Washington

Best player breakdown in some time. Thanks CRG!

QUOTE=Costa Rican Gopher;520961]You have the superior athletes, the superior record & the experience edge. That said we're only 1 point underdogs & our young team is playing very well right now.

C- Elliot Eliason 7' R-Fr: He's a very talented Freshman who runs the floor very well, is coordinated for a young 7' footer, is scrappy & a fantastic passer out of the high post. Like most young bigs he's foul prone & his offensive game is clumsy. I could see him being in foul trouble all game long. If not he'll score 8pts & grab 8rebs.

PF-Rodney Williams 6'7" Jr: Rodney despite all your talented players will be the most athletic player on the floor. He's a human-highlight-reel of sick dunks & put-backs. We've waited for years now for that athletic ability to translate into real-time basketball results & only now at the end of his Jr year is he showing it. The last part of the season & in the NIT specifically he's been a monster!! He's averaging about 20 a game over the past 6 games. He'll find lanes to swooping dunks, work the baseline & sneak out of nowhere for a couple massive put-backs. If his still-developing shot isn't falling it makes him pretty one-dimensional, but he's playing sensational right now.

PF-Andre Ingram 6'7" Jr: Andre's the 12th man on our bench & played very little this season after transferring in from a Juco. In limited action he was brutal. In the NIT he's been forced to play quite a bit due to injuries & has impressed though! Against Miami Fla. he had a career game with a gutsy performance against bigger players. He played within himself bodying up on defense, rebounding hard, making put-backs & free throws. Andre is a scrapper who should never take a shot that's not a put-back & he's a poor passer but will likely have to play minutes against UW.

F-Oto Osiencks 6'8" R-Fr: From Latvia his reputation coming from Prep School was as a sharp shooter, 3- point guy. He's turned out to be more girtty & versatile than that & I like his future but he's still a bit player as a Freshman & prone to mistakes.

SF-Joe Coleman 6'4" Fr: Joe's an undersized forward who's scrappy, drives well, has good confidence & is a good overall player. He's shown flashes of greatness in fact, but he's also had ups & downs. After blowing the doors off of several teams he went scoreless for several games as teams realized he had NO jump shot. That's the scouting report...put a bigger body squarely in front of him & dare him to shoot a jumper.

SG-Austin Hollins 6'4" Soph: Austin's a smart player (Dad's Lionel Hollins Coach of the Grizzlies) who's slender & unimpressive physically. He's a silent assassin though who's rangy, plays good defense & has a nice mid-range stroke. He'll hit shots coming off picks & curls. He'll quietly score 14pts & grabs 5rebs.

SG-Chip Armelin 6'4" Soph: Chuck-it-up-Chip is an enigma. He's as athletic as just about anyone on the team (except for Rodney) but he's totally undisciplined & thus lives in Tubby's doghouse. He has however been our team MVP 3-4 times this year which is impressive for the #10-11 guy on your bench & has been known to provide a spark when it's needed.

PG-Andre Hollins 6'1" Fr: Dre is the straw the stirs the drink. A dynamic PG. He's only a Freshman & didn't take ownership of the team until late in the season but it's undoubtedly Dre's team now & that's why we're winning now. He was All B1G tourney team & is playing out of this world. If he's better than your guards, like he has been against LaSalle/Miami/MTSU then we'll win.

PG-Julian Welch 6'3" Jr: Welch is a Juco transfer in his 1st year with us & is best described as "dependable". He's a step slow, not the best passer or ball handler but he runs the team well & is a dangerous spot up shooter.

PG-Maverick Ahanmisi 6'2" Soph: No one wants to see Mav play, but he probably will. Mav is not very athletic, not a great shooter, not a great ball handler or defender. Many fans would like to see him transfer out. Due to your guard depth I think he'll have to play some.

Overall....It puzzles me that UW is only a 1 point favorite? You out-man us (our starters, depth & quality of depth imo) up front & in the back court. If we have an injury or foul trouble in either department we'll have to roll out someone who's an inferior player to yours. I expect a Washington victory.[/QUOTE]

comparison

Washington has a huge size advantage on the perimeter: about 2 inches per man. Washington is a good rebounding team, but shoots it poorly from 2 and from the free throw line. Washington has issues with turnovers just like we do, but they play a lot more uptempo.

If I were Tubby, i would consider triangle and two on the two shooters: Wilcox and Ross. Not that I wouldn't start with a man.

They don't have much depth and I'm not sure if they like to do the "dirty work": fight for lose balls, floor burns, get physical. They definitely have more NBA talent.

If we play with heart like we have been, we have an excellent chance to get this one.

The Gopher's will "OWN" the Garden fans. Yorker's love teams form the sticks. If you asked a Yorker where Minnesota is they would tell you between Missouri and the Candian border. Trust me, been to New York and Minnesota could be a province in Canada for all they know. One thing is for certain, they hate teams from the West Coast. Dodger's, Laker's, you name it.

Washington has a huge size advantage on the perimeter: about 2 inches per man. Washington is a good rebounding team, but shoots it poorly from 2 and from the free throw line. Washington has issues with turnovers just like we do, but they play a lot more uptempo.

If I were Tubby, i would consider triangle and two on the two shooters: Wilcox and Ross. Not that I wouldn't start with a man.

They don't have much depth and I'm not sure if they like to do the "dirty work": fight for lose balls, floor burns, get physical. They definitely have more NBA talent.

If we play with heart like we have been, we have an excellent chance to get this one.

UW will play a 7 man rotation. Gaddy, Wroten, Wilcox, Ross, Gant, Aziz, Simmons. Yep, not as much depth. Romar's teams usually run 9-10 deep. Not this year.

UW is traditionally aggressive, blue collar, in your face pressure man D, uptempo, all out effort...but this year this team is not that. So to answer your assumption no, this team doesn't always do the 'dirty work'.

I doubt it happens but I would love to see a Ross - Williams matchup, that would tell me alot about Rodneys ability to play in the NBA. He's been playing better offensively and has been absolutely lock down on defense. If he could do that against someone of that caliber I'm sure the NBA scouts would take notice.

QUOTE=Costa Rican Gopher;520961]You have the superior athletes, the superior record & the experience edge. That said we're only 1 point underdogs & our young team is playing very well right now.

C- Elliot Eliason 7' R-Fr: He's a very talented Freshman who runs the floor very well, is coordinated for a young 7' footer, is scrappy & a fantastic passer out of the high post. Like most young bigs he's foul prone & his offensive game is clumsy. I could see him being in foul trouble all game long. If not he'll score 8pts & grab 8rebs.

PF-Rodney Williams 6'7" Jr: Rodney despite all your talented players will be the most athletic player on the floor. He's a human-highlight-reel of sick dunks & put-backs. We've waited for years now for that athletic ability to translate into real-time basketball results & only now at the end of his Jr year is he showing it. The last part of the season & in the NIT specifically he's been a monster!! He's averaging about 20 a game over the past 6 games. He'll find lanes to swooping dunks, work the baseline & sneak out of nowhere for a couple massive put-backs. If his still-developing shot isn't falling it makes him pretty one-dimensional, but he's playing sensational right now.

PF-Andre Ingram 6'7" Jr: Andre's the 12th man on our bench & played very little this season after transferring in from a Juco. In limited action he was brutal. In the NIT he's been forced to play quite a bit due to injuries & has impressed though! Against Miami Fla. he had a career game with a gutsy performance against bigger players. He played within himself bodying up on defense, rebounding hard, making put-backs & free throws. Andre is a scrapper who should never take a shot that's not a put-back & he's a poor passer but will likely have to play minutes against UW.

F-Oto Osiencks 6'8" R-Fr: From Latvia his reputation coming from Prep School was as a sharp shooter, 3- point guy. He's turned out to be more girtty & versatile than that & I like his future but he's still a bit player as a Freshman & prone to mistakes.

SF-Joe Coleman 6'4" Fr: Joe's an undersized forward who's scrappy, drives well, has good confidence & is a good overall player. He's shown flashes of greatness in fact, but he's also had ups & downs. After blowing the doors off of several teams he went scoreless for several games as teams realized he had NO jump shot. That's the scouting report...put a bigger body squarely in front of him & dare him to shoot a jumper.

SG-Austin Hollins 6'4" Soph: Austin's a smart player (Dad's Lionel Hollins Coach of the Grizzlies) who's slender & unimpressive physically. He's a silent assassin though who's rangy, plays good defense & has a nice mid-range stroke. He'll hit shots coming off picks & curls. He'll quietly score 14pts & grabs 5rebs.

SG-Chip Armelin 6'4" Soph: Chuck-it-up-Chip is an enigma. He's as athletic as just about anyone on the team (except for Rodney) but he's totally undisciplined & thus lives in Tubby's doghouse. He has however been our team MVP 3-4 times this year which is impressive for the #10-11 guy on your bench & has been known to provide a spark when it's needed.

PG-Andre Hollins 6'1" Fr: Dre is the straw the stirs the drink. A dynamic PG. He's only a Freshman & didn't take ownership of the team until late in the season but it's undoubtedly Dre's team now & that's why we're winning now. He was All B1G tourney team & is playing out of this world. If he's better than your guards, like he has been against LaSalle/Miami/MTSU then we'll win.

PG-Julian Welch 6'3" Jr: Welch is a Juco transfer in his 1st year with us & is best described as "dependable". He's a step slow, not the best passer or ball handler but he runs the team well & is a dangerous spot up shooter.

PG-Maverick Ahanmisi 6'2" Soph: No one wants to see Mav play, but he probably will. Mav is not very athletic, not a great shooter, not a great ball handler or defender. Many fans would like to see him transfer out. Due to your guard depth I think he'll have to play some.

Overall....It puzzles me that UW is only a 1 point favorite? You out-man us (our starters, depth & quality of depth imo) up front & in the back court. If we have an injury or foul trouble in either department we'll have to roll out someone who's an inferior player to yours. I expect a Washington victory.
[/QUOTE]

You're too kind Vaporboy:eek:

Good game Udub123. Our team is clicking right now. It's like playing having a hot goalie in the hockey playoffs. We'll beat the Cardinal by more than 1 so you can say UW was the best PAC team this season. Interested to hear your game thoughts?

Top Bottom