Week 6 Other Games Thread

What a day for college football. Just a recap.
  • No. 6 Oklahoma defeated No. 21 Texas, 55-48
  • No. 13 Arkansas defeated No. 17 Ole Miss, 52-51
  • No. 19 Wake Forest defeated Syracuse in OT, 40-37
  • No. 3 Iowa defeated Penn State, 23-20
  • No. 9 Michigan defeated Nebraska, 32-29
  • No. 14 Notre Dame defeated Virginia Tech, 32-29
  • Texas A&M defeated No. 1 Alabama, 41-38

You got the Arkansas Mississippi score reversed! Ole Miss won 52-51

Impressive list. Wasn't as close as some of these others but Boise State also took down #10 BYU

Then you don't understand what an elite defense means to TEAM football. And much as it pains me to say it... Iowa has an elite defense and an elite special teams.

pains you to say it

ok

Honestly, I think PSU, with Clifford, was the better team yesterday. PSU's backup QB didn't look ready and fell right into Iowa's strength. That said, the score is the score and injuries are part of the game.
Yeah I agree —PSU better with Clifford in —but at the end of the day Iowa has the big W and that’s all their team or fans care about. I can just see it—they are probably still dancing in the streets in Iowa City

If the turnovers dry up and they don’t routinely get short fields… I don’t see them scoring many at all.
Correct.
I don’t think Purdue beats them this weekend but if they do…it could end up being a 3 loss division champion. Because it means wisconsin might beat them the week after that

Go[l] damn Kinnick. That farcking shite hole place is tough to win at.

Honestly, I think PSU, with Clifford, was the better team yesterday. PSU's backup QB didn't look ready and fell right into Iowa's strength. That said, the score is the score and injuries are part of the game.
Yup. We are a better team with Mo playing. Or with Trey playing. Injuries often determine the outcome of a game, and they also can determine the remaining season unless the team adapts. The Texas A&M back-up QB who took over after the starting QB was injured almost lost to Colorado; he was helpless. But this week that same back-up QB was instrumental in beating Alabama. If coaches adapt team strategies to the strengths of the players on the field, injuries to key personnel can be overcome. The converse is also true.

Penn State lost two QBs to transfers during the offseason including QB2 Will Levin. Roberson was put in a really tough spot on the road versus a great defense and loud crowd but man, he didn’t look good in the clutch. Maybe he’ll improve but Penn State‘s season could be derailed by their inability to keep their QBs.

Offense is averaging 33 points/game, yards don't tell the true story. Have #2 scoring defense. Field position.

That's basically making my point. Iowa struggles to sustain long scoring drives, especially against good teams. They rely heavily on the defense setting them up with a short field in order to score. The pace their defense has been on early this season is not sustainable IMO.

They had one scoring drive longer than 45 yards yesterday, which was the drive right after Clifford was injured. In the 2nd half they were able to get a 48 yard field goal starting at their own 25, the rest of the points came on a short field thanks to PSU's terrible QB play.

Iowa's punter is tied for the 13th most punts in the nation.

Last edited:

That's basically making my point. Iowa struggles to sustain long scoring drives, especially against good teams. They rely heavily on the defense setting them up with a short field in order to score. The pace their defense has been on early this season is not sustainable IMO.

They had one scoring drive longer than 45 yards yesterday, which was the drive right after Clifford was injured. In the 2nd half they were able to get a 48 yard field goal starting at their own 25, the rest of the points came on a short field thanks to PSU's terrible QB play.

They are very good at the field position game. Very good.

They are very good at the field position game. Very good.

Yes they are, but I wasn't arguing that. Overall, their offense is not very good. You can see that when you watch them play, and the numbers support it.

He’s also one of the best—I think—in the nation. That’s one of the big reasons why they win and will continue to win

Iowa #2 in the AP poll now. Man, I love how fast and opportunistic their defense is, but that's not a #2 team.

He’s also one of the best—I think—in the nation. That’s one of the big reasons why they win and will continue to win
Agree. At the end of the day, the only important stat is if the team won or lost.

Some Gopher fans must have short memories. In 2019, the Gophers barely beat three shitty OOC teams. The Gophs won 11 games that year. I don't remember too many people bitching about those three narrow wins on the way to 11?

Stats are for losers.

Top Bottom