What does Coach Johnson do with the transfer portal?

GopherPoke

Reaction score
There's already a thread fully dedicated to how bad the hire was today. Wondering, now that it's official, what coach does with Gophers or others in the portal. Do you think he'll have success in getting them to return, or newcomers to believe and sign?

Every coach has to use the transfer portal for players. I imagine he will be active in getting players and those that want to be Gophers.

Seems Robbins will be announcing he's in the portal soon. I hope I'm wrong and coach Johnson gets our top players to stay.

Xavier has three guys in the transfer portal and a Sr who is not coming back / looking to play elsewhere.

Do they follow him?

Thanks, GopherPoke. I'll try to keep being annoyed locked into the inevitable hundreds of fitting threads.

Ben Johnson could be a fun hire for this exact reason. I don't think it'll be the Chet's of the world, but it'll be fun for me to potentially see more MN players on the Gophers. I know that's hokey and provincial, but I'm a Minnesotan and I'm hokey and provincial.

I'd imagine he does what every coach does. He'll scan the list and try to fill known holes.

Dawson Garcia
Jamison Battle
Ish El-amin
Parker Fox

we brought him here to get MN kids!!
Does anyone know if El-Amin can play PG? His stats suggest he did not play point last year (2.9 APG in 33.5 min/game), but I have not watched much Ball State basketball...

Seems Robbins will be announcing he's in the portal soon. I hope I'm wrong and coach Johnson gets our top players to stay.
I hear theres a decent chance Conroy stays so I would think Robbins would too.

Kyky Tandy former 4 star is transfering from Xavier. 247 says Ben Johnson was his main recruiter.
Averaged 14 minutes a game and 6.6 pts. Combo Guard. Maybe Ben tries to bring him over? Would be a Junior next year.

CJ Wircher is another former 4 star transfering from Xaiver. He didnt play much last year as a Freshman.

Kyky Tandy former 4 star is transfering from Xavier. 247 says Ben Johnson was his main recruiter.
Averaged 14 minutes a game and 6.6 pts. Combo Guard. Maybe Ben tries to bring him over? Would be a Junior next year.

CJ Wircher is another former 4 star transfering from Xaiver. He didnt play much last year as a Freshman.

Kyky was Johnson’s highest rated recruit at X but he has been very underwhelming so far.

i wonder if Jarvis sticks around now that Johnson was hired....he was his main recruiter when he signed here...

not that Jarvis is a world beater....but he has a role

i wonder if Jarvis sticks around now that Johnson was hired....he was his main recruiter when he signed here...

not that Jarvis is a world beater....but he has a role
I would rather have Parker Fox, personally. I do like Jarvis though.

Johnson would be smart to hold onto Conroy to secure Robbins.

Then if he could land Garcia and some guards to go with Gabe, he could hit the ground running.

Recruiting well could ease his transition into the Head coaching ranks considerably.

Is Fox a SF? I know he is 6'8"

Does anyone know if El-Amin can play PG? His stats suggest he did not play point last year (2.9 APG in 33.5 min/game), but I have not watched much Ball State basketball...

I think he's more of the undersized 2/gunner guard bench type.

Not that I'm sneezing at that, we need shooting, I'd welcome Ish we could land him.

I think he's more of the undersized 2/gunner guard bench type.

Not that I'm sneezing at that, we need shooting, I'd welcome Ish we could land him.

I'm honestly open to every close MN kid. I'm not even being sarcastic. Lets jump into the deep end of this and see what happens. If there is a team with 7-8 MN kids that's decent, maybe it'll change the perception a bit.

I'd go after Garcia, Battle, Ish, Fox, etc.

Is Fox really cut out for P6 basketball? Aberdeen to Minnesota seems like a large jump. I've no clue what this kid is like on the floor, so if you do, fill me in.

Is Fox really cut out for P6 basketball? Aberdeen to Minnesota seems like a large jump. I've no clue what this kid is like on the floor, so if you do, fill me in.

From the Twitter report on him being in the portal, it sounded like he was being contacted by some very solid schools.

Top Bottom