We are ranked 20th!!!

Aside from whether or not it’s important, 20 feels like about where I’d put the gophers right now. Don’t have enough faith in the offense to be much higher, but can’t argue with the wins. Just keep winning and we’ll keep going up.

WOW!!

The showing against Ohio state must have weighed very heavy to make them discount Bowling Green.

Herbstreit had some nice things to say about PJ and the program.
In which poll?

In which poll?

The only poll that matters at all. There's only one that counts for anything.

Or... maybe I'm wrong about that? Perhaps there are some defenders of one of the other polls who would like to refute me...

Imagine 8-0... if we're imagining things.

I'm imagining what woulda/shoulda/coulda have happened against tOSU if CrAB had been healthy... if Mo hadn't gone down... etc.

Then again, it's also easy to imagine what happens Saturday if that #20 becomes too distracting.
I'm imagining some of those late 1980s/early 1990s lady dancers on the hair band rock videos.

Okay, you got me. Too much enthusiasm for a Minnesotan. Two minutes in the penalty box, or... whatever.

Can you link those posts of mine, please? Are all of them from the same week?
Welcome to Team Rankings Do Matter! We’re glad to have you and your unwavering belief that rankings matter!

Those posts are all from three days ago in this thread. That link is the best I can do for now - I have issues linking posts from other threads.

What? You don't want to defend the AP poll?

C'mon, man!
Unless Minnesota is up top fighting for a playoff spot, I couldn't care less about the Selection Committee Rankings... or the AP, for that matter. It's fun for those who enjoy the rankings, though.

I just want Minnesota to go to 1-0 in the 2021 Illinois season... You take care of all that Ranking garbage, Murray... it's obviously important to you.

Welcome to Team Rankings Do Matter! We’re glad to have you and your unwavering belief that rankings matter!

Those posts are all from three days ago in this thread. That link is the best I can do for now - I have issues linking posts from other threads.

The CFP poll matters.

Unless Minnesota is up top fighting for a playoff spot, I couldn't care less about the Selection Committee Rankings... or the AP, for that matter. It's fun for those who enjoy the rankings, though.

I just want Minnesota to go to 1-0 in the 2021 Illinois season... You take care of all that Ranking garbage, Murray... it's obviously important to you.

You got it, Bub.

The CFP poll matters.
If you do care about who goes to the Rose Bowl in case of a tiebreaker then you're right it matters. It is one of the criteria.

Personally, just seeing the Gophers get to the Rose Bowl is on my bucket list, right up there with the Vikings winning a Super Bowl. I'm starting to lose hope with the Vikings and It's not like I'm really, really old.

Last edited:

Aside from whether or not it’s important, 20 feels like about where I’d put the gophers right now. Don’t have enough faith in the offense to be much higher, but can’t argue with the wins. Just keep winning and we’ll keep going up.
Agreed. Lots of time left to move up. Not sure where they were in '19, but I think it was similar to this (maybe better, but I'm lazy and didn't check) before that Iowa gameand playoffs were in the discussion.

Something to keep in mind, they were discussing teams who played against teams with backup QB's and teams who are winning although with injured players missing.

If we finish with some resounding wins, we'll get attention and the story of losing to Bowling Green because our #1 back was missing could play a factor.

Something to keep in mind, they were discussing teams who played against teams with backup QB's and teams who are winning although with injured players missing.

If we finish with some resounding wins, we'll get attention and the story of losing to Bowling Green because our #1 back was missing could play a factor.
Actually, I think it was the OL that really sucked in that game but I get your point.

I love Trey, Bucko, Ky and Bryce... but to be honest, I have a hard time seeing us losing to Bowling Green with a healthy Mo.

Our other backs are excellent, but I have to believe that Mo would have made some sort of difference in a 4 point game.

Imagine 8-0... if we're imagining things.

I'm imagining what woulda/shoulda/coulda have happened against tOSU if CrAB had been healthy... if Mo hadn't gone down... etc.

Then again, it's also easy to imagine what happens Saturday if that #20 becomes too distracting.
Losing Howden, in my opinion, was the biggest injury loss in that game.

Being ranked #20 matters because it impacts perception of the program and when we do beat IA and WI will impact how high we end up. Yes winning the next 4 matters more than a poll, but where you are at in the poll will determine which bowl we end up in after we win those games. If we want the Rose Bowl, than this poll matters.

Being ranked #20 matters because it impacts perception of the program and when we do beat IA and WI will impact how high we end up. Yes winning the next 4 matters more than a poll, but where you are at in the poll will determine which bowl we end up in after we win those games. If we want the Rose Bowl, than this poll matters.

Yes. This poll matters. The CFP poll matters.

The poll that had Nebraska ranked at the beginning of the season (i'm sure there was one) doesn't matter at all. Not even a little.

As long as one of the west teams ends up being ranked after we do a western sweep, it would be good for us.
It could be Purdue for all we know.
Probably not Nebraska.

Top Bottom