WCCO Football Story

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! Beginning of stealing other people hard work ? What a bunch of crooks. View attachment 12787

The media is always looking to use pictures and video for free in order to help drive stories to bring in viewers.

If you ever capture something worthwhile on camera and the media reaches out to you to air it, never do it for free.

Story could have simply been “The Need for Student Athletes to Unionize.” However that’s not what was the focus.

interestingly enough the NCAA is looking to calm down practices as I saw tweets about that yesterday.

Norton was also only on campus for 2 months. He arrived later then all of the FR (August) and decided to transfer by October. For the sake of the argument, lets assume the U coaches are horrible people.
College football is hard work. You have to compete from the get go. You come late, you are going to be setback in development against your peers. It is unfortunate that he got hurt early on. I don't know his circumstances or mindset. I think he had tremendous pressure on his shoulders, and was unable to deal with it. Some kids are more fragile. It does not mean that they cannot develop to their full potential.

David Cobb is a good shining example.

What I find most interesting about this story is that the "expert" on the athlete's mental and physical wellbeing is a former history professor.

WCCO really couldn't have found someone who is actually qualified for this investigation?
We all learned about the importance of credible experts in the Derek Chauvin trial.

I'll simply say this: I need something a lot more concrete than vague accusations from freaking Liz Collin and the statements of Jason Stahl before I get into a twist over this. As for the former players? Maybe college football isn't for you. Good luck in your future endeavors! Sorry things didn't work for you at Minnesota.

I don't get the piece on Riegelsperger. Based on his tweet, he has high regards for the program.
Though now he has taken a hard turn towards communism, workers rights and social justice so maybe it's inline with his progression of beliefs

Wonder if Burns knew what the story was all about. Not sure I'd donate my work to a station that was working on a story attacking the Gophers. What was he thinking?
Pretty sure that Burns had nothing to do with the photo being used without permission. It was obtained without consent. He was just calling attention to the fact that it was used (probably copied from his site) and he received no credit.

Reigelsperger is an advocate for player safety, health and continued support from the institution (medical, mental health or other), and I interpret his comments and the selected clips from the story that he was led to believe the story would be about more that angle, and not this specific targeting of Fleck and the U.
I think that angle could have made for a better story and been a more important topic. Certainly there are a lot of things the NCAA needs to work on in general. Instead it’s just a pretty baseless smear campaign. It’s a prime example of very poor journalism and rightfully seems to be getting panned.

Last edited:

This town must be starving for negative sensational news, they had to manufacture one. People from out of town must be chuckling at our local sports media.
Negative news get clicks whereas positive stories don't.

I think that angle could have made for a better story and been a more important topic. Certainly there are a lot of things the NCAA needs to work on in general. Instead it’s just a pretty baseless smear campaign. It’s a prime example of very poor journalism and rightfully seems to be getting panned.
There is a story somewhere in that mess about player safety perhaps but the way it was presented and framed was just terrible. To try and make it about the U of M was stupid as this story could have been done about every single power 5 program in the country.

Football is a violent game, players get hurt. Sometimes freak injuries like the one that happened to Edmunds happen when a guy does something stupid like hit another player during a non full-go drill.

The sad part is that they chose to give Stahl a massive platform to peddle his BS.

gopherfan007.....Welcome back! Oh, how I've missed you....
He was in here yesterday saying this story had legs. Wonder if he still feels the same after seeing it. Really unfortunate to see WCCO run with that trash. Mike Max was going to be interviewed about that story on WCCO radio this morning. Wonder if he had anything interesting to say about it or if he will try and distance himself from it the way other media members have been.

Stahl, disgruntled former employee, whose not a fan of conservatism or Fleck...has 300 Twitter followers... writes for Substack (where your paid by the nbr of subscription to your site)...Wants player unions...no hard practices...and its not fair players are courted and then have to compete for a position (equity). I want to see a report comparing UofM to other B1G schools.

gopherfan007.....Welcome back! Oh, how I've missed you....
No he is around just reading the messages like cowards and crooks. I wish Mrs Kroll was as concern as minority like me getting gunned down in broad daylight by her husband police force. Over-woke, so-called journalist Stahl want take profit from college football. For many minority student athletes, it is the way to move forward. Another white folk with savior mindset trying to take profit. Thanks but no thanks. Not trying to offend anyone and I have no problem with people from different backgrounds.

Stahl, disgruntled former employee, whose not a fan of conservatism or Fleck...has 300 Twitter followers... writes for Substack (where your paid by the nbr of subscription to your site)...Wants player unions...no hard practices...and its not fair players are courted and then have to compete for a position (equity). I want to see a report comparing UofM to other B1G schools.
Some of those characterizations are weird. I'm not sure how his views on conservatism or number of twitter followers really matter ... even a players union. To me none of those necessarily go along with any of what has happened. I could easily see some other person with the opposite of those traits making the same accusations / axe to grind.

There is going to be a part 2 tonight, with some Board of Regents members expressing their concern over the injury issues.

Corey Hepola blasting WCCO TV Story on WCCO radio. Glad he is speaking out against it and not being forced to support it because of the WCCO connection.
Other than the call letters, there is no longer any formal corporate connection between WCCO radio and WCCO TV.

No he is around just reading the messages like cowards and crooks. I wish Mrs Kroll was as concern as minority like me getting gunned down in broad daylight by her husband police force. Over-woke, so-called journalist Stahl want take profit from college football. For many minority student athletes, it is the way to move forward. Another white folk with savior mindset trying to take profit. Thanks but no thanks. Not trying to offend anyone and I have no problem with people from different backgrounds.

Take your social justice propaganda to the OT board douchey.
This thread is about an awful WCCO football story.

Take your social justice propaganda to the OT board douchey.
This thread is about an awful WCCO football story.
Why should I take it to there it is the case here. I have right to express my opinion, Dont like what I said. press Ignore. Simple as such. Also I am far from social justice propagandist. No social justice folks would use the word over-woke.

Other than the call letters, there is no longer any formal corporate connection between WCCO radio and WCCO TV.
Interesting. Don't they occasional share "talent" though?

Definitely not an overblown sense of self at all. Originally came on here to clear the air with what happened and not be belittled by die-hard gopher keyboard warriors. Should've I done things differently? Sure. And most definitely not obsessed with the program at all. It was a dream come true being able to work for the team, but was horrified by things that I saw and how people were treated.

I'll say this much, being a D1 athlete, specially at a Power 5 conference in a high contact sport like football is not rainbows and unicorns.

I suspect it is certainly a life not for everyone. You see it with high star recruits too sometimes, just not a lifestyle they want.

I suspect there are a lot of guys who were never really challenged by an adult in high school, really don't respond well when someone gets in their face in college.

At practice I think it was Faalele who PJ said something to him earlier this year. Faalele walked off the field, collected himself, and went back out there. I got the impression that for the coach's it wasn't even about doing better as much as going back out and trying harder in the face of being challenged.

PJ said he just wanted to see how Faalele would respond and come back to the game. He did, and that's all PJ wanted, see the guy come back and try again.

Some guys, that doesn't work for them, I don't think that's wrong, but it's also not wrong for the coach to challenge them.

Last edited:

Top Bottom