WCCO Football Story

I liked at the end where they implied Fleck was some sort of lunatic (he just might be) and there was turnover on the coaching staff because people ran away, refusing to work for him.

I liked at the end where they implied Fleck was some sort of lunatic (he just might be) and there was turnover on the coaching staff because people ran away, refusing to work for him.
The "anonymous" coach who said players are manipulated....I'm glad they could get Kill to talk about his buddy PJ

I figured the story was going to be weak....I didn't expect it to be THAT weak. They honestly had nothing of any true substance in there, this exact same story could be done on any Power 5 team in the country, you would just need to swap the jerseys.

Can someone map out each recruiting classes from 2010 and see how many of each recruit is still around after two years? Career changing injuries, not being able to crack the starting lineup, homesickness, etc... Do the same thing for other teams in the Big Ten. I wouldn't be surprised if you find the same to be true of any team. This is the nature of the sport. Injuries happen. This will never change. It is unfortunate that some of these are serious injuries or even death like in the case of that Maryland Offensive Lineman. That particular case was on the coaches.

When Jerry Kill's team played TCU, the team had so many injuries that year. In 2019, IIRC PJ Fleck mentioned that they tweaked the way they practice to allow for recovery. It is quite a huge task to handle 100-105 football players and keep the eye on the price. D1 college football is not for the faint hearted. PJ Fleck has to constantly out recruit the current roster to improve the team's chances of winning a title. There is a narrow road to travel as you approach greatness.

Last edited:

Would actually be interested if BTN/Fox had former coaches Mason, DiNardo, and Meyer were to offer their thoughts.

Not worried.

Surprised that WCCO decided to run it as there is such little substance, and nothing that sets Fleck / the U apart.

I don’t know how much of a difference it makes, but there is a zero percent chance Madison, Lincoln or IC media would ever run a story like this. It’s like they actively want a gopher scandal. For someone like Fleck who tries to prioritize community, I could see this being particularly frustrating.

A small minority of college football players suffer serious injuries in practice. It isn’t a big secret. It is everywhere; nothing different on the Gophers than on other teams—except that the Gopher offer psychological and counseling support. Criticizing the good guys. Poor, desperate, sad, irrelevant, pointless, inexplicably naive WCCO. I remember when WCCO was a leader in the Twin Cities, not a hopeless abandoned caboose left behind at a siding. This story will produce some acrimony and perhaps even a little outrage—90% of which should be directed toward WCCO. Hate to see any local station shoot itself in the foot ... with a bazooka ... but that is the double-edged sword which is freedom of the press.

Last edited:

Surprised that WCCO decided to run it as there is such little substance, and nothing that sets Fleck / the U apart.

I don’t know how much of a difference it makes, but there is a zero percent chance Madison, Lincoln or IC media would ever run a story like this. It’s like they actively want a gopher scandal. For someone like Fleck who tries to prioritize community, I could see this being particularly frustrating.
Man in Lincoln they didn't even raise much of an eyebrow over the thing with Washington....like that was not gud...

I read through some of the hit jobs on this Stahl guy's website just to see what would be coming tonight and even WCCO did not seem to want to get to far out front on some Stahl's assertions, made in his own written "work".

In his blog story, Stahl really was outraged about the Grant Norton situation, and went pretty far in blaming Fleck, and making assertions of medical mapractice, yet WCCO sort of danced around that.

As pointed out, the Edmond's head to the turf hit, and the hit to the neck of #30 Alex Reigelsperger were one time incidents with a bad outcome, yet somehow they were indictments of the program?

It appeared WCCO was selectively editing Reigelsperger's comments, and how anyone can be surprised that P5 teams have full out scrimmages in spring practice is not credible. Some kid from Ohio of all places, was "terrified" because of full contact scrimmages in the spring???? I do not get that at all. These comments are not very credible to me at least

The mean, horrible PJ never called or sent flowers later angle was pretty weak too. I bet LIz Collin was not too happy about being ordered to be the face of this steaming pile of crap.

It may be a superficial observation, but I could not stop being annoyed by the outfit the creepty ex professor Stahl somehow decided was a good way to present himself in for his big moment on TV, I think all he was missing was one of JIm Carter's scarves. This self promoter did not come off well at all in this hit piece.

I don't get the piece on Riegelsperger. Based on his tweet, he has high regards for the program.

This town must be starving for negative sensational news, they had to manufacture one. People from out of town must be chuckling at our local sports media.

I don't get the piece on Riegelsperger. Based on his tweet, he has high regards for the program.
Reigelsperger is an advocate for player safety, health and continued support from the institution (medical, mental health or other), and I interpret his comments and the selected clips from the story that he was led to believe the story would be about more that angle, and not this specific targeting of Fleck and the U.

From what I gathered they totally edited his interview And grabbed the parts that fit their story.

Some of this reporting is weak. Like Fleck’s staff has turnover? Okay? Anyone who follows the team could tell you that happened (and sometimes for promotion or other reasons than just PJ is a bad guy) or in sports that happens especially with lower level and assistant coaches all the time. And waiting to until the end to say that their numbers matched another school (and others probably don’t want to release theirs due to being more than Minnesota most likely)? Like this seems way overblown especially based on the trailer they gave.
PJ Fleck has said in the past that he welcomes his assistant coaches getting a break into moving up the coaching ranks like he had. He is gladly paying it forward. Harasymiak was in the running for the head coaching position at Buffalo where Mo Linguist beat him out. PJ Fleck is expanding his coaching tree. So, I don't get why Stahl was making it sound like there is an atmosphere at the U were assistant coaches can't wait to get out.

Last edited:

It must be desperate time for both Mrs. Kroll and Mr. Stahl. One is the significant other of POW and the other is Hyper-Woke Journalist wanna be. Must be looking for rating boost or career boost. They came out stupid. Judging by response from other sport journalist on twitter, it is not a good looks. They even use other people IP such as photos without giving any credit. Just sad day for both.

Last edited:

Seemed more like a general expose on some things that suck about college football / athletics wrapped up as a panic piece about Gopher football and PJ Fleck

Wonder if Burns knew what the story was all about. Not sure I'd donate my work to a station that was working on a story attacking the Gophers. What was he thinking?

Top Bottom