What does Coach Johnson do with the transfer portal?

I never said that. Quit inventing things up that I didn't say, to give yourself something to attack.

I'm saying he was hired because he was better than, e.g. Smith, at recruiting MN kids.

Great! So ...... oh, nevermind! We'll just get a bunch of non-MN kids. Well, couldn't Smith have done that??
Good grief. He was hired less than a week ago, but you're latching onto he was hired to recruit Minnesota as some sort of proof that Coyle really screwed up because people are speculating that a non-Minnesota might be one of Johnson's possibilities. Never mind you're basing this on the fact you don't have a clue about what Ben Johnson is actually doing.

There have been rumors that a couple of players could look into the portal such as Gach, Williams and a young big. They were obviously recruited by the old staff and might be concerned about transfers coming in and taking their potential playing time.
If they don't like competition why are they playing basketball?

he was hired to recruit Minnesota as some sort of proof that Coyle really screwed up because people are speculating that a non-Minnesota might be one of Johnson's possibilities.
Firstly, I don't believe for a second that that was the actual principle justification for overlooking BJ's complete lack of head coaching experience. Not for a second. I believe that was agreed upon to be the given reason, for the public to consume.

Secondly, I don't believe that BJ will have much, if any, more success at landing significant MN talent than his predecessors. What is significant? It means, at a talent level that is a noticible upgrade over what we already get. We're Big Ten. We've already been going out and getting 3* guys (at least) every year. So it means solid MN 4* players consistently, and sometimes reaching to grab a 5*. And the reason why I have little faith is simple: why should they? They can go to many places in the country. Winning places. Minnesota is not a winning place. Not right now. If/when it does become that, then I do believe things can change.

So, it means he's going to have to -- of course, just like all the guys before him -- get recruits out of state. And therefore, nullifying the given reason he was hired.

But of course, that wasn't the actual reason he was hired, in my opinion/guess.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat huge crows for breafast-lunch-and-dinner.

If they don't like competition why are they playing basketball?
Not only that but they're likely to face the same thing wherever they go unless they elect a significant drop down in conference level. I have some doubts about this reported story.

? Skipped grade or close to cutoff and parents decided to enroll early rather than hold back?

It's re-classifying. Good basketball players have been doing it for a bit. They can load up on classes in a semester or summer session to allow them to accelerate a semester or a year and graduate ahead. More kids did it this year due to COVID and HS seasons being canceled

It's re-classifying. Good basketball players have been doing it for a bit. They can load up on classes in a semester or summer session to allow them to accelerate a semester or a year and graduate ahead. More kids did it this year due to COVID and HS seasons being canceled
Thanks.

I knew a semester was possible from early football enrollees. Did not know a year was allowed.

Don't think young 17 year olds should be competing against 20-something year olds. But whatever

Thanks.

I knew a semester was possible from early football enrollees. Did not know a year was allowed.

Don't think young 17 year olds should be competing against 20-something year olds. But whatever

Not sure on Linder, but I know on some of these kids this year, they just did a semester early. So they came over in January for the rest of the season.

Going to be interesting to see the approach Johnson has for this season. Plenty of options to get the guys that fit his system (whatever that will be). A PG that can create opportunities for others and hit a 3 ball would be great. Adding a SG/SF that can also hit a 3 (especially when open) would also be a great. Not having some of his staff figured out is kind of concerning. How do you pitch your program without having guys to develop you in place? I get it’s a process but as a recruit I’d be hesitant.

So they came over in January for the rest of the season.
Is that normally allowed? I guess that makes sense, with bball being split over late fall and winter.

I'm usually thinking about strictly fall sports like football and volleyball (normally -- this year with a spring season they explicitly disallowed early spring enrollees from playing).

Lander cant play defense. It's why he barely played.
Are you saying playing defense is important in the Big Ten??

You'd think Pitino would've realized that in eight years. And BJ was on the staff ....

Is that normally allowed? I guess that makes sense, with bball being split over late fall and winter.

I'm usually thinking about strictly fall sports like football and volleyball (normally -- this year with a spring season they explicitly disallowed early spring enrollees from playing).
Gopher women had a player do it this year.

Jake

@jakeweingarten

Indiana transfer Armaan Franklin tells @Stockrisers he’s heard from Xavier, Butler, Minnesota, Louisville, Penn State, Clemson, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Georgia, Kansas State, Georgia Tech, and Virginia. Averaged over 11 points per game on 42% shooting

Doubt he’s going to be on our radar and probably wouldn’t even consider us, but Jordan Goldwire (Duke) is in the transfer portal as a grad transfer. Love how he plays. Old school PG who plays great defense.

Is that normally allowed?

It has always been allowed, but it happened a lot this year because the college year didn't count against college eligibility.

So, high school basketball players enrolled in college in January and got a "free" semester without using any eligibility. In normal years, they'd lose a year of eligibility. But, in this year, many high school seasons were cut short or no state tourney, etc., so they said go get a semester head start. Gopher women had one, Ohio State men had one, many others, too.

Sometimes high school guys accelerate and reclassify for an entire year. Race Thompson did that at Indiana a few years ago, redshirting as a freshman when he was supposed to be a high school senior. Khristian Lander did it this year, but played instead of redshirt since it didn't count as a year. Duke has had a couple of kids reclassify recently.

Doubt he’s going to be on our radar and probably wouldn’t even consider us, but Jordan Goldwire (Duke) is in the transfer portal as a grad transfer. Love how he plays. Old school PG who plays great defense.

He wasn't your typical Dukie (only a 3 star) but he played a lot. I'd love to see him come here if he were willing. I think you're right about not having much chance to get him. He's from Georgia and probably will have many good offers so I doubt he would come here unless he's interested in some graduate program at the U.

Marreon Jackson from Toledo said he has made contact wiht Minnesota according to twitter.....PG whos had some very impressive stats for all 4 years hes been there....dont know anything more then what his stats tell me though

Marreon Jackson from Toledo said he has made contact wiht Minnesota according to twitter.....PG whos had some very impressive stats for all 4 years hes been there....dont know anything more then what his stats tell me though

Top Bottom