What does Coach Johnson do with the transfer portal?

I think a huge win for him for starters would be to get Mash to buy in and stay. Carr, will probably go to the G-League, but if Johnson also has a relationship with some NBA recruiters, maybe he could convince Carr to stay for his Senior season. Carr isn't NBA caliber yet. One more year he could be a second round pick with a good season. If he can land Holmgren, which I don't think he will, I'd be on board for sure with this hire. 100%.

How about Freddie Gillespie. Went from Carleton to starting at Baylor to having a contract in the G League.

I forgot about him - i love those stories that those guys had the guts to make that big a leap and in doing so look where they landed! One of the reasons John Schlecht is one of my favorite Goph football player from going from St. Cloud to the U.

I'm honestly open to every close MN kid. I'm not even being sarcastic. Lets jump into the deep end of this and see what happens. If there is a team with 7-8 MN kids that's decent, maybe it'll change the perception a bit.

I'd go after Garcia, Battle, Ish, Fox, etc.
I have been thinking about it and I really agree with this. Coach should recruit every MN transfer hard and get them on the team ASAP. If we want to change the perception to MN high school players, high school coaches, and AAU coaches, it starts with getting the MN transfers back on the team. If that doesn’t happen this spring, I just don’t know if Coach will be able to overcome the inertia and land the 2022 and 2023 MN high school recruits that he wants. And if he can’t land them, it’s gonna be real tough sledding for him and his staff.

Parker Fox hoping to hear from Coach Johnson.

"I am hoping to hear from Minnesota, they just hired their new coach today," he said. "Minnesota is home, they just hired Ben Johnson today, he's a Minnesota dude. He reached out to me at Xavier so hopefully I am ablate connect with him through Minnesota as well."

"He was one of the first ones to reach out and introduce himself and tell me that they're interested in my game and to hopefully form a relationship," Fox added.

Carr isn't NBA caliber yet. One more year he could be a second round pick with a good season.
Google his name and you'll see he was considered an NBA prospect back in 2015. I'm afraid he's too old to become one now. Could easily get there and play games, but it won't be through the draft.

"I am hoping to hear from Minnesota, they just hired their new coach today," he said. "Minnesota is home, they just hired Ben Johnson today, he's a Minnesota dude. He reached out to me at Xavier so hopefully I am ablate connect with him through Minnesota as well."

"He was one of the first ones to reach out and introduce himself and tell me that they're interested in my game and to hopefully form a relationship," Fox added.
Is he a grad transfer?

Regardless, wonder if transfer rules cover DII to DI?

Is he a grad transfer?

Regardless, wonder if transfer rules cover DII to DI?
He's a junior, but I assume DII gets the free Covid year as well, so he should have two years of eligibility. You've never had to sit out transferring DII to DI.

You've never had to sit out transferring DII to DI.
Never sit out DI to DII. It's always free going down.

I think a main issue is that DII have lower academic standards. So they don't want DI schools defacto recruiting kids who wouldn't qualify under DI standards, from DII schools?

I could easily be wrong on all of this.

Never sit out DI to DII. It's always free going down.

I think a main issue is that DII have lower academic standards. So they don't want DI schools defacto recruiting kids who wouldn't qualify under DI standards, from DII schools?

I could easily be wrong on all of this.
I don't think that's the issue with Fox. He was just under-recruited in HS.

There are always waivers, as well. Could pull the same trick Robbins used.

Jordan McCabe is in the transfer portal now. He’s underperformed pretty significantly, but the Gophers did recruit him out of high school. Wondering if a move would be made on him.

That’s great news.

Just because it's a step up to the Big Ten? For a team that may not have a good chance to win many Big Ten games?

And never underestimate the desire for kids not to want to come home yet.
Because it’s the Big Ten, he’d be coming home, Johnson has the local connection and he played and coached at De la Salle.

Someone like El-Amin may not be a lock but I would think Battle would be.

You've never had to sit out transferring DII to DI.

Yes, with current rules you would most likely have to to sit out a year going DII to DI. There are some exceptions.

Now, if they pass the one-time transfer rule, he is fine.

If he is indeed a grad transfer, as some have said, then he's fine.

Last edited:

Yes, with current rules you would most likely have to to sit out a year going DII to DI. There are some exceptions.

Now, if they pass the one-time transfer rule, he is fine.

If he is indeed a grad transfer, as some have said, then he's fine.
He’s a redshirt Junior. Redshirted and has played the last two years.

Pick a couple regular transfer. And hammer the grad transfer market to keep open Schollys for 2022.

I think a huge win for him for starters would be to get Mash to buy in and stay. Carr, will probably go to the G-League, but if Johnson also has a relationship with some NBA recruiters, maybe he could convince Carr to stay for his Senior season. Carr isn't NBA caliber yet. One more year he could be a second round pick with a good season. If he can land Holmgren, which I don't think he will, I'd be on board for sure with this hire. 100%.
Another year means another year older. That hurts more than helps with NBA teams. The younger the better in regard to getting drafted.

One of the rumors I heard recently was that Carr could land at Kentucky and Mashburn to Miami

One of the rumors I heard recently was that Carr could land at Kentucky and Mashburn to Miami
Johnny Athletic was of the opinion that Carr was done with college since he's already been in it for four years and is ready to move on. This should be interesting.

I'd be shocked to see him get Mash to stay (assume Carr turns pro, but not expecting him back). For as much as we're all bashing Pitino's recruiting, he was decent with out of state talent and Mash is 100% a Pitino recruit. Would think the Johnson hire didn't excite him. If Johnson gets him to stay, that would be amazing and an impressive display of sales.

So to be clear at the outset, I have zero "insider information" about Parker Fox from a recruiting standpoint. But, I know a good amount about him as a kid/young man and his family as well as his playing history. I coached Parker during his 14U AAU season with the MN Magic, after which he went with the Heat who had a pretty comparable squad to ours. Little bit different system, and he had a good connection with their coach that I think, in many ways, resembled him during his own stellar D3 career at UST (Connor Nord). I maintained a good relationship with his family through the following couple of years in the hopes of luring him back; he just had a great bond with Connor, and the Fox family values relationships to their credit.

Parker might be the most incredibly huge late bloomer I've ever had the opportunity to encounter in my past coaching days (which are paused due to little children at home). When I coached him, he "looked like he could grow," but he was an extremely scrawny/wiry combo GUARD with a streaky (but good overall) 3 point shot. He had some spring but often needed to be in the open to use it due to a lack of strength. Between spring of his 8th grade year and the end of high school, I think he grew upwards of about 10 inches if not more, and he filled out a ton comparatively. And, he's filled out a ton during college compared to high school. (Yes, that tells you how incredible his late blooming proved to be since he's still not "huge"). His 16U AAU team was probably around the 8th to 10th best in the state that year, and he didn't even consistently start for them yet at that time. By the end of his senior year of high school, he was a local star. I think his redshirt year then paid big dividends from what I can tell, and he's improved every single year since.

I would be absolutely shocked if he isn't grad transferring. He's a redshirt junior, and he was always an excellent student to my knowledge. His dad is an elementary school principal, and his mom is a teacher. Grade AAA family with good values. If Parker is saying he's interested in the MN hometown opportunity, there's authenticity behind it. He can be a little fiery and emotional, but that's mostly but he's a phenomenal teammate an extremely high character kid. I'd be so happy for him if the Gopher fit comes to fruition, and people would love watching him play.

Top Bottom