What grade would you give Max Brosmer in his first game with the Gophers?

What grade would you give Max Brosmer in his first game with the Gophers?

• A

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • B

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • C

Votes: 78 41.7%
  • D

Votes: 71 38.0%
  • F

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters
What? If what you say is true, which I don't think it is as I don't recall reading that, you would normally have an accomplished player ahead of this person if it's for depth. The QB room was almost completely empty due to nearly all of them transferring! He was brought in to start from everything I read and from what I remember reading, he was a legit player and a significant upgrade from AK.

It is only week 1 and I hope things do improve but from what I saw, this was a sideways move at best (yeah, I know, it's early!!) and potentially a move downward due to what looked like to me, someone that does not have a B1G body, or arm.

I hope he proves me wrong but I see someone who will get physically crushed (for sure if the PP doesn't get better quickly) in B1G play and we might see what our backups look like early in the B1G season.
Harbaugh @ 34 minutes

I gave him a C, as to me he was mostly meh. To be honest, I was hoping for something a little bit better than just meh, as in my opinion the Gophers have been (at best) nothing more than merely meh at the QB position for a very, very long time, but hey, ya get what ya get and you don't throw a fit. Our o-line looked a little rusty too, and to me that's a factor which needs taken into consideration when looking to evaluate any quarterback's game.

All in all I'm not gonna judge Brosmer too harshly, as this was his very first game as a Gopher, and besides, the real tell is in how he progresses from week to week, as he gains time in the film room analyzing what he did right and what he might have done differently or better.

It's just game one. I still have hope.

Harbaugh @ 34 minutes
You're wrong - but I can see how you would think that is what he meant as he stumbled a bit with the question about finding Max through the portal by saying they were looking for depth at that time (as they still had the other QB's). Harbaugh then says, and these are direct quotes "then obviously we had the guys get into the portal (the other QB's) you know shortly after that, then it changed where we got to find THE BEST GUY and um Max from the first time I watched his tape and the first time I talked with him you know I'm I'm I'm (direct quote again, he's no PJ Fleck that's for sure) big on him recruiting like I I find a guy that I like you know I find a guy that WE like and WE GO AFTER HIM and he fit what we needed at the time and I couldn't be you know happier...."

Doesn't sound to me like it was a depth signing... they needed a starter and they found what they were looking for and what they thought was a Grade A signing (now those were my words).

Last edited:

You mean other than his first 3rd down throw of the game? Come on man. The last drive is the only thing that saved him from an F.
The last drive was also the only drive where he wasn't shackled to the conservative playstyle of Fleck/Harbaugh out of sheer necessity. Brosmer moved the offense into a spot to win, if the coaching staff unleashes the offense a bit it could be fun to watch as the season develops. He's very clearly more competent than Kaliakmanis.

You're wrong - but I can see how you would think that is what he meant as he stumbled a bit with the question about finding Max through the portal by saying they were looking for depth at that time (as they still had the other QB's). Harbaugh then says, and these are direct quotes "then obviously we had the guys get into the portal (the other QB's) you know shortly after that, then it changed where we got to find THE BEST GUY and um Max from the first time I watched his tape and the first time I talked with him you know I'm I'm I'm (direct quote again, he's no PJ Fleck that's for sure) big on him recruiting like I I find a guy that I like you know I find a guy that WE like and WE GO AFTER HIM and he fit what we needed at the time and I couldn't be you know happier...."

Doesn't sound to me like it was a depth signing... they needed a starter and they found what they were looking for and what they thought was a Grade A signing (now those were my words).
You're right. I should have worded my post better. I think Max was their guy whether they needed depth or a starter.

I'd go C. Missed some throws he needs to make. Play calling is suspect, again. That's not on him. O-line play was up and down all night. REALLY up and down. That's not on him. I'd argue the fumble is not on him, as he was hit with a club that should never be allowed in the rules of the game. Yes, he should probably slide. He is head and shoulders above the QB we watched play for the Gophers last year. He has to get better and I am thinking he will. Lots of others need to get better, too.

Top Bottom