What grade would you give Max Brosmer in his first game with the Gophers?

What grade would you give Max Brosmer in his first game with the Gophers?

• A

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • B

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • C

Votes: 78 41.7%
  • D

Votes: 71 38.0%
  • F

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters
PJ needs to start running sets that get the WRs out in space. We keep bunching everyone in and beg the defense to put 8 or 9 in the box which not so shockingly leaves us unable to run the ball or get our receivers space to make plays.

Get out of the Stone Age PJ. We’re about one half tick better than the Iowa offense we love to ridicule.

I’m struggling with this - threw some nice balls but receivers made some great catches - also threw some poor balls - my biggest issues was the sacks - is this an O-Line issue or is he not picking up blitzes and general defensive schemes? But he’s a gamer but our conf schedule is tough and if he is a work in progress we are toast - lastly im interested to see what AK does at Rutgers - if he shines that may say a lot about PJ and his ability to develop players

I'm not giving a grade. I think situations fucked him in a way that play calling the play previous would have helped. There were bad throws, there were shouldcouldawoulda type plays, but the entire offense was garbage and hard to pin on only him

I’m struggling with this - threw some nice balls but receivers made some great catches - also threw some poor balls - my biggest issues was the sacks - is this an O-Line issue or is he not picking up blitzes and general defensive schemes? But he’s a gamer but our conf schedule is tough and if he is a work in progress we are toast - lastly im interested to see what AK does at Rutgers - if he shines that may say a lot about PJ and his ability to develop players

He showed he has the stuff at times. Some nice throws.

Some bad missed passes he should have made. He has to make those. Not an acceptable passer if he keeps missing those.

Did not have disaster interceptions, so gets some credit there.

Should have slid but instead coughs up the ball. He didn't really do that did he? Bad.

The o line was outplayed by the Carolina defense.

Brosmer made a good play where the blitz came and he ran to the vacated spot, good awareness there.

No way to know why they called the plays they did.

Yes, let me put it this way...

Max against UNC:
  • Completion %: 13/21 (61.9%)
  • YDS: 166
  • Average: 7.9
  • TD: 0
  • INT: 0
  • RTG: 128.3
Athan against UNC:
  • Completion %: 11/29 (37.9%)
  • YDS: 133
  • Average: 4.6
  • TD: 0
  • INT: 1
  • RTG: 69.6
Max was more accurate while throwing further downfield and protecting the ball better (fumble not withstanding) and that's before we get to anything in the 'eye test' where he clearly does a better job of working through progressions, making decisions, and placing the ball accurately.

Moreover, he's playing in a much harder offense than Athan was.

Max just played his first ever P5 football game and looked like a competent (even if not world-beating) QB. We should be happy with what we just saw. He's got two weeks against soft opponents, and then gets one of the best RBs in the country back against Iowa which will help take some of the pressure off of him.

BTW, if we're going to complain about anything tonight. The run game was f*ing atrocious. The team averaged 2.4 yards per carry.

Thoughtful analysis here.

We win this game with AK under center.
Not with PJ Fleck standing on Harbaugh's throat and preventing any chance of the offense to actually try to win the game.

Kesich is a good kicker who had a bad night. If he hits on two field goals that should have been TDs, they still win this game. He will hit those field goals more often than not this season. When you play to the bare minimum risk vs. to score TDs, mistakes hurt more.

B from me.

He showed last night he has the arm and the IQ to make some very high level throws. He is going to improve with the game slowing down for him. His biggest obstacle from having a great season will be this scheme. PJ has to trust this kids ability if we want any chance of having a winning season. Use Brosmer to open up the running game instead of using the running game to open up the passing game..

After the enormous off season build up, I didn't expect to see an undersized, slow QB with no pocket presence. He'll get better and he's going to face better.
I watched the 2023 NH games and then managed expectations.

He’s little looks like he’s 5’11 or maybe 6 foot and 180 lbs. I give him a pass here but he’s not going to be great I’ll take adequate going forward. Methinks PJ rigged the captain voting because he didn’t seem to possess really any leadership skills whatsoever.

As I stated 3 years ago, Fleck should've given the OC job and play calling to Simon, and I continue to be correct.

Harbaugh is God awful and we knew this 3 years ago.
Agree. Simon calls a masterful game against Auburn and Fleck benches him for 2 questionable hires.

Fair summary. Not sure if the miscues were him or good coverage though. Every look I got on TV his guys were blanketed. Didn’t seem like he was missing open receivers, but I wasn’t at the game.
I would say it was less about coverage and more about the playcalling. Once again just so vanilla and conservative. Pretty much no quick short passes until the final drive. Very little motion pre-snap.

He’s little looks like he’s 5’11 or maybe 6 foot and 180 lbs. I give him a pass here but he’s not going to be great I’ll take adequate going forward. Methinks PJ rigged the captain voting because he didn’t seem to possess really any leadership skills whatsoever.
PJ didn't do anything different for Max. PJ is like Oprah:

And you get a captaincy, and you get a captaincy, and you get a captaincy, and you get a captaincy.....

Always has been.

I was very concerned with Max's play early, but impressed with it late. Looked like a classic case of first game nerves playing at a higher level to me. He tried to do too much running around and fumbled on an aggressive scramble up the middle for good yards. He really seemed to lay it all out there. I wish they'd given him the chance to win the game late with a passing play to make that kick easier on third down. He was playing much better at that point.

I'm sure a major lesson from this game for him will be you are not able to run around at this level like you could at FCS. Make a quick decision and go with it whatever it is and move on to the next play. Again, his scramble straight up the field late in the game seemed like an adjustment to me. He figured out he couldn't get away with scrambling around. Be decisive and get up field for some quick yards if you see the opportunity. He just barely fumbled. If his knee hits the ground an instant sooner, it's a very nice play.

He looks like a way better passer to me than AK. When he dropped back to pass, especially late in the game, I actually felt like there was a good chance it would be completed. He missed some throws, but this is COLLEGE football after all. He also made some other very nice ones and I don't think his receivers are all that talented. It looked like he was trying to throw into some tight windows and the broadcasters said the receivers were blanked much of the time. That may have contributed to him looking bad on occasion. I think after some adjustment time, he could be pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing if he improves throughout the year.

With so many transfers now, I would really prefer the first game of the season not be against a P4 team. Would rather one of the weaker opponents first to get everyone settled in.

Whether be design or not, that looks to be the case the next few years. Open with Buffalo, E Illinois San Jose St, North Dakota and North Dakota again the next five years. Not as exciting for fans, but probably best for the team.

Ideally it's this IMO:
1. Cream puff - everyone get their feet wet
2. P4 opponent - get a real test
3. Cream puff - re-evaluate and get ready for the conference season
4-12. Big Ten

This probably would have helped a guy like Brosmer a lot.

B-/C+. The average BG10 QB rating last year in conference play (Power 5 only) was 126. Brosmer had 128+ yesterday. He had some up and down moments but put the team in position to win at the end with that last drive which included a holding penalty to overcome. It was his first game as a Goph against a solid Power 5 opponent. I'm cautiously optimistic he'll be getter.

Remember the Gopher's last drive against Illinois last year that failed miserably with no receptions and no first downs? I was disgusted. That was the norm. This was a very similar kind of game. Brosmer led the opposite type of drive for what could have been a winning field goal. I like the kid.

With so many transfers now, I would really prefer the first game of the season not be against a P4 team. Would rather one of the weaker opponents first to get everyone settled in.

Whether be design or not, that looks to be the case the next few years. Open with Buffalo, E Illinois San Jose St, North Dakota and North Dakota again the next five years. Not as exciting for fans, but probably best for the team.

Ideally it's this IMO:
1. Cream puff - everyone get their feet wet
2. P4 opponent - get a real test
3. Cream puff - re-evaluate and get ready for the conference season
4-12. Big Ten

This probably would have helped a guy like Brosmer a lot.

Someone (in the game thread I believe) wondered why we scheduled North Carolina (or teams like them) at all in nonconference. I'm beginning to agree with that sentiment.

Unless you are a candidate for the CFP (which nobody expects in the near future), your postseason future isn't evaluated by an index that could be boosted by playing a harder schedule. We simply need to get at least 6 wins although getting 8 may place us in a higher bowl (certainly not a safe assumption since we have been passed up by better bowls who took teams with lesser records in the past).

In the new Big Ten with no Big Ten West, our conference schedules will be hard enough. Might as well try to get 3 easier wins in nonconference. Our need to ease into the season is heightened by the fact that we have a lot of new faces each year from the portal.

Someone (in the game thread I believe) wondered why we scheduled North Carolina (or teams like them) at all in nonconference. I'm beginning to agree with that sentiment.

Unless you are a candidate for the CFP (which nobody expects in the near future), your postseason future isn't evaluated by an index that could be boosted by playing a harder schedule. We simply need to get at least 6 wins although getting 8 may place us in a higher bowl (certainly not a safe assumption since we have been passed up by better bowls who took teams with lesser records in the past).

In the new Big Ten with no Big Ten West, our conference schedules will be hard enough. Might as well try to get 3 easier wins in nonconference. Our need to ease into the season is heightened by the fact that we have a lot of new faces each year from the portal.
I still think from a fan perspective it's nice to play a good opponent in the nonconference. I imagine it's fun for the players too to see different teams from around the country.

Top Bottom