What is the biggest reason we are 10th in B1G standings?

What is the biggest reason we are 10th in B1G standings?

• Trevor's injury

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Lack of administrative support

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tubby's in-game coaching

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Lack of player development

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Lack of recruiting success

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • B1G is just too tough

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Lack of home crowd energy

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Bad luck

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

YES, you posted the context, that it was NOT a huge investment. Stating that it IS in a subsequent post doesn't change that.

You are lying again. I never once stated that it is a huge investment. I stated that it is a huge salary relative to my world. Do you understand the difference? In the first post, I stated that compared to his peers, he makes a slightly-above-average salary (and he does). Ergo, Minnesota is not making a huge investment in him relative to their peers. They are making a slightly-above-average investment in him according to the terms of the marketplace. Thus, it is, by definition, not a huge investment. You are, and were, wrong. In the second post, I stated that, compared to the average person (implicit since I was actually talking about myself, and I consider myself an average person in terms of salary), he makes a huge salary. Do you understand what wholes and subsets are? Do you understand how words work?

So zero blame goes to the players? You know, the guys who actually play?

I'm not disagreeing with some of the things you are saying, but it also comes down to execution

And I think the execution falls mostly on the coach. He is the one bringing this players in and I don't think he is coaching in a way that improves play. I think if we brought in a guest coach for a week we would perform better then with tubby. There have been way to many times where I have been wondering what the hell tubby was doing

And I think the execution falls mostly on the coach. He is the one bringing this players in and I don't think he is coaching in a way that improves play. I think if we brought in a guest coach for a week we would perform better then with tubby. There have been way to many times where I have been wondering what the hell tubby was doing

Guest coach!! I like this idea!! :) Can we get Bobby Knight for one week (just one please)?

bga1 said:
Guest coach!! I like this idea!! :) Can we get Bobby Knight for one week (just one please)?

You saying Bobby made me think of something.

Not sure how much bobby Jackson had to do in the scandal, but with Maturi leaving and Jackson has been a great coach with the Kings by all accounts.

I wonder if there is any chance of him being an assistant under Tubby (or whoever) or a possible head coach candidate? With all the love for Flip, I'd think Bobby might be an interesting guy to take somewhat of a look at.

I guess I just disagree. When players are making stupid decisions or stupid plays, it has to fall on them just as much as the coach. The Ohio St. game is a great example of that. We had 8 turnovers in 8 minutes, and 6 in the other 32 minutes. Players were making a bunch of stupid decisions for that short time frame, and it was the reason we lost.

In what ways would you change the way he coached the game Tuesday night or in general? Substitution patterns is one most everyone can't stand. But that's not the only reason we aren't winning a bunch of games.

I think this is a tough question and depends entirely on whether you take a micro or macro look at the question. From a micro perspective, the Gophers had Trevor entering this year and likely would have 1-3 more Big Ten wins and would be at least a decent bet to make the NCAA tournament. From a macro perspective, there should be enough talent on the roster to avoid falling to 10th place in the Big Ten due to one injury. This team has had 3 upset losses in conference play and only 1 upset win, if they were just neutral in this category they would have a great shot at the tournament. I can see arguments for Trevor, recruiting, or coaching being the biggest issue depending on how you view the question.

This team has beaten nobody. Look at the RPI. We beat number 15 Indiana and that's it. South Dakota State has a better RPI than MN. We played crappy teams and we played them at home. One quality win all year.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_190_Men.html

minngg said:
This team has beaten nobody. Look at the RPI. We beat number 15 Indiana and that's it. South Dakota State has a better RPI than MN. We played crappy teams and we played them at home. One quality win all year.]
Run Forrest Run!

You saying Bobby made me think of something.

Not sure how much bobby Jackson had to do in the scandal, but with Maturi leaving and Jackson has been a great coach with the Kings by all accounts.

I wonder if there is any chance of him being an assistant under Tubby (or whoever) or a possible head coach candidate? With all the love for Flip, I'd think Bobby might be an interesting guy to take somewhat of a look at.

I would love to see Bobby Jackson come back here as an assistant.

I think this is a tough question and depends entirely on whether you take a micro or macro look at the question. From a micro perspective, the Gophers had Trevor entering this year and likely would have 1-3 more Big Ten wins and would be at least a decent bet to make the NCAA tournament. From a macro perspective, there should be enough talent on the roster to avoid falling to 10th place in the Big Ten due to one injury. This team has had 3 upset losses in conference play and only 1 upset win, if they were just neutral in this category they would have a great shot at the tournament. I can see arguments for Trevor, recruiting, or coaching being the biggest issue depending on how you view the question.

I can't think of an easier question. With the Beast it's a no brainer we make the dance and have a player's chance to advance. How many GOPHER teams could lose a first round draft choice and not drop in the standings?

I can't think of an easier question. With the Beast it's a no brainer we make the dance and have a player's chance to advance. How many GOPHER teams could lose a first round draft choice and not drop in the standings?

Trevor was on the team last year if I remember right. Did we make the dance? Did we win 7 Big Ten games? Didn't we also have Hoffarber on the team? But in your mind there is no question we would make the dance and advance???

Spring recruits - Tubbys first choice recruits have been ok but the desperation moves for the spring guys is catching up to us. I was watching last nights game and caught myself thinking we have two players at the most that may contend for All Big Ten player status.

I usually defend Tubby, but this is a great answer. Where would we be if we had Devoe instead of Welch, Cobbs instead of Mav & Colt instead of Ingram? A lot better imo. Tubby HAS to retain this young nucleus.

There's never been a guarantee that Trevor would be a first round draft pick and he's certainly not a go to offensive player. I don't think many teams (don't know why Gopher has to be emphasized, there's no need for low standards) avoid a drop in the standings when losing a first round pick. However, according to your view of the Gophers they would be a "no brainer" for the NCAA tournament with him and the reality is that this team has a chance to finish 10th in their conference with a record of something like 7-11. That is quite a drop in the standings, certainly more than 1-2 spots.

How many teams bring in a JUCO player at a position of need, and that player can't crack a ten man rotation?
How many teams bring in two freshman guards and neither is a better option at PG than Blake Hoffarber?

There are plenty of things to point to besides injury when looking at the Gophers struggles if you choose to look at the question from a macro viewpoint. The Gophers have suffered 3 upset losses this year and have won just once as underdogs in conference play, so it's not as if the argument can be made that we've seen the best possible ball out of this group.

We weren't exactly world beaters when we had trevor this year.

I agree. The reason we absolutely stunk last year was we had NO PG after Nolen went down. A team is only as good as their PG. This year we're better because Welch, while limited athletically, is a big upgrade to Blake at the point. That addition brought us from rock bottom to frustrating, then we lost Trevor. Welch will be back next year & hopefully better as a Sr (although I think he's already maximizing his abilities) & Hollins has made some big strides this year so that's encouraging fir next year. Throw in Mav as Jr as an insurance policy & I think we're in better shape next year, but still not great shape. That's why I'm looking for an NCAA birth & one win in the tourney as my litmus test next year. The year after when Hollins is a Jr/Mav a Sr. I expect big things.

All of the above except that the Big Ten isn't that good.

How is the B1G not good? The B1G is tied with the Big East with the most teams in the top 25? I would say the exact opposite and say it's the best conference this year and it's honestly hard to argue against it. From top to bottom, the B1G rivals any conference out there. The reason why there isn't a runaway favorite, or a dominate team (record-wise) in the B1G, is because the conference is solid. It can be argued that the home court advantage in the B1G is just as good as any conference out there as well. Furthermore, the B1G and the Big East are the only conferences that have 10 teams who've won at least 5 conference wins. What conference is better right now?

Tubby. Tub of goo. The Tub Monster. Not the coach we expected. 5 rebuilding years later... nada, nothing, zilch. A statistical hiccup could account for the minor difference between Monson and the Goo. Not saying he needs to leave, but it would be nice to at least once be above .500 in conference.

It must be an act of nature, because it can't be the fault of our head coach.

How is the B1G not good? The B1G is tied with the Big East with the most teams in the top 25? I would say the exact opposite and say it's the best conference this year and it's honestly hard to argue against it. From top to bottom, the B1G rivals any conference out there. The reason why there isn't a runaway favorite, or a dominate team (record-wise) in the B1G, is because the conference is solid. It can be argued that the home court advantage in the B1G is just as good as any conference out there as well. Furthermore, the B1G and the Big East are the only conferences that have 10 teams who've won at least 5 conference wins. What conference is better right now?

OSU, solid top 10 but looking less and less like a #1 seed. Michigan St. solid and rising, but not a true top 10. IU WAY better than last year but not a dead solid top 20.
Michigan extremely tenuous top 20, who can't claim it if they lose to OSU at home today.Wisconsin is probably a top 25 team at home, probably not a top 30 on a neutral floor. Beyond that it's a vast waste of mediocrity whose claim on the top forty is no stronger that the case to exclude it in each instance. Or worse. We don't(actually won't) admit it, but the B1G has been WAY OFF for 3 years now. This year looked like a reversal but is fading at the end.

You are lying again. I never once stated that it is a huge investment. I stated that it is a huge salary relative to my world. Do you understand the difference? In the first post, I stated that compared to his peers, he makes a slightly-above-average salary (and he does). Ergo, Minnesota is not making a huge investment in him relative to their peers. They are making a slightly-above-average investment in him according to the terms of the marketplace. Thus, it is, by definition, not a huge investment. You are, and were, wrong. In the second post, I stated that, compared to the average person (implicit since I was actually talking about myself, and I consider myself an average person in terms of salary), he makes a huge salary. Do you understand what wholes and subsets are? Do you understand how words work?

You sniveling littletwat, cry semantics all you want. FIrst you post that it wasn't a big investment, then you post that it was, now you try to post that you said neither. Seek treatment for your bipolar disorder then come back.

You sniveling littletwat, cry semantics all you want. FIrst you post that it wasn't a big investment, then you post that it was, now you try to post that you said neither. Seek treatment for your bipolar disorder then come back.
The personal shots will really make people like you more.

OSU, solid top 10 but looking less and less like a #1 seed. Michigan St. solid and rising, but not a true top 10. IU WAY better than last year but not a dead solid top 20.
Michigan extremely tenuous top 20, who can't claim it if they lose to OSU at home today.Wisconsin is probably a top 25 team at home, probably not a top 30 on a neutral floor. Beyond that it's a vast waste of mediocrity whose claim on the top forty is no stronger that the case to exclude it in each instance. Or worse. We don't(actually won't) admit it, but the B1G has been WAY OFF for 3 years now. This year looked like a reversal but is fading at the end.

Even if the B1G is down, that makes it even more impressive that they're the best conference in the land. The RPI in the B1G is higher than any other conference. Also, the B1G is the only conference where every team in the bottom half has beaten at least one team in the upper half. That right there proves it's the deepest conference. The B1G has led in attendance in the NCAA for 35 straight years. That again shows that the home court advantage is second to none in the nation. Like I've asked before, what conference is better this year?

I NEVER ONCE POSTED THAT IT WAS A BIG INVESTMENT. YOU ARE LYING YET AGAIN, LIKE YOU DO IN ALMOST EVERY POST HERE. CITE THE POST AND PROVE IT TO ALL OF US OR SHUT YOUR IDIOT MOUTH. BETTER YET, DO THAT ANYWAY. HOW IN THE HELL HAVE YOU NOT BEEN BANNED YET?!?!

DpDoll a disinformation agent for the current coaching regime. They need to improve the quality of their talking points, as said points make their apologists look like morons

Top Bottom