What new stuff would you like to see at the bank?

I will forever die on the hill that the student section should be lower-level only, using up all of the bleacher seats around that endzone. Not sure how the numbers would compare but I always think students should be closer to the action.
Fair statement

I’ve had no problem with my data in the stadium for going on 6-7 years

Can’t remember the last time I’ve had issues
Though I can’t get service in my own basement RIP
I have T-Mobile 5g and I don't remember any problems.

I will forever die on the hill that the student section should be lower-level only, using up all of the bleacher seats around that endzone. Not sure how the numbers would compare but I always think students should be closer to the action.
I agree 100%. It is their golden time.

Might get more students as well. I'm onboard with this one 100%. No reason why this can't happen. People in the power on this board?

Sound system that somehow gets audio from band and cheerleaders better heard across the stadium.

The big screen fully used with graphics and stats...not a 60 forty mix with ads.

The plaza is very popular. If there was some way to elevate or slope it so you could see the field better...it could be a revenue source...Target Field has multiple viewing areas that are great social areas.

Some type of plaza/deck could be built on upper concourse visitor side as well.

More aspens, red oaks, sugar maples to create as much maroon and gold in autumn as possible.

A guest Rouser leader...like Cubs have for Take Me Out to the Ball Game

A Bernie Brewer type slide for Goldy.

Open up the bus transit way for controlled traffic post game or a transit way along the tracks, behind the elevators and Surly.

More tailgating by soccer dome, elevators.

Booking more concerts with season ticket holders getting first shot.

Season ticket holder gates, entrances.

Lowering prices for upper row second deck seating...

Last edited:

Sound system that somehow gets audio from band and cheerleaders better heard across the stadium.

The big screen fully used with graphics and stats...not a 60 forty mix with ads.

The plaza is very popular. If there was some way to elevate or slope it so you could see the field better...it could be a revenue source...Target Field has multiple viewing areas that are great social areas.

Some type of plaza/deck could be built on upper concourse visitor side as well.

More aspens, red oaks, sugar maples to create as much maroon and gold in autumn as possible.

A guest Rouser leader...like Cubs have for Take Me Out to the Ball Game

A Bernie Brewer type slide for Goldy.

Open up the bus transit way for controlled traffic post game or a transit way along the tracks, behind the elevators and Surly.

More tailgating by soccer dome, elevators.

Booking more concerts with season ticket holders getting first shot.

Season ticket holder gates, entrances.

Lowering prices for upper row second deck seating...
Wouldn't have to slope it, perhaps multiple tier levels? Although if it was sloped, perhaps you would have better viewing. Kind of like the Bud deck at Target Field as to multiple tiers.

Embracing the maroon and gold as to autumn or our colors is a great idea. You've had some other good points as well. Season ticket holder gates is used at Target Field for example.

I believe the drum major you are referring to is Aaron Marks. Singing the Anthem and Hail Minnesota was his thing when he was drum major. He did it at a ton of events as the drum major with a small ensemble of band instruments in tow.
No, Jim Mitchell sang it at every game at the Dome. They had him mic'd. He was a former drum major

Wouldn't have to slope it, perhaps multiple tier levels? Although if it was sloped, perhaps you would have better viewing. Kind of like the Bud deck at Target Field as to multiple tiers.

Embracing the maroon and gold as to autumn or our colors is a great idea. You've had some other good points as well. Season ticket holder gates is used at Target Field for example.
Bud deck is very popular way to hang out and watch a game...Twins have done a number of fun places to go within the stadium...25-35 year olds really seem to love these

I would die for the front row of the upper deck of the student section. I'd take those seats over the 50 yard line any day of the week.

I get surprisingly good AT&T cell coverage during games. Good enough to stream the game inside the stadium. I'd rather use cellular than public WiFi. Just switched a couple months ago from T-Mobile/Sprint which were super inconsistent during games in past years.
My Verizon is almost worthless in there.

I would die for the front row of the upper deck of the student section. I'd take those seats over the 50 yard line any day of the week.

I have always thought 50 yd line were the worst seats in he house. Never close to an actual score.

Same thing with hockey, I hate sitting at the red line.

Agreed. I'm sure there would be pushback/complaints from those people but give them two ticket upgrade cycles to move....announce it after the end of the year prior to upgrades. They have another full season to make the move plus another upgrade cycle. More than fair IMO

Students have been doing MUCH better.

But a while back that would have just meant empty lower level seats.

If you evict all those folks and then something happens and students don't show ... just gave away a lot of money / ill will ...

If big ten wants to curb the downward trend in attendance they might want to improve attendance experience
As long as attendance is good at Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, I don't think they much give a rip about in-person experience.

It's TV, TV, TV, and TV.

A lot of the newer stadiums being built these days are taking pages from European soccer stadiums with a partial roof ringing the seats (see Buffalo's plans here, and the Chiefs are considering something similar). This apparently does an excellent job of loudening the crowd. It's why Allianz field seems pretty loud despite a smallish seating capacity.

Not sure the Gophers stadium is structurally capable of adding something like that and it's likely pretty costly, too. It also might eliminate being able to expand vertically.

But. it'd look cool...

A lot of the newer stadiums being built these days are taking pages from European soccer stadiums with a partial roof ringing the seats (see Buffalo's plans here, and the Chiefs are considering something similar). This apparently does an excellent job of loudening the crowd. It's why Allianz field seems pretty loud despite a smallish seating capacity.

Not sure the Gophers stadium is structurally capable of adding something like that and it's likely pretty costly, too. It also might eliminate being able to expand vertically.

But. it'd look cool...
Baylor's football stadium was heavily based off of TCF, and has a thing like you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLane_Stadium

As long as attendance is good at Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, I don't think they much give a rip about in-person experience.

It's TV, TV, TV, and TV.
Watching empty stadiums on TV eventually devalues the tv

Long term > short term

I'd like to see video boards above the entry outside the stadium so when we are stuck in the uber fast security lines for 20 minutes we can still see some of the action going on inside the stadium.

Better sound system we are on the sunny side of the stadium and hearing the band at times is nearly impossible or if we do hear them it is quiet.

I wouldn't mind them adding a few more boxes and continuing the enclosed seating area a little farther around that end of the stadium where the smaller video board is along with building in upper bathrooms and concessions on the 2nd deck. They can always be torn down and renovated if they do choose to expand the stadium

“More aspens, red oaks, sugar maples to create as much maroon and gold in autumn as possible.”

Don’t we need more anthracite colored trees? That is our school color, after all 🙄. Perhaps if they hit a few trees with a blowtorch that will get the proper hue. Plus, the kids love charred trees! It could be huge for recruiting.

Fill the stadium by offering U students cheap -- maybe $5 -- tickets to fill specified sections.
Open up the top end of the bowl for $10 to anyone. Give people the chance to experience a college game and they will very likely return often. The U can recoup some $ from a ‘discounted’ ticket when these fans it the concession stands. They will spend more than a student and much more than an empty seat.

It is bad optics for TV, recruits and other fans when there is a gaping bare spot in the stands.

Sorry students, prove you want to be there and you get your seats back.

Open up the top end of the bowl for $10 to anyone. Give people the chance to experience a college game and they will very likely return often. The U can recoup some $ from a ‘discounted’ ticket when these fans it the concession stands. They will spend more than a student and much more than an empty seat.

It is bad optics for TV, recruits and other fans when there is a gaping bare spot in the stands.

Sorry students, prove you want to be there and you get your seats back.

If you're talking the top of the student section, it's often full to the top early in the games. If the game is out of hand one way or another, that section empties early in the second half as the kids hit the parties.

Watching empty stadiums on TV eventually devalues the tv

Long term > short term
I don't disagree with the spirit of your post, I think you're correct there.

It's not going to be exactly empty stadiums. And the TV cameras aren't pointed at the stands most of the time.

Everything that has happened the last 10-15 years in college football/realignment, and will continue to happen, is entirely because of the TV money that has exploded into it.

The previous decades, schools were filling the stands. But no one made any money off it, other than the school selling the tickets.

Fill the stadium by offering U students cheap -- maybe $5 -- tickets to fill specified sections.
I remember it being talked about in another thread, the idea of trying to offer student section tickets to anyone for cheap in order to fill up the stadium.

The main thing is like this: how much of the student section actually goes unsold, vs students who just don't show up, or come late, and/or leave early?

There is nothing you can do about the latter. The student bought the ticket, just like any other fan.

It's not like there's a waiting list of people "on call", waiting to hear 10 mins before the game that someone no-showed, so get on down and take their seat.

The former bit, that would obviously be the thing. But then you'd also have students angry and yelling like "every student pays a big fee, even a special, separate fee for the stadium, and they giving away our tickets". Not saying they have a point, but it would still look bad.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear later that Coyle has a notebook full of suggestions for improvements to the Bank. His hold up I believe is the debt owed on the training facilities etc. Until we can get that paid off, I believe we won't be seeing changes at the speed we would like.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear later that Coyle has a notebook full of suggestions for improvements to the Bank. His hold up I believe is the debt owed on the training facilities etc. Until we can get that paid off, I believe we won't be seeing changes at the speed we would like.
Well I mean that and .... honestly the bank is really nice.

We got a laundry list and maybe Coyle too but really they're minor add-ons compared to some stadiums out there.

Top Bottom