We are ranked 20th!!!

Aside from whether or not it’s important, 20 feels like about where I’d put the gophers right now. Don’t have enough faith in the offense to be much higher, but can’t argue with the wins. Just keep winning and we’ll keep going up.
Hush

I have no designs on the Gophers actually winning out.....since OSU seems to be rounding into championship form......but it's crazy to think how the BG loss could potentially keep the Gophers out of the CFP. More realistically.....win the rest of the west games and lose in the BTCG.....and missing out on the Rose Bowl because of it.

Hoping that the silver lining here is that Fleck and company start taking the OOC games seriously....and taking off the handcuffs. We damn near blew the Miami of Ohio game as well. Think about our historic 2019 season. Three games against SD State, Fresno, and Georgia Southern to open the season. Honestly got lucky to not drop AT LEAST one of those.

There's simply no excuse for kneecapping your own team in those games. None. And this year that shit could potentially keep the Gophers from breaking a long Rose Bowl drought if things continue this way.

I have no designs on the Gophers actually winning out.....since OSU seems to be rounding into championship form......but it's crazy to think how the BG loss could potentially keep the Gophers out of the CFP. More realistically.....win the rest of the west games and lose in the BTCG.....and missing out on the Rose Bowl because of it.

Hoping that the silver lining here is that Fleck and company start taking the OOC games seriously....and taking off the handcuffs. We damn near blew the Miami of Ohio game as well. Think about our historic 2019 season. Three games against SD State, Fresno, and Georgia Southern to open the season. Honestly got lucky to not drop AT LEAST one of those.

There's simply no excuse for kneecapping your own team in those games. None. And this year that shit could potentially keep the Gophers from breaking a long Rose Bowl drought if things continue this way.

Before the season began, and before Mo went down, were you seeing the CFP or the Rose Bowl as likely or realistic outcomes for the Gophers 2021?

Why not simply enjoy being ranked #20 in the first CFP poll? It feels great, to me at least. Many good things are still possible. Living in regret is not a good way to exist.

Post of the day!!!

Before the season began, and before Mo went down, were you seeing the CFP or the Rose Bowl as likely or realistic outcomes for the Gophers 2021?

Why not simply enjoy being ranked #20 in the first CFP poll? It feels great, to me at least. Many good things are still possible. Living in regret is not a good way to exist.

What makes you think I'm not enjoying it? My hope is that the BG loss is going to force Fleck to change his approach to OOC G5 games. In 2019 we nearly got bit a few times. This year we were. Those are inexcusable losses to take....especially if the goal someday is to make it back to a Rose Bowl or possibly even make the CFP.

The closer we get to the end of the year....you really don't think Fleck and Co. aren't going to be looking at that blemish and thinking about how to never make that mistake again? After it happened....I think a lot of us were thinking we might just be looking at a decent season. Losses like that in just an okay year are one thing. But if that's the difference between a NY6 game and a tier lower.....whoops.

IMO.... maybe. It would depend on everyone else. We'd likely need two out of the three:

1. A weak big 12 champion w/ at least one loss (undefeated OU gets in before us)
2. Cinci loses a game
3. Oregon loses another

Winning our last 5 will be more improbable than this happening. But I'm all for it.
RTB - Ski-U-Mah - GO GOPHERS!!!
Top 4 from this list that exist go

1) Georgia at 13-0
2) 1 or 0 loss big ten champ
3) 1 loss SEC champ
4) 1 loss Georgia non SEC champ
5) 0 loss Big 12
6) 0 loss ACC champ
7) unbeaten cinci
8) 1 loss big 12 champ
9) 1 loss ACC champ
10) 1 loss pac 12 champ
11) 1 loss non big ten champ big ten team who didnt
12) 2 loss SEC champ
13) 2 loss big ten champ
14) 1 loss cinci
15) 1 loss Notre game

After that I don’t know. Need 4 from above list.

Minnesota would be 13
Need 9 of the 12 things above them to fall apart.

georgia and Minnesota winning out would eliminate 2, 3, 4, and 12

now you only need 5 things to happen.

Last edited:

1) Georgia at 13-0
3) 1 loss SEC champ
5) 0 loss Big 12
6) 0 loss ACC champ
7) unbeaten cinci
8) 1 loss big 12 champ
9) 1 loss ACC champ
10) 1 loss pac 12 champ
12) 2 loss SEC champ
13) 2 loss big ten champ
14) 1 loss cinci
15) 1 loss Notre game

Minnesota would be 13

georgia and Minnesota winning out would eliminate 2, 3, and 4

now you only need 6 things to happen.

I 90% agree with this. There is an oversight. Oregon doesn't fit into #10. They are #4 and will likely be in if they win out.

1) Georgia at 13-0
3) 1 loss SEC champ
5) 0 loss Big 12
6) 0 loss ACC champ
7) unbeaten cinci
8) 1 loss big 12 champ
9) 1 loss ACC champ
10) 1 loss pac 12 champ
12) 2 loss SEC champ
13) 2 loss big ten champ
14) 1 loss cinci
15) 1 loss Notre game

Minnesota would be 13

georgia and Minnesota winning out would eliminate 2, 3, and 4

now you only need 6 things to happen.
I'd quibble with number 9. The ACC looks really bad this year. If we run the table including a win against a top 5 OSU team in Indy, I bet we would go over a one loss Wake Forrest team (they only remaining ACC team with <2 losses). Wouldn't be shocked we didn't, and we certainly couldn't cry foul (we did lose to Bowling %&^*ing Green), but I think I'd bet even money on the Gophs if that situation played out.

I think Fleck is 13-1 in non-conference games including Bowl games.

I'd quibble with number 9. The ACC looks really bad this year. If we run the table including a win against a top 5 OSU team in Indy, I bet we would go over a one loss Wake Forrest team (they only remaining ACC team with <2 losses). Wouldn't be shocked we didn't, and we certainly couldn't cry foul (we did lose to Bowling %&^*ing Green), but I think I'd bet even money on the Gophs if that situation played out.
A 1 loss power 5 champ has never been left out in the history of the playoff except for a year where there were more than 4 0 and 1 loss power 5 champions.
TCU is the only one to get left out (the first year). There were 6 0 and 1 loss P5 champs that year

you might be right, but it would be setting a new precedent by the committee

A 1 loss power 5 champ has never been left out in the history of the playoff except for a year where there were more than 4 0 and 1 loss power 5 champions.
TCU is the only one to get left out (the first year). There were 6 0 and 1 loss P5 champs that year

you might be right, but it would be setting a new precedent by the committee
You also might be right. Has there been a P5 conference in the history of the CFP that is as bad as the ACC is this year? It would be breaking new ground, but the ACC could also be breaking new ground with ineptitude.

I think Fleck is 13-1 in non-conference games including Bowl games.

Yes. Do we really think that that record indicates he needs to make changes in game planning, overall concept, philosophy, whatever?

If so, I'm not seeing it.

You also might be right. Has there been a P5 conference in the history of the CFP that is as bad as the ACC is this year? It would be breaking new ground, but the ACC could also be breaking new ground with ineptitude.
The ACC was probably just as bad the first year. Unbeaten Florida State ended up being 3 seed with teams with losses in front of them.

Top to bottom, the PAC-12 has been pretty horrid some years.

Okay, you got me. Too much enthusiasm for a Minnesotan. Two minutes in the penalty box, or... whatever.

Can you link those posts of mine, please? Are all of them from the same week?

rodney-king-get-along.gif

;)

Isn't it great that we are going back and forth about the value of ranked and the potential importance of each upcoming win?

I'd like to see Cinci in the top 4 just for some new blood in the playoff but otherwise, I'm satisfied. (I know. I should be pulling for OSU to get another Big Ten team in.)
Plus, having tOSU in the CFP moves every other B1G team up the totem pole for bowl games which likely increases the conference payouts.

Reminds me of Bowling Green this Saturday. We need to pull it off.
Bowling Green should be a sufficient wake up call to last at least the rest of this season if not next year too. No excuses for a let down game.

Plus, having tOSU in the CFP moves every other B1G team up the totem pole for bowl games which likely increases the conference payouts.
Actually, I changed my mind. I hope Cincy does not make it then maybe those in charge will finally fix this flawed system they have now.

Actually, I changed my mind. I hope Cincy does not make it then maybe those in charge will finally fix this flawed system they have now.
The Iowa AD, head of the committee, wasn't wrong yesterday. Cincy has one, and only one, signature win. I think they're still too high.

Top Bottom