What grade would you give Max Brosmer in his first game with the Gophers?

• A

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • B

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • C

Votes: 78 41.7%
  • D

Votes: 71 38.0%
  • F

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Huge improvement over last year. Clearly leading team. Throwing accurately. Getting rid of the ball when receivers were covered. Receivers made more mistakes than he did.

Went from A to B because of the fumble.

He's not good. Better than AK, but that's not hard. Biggest problem is we have one legit receiver which is a coaching and recruiting problem. Looks like the 4 win season folks were on to something.

He's not good. Better than AK, but that's not hard. Biggest problem is we have one legit receiver which is a coaching and recruiting problem. Looks like the 4 win season folks were on to something.
I don’t get how we have receivers that need a transfer QB to tell them where to line up. And Howden giving up on a screen pass should get his butt benched. Unbelievable.

That was a D performance.

Looked overmatched at this level. Hopefully first game jitters and he gains some confidence from that last drive.

I gave him a D today, because hopefully his miscues are just him adjusting to P5 football, but if so he better adjust FAST.

He showed some promise in some areas, he seems to make better reads and progresses through his WRs pretty well too. It also felt like he had fewer passes that were straight up uncatchable (there were some, but mostly just throws that were off target rather than being thrown too early/late or too hard), but he stayed in the pocket too long a few times which led to sacks, and there were a few times where he should have gotten rid of the ball but didn't and also lost yards.

The fumble was also not great. He seems to want to lean forward and try to get a few extra yards, which I'm all for when you're really close to the first down line but he wasn't AND I'm sure the ball was a bit harder to hold on to because of the rain and the turf being wet. In those situations you HAVE to slide.

I gave him a D today, because hopefully his miscues are just him adjusting to P5 football, but if so he better adjust FAST.

He showed some promise in some areas, he seems to make better reads and progresses through his WRs pretty well too. It also felt like he had fewer passes that were straight up uncatchable (there were some, but mostly just throws that were off target rather than being thrown too early/late or too hard), but he stayed in the pocket too long a few times which led to sacks, and there were a few times where he should have gotten rid of the ball but didn't and also lost yards.

The fumble was also not great. He seems to want to lean forward and try to get a few extra yards, which I'm all for when you're really close to the first down line but he wasn't AND I'm sure the ball was a bit harder to hold on to because of the rain and the turf being wet. In those situations you HAVE to slide.
Fair summary. Not sure if the miscues were him or good coverage though. Every look I got on TV his guys were blanketed. Didn’t seem like he was missing open receivers, but I wasn’t at the game.

It's just amazing to me that PJ is depending on an undersized, immobile FCS transfer to save our offense.

He had some nice spots late in the game but I'm not impressed. Also our OC and play calling suck, so that doesn't help

Not sure it's worth riding the season with him if it doesn't get better by first bye. D

Can I buy some of your meth?
You’re drunk off your ass if you watch that guy play and think he’s not better than what we watched last year. He clearly read defense, got his guys to right spot, limited mistakes other than putting the ball on the ground.

His incompletions were as much on the receivers as they were on him.

You’re drunk off your ass if you watch that guy play and think he’s not better than what we watched last year. He clearly read defense, got his guys to right spot, limited mistakes other than putting the ball on the ground.

Well said. My bigger issue is with Harbaugh and the absurd conservative play calling for 95% of the game. We suddenly decide to open it up in the final 2 minutes (even when they are expecting us to throw) and we move the ball

I thought you were joking. He was absolutely awful tonight. Even the last drive where we moved the ball he wasn’t hitting guys in stride. He took 5 sacks and fumbled in a terrible spot.

I thought you were joking. He was absolutely awful tonight. Even the last drive where we moved the ball he wasn’t hitting guys in stride. He took 5 sacks and fumbled in a terrible spot.
The sacks are on him if he’s not getting the ball to open guys. Otherwise they’re on the receivers and line. I didn’t see him miss open passes.

B? Seriously?
Yes, let me put it this way...

Max against UNC:
  • Completion %: 13/21 (61.9%)
  • YDS: 166
  • Average: 7.9
  • TD: 0
  • INT: 0
  • RTG: 128.3
Athan against UNC:
  • Completion %: 11/29 (37.9%)
  • YDS: 133
  • Average: 4.6
  • INT: 1
  • RTG: 69.6
Max was more accurate while throwing further downfield and protecting the ball better (fumble not withstanding) and that's before we get to anything in the 'eye test' where he clearly does a better job of working through progressions, making decisions, and placing the ball accurately.

Moreover, he's playing in a much harder offense than Athan was.

Max just played his first ever P5 football game and looked like a competent (even if not world-beating) QB. We should be happy with what we just saw. He's got two weeks against soft opponents, and then gets one of the best RBs in the country back against Iowa which will help take some of the pressure off of him.

BTW, if we're going to complain about anything tonight. The run game was f*ing atrocious. The team averaged 2.4 yards per carry.

I gave him a C. Was a D until the last drive. Missed a few simple throws and it seemed like the staff didn't trust him that much. We finally saw RB passes, problem was it was often the first receiver he looked at.

Hard to judge a QB fully without seeing an all-22 tape or being at the game and paying attention to who was or was not getting open

C for me. Looked like the game slowed down a little for him after half-time. Really didn't think the O-line did him many favors in the first half.

Unfortunately forgot to set the DVR so I can't go back 3 times to watch every miscue with this one. That might be a good thing.

C-. What stands out to me is the bad misses on easy, easy high percentage short passes.
Most of them amount to not-a-lot until the receiver breaks one and they are a big play. Got to hit them all the time.

Yes, let me put it this way...

Max against UNC:
  • Completion %: 13/21 (61.9%)
  • YDS: 166
  • Average: 7.9
  • INT: 0
  • RTG: 128.3
Athan against UNC:
  • Completion %: 11/29 (37.9%)
  • YDS: 133
  • Average: 4.6
  • INT: 1
  • RTG: 69.6
Max was more accurate while throwing further downfield and protecting the ball better (fumble not withstanding) and that's before we get to anything in the 'eye test' where he clearly does a better job of working through progressions, making decisions, and placing the ball accurately.

Moreover, he's playing in a much harder offense than Athan was.

Max just played his first ever P5 football game and looked like a competent (even if not world-beating) QB. We should be happy with what we just saw. He's got two weeks against soft opponents, and then gets one of the best RBs in the country back against Iowa which will help take some of the pressure off of him.

BTW, if we're going to complain about anything tonight. The run game was f*ing atrocious. The team averaged 2.4 yards per carry.
Doesn't matter what AK did last year, he was horrible tonight. Hopefully he gets better.

Top Bottom