What does Coach Johnson do with the transfer portal?

So to be clear at the outset, I have zero "insider information" about Parker Fox from a recruiting standpoint. But, I know a good amount about him as a kid/young man and his family as well as his playing history. I coached Parker during his 14U AAU season with the MN Magic, after which he went with the Heat who had a pretty comparable squad to ours. Little bit different system, and he had a good connection with their coach that I think, in many ways, resembled him during his own stellar D3 career at UST (Connor Nord). I maintained a good relationship with his family through the following couple of years in the hopes of luring him back; he just had a great bond with Connor, and the Fox family values relationships to their credit.

Parker might be the most incredibly huge late bloomer I've ever had the opportunity to encounter in my past coaching days (which are paused due to little children at home). When I coached him, he "looked like he could grow," but he was an extremely scrawny/wiry combo GUARD with a streaky (but good overall) 3 point shot. He had some spring but often needed to be in the open to use it due to a lack of strength. Between spring of his 8th grade year and the end of high school, I think he grew upwards of about 10 inches if not more, and he filled out a ton comparatively. And, he's filled out a ton during college compared to high school. (Yes, that tells you how incredible his late blooming proved to be since he's still not "huge"). His 16U AAU team was probably around the 8th to 10th best in the state that year, and he didn't even consistently start for them yet at that time. By the end of his senior year of high school, he was a local star. I think his redshirt year then paid big dividends from what I can tell, and he's improved every single year since.

I would be absolutely shocked if he isn't grad transferring. He's a redshirt junior, and he was always an excellent student to my knowledge. His dad is an elementary school principal, and his mom is a teacher. Grade AAA family with good values. If Parker is saying he's interested in the MN hometown opportunity, there's authenticity behind it. He can be a little fiery and emotional, but that's mostly but he's a phenomenal teammate an extremely high character kid. I'd be so happy for him if the Gopher fit comes to fruition, and people would love watching him play.
Thanks for sharing, and that’s good to hear. It’s really fascinating and awesome to see the late bloomers in college basketball improve their game and become real difference makers. Players like Jason Preston and Liam Robbins who go from afterthought high schoolers to impact players are a big part of what makes college basketball so fun. I would love to see Parker Fox follow a similar trajectory and become high-major contributor or more for Ben Johnson at the U.

Add Garcia to my list. Not in portal yet but.....,,,,,

Garcia has great stats his freshman year at Marquette, he is going to be in big demand if he enters the portal, if Johnson could convince him to come to the U that would be big.

I was wondering that, is he still eligible and an amateur or is he playing low level professional in Europe.
yeah i think he signed overseas....i would highly doubt he has any interest coming back to MN

Duncan Robinson went from DIII to MI to the Heat in the NBA Finals.

Didn't know that about Robinson so looked him up. Went to Williams College. Very prestigious school academically but not a great place to be noticed for your athletic prowess although they have produced a number of coaches. He is the only NBA or ABA player who ever attended there.

For a slightly older example: local boy Devean George who went from DIII Augsburg to 3 championship rings with the LA Lakers.

These things don't happen regularly but they happen.

The coach at Williams College was an assistant for Beilein at West Virginia nice get for Michigan.

Jordan McCabe is in the transfer portal now. He’s underperformed pretty significantly, but the Gophers did recruit him out of high school. Wondering if a move would be made on him.

Why would you want a guy who underperformed pretty significantly at a power conference school? I've looked at his advanced stats and it's not like he's even shown significant improvement over three years. At best he's a backup point guard. I guess the one thing you can say about him is that he doesn't dominate the ball and that might be a refreshing change. He's certainly not anywhere close to the worst players in the transfer portal but one can do better.

I'd rather take a mid-major player who demonstrated success at that level.

Get Mutaf back!

Given that he signed a pro contract overseas, I'm guessing:

1) He'd rather be there than here; and
2) He doesn't have a burning desire to play college basketball.

Given that he signed a pro contract overseas, I'm guessing:

1) He'd rather be there than here; and
2) He doesn't have a burning desire to play college basketball.
He's in the portal according to the link in one of the pages here. And....I really don't care. I was joking for the most part.

The coach at Williams College was an assistant for Beilein at West Virginia nice get for Michigan.

Prior to Williams, he went to Phillips Exeter Academy so I'm guessing he was pursuing the Exeter, Williams, Harvard Business School/Yale Law, Wall Street Law or investment banking track before he decided "Hey, maybe I can play this game for awhile before starting my normal life."

Prior to Williams, he went to Phillips Exeter Academy so I'm guessing he was pursuing the Exeter, Williams, Harvard Business School/Yale Law, Wall Street Law or investment banking track before he decided "Hey, maybe I can play this game for awhile before starting my normal life."
Ahhh, to have that option. If only I were 6'6" and not 5'10". Ha!

Ahhh, to have that option. If only I were 6'6" and not 5'10". Ha!

Same here but, hey, I would have gladly taken either track but I guess I probably would have washed out long ago if I had taken the first one.

Why would you want a guy who underperformed pretty significantly at a power conference school? I've looked at his advanced stats and it's not like he's even shown significant improvement over three years. At best he's a backup point guard. I guess the one thing you can say about him is that he doesn't dominate the ball and that might be a refreshing change. He's certainly not anywhere close to the worst players in the transfer portal but one can do better.

I'd rather take a mid-major player who demonstrated success at that level.
Oh yeah, I agree with you 100%. Just put it out there since he was once a big name recruited by us so I could see it being pursued. Far from my top choice.

Didn't know that about Robinson so looked him up. Went to Williams College. Very prestigious school academically but not a great place to be noticed for your athletic prowess although they have produced a number of coaches. He is the only NBA or ABA player who ever attended there.

For a slightly older example: local boy Devean George who went from DIII Augsburg to 3 championship rings with the LA Lakers.

These things don't happen regularly but they happen.

i forgot about Devean, how embarrassing as I went to a MIAC school.

He had a very good career: was drafted in first round by the Lakers, a young pro athlete in LA, played 11 years and won three rings - what a ride.

On the way the roster sits right now he would be the starting pf.
Unless BJ comes back to play for BJ. But yeah, Fox is definitely a take if he wants to be here.

BJ's best, and maybe only, play for the transfer pool is the "come on home" angle. It's what he's personally doing, and he should be able to sell that to MN players in the portal. After a year of COVID, I think a lot of 'em would be open to the idea of "coming home" and making something big happen.

I think two will come home but power programs are playing portol also and many are elite prospects.

i forgot about Devean, how embarrassing as I went to a MIAC school.

He had a very good career: was drafted in first round by the Lakers, a young pro athlete in LA, played 11 years and won three rings - what a ride.
I'm an Augsburg grad from the 1970s and saw George play about a half dozen times and he was really something at the MIAC level. Every time I saw him play, he'd make a play that just seemed so non-MIAC.

He's another late-bloomer. I think I read that he was 6-2 or 6-3 when he graduated from Benilde-St. Margaret's and was 6-7 or 6-8 when he graduated from Augsburg. I've watched MIAC ball for over 40 years and I don't know if I ever saw a more gifted athlete over that stretch. His NBA success surprised me a bit. I thought he'd get drafted, but solely as a developmental guy who would contribute at some point, but he jumped right in there.

BJ's best, and maybe only, play for the transfer pool is the "come on home" angle. It's what he's personally doing, and he should be able to sell that to MN players in the portal. After a year of COVID, I think a lot of 'em would be open to the idea of "coming home" and making something big happen.
He also has the Xavier players in the portal

Ish.....we clearly have nothing at PG. so we need immediate help here. he’s is more combo guard them true PG. but again we need help. Plus he’s a shooter!

Battle. This one just seems to be the perfect match here. And we need help at the SF spot. Plus he’s a shooter!

then one of fox or race at PF

Still need at least one more ball handling guard to add.

PG-Ish, ?
SG-Gabe, Williams
SF-Battle, Gach
PF-Race/Fox, Ihnen, Mitchell
C-Robbins, Freeman, Thompson

this of course assumes the ones listed come back. And BJ can’t get the other BJ to come back. Although I’m guessing there will be more turnover them just carr and mash

Is it too soon to ask Holloman to reclassify to 2021 and come a year early?!?

Depends on who might be interested in coming home. He might take four from here.
Wouldn’t it depend on years of eligibility left? I think he tries to maximize the number of scholarships in 22. One year transfers to fill out rosters. Multi year transfers who can help build culture and win some games.

There have been rumors that a couple of players could look into the portal such as Gach, Williams and a young big. They were obviously recruited by the old staff and might be concerned about transfers coming in and taking their potential playing time.

Top Bottom