3 or 4 man pass rush that doesn't have an edge rusher that can shallow the pocket.

Against that, he is useless. Happy feet and he can't make the next read in time.

Pretty sure we will see Athan next week. What's known is his arm strength and ability to throw. In those situations where Morgan has to throw under pressure or make an awkward throw, his lack of arm strength shows up. Athan can make those throws. He has better legs as well. I think that helps tremendously with broken plays or when more time is needed. Is he raw? Sure, but probably less than we think.

Last edited:

if the o-line is trash, does trying a more mobile qb make sense?
Yes. Issue to me is that Morgan is hugely experienced and Athan is wet behind the ears. But if Athan can run a bootleg, or throw well on the run while rolling out, he can cover some of the OL defects. But he might not see the pre-snap things Tanner sees. Could be a “push.” Tanner, by the way, started as a RS Frosh, stepping into his role in mid-season. It worked out OK.

You guys are high. This isn't the NFL. We don't get a better draft pick by playing younger players and losing more games. Play the guys that give you the best chance to win. At 4-2....it looks like the west may be lost. But after PSU.....we are looking at five games that we should win. Still have the ability to win 8 or 9 games in the regular season and get to a good bowl game.
Penn St. did not look good at all the second half. They are certainly not out of reach.

I never said that though. I said I'm ready to check out the future with Athan since today was a death blow.

I've wasted plenty of time, also. Let's part ways on this.
It is not in any way a question of seeing what AK can do. The single issue is will Morgan be cleared to play. If yes, he starts. If no, the next guy up starts.

If Morgan is out and AK is lights out in the White Out, leading Gophers to a win, then there might be some discussion about who starts against Rutgers. A lot of ifs there.

Teams must be scheming to take the slant away because we were running them a lot early in the season but they have been MIA the past few games.
RPO slant is a one trick pony. Purdue took it away. Illinois watched film and took it away. Ciracca hasn't made adjustments.

But last two teams have played coverage right up close to LOS and been physical with our receivers.

77 needs to be replaced but irs not all the OL we need to scheme in some more hot routes, et al to make defenses pay when they blitz. Also, it won’t hurt when number eight takes off a couple of times on a readoption or even a scramble and hauls ass down the field the kid runs a sub 4.7 40 it’s gonna be a whole new ball game for us at quarterback relative to mobility.

It is not in any way a question of seeing what AK can do. The single issue is will Morgan be cleared to play. If yes, he starts. If no, the next guy up starts.

If Morgan is out and AK is lights out in the White Out, leading Gophers to a win, then there might be some discussion about who starts against Rutgers. A lot of ifs there.
Didn't you just see what Athan can do in that scenario that is hi-lited?

I'm a little confused here.

Morgan is going to play if he's healthy.

This is another dumb thread.

Top Bottom